PDA

View Full Version : Another Georgia REI coming

Ghosthiker
12-26-2007, 06:53
I recently saw in a construction bid site, where REI is bidding for a contractor to build out their new store in Kennesaw. It'll be in the Towne center area off of Barrett Parkway. So glad to be getting one closer to home.

Almost There
12-26-2007, 11:57
Great News!

RLC_FLA
12-26-2007, 20:09
Having an REI 30 miles closer is a two edged sword:sun

Cuffs
12-26-2007, 20:25
Thats nice... now how about one in Alabama...

bigboots
12-26-2007, 20:45
If they don't get the bid in Georgia, I know of a lot of places to build in Ohio! I guess I'm stuck with the website.

Bigboots

Roots
12-26-2007, 22:06
That's awesome!! Do you or anyone else know anything about a REI coming to Asheville, NC. Supposedly they are, but I haven't anything else about it--that was about 6 months ago. Nothing better than a REI right at your back door.:)

Rouen
12-26-2007, 22:15
If they don't get the bid in Georgia, I know of a lot of places to build in Ohio! I guess I'm stuck with the website.

Bigboots

it's the same in western Ma.

bigboots
12-26-2007, 22:20
Nothing better than a REI right at your back door.:)

Your credit card/wallet may disagree:-?

Bigboots

Roots
12-26-2007, 22:26
Your credit card/wallet may disagree:-?

Bigboots

It can't cry any louder than it already is--:D

Kirby
12-26-2007, 22:34
Still looking for one in Maine, guess they don't want to do battle with L.L. Bean.

Kirby

Cyclops
12-26-2007, 22:40
There is indeed going to be an REI in Asheville, set to open later in 2008. August, I believe. I have daydreamed of transferring to this store (Cyclops is currently a Camping Guru at another REI not nearly as close to good mountains).

envirodiver
12-27-2007, 11:06
I don't think there will be a shortage of people wanting to transfer to the store in Asheville. They will probably be able to have their pick. Asheville is a GREAT town.

I've thought of transfering myself. Maybe down the road.

ki0eh
12-27-2007, 11:16
This page might offer some clues about where they're coming next: http://www.rei.com/aboutrei/brokerlist.pdf

Footslogger
12-27-2007, 11:23
I recently saw in a construction bid site, where REI is bidding for a contractor to build out their new store in Kennesaw. It'll be in the Towne center area off of Barrett Parkway. So glad to be getting one closer to home.

=================================

That's great ...but we still need one in Laramie !!

'Slogger

Roots
12-27-2007, 11:30
There is indeed going to be an REI in Asheville, set to open later in 2008. August, I believe. I have daydreamed of transferring to this store (Cyclops is currently a Camping Guru at another REI not nearly as close to good mountains).
:banana :banana :banana YEA!!! Now if I could just talk my hubby into getting a job there...HEE HEE

Mocs123
12-27-2007, 11:56
I wish they would put one closer to me or close the one in Nashville. I have having to pay sales tax when the closest store is 2.5 hours away therefore I can't do in store pick up and have to pay shipping too.

envirodiver
12-27-2007, 12:05
I wish they would put one closer to me or close the one in Nashville. I have having to pay sales tax when the closest store is 2.5 hours away therefore I can't do in store pick up and have to pay shipping too.

How would having a store in Nashville have anything to do with paying sales tax and shipping?

Greg59
12-27-2007, 13:41
How would having a store in Nashville have anything to do with paying sales tax and shipping?

Since REI does business (brick and morter store) anywhere in Tennessee, all residents must pay sales tax, even on internet orders.

trlhiker
12-27-2007, 22:04
I have the same problem in NC. The closest one is in Raleigh, 2 1/2 hours away. Too far for pickup. I wish they would put one in Greenville, big college town and only 1 hour away.

Montego
12-27-2007, 22:18
We sure could use ANY decent outfitter in Oklahoma City. There are almost no places here that have any selection of backpacks, tents, etc.

Pretty much any sports shops here are geared more toward seasonal sports like soccer, baseball, etc.

MOWGLI
12-27-2007, 22:26
Since REI does business (brick and morter store) anywhere in Tennessee, all residents must pay sales tax, even on internet orders.

I just ordered a pack from REI and had it sent to my Mother's house in SC -- where I was for Christmas. No tax.

Heater
12-28-2007, 00:05
Having an REI 30 miles closer is a two edged sword:sun

I have two within 5 miles. I dropped some bucks when the first one opened but the spending tapered off before the second one.

I am gonna get one of those Ipoods if they have 'em though. I'll check on Monday.

Review from REI:

"If you do a lot of dumpin' in the woods this is your shovel! I's super strudy, is collapsible, and stores stuff in the handle. You'll be the envy of your fellow poopers."

LOL!

FanaticFringer
12-28-2007, 00:15
I have two within 5 miles. I dropped some bucks when the first one opened but the spending tapered off before the second one.

I am gonna get one of those Ipoods if they have 'em though. I'll check on Monday.

Review from REI:

"If you do a lot of dumpin' in the woods this is your shovel! I's super strudy, is collapsible, and stores stuff in the handle. You'll be the envy of your fellow poopers."

LOL!

Shouldn't it be called an Ipoops.:D

Sly
12-28-2007, 01:10
I have the same problem in NC. The closest one is in Raleigh, 2 1/2 hours away. Too far for pickup. I wish they would put one in Greenville, big college town and only 1 hour away.

Two hours round trip to save a few dollars isn't worth it. I'm about 45 minutes away and figured that out.

Ghosthiker
12-28-2007, 06:33
I'm the type of shopper that likes to pick it up and look at it, so I haven't ordered as much from them (or anyone) on-line. I prefer stores to shop in.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2007, 11:42
I wish Campmor would go nationwide. i'd buy from them over REI, EMS, etc.

RadioFreq
12-28-2007, 11:43
I'm the type of shopper that likes to pick it up and look at it, so I haven't ordered as much from them (or anyone) on-line. I prefer stores to shop in.

I, too, prefer hands on rather than using the Internet. (How do people buy shoes and clothes on the web?)

As for REIs I have three within 20 minutes of my house but I have no mountains to hike.
Anyone want to swap an REI for a mountain?

Sly
12-28-2007, 11:45

I agree, but there are certain things I'll buy online, like if I I'm replacing something, know the sizes etc...

rafe
12-28-2007, 11:46
I wish Campmor would go nationwide. i'd buy from them over REI, EMS, etc.

No, that would kill it, just like it killed EMS and to a lesser extent REI. (And just like it killed Lechmere's, another fine "local" store.) Campmor is fine as it is. Call in your order, or order on-line. You'll have your stuff in 2 or 3 days tops.

rafe
12-28-2007, 11:53
I, too, prefer hands on rather than using the Internet. (How do people buy shoes and clothes on the web?)

By luck. By sticking to brands and sizes you know. By having seen the stuff elsewhere. For footwear, it's dicey. I know by now that New Balance or Dunham size 9 (with several EEs behind it) works for me. But with footwear, you never really know how it's going to work out in the "long term" -- until you're well into the "long term." Some styles work out great, some not so much.

I've had no problem whatsoever buying tents, bags, packs, etc. online.

MOWGLI
12-28-2007, 11:53
Two hours round trip to save a few dollars isn't worth it. I'm about 45 minutes away and figured that out.

I take Barrett Parkway to visit my In-Laws in Marietta, so this is a nice new addition from my perspective. I drive right by there 8-10 times a year.