PDA

View Full Version : Stopping in Franklin,NC 2008

Ron Haven
12-26-2007, 00:36
I have listed several new things happining and going on.Alcohol is served now in restaurants and bars now..An small excellent breakfast restaurant. New all you can eat buffets.The April Fool Hiker Bash.Shuttle info,computers, and other places with hiker intrest.Click on this link for details.:) http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114

Marta
12-26-2007, 09:41
Alcohol is served now in restaurants and bars now..

I thought I felt the earth shake recently...:D

Puppy
12-26-2007, 10:12
Thanks for the info Ron..

I plan on visiting your place, sounds like great service!

Puppy.

iesman69
12-26-2007, 11:13
Ron, guess you won't have to hot-rod it to the GA line for alcohol anymore like you did in the "old" days, huh?!

You shuttled us(girlfriend and me) back to Franklin from the Beech Creek trailhead back in Oct., and I'm hoping you'll be around to drop me off there again in May 08! You're the go-to guy for sure!

solace
12-26-2007, 11:20
Anyone who's thinking of hiking right past Franklin on thier way to the NOC should reconsider. Franklin is a GREAT town with some great food, good people, and if you have never met Ron Haven... well, let's just say he's the stuff trail stories are made of! (That and you have to hear his tales!)
AND BE SURE NOT TO MISS THE APRIL FOOLS BASH, NOW IN ITS 4TH YEAR! WHAT A GREAT TIME! FOOD, LIVE MUSIC AND A GREAT WAY TO CATCH UP W/ YOUR FELLOW HIKERS FROM THE START!

See you all there ! SOLACE

xanadu
12-26-2007, 11:47
Oh know......... You guys are really making things interesting.
This will be my first ever hike and I have no idea how many miles I will hike and where I will end up after 2 weeks. I told my wife I 'll be gone for 10 days or so, so I think I should be able to make Franklin, just don't know when . The party sounds good !!

Ron Haven
12-26-2007, 13:07
I thought I felt the earth shake recently...:DI've heard things like that happen after a thru hike:-? thanks for the nice compliments trail friends.And those stories :o I have been thinking of going back over to the studios and making a new CD.

I had a fellow to tell me that the reason these mountain stories started around here was because parents were so close a kin.I told him we couldn't help it.He said "couldn't help it?what in the hell does that supposed to mean? Couldn't help it"?

I said"I went all the way to California and married a girl from another race,less than 6 months later unsolved mystries aired this story about these 2 sisters who hadn't saw each other in 50 years wound up being mine and her grandmothers".:dance

Ron Haven
01-13-2008, 14:12
Oh know......... You guys are really making things interesting.
This will be my first ever hike and I have no idea how many miles I will hike and where I will end up after 2 weeks. I told my wife I 'll be gone for 10 days or so, so I think I should be able to make Franklin, just don't know when . The party sounds good !!it is a great party http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/pics/smilies/party.gif

Sly
01-13-2008, 14:38
Ron, guess you won't have to hot-rod it to the GA line for alcohol anymore like you did in the "old" days, huh?!

:confused: I thought it was the other way around, that the 'shine was brought to GA?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2008, 14:41
:confused: I thought it was the other way around, that the 'shine was brought to GA?

he means you don't have to drive to the GA line to buy alcohol. Franklin was dry until recently

Cindy from Indy
01-14-2008, 08:47
Anyone who's thinking of hiking right past Franklin on thier way to the NOC should reconsider. Franklin is a GREAT town with some great food, good people, and if you have never met Ron Haven... well, let's just say he's the stuff trail stories are made of! (That and you have to hear his tales!)
AND BE SURE NOT TO MISS THE APRIL FOOLS BASH, NOW IN ITS 4TH YEAR! WHAT A GREAT TIME! FOOD, LIVE MUSIC AND A GREAT WAY TO CATCH UP W/ YOUR FELLOW HIKERS FROM THE START!

See you all there ! SOLACE

I've already got Ron's place on my itinerary!!! It will be a nice change of pace after some heavy duty hiking. See you about May 1st Ron!!! :)

gold bond
01-14-2008, 09:59
Hey Ron you know that in the past anytime I've been within shoutin' distance I have popped in and seen you! "Franklin and Ron Haven are a must see while hikin' the AT!!"

Think Spring
01-14-2008, 16:47
Thanks for the update, Ron. I'll should be seeing you about mid March,... (15th?)... for a night at Budget, some *real* food,...(pub grub?)..., and to retreive a "drop box" with goodies to take me to Fontana. Are you still "posted" at Winding Stair from 0900 to 1100 each day for the shuttle to Budget? BTW, the rest of you folks should SERIOUSLY consider taking advantage of a SUPER "trial friendly town", Franklin.:sun

Ron Haven
01-14-2008, 22:02
Hey Ron you know that in the past anytime I've been within shoutin' distance I have popped in and seen you! "Franklin and Ron Haven are a must see while hikin' the AT!!"Gold bond stop ehen you can,Think Spring I will be on a scedule ruo from March til May.Any other time or arriving in the evenings call us at (828)524-4403 and we will come for you.:)

Ron Haven
01-14-2008, 23:41
I've already got Ron's place on my itinerary!!! It will be a nice change of pace after some heavy duty hiking. See you about May 1st Ron!!! :)I will be looking for ya,Indy was my dads favorite town.

Jim Adams
01-14-2008, 23:51
Ron,
stayed at the Saphire on my way down to Springer for New Years but missed ya.
was hoping to see ya on Springer for New Years...didn't see ya there either.
guess i'll have to stop on my way to Low Gap for St. Patrick's Day.
see ya soon.

geek

darkage
01-14-2008, 23:54
Awesome, just the info i needed .... brother and i will be thro in 2k8 ... heard alot of good things !! .. i look forward to those buffets =]

darkage
01-14-2008, 23:58
doh!! can't edit here ...

Ron, i noticed it says shuttles end daily in may, where planing for late may ... but won't hit franklin till first week or so in april, can we still get a shuttle for a fee?

longwe tru
01-15-2008, 00:42
Ron,

Look for me to visit you on my way thru...

Ron Haven
01-15-2008, 03:48
Ron,
stayed at the Saphire on my way down to Springer for New Years but missed ya.
was hoping to see ya on Springer for New Years...didn't see ya there either.
guess i'll have to stop on my way to Low Gap for St. Patrick's Day.
see ya soon.

geeksorry I missed you but if you down in the south I'll run into I hope.And asking about shuttles year around if you call us.Mar until May I run several trips in the morning,In the evenings starting ar 4pm I run a shuttle around town in Mar & Apr too.

solace
01-15-2008, 12:07
March 29 & 30th is a MUST! For Franklin, NC, our annual APRIL FOOLS BASH! Great food! Live music! SOme local outfitters! And the best of people! Y'all come on down! I'll be there & I know the chef personally, haha! No one puts on a time like Ron Haven!

Ron Haven
01-15-2008, 23:33
doh!! can't edit here ...

Ron, i noticed it says shuttles end daily in may, where planing for late may ... but won't hit franklin till first week or so in april, can we still get a shuttle for a fee?I can take care of a shuttle for you. :)

atpaul
01-23-2008, 16:51
Everybody has to stop in Franklin, if not for anything else just to meet Ron. He is awesome. Ron shuttled my wife and I last October. We will need another in May for a section to the NOC
Thanks for being there for all the hikers.
Paul and Lulu :D

Ron Haven
01-23-2008, 18:56
Everybody has to stop in Franklin, if not for anything else just to meet Ron. He is awesome. Ron shuttled my wife and I last October. We will need another in May for a section to the NOC
Thanks for being there for all the hikers.
Paul and Lulu :DThanks ATPaul.I am looking forward to the 2008 hiker season.Looking for all to have a great year.http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/pics/smilies/driving.gifAnd I'll bring you in and out of Franklin if you would like to stop in.

Kirby
01-23-2008, 19:23
I plan on stopping in Franklin for an over night.

Yes, I will be staying (if not full), with Ron at his business.

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2008, 19:24
You'd be crazy not to.

zephyr
01-23-2008, 20:39
I past three of the first four thru hikers January 21 near Bly Gap and recommended Frankin to them. I was out for a day hike from Otto area.

MattMan
01-23-2008, 23:16
Alcohol is served now in restaurants and bars now..
Thats all I need to hear

Ron Haven
01-24-2008, 10:55
I plan on stopping in Franklin for an over night.

Yes, I will be staying (if not full), with Ron at his business.

KirbyI have 50 rooms but if I was to be full I would find lodging for you.;)

Jason of the Woods
01-24-2008, 11:09
It is our first hike. We are leaving Springer on April 4th and going slow. We want to stay at your place but we aren't sure when we will get there. How do I make a reservation without a date?

Lone Wolf
01-24-2008, 11:11
It is our first hike. We are leaving Springer on April 4th and going slow. We want to stay at your place but we aren't sure when we will get there. How do I make a reservation without a date?

you won't need a reservation. ron has plenty of rooms

Ron Haven
01-25-2008, 00:33
you won't need a reservation. ron has plenty of roomsI am going to put a thread in a week or two about our 2008 April Fool Hiker Bash Schedule.For those who would like to reserve a room closest to the action.It would not be a bad idea to call soon and book it.
The Sapphire Inn number is (828)524-4403--Budget Inn (828)524-4403

:welcome

Ron Haven
02-08-2008, 18:02
It is our first hike. We are leaving Springer on April 4th and going slow. We want to stay at your place but we aren't sure when we will get there. How do I make a reservation without a date?Some were thinking that we don't come to the trail until March with the bus schedule.As you early hikers coming thru now,yes we come get you and take you back to Winding Stair,Rock and Wallace Gaps all year around.You just need to give us a call. (828)524-4403

;)

Ron Haven
03-08-2008, 01:00
I have listed several new things happining and going on.Alcohol is served now in restaurants and bars now..An small excellent breakfast restaurant. New all you can eat buffets.The April Fool Hiker Bash.Shuttle info,computers, and other places with hiker intrest.Click on this link for details.:) http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114

If you click on this link I have added some new and different things for hikers in Frankin.We have also added some new fearures at Budget Inn including a new laundry room and computer room for hikers.http://www.appalachiantrailservices....read.php?t=114

Roots this may be the new style,also anyone with plans for the bash give us a call to reserve a special room.have fun all.

Roots
03-08-2008, 01:19
Thanks, Ron. One question, though....DO I have to be Bald? JK.... Can't wait to see you in April. :D

Chaco Taco
03-08-2008, 03:00
See ya in a few weeks buddy

notorius tic
03-08-2008, 03:15
1 gg gg

Shiloh
03-08-2008, 07:57
Ron - I'll be heading your way in a couple of days. Look forward to meeting you.

Shiloh

Kirby
03-08-2008, 08:09
I shall be there this time next week if everything goes according to the rough plan I have in my head right now.

Kirby

Ron Haven
03-09-2008, 12:38
I shall be there this time next week if everything goes according to the rough plan I have in my head right now.

KirbyTo all that my family and me meet at Neels Gap and Hiawassee for Wintons party yesterday.Have fun hiking this way,Ron

Survivor Dave
03-09-2008, 12:53
Ron, had a great time meeting you, Marcella, and the kids. See you in a few.

Just an FYI, Don't let the Southern draw fool you! Ron is an 'ol hippie! He played "Smoke on the Water" on the guitar last night along with some other great tunes!

You rock man!

SD

To all that my family and me meet at Neels Gap and Hiawassee for Wintons party yesterday.Have fun hiking this way,Ron

Lone Wolf
03-09-2008, 12:59
[SIZE=3]Just an FYI, Don't let the Southern draw fool you! Ron is an 'ol hippie! He played "Smoke on the Water" on the guitar last night along with some other great tunes!

nah, that don't make him a hippy. if he played some joan baez crap or somethin' similar i'd worry

Survivor Dave
03-09-2008, 13:07
Well, he did play Puff the Magic Dragon as well. That might qualify.

I'd be afraid If he started playing(and sang) some Metallica!:D:eek::D

nah, that don't make him a hippy. if he played some joan baez crap or somethin' similar i'd worry

Survivor Dave
03-09-2008, 18:14
Never Mind...wrong thread. Ooops!

Mrs Baggins
03-09-2008, 19:02

Out freaking standing!! Are you still running the shuttles to Winding Stair Gap? Will you come to Standing Indian Campground if called? I'm setting out from Springer April 1st and will get to somewhere between SI and WS on April 12th. I need a ride to a hotel (any hotel) in Frankliin where my husband can meet me and we'll stay the night.

orangebug
03-09-2008, 21:15
You know that Rainbow Springs is closed now, I hope.

It is pretty easy to walk on out to US-64/Winding Stair Gap and either call out or hitch into town.

Ron Haven
03-09-2008, 21:44
Ron, had a great time meeting you, Marcella, and the kids. See you in a few.

Just an FYI, Don't let the Southern draw fool you! Ron is an 'ol hippie! He played "Smoke on the Water" on the guitar last night along with some other great tunes!

You rock man!

SDI am glad you like hearing me do the hillbilly shuffle on the guitar.I was surprised how well you spoke spanish is why I sung that spanish song for you.We all had a great time there last night.

Lone Wolf,Skidsteer and Sly I was hoping all of you would make it.I got to see a lot of my friends there.Almost There and Pirate had plenty of good hamburgers and hotdogs:D

Mrs Baggins if you call 828-524-4403 I would be glad to shuttle you into Franklin during that time.

I will be looking forward to all than can make the Fool Bash too!!!!

Skidsteer
03-09-2008, 21:51
I am glad you like hearing me do the hillbilly shuffle on the guitar.I was surprised how well you spoke spanish is why I sung that spanish song for you.We all had a great time there last night.

Lone Wolf,Skidsteer and Sly I was hoping all of you would make it.I got to see a lot of my friends there.Almost There and Pirate had plenty of good hamburgers and hotdogs:D

Mrs Baggins if you call 828-524-4403 I would be glad to shuttle you into Franklin during that time.

I will be looking forward to all than can make the Fool Bash too!!!!

See you at the Bash, friend. Sorry I didn't make it last night.

Ron Haven
03-09-2008, 22:12
See you at the Bash, friend. Sorry I didn't make it last night.see you then :)