PDA

View Full Version : Christmas... What did you get?

88BlueGT
12-26-2007, 03:03
So did everyone get sll the hiking gear they wanted? :D I know I did, heres a short list.

Optimus Nova + Stove & Fuel Bottle
GSI Extreme Small Cookset
GSI Salt/Peper Shaker
Fire Starter
Emergency Blanket
Hand/Foot Warmers
Husky Mini Multi Tool (2 oz's)
Mighty Lite Lantern ( AWSOME, and highly recommended :) )
Some hiking clothes, 2 noth face hats, hiking socks
some mountain house foods
2 1L Nalgene bottles
and maybe some other small stuff... I got hooked up this year :)

Rouen
12-26-2007, 03:18
I got a pocket rocket + fuel, two pairs of EMS wool hiking socks, a goose down coat, and a 50$ gift card to EMS.

any recomendations for a pot/cookware that compliments the pocket rocket?

Two Speed
12-26-2007, 06:35
We got rain! Who hoooo!

Jaybird
12-26-2007, 07:42
i got some hiking socks,
a gift card from REI
a gift card from Bike Pedlar (bicycle shop)
A.T. Calendar
NEW Capilene long sleeve hiking shirt:D

Santa was very good to me!

My wife, "D-bird" got a NEW tent...hehehehehehe

Ghosthiker
12-26-2007, 07:46
A pair of leki poles
A new Camelpak small day pack
hiking socks
Set of REI light weight synthectic thermals

LIhikers
12-26-2007, 08:09
My son got me a titanium spork. I may have him return it though as I'm happy enough with my lexan spoon, which is lighter than the spork.

fujiboots
12-26-2007, 09:27
Morino wool shirt for me and a Pretzl Zippka plus for the wife....

Marta
12-26-2007, 09:33
Iany recomendations for a pot/cookware that compliments the pocket rocket?

I've used it for quite a long time with an MSR ti kettle.

leeki pole
12-26-2007, 10:19
A really cool LL Bean cap with two led's in the brim for walking the dogs and night hiking. Light, too. I wish I'd thought of that.

gold bond
12-26-2007, 10:28
My wife did one of the coolest things. She had a calander made at the local printer with pictures of all my treks throught this past year.

A 100.00 worth of gift certificates to our local outfitter. Sounds like some new boots or a Steri Pen to me!!

A Titanum spork, plate and bowl set.

An AT calander and a AT travel mug.

gold bond
12-26-2007, 10:31
I got a pocket rocket + fuel, two pairs of EMS wool hiking socks, a goose down coat, and a 50$ gift card to EMS.

any recomendations for a pot/cookware that compliments the pocket rocket?

Smow Peak makes a set that is Titanium and the lid is a bowl and the main pot holds one to two cups of water. I have a small cup that I put in mine with a scrubbie and my pocket rocket and lighter. I have since went to DA but my son still uses his and wouldn't change!

sonic
12-26-2007, 10:48
:banana An Ordinary Adventurer!!!!!! Santa must have been thought I was good this year.

Blissful
12-26-2007, 10:49
I don't know what I got yet. I spent yesterday in bed with the worst stomach flu I've ever had. :(
Sniff.

But on Christmas Eve I did get an AT ornament with two hikers that is now hanging on our tree.

johnny quest
12-26-2007, 10:53
my son gave me a sea to summit ipood. no, its not something i would buy myself, and ive never carried a trowel but i will now....because he gave it to me. that is well worth 3.5 ounces any day.

greentick
12-26-2007, 11:15
ULA gravity filter, WM Ultralite Super (early Christmas present from my wonderful wife 2 mo ago), a jetboil freedom press, REI giftcard, REI flash UL pack, POE ether thermo 3/4 length inf pad

Between this year and last my weight loss program is just about complete. Now I just got to work on my "from skin in" weight:D .

My wife busted me looking at a smaller ULA pack on their website. I do have a birthday coming up....

Yukon
12-26-2007, 11:19
I didn't get anything hiking related, but lots and lots of other stuff...I think all my hiking gear is being saved for my birthday :)

Deadeye
12-26-2007, 11:24
Smartwool socks, a new headlamp (real bright for winter night hikes), and a Speer Winter Tarp (10X11, cat cut, with end flaps) for my hammock.:D

SteveJ
12-26-2007, 11:56
Speer winter tarp, down booties, new trail-camera, REI gift card from my boys!

Mags
12-26-2007, 12:00
I had another wonderful 4 days playing in the powder with friends (The weekend AND Xmas Eve and Day!), another year where I celebrated "Jewish Christmas Eve" with my close friends (Chinese food and a movie...and the cutest 17 month old boy in the world. But I'm biased. :p) and another Christmas night with food, wine, laughter and good friends.

Outdoor fun - CHECK
Yummy food - CHECK
Spending it all with people I care about - CHECK

Yeah..I have everything I wanted for the holidays.

Footslogger
12-26-2007, 12:04
I got a visit from my daughter and spent 2 days sking in the mountains surrounding Laramie and just hanging out together - better than any other gift I received.

'Slogger

Furlough
12-26-2007, 12:08
Merry Xmas and early Happy New Year to all.

For Xmas I got an REI Cruise UL 60 Backpack, an Equinox UL Bear Bag, an Etowah Oufitters UL Alcohol Stove II and a folding Titanium Spork.

Furlough

Toolshed
12-26-2007, 12:17
I rec'd a pair of Teva Sandals, a set of 1235 Atlas Snowshoes (to replace my 20 some year old Sherpas) and a 1 Liter stainless steel coffee press (Boil the water right in the press on your campstove).

88BlueGT
12-26-2007, 12:19
Glad to see that everyone had a good christmas. I forgot I also got a $100 visa card and a 75 dollar card to EMS. I better get to shoppin :)

leeki pole
12-26-2007, 12:48
I got a visit from my daughter and spent 2 days sking in the mountains surrounding Laramie and just hanging out together - better than any other gift I received.

'Slogger
Yep, Slogger I know what you mean. My girls came home for the holiday and we hung out and watched our favorite movie; "Christmas Vacation."
We try to outguess each other on the lines!:) Best gift I could have got. Tons of laughs.

Miss Janet
12-26-2007, 12:56
I managed to hold to my REGIFTING resolution but my girls buckled and bought me a digital camera and a digital photo frame. Now I can show off all those pictures of my girls, grandkids and hikers making a spectacle of themselves.

This thing is cool. I have always complained about not being able to share digital photos and now I can see me whipping out my Frame and showing GIGS of PICS!!!

weary
12-26-2007, 14:41
15 people, two sons, a daughter, a bevy of grandkids and a couple of significant others, for Christmas dinner. Oh and new felt liners for my Sorel boots.

SteveJ
12-26-2007, 14:42
Speer winter tarp, down booties, new trail-camera, REI gift card from my boys!

forgot to mention my ENO slapstraps! Have been experimenting with my new hammock setup in the back yard!

Lion King
12-26-2007, 14:54
I got invited off the ADT into a families house at 6 am for a Christmas breakfast and then dropped back off at the trail,

where after 9 miles of hiking to Fort Kearney, I had a guy on the way to feed his cows out on an old country road ask me to come to his Famileis for Christmas dinner.

So I went to help him feed his cows some petroleum based something and then we went back to a large gathering of people and eat Turkey, Bison, dressing, mashed potatoes, pies and cookies, and then his son, who owns Rodeway Inn, allowed me to go into his hotel from free.

Trai Magic on Christmas...amazing.

That and also a couple of cards from a couple of hikers, and $200 from Mom.

soad
12-26-2007, 15:09
Black Diamond Ice Axe, I may (probably) never use it, but it will look darn cool straped to my pack!!!!

swellbill
12-26-2007, 15:12
my son gave me a sea to summit ipood. no, its not something i would buy myself, and ive never carried a trowel but i will now....because he gave it to me. that is well worth 3.5 ounces any day.

I know what you mean Some things could weigh a ton and it's not heavy, it was given with love!

I got a nice pair of Merrell Chameleon Wraps

Hurley
12-26-2007, 15:45
REI Zephyr 15+
HH backpacker ultralite with oversized hex tarp.
MSR pocketrocket
adidas trailrunner type shoes.

johnny quest
12-26-2007, 15:53
exactly, swellbill. it could be a commercial.
seatosummit trowell 20 dollars
gas to drive from austin 15 dollars
thinking of your 19 year old son every time you squat in the woods, priceless.
ok, maybe not a kodak moment.

Rain Man
12-26-2007, 15:59
:banana An Ordinary Adventurer!!!!!! Santa must have been thought I was good this year.

Same here! Autographed to me, no less! Thanks, Jan! :D

Oh, and an REI gift certificate, a Big Agnes 2.5" (can we say "comfort"?) sleeping pad, and an REI Endurance half-zip shirt, deep burnt orange (my college color!) -- in spite of the fact REI calls it "Aurora Red" for some reason. Have already worn it on a hike at Radnor Lake State Natural Area here in Nashville, yesterday, with the family. ;)

Now, tomorrow we leave for South Carolina (over the hills and through the woods to Grandma's house we go), but on the way stop off at the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area, where we will hike 6 or 7 miles into the backwoods to primitive Charit Creek Lodge, where we have almost-annual reservations. Wooooooo wooooooo!!!!

See you WhiteBlazers again in 2008!

Rain:sunMan

leeki pole
12-26-2007, 16:00
now that is too funny.........:)

WalkingStick75
12-26-2007, 16:48
I got a phone call from my son safe back in England after a TDY in Turkey. That is the best gift ever.

DG_on_AT
12-26-2007, 17:06
I got:

MSR Wind Pro Stove
4 oz MSR fuel canister
North Face Vapor Wick shirt
2 pair Smartwool Socks
Marmot Sawtooth 15 degree bag
Ex Officio performance boxer briefs

I would have slept outside last night in the new bag, but I had to work this morning.

Kirby
12-26-2007, 17:13
Battery powered MP3 player.

Wool socks.

Upper body fleece liners.

Disposable cameras.

Kirby

Chaco Taco
12-26-2007, 17:36
Golite Enigma Jacket
Golite Reed Pants
Mountain Hardware Micro Fleece
Marmot Sawtooth 15 bag
Starlyte Alcohol Stove
Eureka Spitfire UL tent
Salomon Extend Hiking shoes
Columbia hiking shoes
Outdoor Research Polartec hat and gloves

And a 10X10 sheet of Tyvek!

Best of all, got to spend time with my niece and nephew. I gave my nephew his first headlamp and he wore it around all day, running into closets and closing the doors screaming, "I can see in the dark Uncle Jeff"

Shiraz-mataz
12-26-2007, 17:37
My wife caught on to my not-too-subtle hints and ordered a Go Lite Pinnacle backpack from Campmor. They were backordered until February at the time so she got me a couple of stocking stuffers to tide me over: a lexan dry-case for money and ID, a small thermometer to clip to a zipper, and a coffee infuser doo-hickey you screw on a Nalgene bottle.

slowandlow
12-26-2007, 17:38
I got:
3 pr wool socks
4x8 piece of tyvek
40ft of spectra cord

Darwin again
12-26-2007, 20:46
-- 1955 Katahdin Section guide book published by the MATC (Inc), Part II of the Trail in Maine, compiled by Myron Avery, Helon N. Taylor and Jean Stephenson.
-- Shoes, an increasingly rare pair of the old style Dunham Nimbles, size 12EEE, low tops in fabric mesh with waffle treads.
-- One pair Smartwool Hiker socks.
-- Christmas Eve hike in SNP, about four miles, blinding sunshine.

Lilred
12-27-2007, 03:33
My son got me a new Petzl Tikka Plus headlamp. My old one had bit the dust on my last section.

horicon
12-27-2007, 12:21
A pair of poles.
Hiking maps of the Hudson Vwllley of new York.

sly dog
12-27-2007, 13:45
woo hoo.....i got a martin backpacker guitar:)

jhick
12-27-2007, 14:58
Spent xmas eve with the family, so for xmas I took myself hiking in the DWG to Sunfish Pond.... beautiful day, except for the icy sections.

NorthCountryWoods
12-27-2007, 17:19
Wife and I went cheap this year.

I got a magnesium firestarter and a new waterbottle.

She got a jumbo container of Lake Champlain hot cocoa and a bag of mini-marshmallows.

Mother Nature
12-27-2007, 19:30
I made reservations on Lufthansa to meet my son recently returning from Iraq in Frankfurt, Germany. We arrived at the Atlanta airport to find the flight very overbooked.

Lufthansa asked if we would take a flight from Atlanta to Orlando at their expense... Then take a flight four hours later than planned from Orlando to Frankfurt.

For our inconvenience we would be given 600 Euros EACH which translated into $1700!!!! Sweet!!!!

MN

Monkeyboy
12-27-2007, 19:47
Hennessy Expedition Hammock

Sirius Radio with lifetime subscription

Monkeyboy
12-27-2007, 19:48
Woo Hoo!!!

Marta
12-27-2007, 20:34
I made reservations on Lufthansa to meet my son recently returning from Iraq in Frankfurt, Germany. We arrived at the Atlanta airport to find the flight very overbooked.

Lufthansa asked if we would take a flight from Atlanta to Orlando at their expense... Then take a flight four hours later than planned from Orlando to Frankfurt.

For our inconvenience we would be given 600 Euros EACH which translated into $1700!!!! Sweet!!!!

MN

Very nice! Merry Christmas!

Heater
12-27-2007, 20:59

I thought Ipood might be a typo but then I googed it. Pretty funny and appropriate name. I gotta have one.

You're in Austin?

Heater
12-27-2007, 21:02
Got to see my nephew home for the Holidays from Iraq. He looks good. :sun

Heater
12-27-2007, 21:07
We didn't exchage gifts this year. Just bought for the little ones.
I was against it at first but in retrospect, it was kinda nice.

Just the whole family together for the day. :sun

TOW
12-27-2007, 22:03
I did not get any hiking gear but I realized how many friends i have in this town in the short time I have been here. I had money given to me from people here and a whole tassle of people dropped by the house on Christmas.

Then I got hang out at Lone Wolfs and Gypsies with a good bunch later that night as we took on the aroma of a campfire in a pit...........

TOW
12-27-2007, 22:04
Wife and I went cheap this year.

I got a magnesium firestarter and a new waterbottle.

She got a jumbo container of Lake Champlain hot cocoa and a bag of mini-marshmallows.
I think I am going to start selling those magnesium firestarters soon. I heard they were the thing............

Blissful
12-27-2007, 22:57
I don't know what I got yet. I spent yesterday in bed with the worst stomach flu I've ever had. :(
Sniff.

But on Christmas Eve I did get an AT ornament with two hikers that is now hanging on our tree.

We finally had our Christmas last night. Got some great trail momento items. AT mug. Car stickers. The great picture book with the writings of Earl Shaffer - Calling Me Back to the Hills. And my sister did up this super shadow box that had our pictures in it from the start and finish of the trail.

earthbound
12-28-2007, 00:21
Tarptent Rainbow!!!!
olympus everything-proof camera!!!!

Christmas day my dad and I set up the tent in the basement and seam sealed it. Sweet.

bredler
12-28-2007, 00:27
-Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker
-Campmor 20 degree down mummy bag
-(2) JRB Stuff Sacks
-$50 in REI gift cards
-Aqua Mira Drops
-1L Nalgene
-Leatherman Squirt (with pliers, not scissors)
-Gerber folding knife
-AT Thruhiker's Guide '07
-Toblerone Chocolate (YUM!)
-AntiGravityGear 3 cup pot+pot grabber
-Some Jeans
-A sweater

I have a big family (five of us all over the age of 18 plus close extended family) that buys on the cheap, so that means lots of people who stretch a gift budget to the max=lots of cool stuff for everyone!

Smile
12-28-2007, 00:33
Wow Bredler, you really made out! Have a great hike ;)

bredler
12-28-2007, 00:40
Wow Bredler, you really made out! Have a great hike ;)

Will do! (with many more to come)

I like the avatar.

johnny quest
12-28-2007, 09:50
I thought Ipood might be a typo but then I googed it. Pretty funny and appropriate name. I gotta have one.

You're in Austin?

im about 3 hours northwest of austin, but with 3 kids in college in austin, i go there alot. i havent used the ipood in a realworld situation yet. it seems well constructed. as i said before, i would never buy one for myself...ive always used the heel of my boot or some such to dig my catholes....but i will carry it now, sentimental fool that i am. i will sy this...the hollow carrying handle which they recommend for carrying tp, a lighter or hand sanitizer, seems too narrow to carry two of those. and the latch is hard to get off.

Heater
12-28-2007, 10:02
im about 3 hours northwest of austin, but with 3 kids in college in austin, i go there alot. i havent used the ipood in a realworld situation yet. it seems well constructed. as i said before, i would never buy one for myself...ive always used the heel of my boot or some such to dig my catholes....but i will carry it now, sentimental fool that i am. i will sy this...the hollow carrying handle which they recommend for carrying tp, a lighter or hand sanitizer, seems too narrow to carry two of those. and the latch is hard to get off.

Yeah, I thought you were from Dr. Pepperland . :D
(I might be thinking of someone else, though)

SmokyMtn Hiker
12-28-2007, 10:06
Leki trekking poles and a Mtn. Hardware Ultralamina 15 deg. sleeping bag.

sheepdog
12-28-2007, 10:32
An MSR reactor stove.

Tin Man
12-28-2007, 12:01
Outhouse Calendar

And another 7 miles of AT on Wednesday...NY RT22 to CT Hoyt Rd. :)

rafe
12-28-2007, 12:49
Outhouse Calendar

And another 7 miles of AT on Wednesday...NY RT22 to CT Hoyt Rd. :)

Hey, it's another 0.32% of the trail. Don't knock it. Every little bit counts. Is that the stretch that goes by the AT train station? A lot of meadow walking as I recall...

SteveJ
12-28-2007, 13:13
I just got a f**ing root canal - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year....

::Vicodan begins kicking in and Steve stumbles away from computer::

SGT Rock
12-28-2007, 13:21
I got itchy feet for Christmas.

The 27th cannot come fast enough.

Tin Man
12-28-2007, 13:25
Hey, it's another 0.32% of the trail. Don't knock it. Every little bit counts. Is that the stretch that goes by the AT train station? A lot of meadow walking as I recall...

The AT Train station is just on the west side of RT22 (south side to AT). We headed north, but did visit the station made famous in Model-T's book. The beginning of the section is meadow and you pass a silo that looks like a '50s comic book rocket ship. Once you pass into the woods, you are in Pawling Nature Preserve. The trail was crunchy snow and ice and we were glad we limited the day to 7 miles. We ran into a couple and their dog having lunch at Wiley Shelter. It was a good day for a hike.

Tin Man
12-28-2007, 13:26
I got itchy feet for Christmas.

The 27th cannot come fast enough.

What does one do for the last month before a BMT/AT thru-hike? :-?

SGT Rock
12-28-2007, 13:27
Go crazy.

Actually I'm thinking of putting in for some weekend passes and just start early. Think of it as an early start with lots of zeros.

Marta
12-28-2007, 13:28

Eat!:D :D

-SEEKER-
12-28-2007, 13:53
Thermarest Z-LITE, 0.9 liter Ultra-Light Titanium Cooker, OR Hydroseal Dry Sack, Backpacker Magazine subscription, Fast Pack Footprint, MontBell Alpine Light Down Jacket, Digital watch with large numbers and a back light, $85.00 in gift cards.

Mother's Finest
12-28-2007, 16:38
I got the best gift of all.

Acceptance from my wife that I will thru hike.

She got me a new fleece from REI, and when I opened it, she said that I can wear it when I hike the AT. The simple fact that she acknowledged that it is ok is a huge breakthrough.

I did not tell her that I will be taking a down jacket instead of fleece when the time comes.

Happy New Year
and

Peace
mf

88BlueGT
12-29-2007, 04:52
Update for myself... I also got a $75 dollar gift card to EMS so I picked myself up a MSR packtowl, two 4oz bottles, four 2oz bottles, four .5oz bottles, backpacker mag, antibacterial spray and a few other small things. Please, dont ask me what the heck Im going to do with all those bottles :) Still got some cash left so thats always a good thing.

Tagless
12-29-2007, 09:35
My wife and I are planning an AT through hike in 09. With this goal in mind, my 2007 Christmas gift was very meaningful. Specifically, my wife quietly circulated a large AT map through many of my lifetime coworkers and friends and asked that they write a message on the map at various stages of the trail. She then had this professionally framed. Both this gift and my wife truly are "keepers".

Summit
12-29-2007, 22:57
Komperdell C3 trekking polls, a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core ground mattress, and two $20 gift cards to REI! :D

Nightwalker
12-31-2007, 22:43
My wife gave me a Western Mountaineering Versalite Plus sleeping bag. I've been wanting a Winter bag that nice for a number of years, but never thought I'd get one.

I feel guilty about the price until I get inside it. :)

Heater
12-31-2007, 23:02
My wife gave me a Western Mountaineering Versalite Plus sleeping bag. I've been wanting a Winter bag that nice for a number of years, but never thought I'd get one.

I feel guilty about the price until I get inside it. :)

Wow. that was a great gift. You're covered.

mozzie
12-31-2007, 23:10
you never have toooo much stuff.returning a gift is just tacccky.espesialy from your son.if you use it twice its a treasure.

Smile
12-31-2007, 23:27
Rubberbandman got this interstesting can from a friend, it weighs 3.5 ounces or so and contains:

One each: Acetaminophen, Adhesive Bandage, Alcohol Prep, Antibiotic Ointment, Book matches, tea bag, chewing gum, compass, sugar, whistle, salt packet, energy nugget, duct tape, fire starter cube, wire clip, first aid instructions, fish hook & line, note paper, pencil, razor blade, safety pin, signal mirror & a waterproof bag.

The front says : All contents USA except for a few from China. Great to keep in the glove compartment, but emptied might be a cool little kit for a day hike. :)

wrightsphoto
12-31-2007, 23:37
My hiking partner got me the DVD "2000 miles to Maine"
Loved it!

Happy New Year to all!!
Peace out!
wrightsphoto