PDA

View Full Version : Creating an email list for my 08 hike

Kirby
12-26-2007, 18:56
Hi everyone:
For my 2008 thru hike, I will be creating an email lgroup to help keep in touch with people. If you would like to be part of this group, either post your email address here or send me a PM with it.

If you happen to know how to create a email group with Yahoo, let me know, I have no idea.

Thanks,
Kirby

jzakhar
12-26-2007, 19:15
Do you mean list as in like a news group list, or a contact group ?

Kirby
12-26-2007, 19:43
A group of emails in which I can send one email to, and they all receive it, like a list, I think.

Kirby

Kirby
12-26-2007, 19:49
Do you mean list as in like a news group list, or a contact group ?

Contact group.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
12-26-2007, 19:54
just hike. don't be like the rest of the geeks and look for computers when you hit a town. hand write a journal. call mom and dad once in a while. the heck with the cyber hikers

Jack Tarlin
12-26-2007, 19:58
I also think Kirby would do well to keep a hand-written journal as the principal record of his trip; it'll mean a lot more to him in years to come.

But if he wants to let some folks from Whiteblaze know he's gettting along, and if he wants to do this by periodically sending us a brief group letter, well I think it's a nice idea, and I look forward to hearing from him.

Kirby
12-26-2007, 20:04
The email list is mainly to update people how I am doing while I send my journal along to be typed. They will not describe my day to day events, they will just let people know where I am and how I am doing, the journal will have all the details.

Kirby

bigboots
12-26-2007, 20:15
I say go for it! It's your hike...Right??

Bigboots

1Pint
12-26-2007, 20:35
just hike. don't be like the rest of the geeks and look for computers when you hit a town. hand write a journal. call mom and dad once in a while. the heck with the cyber hikers

Kirby -
Do what you're comfortable with and used to. I think too many hikers get on the trail never having spent 3 consecutive nights out in the woods and never having written a page in a journal. They seem to think that once they're on the trail they'll be good at and love both LDH and journaling. Where's the logic there?!?

Many moons ago in a galaxy far, far away (Saudi Arabia), I tried to journal but I also used a mini-tape recorder sometimes. My dad and I would send tapes back and forth. When I read my journal attempts years later it was painful how bad the entries were but my tapes were just me, no artifice, no trying to sound deep and meaningful. Just me, thinking out loud. I'm not saying you should use a tape recorder. I'm just saying that if you like the email format and you'll actually follow through with it, then go for it.

I recommend you send a couple of pre-hike test emails out to your group just to get used to how to logistically do it. I only sent one test email out and forgot to save it as a group and I lost several addresses of people I'd meant to stay in touch with.
Happy Hiking,
Laura

Kirby
12-26-2007, 20:38
This is not replacing my journal, it is just something to use to keep in touch as my entries are typed, nothing fancy.

Thanks 1Pint.

Kirby

rafe
12-26-2007, 20:55
This is not replacing my journal, it is just something to use to keep in touch as my entries are typed, nothing fancy.

Not a bad idea, but since you're soliciting for addresses of regular WB'ers, why not just post a paragraph or so on WB when you get the chance?

IMO, Internet is a nice (though not entirely necessary) adjunct to regular phone communications along the trail. But a cell phone is good too. :D

Agree with the others that a written journal is the way to go. One less set of batteries to worry about, and words-on-paper have a good shelf-life.

SlowLightTrek
12-26-2007, 20:59
I met a guy who had a digital notpad thing that did everything. Even had internet. He sat up with the little light screen going in the shelter. Think he was writing a book i dunno.

Monkeyboy
12-31-2007, 01:02
Check out http://www.trailphone.net

It's a site set up by DoctorSpaceMonkey.....really cool dude.

It's got an 800 number that you can dial from the trail and leave an audio voice message and mile marker that you are at. Then people check into the site periodically and see your progress on Google Earth up the trail and can listen to your recorded messages.

You can also download the messages you've made when you get home as a keepsake to burn to an audio CD.

Pretty cool.....

Kirby
12-31-2007, 11:30
Check out http://www.trailphone.net

It's a site set up by DoctorSpaceMonkey.....really cool dude.

It's got an 800 number that you can dial from the trail and leave an audio voice message and mile marker that you are at. Then people check into the site periodically and see your progress on Google Earth up the trail and can listen to your recorded messages.

You can also download the messages you've made when you get home as a keepsake to burn to an audio CD.

Pretty cool.....

Interesting, I will most certainly look into this.

Kirby

The Cheat
12-31-2007, 13:29
I vote you create a WB thread called "Where's Kirby?". Then, if you can just get the Dino's not to post photoshops of you hanging with Chairman Mao in Disneyland we'll all be able to keep up-to-date. :sun

jzakhar
12-31-2007, 13:53
Kirby,

I dont use yahoo, I am a gmail user but what I was able to do is this.

Write a test email with all the people you want in the group (you have to add them one by one this time). Send the test email and then just reply to it on the trail. Groups are usually a function of the client. You can do this with outlook express very easily, but I am not so sure a web client will let you.

Your second option is to use a listserver, like majordomo or mailman, but that is complicated and involved ;p

Monkeyboy
12-31-2007, 14:23
Interesting, I will most certainly look into this.

Kirby

Not to mention, he just started the site not to long ago.....there were a few bugs in the system yet, but one phone call and he had it fixed in the hour, and even called me back from caller ID to tell me he fixed it.

Really great guy and really cool idea to keep others in touch.

Plus you don't need a computer or email device......just a cell phone or payphone.

kroe
02-06-2008, 23:34
[email protected]
Thanks, and good luck