PDA

View Full Version : Trangia stove

babbage
12-26-2007, 19:04
Why? Why did I ever make an alcohol stove. Just kidding. :banana This stove is too sweet. :banana The burner is very convenient and quite miserly with the fuel. It eliminates all the fiddling and I don't have to worry about putting too much or too little fuel in the burner. :banana Just fill it up, put the cap on, go hiking, take it out before meal time, remove cap, apply match, cook, snuff, let cool, re-cap and do something fun or just relax.:banana I have a feeling that this stove will make up for its weight by saving fuel weight. :banana

Toolshed
12-26-2007, 19:08
I carried a mini-28 for a few years, and then tried the westwind stand. I simply am not as impressed with the Trangia as I am with my simple pepsi can stove. I like the idea I can carry enough for maybe 2 burns in the Trangia, but I like the pepsi can design, thatI built it and that I can flip it over if need be and use my little pop-on grill to hold an esbit tab.
Maybe if I find another on sale, I will get it for my son for scouting.

jpofsc
12-26-2007, 19:52
I would be hard pressed to make my own stove after using the Trangia for several trips. It fits my MSR pot just perfectly. It just works!

dla
12-26-2007, 20:49
I can't take a post seriously that uses the dancing banana. Get rid of it and I'll gladly share my many years experience with the Trangia.:(

Tinker
12-26-2007, 23:47
Weight: Trangias weigh much more than a Supercat stove.

More weight: Trangias require a pot support. Supercat is the pot support.

Even more weight: Trangias require a tall windscreen (pot is on top of pot suport which is above stove). Windscreen on my Supercat is 3 inches tall, and really doesn't need to be that tall. It fits into my cookpot, too.

O.K. Supercats can't simmer well (though I have made them do a fair job by wrapping the stove with a piece of foil partially covering the holes).

Come on! How hard is it to measure and pour alcohol?!?!

Want to buy another Trangia?:-?

PM me.

Tinker
12-26-2007, 23:51
Oh, I forgot. Trangia uses more fuel to heat same amount of water (especially if you use the stove full of alcohol - all the alcohol in the stove needs to be heated to vaporization point before it can burn efficiently). The best way to use ANY alcohol stove is to determine exactly how much alcohol you need for your cooking and don't put any extra into the stove.

I conceed that the Trangia is prettier than my Supercat, and the flame pattern looks more like the one on my range at home, but it's all about efficiency in weight and fuel usage.

Ramble~On
01-20-2008, 06:06
I have a bunch of stoves and lately the Trangia is my "go to"

It isn't the lightest.
It doesn't cook the fastest.
It isn't the cheapest.
It isn't the most efficient.
It isn't the smallest.
It may not be "The Best"

It is reliable, well designed, sturdy, easy to use stove.

highway
01-20-2008, 08:56
Weight: Trangias weigh much more than a Supercat stove.

More weight: Trangias require a pot support. Supercat is the pot support.

Even more weight: Trangias require a tall windscreen (pot is on top of pot suport which is above stove). Windscreen on my Supercat is 3 inches tall, and really doesn't need to be that tall. It fits into my cookpot, too.

O.K. Supercats can't simmer well (though I have made them do a fair job by wrapping the stove with a piece of foil partially covering the holes).

Want to buy another Trangia?:-?

PM me.

You have posted some incorrect data:

Trangia does require a pot support but light ones are easily fabricated. A stainless steel wire one that fits around the top of the burner plus a small 3/4 wind shield that nestles inside that weighs 1/2 oz.

Trangia does not require a tall windscreen!

Trangia simmers-well

Trangia does not require precise measuring of alcohol at each use. Pour too little in an X-brand and you must refill. Then, what to do with excess alcohol after boil? Pour too much and now what to do with excess alcohol after boil? I usually lost that amount and those losses add up because sometimes it is difficult to estimate the correct amount given the changing weather conditions and often trembling hands from the cold. Those losses add up quickly!

All fits inside the cook pot, including alcohol for the next few burns. No need to measure it out anymore

Trangia uses less fuel, not more, than supercat so you take less fuel with you. That 'less fuel' quickly obviates the Trangia's weight disadvantage viz a viz the supercat and the difference in fuel consumption as compared to the pepsi stove is like half of what that stove needs. That is the price it pays for its increased speed of the boil.

A drawback is that Trangia is about 3 minutes slower but I dont mind the extra time. I allow for it and do something else while i wait.

Lastly, the Trangia just looks far better than the supercat.

I have made and used and extensively tested these all and, for the above, I have gone back to the Trangia again. I have boxes full of different stoves I have made strewn around in my garage.

highway
01-20-2008, 09:14
Weight:

It certainly can be difficult to pour.
So the question is, why do it if you don't have too?

Conditions change from day to day. Alcohol consumption for today may not be the same as the next since the weather and temperature can change drastically. And, When it is dark and cold it is hard to pour. You just unscrew the Trangia's lid and scrape a few sparks into the alcohol and you are done

oops56
01-20-2008, 09:21
Well here just a few first jiff heat trangia and military

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_alcohol5.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/alcohol5.jpg)

here a few that i made

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/th_peeweestoves.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/peeweestoves.jpg)

highway
01-20-2008, 09:40
Well here just a few first jiff heat trangia and military

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_alcohol5.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/alcohol5.jpg)

here a few that i made

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/th_peeweestoves.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/peeweestoves.jpg)

Great Trangia collection!
Where or when did you get the first one?
Your 3 middle ones are the military versions and i have often wondered why Sweden did not use the lighter one as function is about the same

And I like your workbence, too. But I see you have not made a stainless wire support with shield. When I get back home in a couple of days I will send a photo if I can figure out how you did it.

I once bought a couple of brasslight stoves, amongnst various sundry of others and on a hunch ordered some of his stainless steel wire. I carefully crafted a piece that fit down upon the flat rib of the Trangia for support but had it extend outside the bottom so as to draw the oxygen from the bottom and keep it from getting so hot from the flame. For a shield, I just cut a small shield of thin brass (so as to match) that fit inside it that extended 3/4 way around it. So far it has worked well. It gets red hot in places with the burn and I have often wondered if the welds might burn off in the future

Great Photos!! I am impressed. But I wonder if your wife thinks you are as deranged as mine does of me for doing so much 'senseless' experimentation and buying alcohol by the gallon

oops56
01-20-2008, 10:22
The first one on the left jiffy heat about 20 years ago 50 cents at a lawn sale.In the last 3 years i started colleting stove optimus primus etc. got a shop full over a 100 or so you name it i mite have it

Graywolf
08-30-2009, 18:06
I understand this is an old topic but I had to put this in.

I bought my Trangia in 2003 and it came with a pot holder/windscreen. The holder is the the windscreen and all fits neatly into the pot.

I kept seeing in the post that it does not have a pot holder so I had to put my 2 cents in.

It has held up very well. I have a MSR whisperlite that I have used for many years and after I bought the Trangia, I havn't gone back. It is quiet, very light weight, uses very little fuel. Boils in 7 minutes. And have had no problems in strong wind using the windscreen.

I am not up to date but in 2003, they did come with a wind screen and pot support.

Tinker
08-30-2009, 22:27
Don't snuff out the flames with the top or you'll melt the O ring gasket that seals the stove. Wait for the stove to cool also. This will prolong the life of the O ring.
My Trangia is still for sale. :D

KMACK
08-31-2009, 01:29
The Trangia is my go to stove too when I want to more than just boil H2O. The Trangia w/ a Clikstand all fit in a Ti .9 liter pot.

ShakeyLeggs
08-31-2009, 03:50
Second the Click Stand (http://www.clikstand.com/).

Been using Trangia since 2001 and always use it.

KMACK
08-31-2009, 04:03
Hey Shaakey, Didnt take long for the new Avitar...thought the pole was still open over on HF.

Foyt20
08-31-2009, 11:04
I also like my clikstand. I use it with a kmart grease pot.

mudcap
08-31-2009, 11:32
That clikstand looks like a great rig,think I will try one out.

yaduck9
08-31-2009, 11:59
"slogger" has a nice setup for his trangia. He has pictures of it somewhere on this site.

yaduck9
08-31-2009, 12:04
Alternate uses for a Trangia:

Hockey Puck
Step Stool
Self Defense Weapon
Cracking Nut Shells
Work Bench ( turned upside down )

I'm sure there's more

Graywolf
09-06-2009, 22:59
The Trangia now has a winter attachment. Has anyone used this?

Tinker
09-06-2009, 23:07
It certainly can be difficult to pour.
So the question is, why do it if you don't have too?

Conditions change from day to day. Alcohol consumption for today may not be the same as the next since the weather and temperature can change drastically. And, When it is dark and cold it is hard to pour. You just unscrew the Trangia's lid and scrape a few sparks into the alcohol and you are done
You have to wait until the stove is cool to put the lid back on or the o-ring will melt (or deform and leak).
While you are waiting alcohol continues to evaporate from the hot stove.
It takes longer for the alcohol in a full stove to heat to optimum temperature (promoting a hot flame) than it does if you use only the amount necessary to heat the amount of water desired - wasted fuel.
Try it. Take your Trangia with a full tank and put a premeasured amount of cold tap water on top. Bring to a boil. Record the time.
Fill your Trangia half way. Repeat. Boil time will be faster.

Tinker
09-06-2009, 23:09

No, but I'll Google it and take a look. Thanks for the heads-up.

Graywolf
09-06-2009, 23:30
No, but I'll Google it and take a look. Thanks for the heads-up.

I thought about getting it for my hike in december. I really don't need one here in Texas, but then again I have never had problems with cold weather. I think the higher elevations may change that.

let me know what you think.

Tinker
09-06-2009, 23:37
I thought about getting it for my hike in december. I really don't need one here in Texas, but then again I have never had problems with cold weather. I think the higher elevations may change that.

let me know what you think.

The stand isolates the tank from the cold ground. The pan (which looks exactly like a cheap aluminum plate from a car camping set) reflects the heat back toward the tank. Sure it will work, but you might be able to get the same results with tin foil and a large aluminum cat food can turned bottom up. It would certainly weigh and cost less.

Graywolf
09-07-2009, 14:18
The stand isolates the tank from the cold ground. The pan (which looks exactly like a cheap aluminum plate from a car camping set) reflects the heat back toward the tank. Sure it will work, but you might be able to get the same results with tin foil and a large aluminum cat food can turned bottom up. It would certainly weigh and cost less.

Hey Tinker, I think I found an alternative and it comes with the stove. The little wind screen/pot holder that comes with the stove has enough room in the bottom for some fuel.
Last night I tried it out and seems to work pretty good. You pour just enough to light and heat up the stove. It burns out pretty quick but I think it will be suffcient.

Still too early for a test. I'll test it this winter.

Tinker
09-07-2009, 22:37
Lots of homemade stoves have a preheating pan (and some not homemade, like Brasslite - yeah, I have one of them, too). It works, and I think the only reason Trangia is using the aluminum dinner plate is that they have a reputation for durability, which I've seen in their products. The weight, though......... Of course it's all relative. They're still a bunch lighter than a Whisperlite, and trouble free (nowhere near as hot, though).

dla
09-09-2009, 13:23

Yep. I use a tuna can. Scribe a hole to match the Trangia, munch the contents and you have a "winter attachment". But you'll only want to use this when it is cold - otherwise it will cause overheating (boil off more alcohol than it can burn - wastes fuel).

Knotty
09-10-2009, 20:29
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/7/trangia_winter_attachment_664511.jpg
The winter attachement snaps on to the bottom of a standard Trangia. In the down position (see pic) you add a couple drops of fuel that gets absorbed by a wick on the upper surface of the attachment's bottom. When it burns it primes the stove in cold weather. It also helps by keeping the burner off of cold surfaces. If its warm and you don't need priming, the attachment snaps up flush against the bottom of the burner. I think the plate is more about preventing the burner from melting down into the snow than it is about heat reflection.

I love to make alcohol stoves but few perform as well as my Trangia. It really is efficient and I've done a bunch of measured testing. Of course it's also heavy. Oh well.

Knotty
09-15-2009, 14:39
Here's a pic.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/1/8/7/6/trangia_winter_attachment.jpg

Graywolf
01-02-2010, 22:55
Been a while since I came to this thread.. Nice pics..

I found a way to get it to boil quicker in cold weather.It has been at the freezing point here for a few days, so I thoight it was a good time the airo give it a try..

When you boil, put the lid on to cover the pot..That keeps the warm air in..

Timed it 3x. 5.3 minutes to boil..Thats fast!!!

The heat builds up in the pot instead of escaping into tthe air..

Spokes
01-03-2010, 09:49
I'm an alcohol stove proponent and have bought or made my share of them over the years. Any small container that holds an ounce or so of alcohol will make a sufficient stove despite what all the "professional" stove builders will say. Forget the hype about bloom times, diameter/height ratios, and wick designs when a simple empty cat food can will do just fine.

superman
01-03-2010, 10:08
I got tired of using my zip stove by about Gatlinberg. I sent it home and emptied one of those little weeny cans. I made some holes just under the lip of the can. There was a esbit frame in a hiker box that the can fit perfectly in. The flame was about 1/4" from the bottom of my pan. I didn't need a wind screen using the esbit frame and it is very stable.
I used that for the rest of my thru hike and for many hikes after that. I have a trangia, home made alcohol stoves and other typse of stoves but that works fine for me.

mweinstone
01-03-2010, 10:32
wow, more lacking or plain wrong info here. i , the single hudgest matthewski will now disertate on your foolery.
most importantly, the fact that the trangia with the clickstand is a multi fuel system. when in the clickstand, the burnner filled with alcohol and is an alcohol stove. run out of alcohol, flip the trangia burnner over in the clickstand and it is measured for an esbit tablet. run out of esbit and remove the burner and burn a twiggy fire in the clickstand directly. also, my dears, ....the clickstand /trangia combo is a multi burner system. watch closely.remove the o ring from the lid, fill with fuel as a catcan would be, place three rocks or sticks or mounds of dirt around the lid for a stand and cook on burnner #1. now, place the burner inside three rocks and fill and their is burnner#2. next,....build a twiggy fire in the clickstand and you have burnner #3. for us cooks and magic givers, this is a full throttle kitchen from a small package. also. tinker is wrong. a full stove burnes slower but more efficiently and uses less fuel than a half full one. trangias own test results.

Graywolf
01-04-2010, 02:31
wow, more lacking or plain wrong info here. i , the single hudgest matthewski will now disertate on your foolery.
most importantly, the fact that the trangia with the clickstand is a multi fuel system. when in the clickstand, the burnner filled with alcohol and is an alcohol stove. run out of alcohol, flip the trangia burnner over in the clickstand and it is measured for an esbit tablet. run out of esbit and remove the burner and burn a twiggy fire in the clickstand directly. also, my dears, ....the clickstand /trangia combo is a multi burner system. watch closely.remove the o ring from the lid, fill with fuel as a catcan would be, place three rocks or sticks or mounds of dirt around the lid for a stand and cook on burnner #1. now, place the burner inside three rocks and fill and their is burnner#2. next,....build a twiggy fire in the clickstand and you have burnner #3. for us cooks and magic givers, this is a full throttle kitchen from a small package. also. tinker is wrong. a full stove burnes slower but more efficiently and uses less fuel than a half full one. trangias own test results.

Weinstone, I agree with you so heartedly.. The tangria is diffinetly my choice.. I have canoed/kayaked the brazos river her in Texas and been to heights of over 13000 feet with both my whisperlite and my tangria.. I do love my whisperlite, don't get me wrong.. But my trangria is a very versitlie stove that I think alot of hikers underestimate.. For my hiking trips, it is the way to go..

Graywolf

mweinstone
01-04-2010, 17:38
capping unused fuel elimenates measuring. also increases speed of meals.as no filling is required more than unlided burners.also i read here blowing it out is hard but not impossible? its the single most dangerous thing you can do with almost any stove of any type short of pulling out my colt and wailing on a butane. seriously folks. never ever blow on lit alcohol. one million dots of burning hell is what you can get. and all over a shelter and folks gear.burn out or cover. become good at dropping the fuel saver ring from a few inches onto the flame. if you keep it bent straigt so it closes, and lift it off the burnner with a trig or chopstick or knife, it can cool and be dropped several times and picked up with bare fingers if you miss untill you got it out. i can do this every time with practice.

zelph
01-04-2010, 19:34
also. tinker is wrong. a full stove burns slower but more efficiently and uses less fuel than a half full one. trangias own test results.

Trangia said so:-? Did they also say how long it took to boil 2 cups or tell you the jets never kicked in. It burned just like a tealight container? In cold temperatures with a breeze it may never get 2 cups to boil, not until the jets kick in, 1.5 ounces of fuel later.(speculation);)

Tinker mentioned the Trangias overheat in summer months, I've read that in other forums.

Think about the down side of this stove. The "O" ring may leak or get damaged when you forget that the stove was too hot when you tried to use it as a snuffer:)....takes a longlong time to bloom when the stove is full of fuel....Tinker suggested using only the amount of fuel necessary to acheive a boil...then why have a stove that has a screw on lid..

mweinstone
01-04-2010, 21:44
no zelph. the o ring is cared for as all vital equiptment and wouldnt matter if it was lost. their available. and the o ringed lid is never ever used as a snuff. ever. the simmer ring is. and the cold dont stop this baby and if you must have a faster bloom, you can toss it in your bag all night or put it in in a pocket or place it near a fire or warm it inyour hands or crotch. no no no no no no no no no dont say bad things about my stove. xoxoxooxmatty.

mweinstone
01-04-2010, 21:46
now ypu made me call fishin fred and get him all started makeing stickers that say" my other stove is a starlite""my other stove is a zelph"

Tinker
01-04-2010, 21:50
Zelph - I'm not going back to check my posts now, but I don't think I ever mentioned the stove overheating in the summer.
The only real drawbacks are the weight, the fact that the more fuel it has in it the longer it takes to preheat, and that brass, though stronger than aluminum, doesn't transfer heat quite as well - something I learned from the Brasslite stove site.
The Trangia's ok, it's just that there are better things out there for the ultralight crowd.

Graywolf
01-04-2010, 23:48
I don't think Tinker said it either..My trangia works wonderful during the summer..And the jets do lite up fairly quickly, takes just 15, 20 seconds for a full lite on a full stove, and yes 2 cups will boil in about 7 minutes and burn out is approx. 25 minutes on a full boil..More than enough time to cook and eat your meals..During cold weather, place a little fule down in the burner holder to warm the burner up..Cover the pot with your lid/frying pan and it will come to a boil and less time than on a summer day...As for the O ring, I've had mine since 2003, same O ring..no problem..

Graywolf

Tinker
01-05-2010, 00:04
I haven't seen these mentioned much here lately, so I'll post a link to Brasslite, since I mentioned them in an earlier post:
http://brasslite.com/

Graywolf
01-05-2010, 00:21
I haven't seen these mentioned much here lately, so I'll post a link to Brasslite, since I mentioned them in an earlier post:
http://brasslite.com/

Thanks Tinker..I have seen these and heard you talk about them but never actually seen them in use..They look durable however..And HOT!!

Graywolf

Tinker
01-05-2010, 00:25
No problem. They've been around for a while, so I don't think much about them. I have a "naked" Brasslite stove (burner only, no support) and was frustrated with the height the pot stand had to be to get the best use out of the burner - another addition to the "Tinker Museum of Hiking Wonders" :D.

zelph
01-06-2010, 12:23
It wasn't tinker that said it overheats, I retract my statement.

The Trangia sounds like it works well for many and that is good. Someone said "It's easier to change your religion than it is to change your stove" If the trangia is your first chosen then it will probably be your goto stove.

There are those that purchase one of each according to what is trendy as in titanium. Some are called gear freaks, they have one of each as they come on the market.

It's seems like the trangia is a stove that needs to be watched/attended to while it heats your water. If you don't pay attention to it the stove will continue to boil and waste fuel. And there is always the "fiddle factor"

and lift it off the burnner with a trig or chopstick or knife, it can cool and be dropped several times and picked up with bare fingers if you miss untill you got it out. i can do this every time with practice.

once the water has boiled you have to remove the windscreen, take the pot off, and try to snuff out the stove without getting burned. Once snuffed out, the heated stove continues to evaporate its fuel at a fast rate until it cools down. While waiting for the stove to cool its evaporating fuel until the screw on lid seals the stove. If you like "fiddle factors" you'll like the trangia.

I say forget about all the little bitty things that effect a stove and enjoy whatever stove you choose. Do your homework. Choose wisely!!!!!;)

Let me say this!!! It's fun making your own stove, just ask "stoviegal"

lda this is for you:sun

Matt this is for you xoxoxoxo:D

Two Speed
01-06-2010, 13:21
I have had a Trangia overheat during warmer weather; wouldn't go out when I put the snuffer/simmer ring on it.

Still, it's my "go to" stove in cold weather.

Yes, I'm a Trangia cultist. :cool:

Graywolf
01-06-2010, 22:10
It wasn't tinker that said it overheats, I retract my statement.

The Trangia sounds like it works well for many and that is good. Someone said "It's easier to change your religion than it is to change your stove" If the trangia is your first chosen then it will probably be your goto stove.

There are those that purchase one of each according to what is trendy as in titanium. Some are called gear freaks, they have one of each as they come on the market.

It's seems like the trangia is a stove that needs to be watched/attended to while it heats your water. If you don't pay attention to it the stove will continue to boil and waste fuel. And there is always the "fiddle factor"

once the water has boiled you have to remove the windscreen, take the pot off, and try to snuff out the stove without getting burned. Once snuffed out, the heated stove continues to evaporate its fuel at a fast rate until it cools down. While waiting for the stove to cool its evaporating fuel until the screw on lid seals the stove. If you like "fiddle factors" you'll like the trangia.

I say forget about all the little bitty things that effect a stove and enjoy whatever stove you choose. Do your homework. Choose wisely!!!!!;)

Let me say this!!! It's fun making your own stove, just ask "stoviegal"

lda this is for you:sun

Matt this is for you xoxoxoxo:D

Where do you get your information?? Who said you have to remove the windscreen, also, you are going to rmove the pot anyway so you can eat,... Duhhhh!!!!!..You don't have to wait till it cools to sunff it out.. I take the pot of, 1/2 sec, place snuffer, 1/2 sec, eat....oh, what a joy!!!

As for over heating, I still havnt had mine overheating and I have been using it for several years... I am not saying it is the best stove in the world, but get your facts straight first...

Everyone talks about homemade alc.stoves..My first one exploded on me..AND THATS FACT..Read my 2003 journal.. Then I bought my trangia stove..Love it..Don't get me wrong, I still use my whisperlite, and I do love it, but for ease of use and light weight, I reach for the Trangia anytime...

The Old Fhart
01-06-2010, 23:48
zelph-"It's seems like the trangia is a stove that needs to be watched/attended to while it heats your water. If you don't pay attention to it the stove will continue to boil and waste fuel. And there is always the "fiddle factor""Spoken like a person who's trying to sell you one of his stoves or doesn't really understand how a Trangia works.:-? Using a Trangia isn't that complicated to the adroit person of average intelligence.

superman
01-07-2010, 00:28
I got tired of using my zip stove by about Gatlinberg. I sent it home and emptied one of those little weeny cans. I made some holes just under the lip of the can. There was a esbit frame in a hiker box that the can fit perfectly in. The flame was about 1/4" from the bottom of my pan. I didn't need a wind screen using the esbit frame and it is very stable.
I used that for the rest of my thru hike and for many hikes after that. I have a trangia, home made alcohol stoves and other typse of stoves but that works fine for me.

By about the third time you use it you can see how much fuel it takes to boil water. I pretty much boiled the same amount of water for each meal. Simple is good.

zelph
01-08-2010, 13:55
Spoken like a person who's trying to sell you one of his stoves or doesn't really understand how a Trangia works.:-? Using a Trangia isn't that complicated to the adroit person of average intelligence.

Which one was I trying to sell????

The "Super Stove"???

The "Cobalt Blue Solist"???

The "Cobalt" ???

The "StarLyte" ???

The "Fancee Feest" ???

Which one did I mention?????:-?

The Old Fhart
01-08-2010, 14:12
Zelph-
"Which one was I trying to sell????

The "Super Stove"???

The "Cobalt Blue Solist"???

The "Cobalt" ???

The "StarLyte" ???

The "Fancee Feest" ???

Which one did I mention?????"

Someone who makes stove mentioning that another stove is crap for unfounded reasons- you figure it out.

Two Speed
01-08-2010, 14:32
Someone who makes stove mentioning that another stove is crap for unfounded reasons- you figure it out.TOF, I must have missed something. Looked and don't find Zelph saying the Trangia is crap. Quote, please.

The Old Fhart
01-08-2010, 15:50
Two Speed-"TOF, I must have missed something. Looked and don't find Zelph saying the Trangia is crap. Quote, please. "
Would you call this a recommendation? As others have pointed out, the following information isn't even factual.

Zelph-"It's seems like the trangia is a stove that needs to be watched/attended to while it heats your water. If you don't pay attention to it the stove will continue to boil and waste fuel. And there is always the "fiddle factor""

Two Speed
01-09-2010, 08:37
No, wouldn't call it a recommendation, but I don't see the word "crap" anywhere in there, either.

FWIW I have a Trangia, consider it my "go to" stove for cold weather* and will still tell anyone it's heavier than a lot of alky stoves, and can be a PITA to snuff in hot weather.

* cold weather as we have it in the southeast.

gunner76
01-10-2010, 14:25
Just got my Trangia stove with the Clikstand and windscreen. Can't wait to take it out on a hike.

Graywolf
01-12-2010, 12:16
No, wouldn't call it a recommendation, but I don't see the word "crap" anywhere in there, either.

FWIW I have a Trangia, consider it my "go to" stove for cold weather* and will still tell anyone it's heavier than a lot of alky stoves, and can be a PITA to snuff in hot weather.

* cold weather as we have it in the southeast.

PITA to snuff in hot weather??? Hmmmm.. How cool does it need ot be?? I live in Texas where I have used my Trangia in temps of upward 120* and it goes right out..

Are you snuffing it properly?? I think I may have an instruction manuel somewhere if you need one...

Two Speed
01-12-2010, 12:21
I dunno. Slapped the snuffer cap on the SOB and it started jetting flame out of the rivet hole and around the rim of the snuffer cap. Put the screw on cap over that (upside down) and it went out, but I was worried I was gonna cook the O-ring.

gunner76
01-30-2010, 12:02
KMart Grease pot fits very nicley inside the Trangia Clikstand windscreen