PDA

View Full Version : external packs

Cerridwen
12-26-2007, 16:34
I am looking for a good pack for my dad. I thruhiked this summer with a Kelty trekker 3950 external pack. Despite what most everyone will say, I found it to be incredibly comfortable and superior to the internal smaller pack I have hiked with in the past and the others I tried on in the stores. Thus, I would like to help my dad find a few externals to try on, before he checks out the internal route. However, it seems as if kelty is the only company still making externals of any worth (there are those made for hunting but these seem to weigh a ton and have extra heavy features for carrying guns and such). Any suggestions on where to find externals or any internals that could compare? Thanks

Cerridwen
12-26-2007, 16:36
oh, one more thing- the kelty trekker seemed to be too narrow for his shoulders even on widest setting. He has broad shoulders and a long torso

tomsawyer222
12-26-2007, 17:01
Mountain hardwear makes an external back pack actually they make 6. 3 mens and 3 womens the frame system is excellent i have a solitude mens pack and is nice and supportive. It carries loads like an external pack but has more comfort like an internal. The entire pack is designed to custom fit the person. The only downside is the price.... but your back pack is what will carry everything so maybe it is worth it...
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Subcategory.aspx?viewAll=false&top=5&cat=29&viewAll=false

Frosty
12-26-2007, 17:09
However, it seems as if kelty is the only company still making externals of any worth (there are those made for hunting but these seem to weigh a tonThere are many manufacturers of external frame packs. Jansport and Coleman I know make excellent ones.

All external frame packs, whether they have gun mounts or whatever, are heavy in comparison to internal frame packs. What you get for the extra weight is a cooler pack that has lots of neat compartments to keep different groups of items together. They also ride better on the shoulders. External frame packs are better than internals at transferring weight from shoulders to hip. This feels great as long as your knees are in good shape. Your knees don't care if the weight is carried on your shoulders or hips, they carry it all regardless.

I use an external sometimes when carrying heavy loads (extra gear when I was a scoutmaster, or going on a deep-woods picnic and carrying a cooler, grill, etc).

Frosty
12-26-2007, 17:25
oh, one more thing- the kelty trekker seemed to be too narrow for his shoulders even on widest setting. He has broad shoulders and a long torsoI'm 6'5" with wide shoulders, and both my Jansport and Coleman fit me fine. Both are nicely adjustable. I don't need both any more. If you are interested in buying either one, PM me. I can take a picture with a ruler laid on the side-to-side adjustments and you can see how it compares to your Dad's.

Tinker
12-26-2007, 17:28
I don't have any personal experience with the Luxury Lite packs, but some folks love them. Lots of info on line.

http://www.luxurylite.com/

Jim Adams
12-26-2007, 17:29
There are many manufacturers of external frame packs. Jansport and Coleman I know make excellent ones.

All external frame packs, whether they have gun mounts or whatever, are heavy in comparison to internal frame packs. What you get for the extra weight is a cooler pack that has lots of neat compartments to keep different groups of items together.

My G pack is the only pack that I have that is lighter than my externals.
Externals are almost always lighter than internals because the frames are light and there is not near the amount of padding and extra layers sewn into them. An external is usually comfortable due to support... internals are usually comfortable because of padding and stays or frame sheets.

geek

rafe
12-26-2007, 19:10
Externals are almost always lighter than internals because the frames are light and there is not near the amount of padding and extra layers sewn into them.

Camp Trails Adjustable 2 (external): 68 oz (4# 4 oz.)
Mountainsmith FrostFire (internal): Approx. 7 lbs
GG Vapor Trail (internal): 32 oz (2# 0 oz.)
GG Nimbus Ozone (internal): 48 oz (3# 0 oz.)

Frosty
12-26-2007, 19:14
Externals are almost always lighter than internalsOnly if the frames are made up upsie-daisium.

sheepdog
12-26-2007, 19:20
The Coleman Livingston 4lbs
The Coleman Bozeman 5lbs 1oz
I am hooked on external frame packs. Cool hiking and lots of pockets!!

Jim Adams
12-26-2007, 19:22
The Coleman Livingston 4lbs
The Coleman Bozeman 5lbs 1oz
I am hooked on external frame packs. Cool hiking and lots of pockets!!

....and the comfort!

geek

shelterbuilder
12-26-2007, 19:52
I also would suggest CampTrails as a source for a frame pack. They have always produced a good quality product. (I was disappointed today when I went to the Eureka/CampTrails factory store in Binghamton, NY - they've cut the size of the store in half, and seem to be pushing Old Towne canoes and kayaks - bummer. But they did have a couple of larger frame packs for sale.)

Also, try looking on eBay - they very often have very serviceable used frame packs for reasonable prices!

rafe
12-26-2007, 20:46
I thought I heard or read that Camp Trails was no longer in business? In any case, I had pretty good luck with my Camp Trails pack. No serious complaints... except maybe the rivets on the orignal pack straps. Fixing those led to an interesting encounter with the cobbler in Erwin. Couple of years later, Camp Trails "overhauled" the pack and the new straps are much better.