PDA

View Full Version : Approaching One Mile Per WhiteBlaze Member!

Kerosene
12-18-2003, 16:53
As of 3:55 PM Eastern on Thursday, December 18th, we are at 1,952 official registrants. As the official greeter, I've been getting deluged with 10+ new registrations a day, so we could see #2,074 by year-end!

Rain Man
12-18-2003, 16:59
... we could see #2,074 by year-end!

NEAT. And is THAT the official mileage now? I thought it was 2,174 miles. But I have no idea how to find out.

Former Easy
12-18-2003, 17:03
Thats awesome and a good number of registrations. You guys should try to figure out what the active member count is here, that gives a better reflection of true membership, you really can't consider somebody that registers and doesn't participate a true member, since I know as fact from administering many forums (including this one at one time) that people register and never return or participate, but thats just my opinion.

Regardless theres still tons of active members here. I'm curious and i'm sure others are on the stats of active members, i'd guess about 750 which is awesome. Is there anyway for you to figure this out easily? The only way I know is to create an active member usergroup and put all those that have been active in that user group, this would take some time to do with over 2000 registrations though.

TJ aka Teej
12-18-2003, 17:32
I thought it was 2,174 miles.
Yup, 2174.1 according to the '04 Databook. The 2074 was a projection for the year end member count - so that mean's around 1/10/04 lucky member 2174 should be signing up. Wicked cool.

Kerosene
12-18-2003, 18:50
Oops, 2,174 is the right mileage. That's what I get for checking the board during a busy work day. Okay, so now we're talking end of January...it's still getting up there.

Maybe we should provide the 2,174th person with a special avatar or something???

There are 821 members who have posted at least once. Of course, many of those are probably not regular users, and a large number of never posted but read the board regularly.

texashiker
12-18-2003, 19:20
Thats awesome and a good number of registrations. You guys should try to figure out what the active member count is here, that gives a better reflection of true membership, you really can't consider somebody that registers and doesn't participate a true member, since I know as fact from administering many forums (including this one at one time) that people register and never return or participate, but thats just my opinion.

Former Easy-
I am sure there are people like me that participate daily by reading the forums. I have learnt TONS on this web site! Starting this summer, I will begin my section hike and in the future will be able to impart some knowledge (mostly gained through this web site). So thanks for administering the forums, the silent people appreciate it! :)

Former Easy
12-18-2003, 20:02
There are 821 members who have posted at least once.

Wow 821 I wasn't far off was I Kerosene :D Thats even farther above average then I though for this size forum so thats awesome.

----------------------------------------------------------

Texas Hiker,

Thank the present administration I'm not involved in this project anymore, other than participating. Yes theres alot of people that still register and read but there are even more that don't register and read. But you are an active member, since you have posted. All I was getting at, is there is a difference between registrations and active members. There will be a hack (mod) out for this software in a few months that will show active members, along with registrations, if the administration here is going to install it or not, I'm not sure.
Another reason I wanted an active member count is that I offered $125 dollar gift certificate to this site to be raffled off for free, to only active members. ATtroll and whom ever have not worked the details out how this will be handled yet. But its in appreciation to all those whom have participated and part of my giving spirit during the holidays :D

If your in a giving spirit and like this site send ATtroll a $50 or $100 dollars, If he can raise over $2000 in donations im sure he would move this site to a dedicated server, that is about what a good one (dual Xeon 160gig 1000mb ram) cost a year. That would mean better speed for this site and more room to grow. I know hes going to have to do something soon and could use the donations regardless.

attroll
12-22-2003, 12:23
I am trying to do this without asking for money from our users. I have been writing to company's for sponsorship. I have not heard anything back yet. But I am still hoping though. I will hold off for another month and see what happens.

I will keep everyone informed. This site will not go away I promise. Even if I have to pay the new price difference.

As for the numbers that Kerosene posted. They are slightly lower. Former Easy was closer.

Like Texashiker said there are a lot of people that log in and do not post at all. There are also still people that come to the site to read as Guest also. But that is OK. We are here to help and share and if they choose not to log in and we are helping them in any way then we are doing what this site was created for. To help and share.

Our overall average of new users is 137 per month.

Flash Hand
12-23-2003, 17:23
We should give heartfelt thanks to ATTroll for contributing his valuable time and money. It meant a lot to us! Once I receive benefits next year, I will contribute some money toward this website.

Happy Holidays!

Flash Hand

attroll
12-25-2003, 21:39
We are getting closer. We hit 2,000 users yesterday. Yahoo!