PDA

View Full Version : What about the rain?

Spokes
12-18-2003, 17:51
Hello everyone. I am seriously looking at the Hennessy A-Sym and just have one concern- Rain! For the life of me I just can't see how the canopy design will work in a driving rain. I guess I expected to see alot more overhang. Are my eyes playing tricks on me, is it an optical illusion, or will this canopy really keep the rain out? I'd like to hear any and all comments on your experiences, tips, or tricks to keep out the moisture when hammocking in this model.

Bankrobber
12-18-2003, 18:14
I bought a Ultralite backpacker in Harper's Ferry and used it until Caratunk. Everytime I slept in it in the rain (which was only 4 times), my feet got wet. I never figured out how to keep rain completely out. I still am glad I used it. You can find a convenient spot just about anywhere.

DebW
12-18-2003, 18:20
I use a Speer hammock, not a Hennessey. But from what I gather on the hammock camping list, many (but not all) people are satisfied with the Hennessey tarp and manage to stay dry in it most or all of the time. Some people find it skimpy for the really driving rains and replace it with a larger 8x10 silnylon tarp or even something like the Golite Cave. Practice pitching the tarp in different configuration. If you're not satisfied, replace it with something larger.

jlb2012
12-18-2003, 19:26
Bankrobber - Is it possible that the rain was coming down the rope? In other words did you tie a string to the rope to direct the water down and away from the end of the hammock?

I've had this happen a couple times to me - mostly depends on how the webbing strap (my "rope") is oriented.

bailcor
12-18-2003, 20:24
I have only slept in the HH five times and two of those times were in the rain.

The wind was blowing moderately once. I centered and lowered the fly right on top of the hammock.

I then tied off the guy lines almost straight down and tight. This kept me dry and sort of cacooned me. I don't know about heavy winds.

attroll
12-19-2003, 02:27
I have never sleep in a heavy down poor but have slept in my HH in the rain a few times and never had a problem I did the same thing that Bailcor did. I tied off the guy lines almost straight down and tight and never had a problem.

Spokes
12-19-2003, 06:13
Thanks for the replies. I'll continue to research other models and make a decision after the holidays. Looking forward to trying one out!

Crash
12-19-2003, 09:18
I have the Original Hennessey and have used it in the pouring rain. I tied the tarp & side guylines together. and anchored them down instead of out. At times I didnt think I would stay dry but I did. I did have to be careful to sit under it and cook and not get wet. A larger tarp that now comes with the Asym helps. Now I carry a very small tarp 4x8 if I know I will be out in a lot of rain.

You have to be flexible and tinker with your hammock to learn what works for you.
and get the snake skins- that helps with the water running down the ropes.

Jeff
12-19-2003, 09:57
Just a reminder that Sgt.Rocks website talks all about pitching the Hennessey in a heavy rain situation.

Also, the Asym...while it does have a larger rain fly...it is only SLIGHTLY larger.

Bankrobber
12-19-2003, 10:18
My problem with the Hammock is that it is slightly offset to save weight. The result is that usually one of the ends slides to the side, allowing water in. I have tried multiple tarp configurations. I even tried using clothspins. Nothing seemed to work. A few others had the same problem, and switched to a different tarp. I will most likely buy a new tarp.

Hammock Hanger
12-20-2003, 09:40
:bse I carried 3 different Hennessy Hammocks for over 2000 AT miles, as well as section hikes on the FTA, LT and in the ADKs.

Some of the storms I hung through were awesome! I was ALWAYS dry. (Well except for the time I was so tired I forgot to hook the fly to the hammock, but that was operator error.)

I'm telling the truth from my stand point. HIKERHEAD, am I lyin'...

IMO, if the hammock and the fly are put up properly you will stay dry.

Sue/Hammock Hanger

Hikerhead
12-20-2003, 10:17
:bse I carried 3 different Hennessy Hammocks for over 2000 AT miles, as well as section hikes on the FTA, LT and in the ADKs.

Some of the storms I hung through were awesome! I was ALWAYS dry. (Well except for the time I was so tired I forgot to hook the fly to the hammock, but that was operator error.)

I'm telling the truth from my stand point. HIKERHEAD, am I lyin'...

IMO, if the hammock and the fly are put up properly you will stay dry.

Sue/Hammock Hanger

Hammy is right. She's learned how to set that up in rain. Like everything, it takes practice. The trick is to pull the rain fly down around the hammock. Use tent stakes and hang the fly as far down around you as you can. I've learned how NOT to set it up. I always liked to leave the fly high so that I could see out around me. By doing that I had an awful night on top of Symm's Gap/Peters Mtn If it's going to rain, forget about the view and tie the fly low.

HH has forgotten her night on top of Sinking Creek Mtn. That's a good story she needs to tell.....

Hammock Hanger
12-20-2003, 10:23
HH has forgotten her night on top of Sinking Creek Mtn. That's a good story she needs to tell.....[/QUOTE]

That is the night I was tired and did not hook the fly down at the feet. Long story sure no wants to hear... Short of it was, I awoke in a bath tub at 1 am, absolutely everything I had was wet/soaked. I found myself hiking to the Saver Shelter in the fog and pouring rain, it took me a very long time to find the shelter as I couldn't see the trail or the blazes in the fog. Actually walked into it around 3 in the morning. Thank God I had taken my synthetic sleeping bag. (I normally carry a down.)

NOTE: It was my fault as I did not secure the fly at the foot of the hammock.

Sue/HH

Hikerhead
12-20-2003, 10:36
HH has forgotten her night on top of Sinking Creek Mtn. That's a good story she needs to tell.....

That is the night I was tired and did not hook the fly down at the feet. Long story sure no wants to hear... Short of it was, I awoke in a bath tub at 1 am, absolutely everything I had was wet/soaked. I found myself hiking to the Saver Shelter in the fog and pouring rain, it took me a very long time to find the shelter as I couldn't see the trail or the blazes in the fog. Actually walked into it around 3 in the morning. Thank God I had taken my synthetic sleeping bag. (I normally carry a down.)

NOTE: It was my fault as I did not secure the fly at the foot of the hammock.

Sue/HH[/QUOTE]

This was a bad night to start hiking. When I dropped you off at about 7 pm on rt 42 it was sleeting then. Very cold and wet. Prime hypothermic conditions. I'm glad you made it ok, I knew you would.

Zuri
01-02-2004, 14:58
[QUOTE=icantsleep]Thanks for the replies. I'll continue to research other models and make a decision after the holidays. Looking forward to trying one out![/
Reply:
Did you get your HH yet? I have the ultralite asym and love it. I was hiking with friends that had a tent on the West Rim Trail in PA. It rained for 2.5 days straight. I was dry....my tent friends were not (it was even a Sierra Designs tent and they make good tents). I agree with the other posts. If you hang your HH properly, you will be dry.

2Ply
01-02-2004, 16:35
I have used a Clark hammock for years and it has kept me dry and comfortable in all seasons. Not to knock to HH but why dont we here more about the Clark or other hammock types out there? :-?

Hikerhead
01-02-2004, 17:17
I have used a Clark hammock for years and it has kept me dry and comfortable in all seasons. Not to knock to HH but why dont we here more about the Clark or other hammock types out there? :-?

I have a Clark also and so far no water problems. I would almost go and say it's 100% waterproof but that would be foolish.

My last overnighter in the SNP proved to me that rain will not be a problem in this hammock.

Crash
01-04-2004, 16:20

We are hammockers and we don't knock other hammockers. I have a Hennessey but I might have gone with one of the others if I had not heard about the Hennessey first. A hammock is better than any tent.

Lumberjack
01-05-2004, 01:17
Hennessy does make different flys and they can be substituted at the time of order if you order it direct. an example, the safari hammock which weighs 4.5 lbs uses a very large poly tarp- for an extra 80 you can get the sil-nylon version instead. This tarp is also availible on most of the other models.

hammock tarps like any other tarp needs to be sized according to need. While the original is enough to keep the rain out it is rather small to cook under and generally spend time under it.

to get the tarp on right for a hennessy.... clip it on to the main support ropes and push the sliders in a few inches. Then tie out the sides tightly. the last step is to then move the sliders outward on the main rope untill taunt in both directions. for light "weather" it isnt to fussy but for the heavier stuff you need to pitch the tarp as low as possible.

peter_pan
01-05-2004, 08:37
Last spring, the wettest in years i spent 55 days on a 625 mile section, springer to pearisburg,VA. Almost every night in a hammock. I was never wet in my hennessy. Couple of tricks. I tie my hiking shoes together and hang over the end, normally the head end as i don't like banging into them on my night time p-breaks. putting a 24x36 piece of tyveck over them ensures that they stay dry and weather protects the last foot or so of the hammock. Wind and storm is easily tamed by hiking 20-30 feet over to the lee of a hill. As an older guy, i love a 30 degree slope. Why? because i can hang the hammock at normal 5+ feet and anchor the up-hill tarp corner to the ground. No crawling around, still have a good sitting chair, and enjoy the solitude. On occasion i leave the down hill side high enough to see out, and watch the game move about.

MedicineMan
01-06-2004, 05:14
I subbed the OEM fly with the HH Backpacker A-sym for the Cave2,,,it is overkill for rain protection, sweet for dry real estate underneath, but there is a weight penalty of course.
the only time I have experienced wetness was in a hard hard horizontal rain just past Albert Mtn, it was more than expected since I was setting up in it. I used an underquilt of cheapo Walmart stuff and it eventually wetted out-I never felt wet inside but when packing up I detected a wet spot on the foot end of the underquilt.
After that, even with a Cave2 I have setup in places as sheltered as possible, favorite being a laurel tunnel on the other side of Docs Knob.....

Spokes
01-10-2004, 16:57
No not yet. I've decided on the HH ultralight asym and should order in the next month. Can't wait to try it out. I'll probably do an 80 miler in Spring so that will be a good shakedown hike for it. I've learned a lot in this forum. Thanks guys! So long.

tlbj6142
01-10-2004, 17:31
A couple more tips about using your HH in the rain.

Make sure you setup the fly centered and very tight. Pull the ridgeline connections somewhat tight and then seriously tighten the pullouts. Go back and pull the ridgeline connections if needed.
As mentioned several times above, if you expect wind/rain, tie the fly more down than out.
Install some type of drip line on the ridgeline. If you have enough left over ridgeline, tie another half-hitch out where the fly connects and let the rest of the cord hang straigh down
Install sling-shot bands to the fly's tie-outs. This helps keep the fly from flapping around on windy nights. You may have noticed that once you lay in the hammock the fly's ridgeline tie-outs actually move closer together resulting in a bit of slack in the fly. This slack flaps in the wind and may allow wind driven rain under the fly. On rainless windy nights, the flapping fly can be quite annoying. I think I mentioned more details of this a few months ago. If it can't be found, I'll dig-up the write-up I found in the Yahoo! Hammock Camping group. BTW, I pull the tie-outs such that the rubberbands are about 2'-3' long before I get into the hammock.
As mentioned serveral times above, site location is very important. Besides sheltering hammock from the bodyheat sucking wind, also try to put the edge from the footend of the fly to footend tie-out into the wind.
Practice. Some issues about hammocking camping might seem to be a bit more complicated than they really are. After 3-5 nights out, you'll have most issues resolved.
Good Luck.