PDA

View Full Version : Tent or Hammock

spike79
12-27-2007, 00:20
I am just getting into backpacking and I'm kinda lost. I'm a larger guy having a hard time finding a tent big enough without all the weight. I'm 6' 260 any suggestions? Was thinking about a Clarke Jungle hammock, but don't anyone that has one or used one?

Tinker
12-27-2007, 00:39
I haven't tried a Clarke, but have used a Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker Asym for a few years. Sgt. Rock has a side by side comparison on his website that you would probably like to look at.
Hennessy makes a heavier duty hammock than mine for guys your size, so don't give up on the Hennessy. I didn't buy the Clarke because it sets up a little more slowly and is heavier. I like the Hennessy because, when you lay diagonally, your back is pretty straight and the hammock doesn't hug you like your lonesome aunt Ginny:D , allowing good airflow in hot weather. Also, no zippers to break.

FanaticFringer
12-27-2007, 01:13
Welcome to the site. You might consider a Treklight double hammock. It has a 400lb. weight limit. www.treklightonline.com Eno hammocks sells one that is identical. Much cheaper than a Clark. You dont need a bugnet in colder weather. You could get one later.
Many options for a nice tarp. Check out the hammock camping archives here.
Also go to www.tothewoods.net for some really good info.
Come join us in hammock talk at www.hammockforums.net This site was started by Attroll, who helped start WhiteBalze. He is a hammock camper also.

Cannibal
12-27-2007, 01:27
I started my hanging life at about 250 lbs. I'm also 6' and have not had any problems finding lots of hammocks that work very well for me. I started with a Hennessy, but quickly switched to better hammocks. The Trek Light Double that FanaticFringer mentioned is a great hammock and very comfortable (about $60), but you'll need insulation and a tarp. The Clarks have a pretty loyal user base, I haven't personally used one but I trust the people that have. The Speer hammocks are also great and will easily accommodate your size and weight.

Good luck and happy hangin!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-27-2007, 08:15
IME, HH don't work as well for heavier occupants or occupants with any sort of mobility or back issues. If you are seriously considering a hammock, HikingHQ (sgt Rock's site) (http://hikinghq.net/forum/?)and Hammock forums (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php) have a lot of info about various hammocks. Hammock forum has several Clarke users and several big fellows for you to talk with regarding the best hammocking options.

I'm currently using a Jacks R Better Bear Mountain hammock (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm)and finding it to be the most comfortable and easiest to enter and exit.

spike79
12-27-2007, 09:19
Thanks for the info and links. They are helping me in my search!

Programbo
12-27-2007, 09:23
I am just getting into backpacking and I'm kinda lost. I'm a larger guy having a hard time finding a tent big enough without all the weight. I'm 6' 260 any suggestions?

What are you considering "all the weight"?..There are plenty of 2 person tents out there that are at or under 4 pounds..I would think a young man in his 20`s and 6' tall should have no trouble carrying that

spike79
12-27-2007, 09:26
Fair enough! Just looking for some suggestions!

Hooch
12-27-2007, 09:36
What are you considering "all the weight"?..There are plenty of 2 person tents out there that are at or under 4 pounds..I would think a young man in his 20`s and 6' tall should have no trouble carrying thatBut he'd be more comfortable in a hammock. :D Don't listen to the naysayers, you'll thank yourself for a long time for getting yourself a hammock. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-27-2007, 09:46
As Programbo notes, there are some lightweight tent options for bigger fellows - the Single and Double Rainbow (http://www.tarptent.com/products.html), and Lunar solo and Duo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/) come immediately to mind.

spike79
12-27-2007, 10:13
How well do they hold up in bad weather? Is the MHW haven2 too much for a solo?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-27-2007, 10:28
How well do they hold up in bad weather? Is the MHW haven2 too much for a solo?Personally, I wouldn't carry a tent over 5 lbs for a solo, but to each his own. For the AT, the Dinos (two older hikers) use a small bivy tent (3 lbs) and a large silnylon tarp (10' x 12')... tons of dry space for hanging out and cooking.... the bivy for sleeping, warmth and bug protection. Tarp allows us to leave windows and net roof open in warm, wet weather. Total weight for everything is just under 5 lbs

sasquatch2014
12-27-2007, 10:37
I use a Clark North American and love it. It may set up slower as someone said but if a few more Min. are that big a deal I'll just have to walk faster.
I am just about 6 ft and at my heaviest was about 245lbs. (I am getting close to that again as I put on my winter weight. Need to get back out on the trail) It holds me fine and never gave me reason to think that it wouldn't. I have had two back surgeries and never have any issues when I sleep in the Clark. I do recommend getting a bigger fly than the standard as all it is really designed to do is keep the hammock dry. It will not provide room to really do much cooking under or gear storage.

Ewker
12-27-2007, 11:22
go with whatever you are comfortable with. I can sleep in tent or a hammock and can't tell any difference in the morning.
You can get a Henry Shires tarptent (different styles) that will weigh 2 lbs. Mine can sleep 2 people comfortably or just me and my gear.
I prefer a Speer Hammock www.speerhammocks.com (http://www.speerhammocks.com) over a hennessy. I just don't like the way you have to get in and out of them.

rafe
12-27-2007, 11:31
Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. Well-tested, used on hundreds of succesful thru-hikes. 3 pounds 11 oz.. $130 at Campmor.

Just Jeff
12-27-2007, 19:41
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who disliked a Clark, and they certainly have a loyal following - but there are plenty of folks who have tried a Clark and switched to something lighter. Usually, the lighter ones have fewer extras, so it's just a trade-off depending on your hiking style. Things like zip-on weathershield and sewn-on pockets add to price and weight...but if you like them, you're the one carrying and paying for the hammock, and that's all that matters.

Since weight was brought up - the weights are very comparable between ground and hammock kits when you compare feature-per-feature (bug nets, extra space, temperature, etc). So the biggest factor for most folks is comfort, and for most folks hammocks win hands down. Other folks don't want to deal with learning a new skill, or with not being able to stay in shelters b/c they use an underquilt instead of a pad, etc. Just like the Clark's extras - just depends on your hiking style. Here are some real-world numbers:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html

SlowLightTrek
12-27-2007, 20:49
I didn't use my tent all that much but I sure did carry it a long way. If I did it again I would take a bivy-sack. Your tent will be wet regardless if you tent in the rain, which you will. But if it rains you most likely will be in the shelter with everyone else.

take-a-knee
12-28-2007, 01:07
I didn't use my tent all that much but I sure did carry it a long way. If I did it again I would take a bivy-sack. Your tent will be wet regardless if you tent in the rain, which you will. But if it rains you most likely will be in the shelter with everyone else.

Not me Bro, I'll be swayin' in the breeze in a vermin-free hammock.

earlyriser26
12-28-2007, 09:52
Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. Well-tested, used on hundreds of succesful thru-hikes. 3 pounds 11 oz.. $130 at Campmor.
Being 6 foot and 260 you might find this tent a little cramped. I'm 6 foot and 260 and found this tent to be workable, but not ideal. I find using a lighter weight full size two person tent is the best option. Yes you can save a whole pound by using one of the smaller tents like the clip flashlight, but if you weigh 260 and with a full pack you are pushing 300 lbs. so what difference does 1 lb make? 1/3 of a %?????

rafe
12-28-2007, 10:12
AFAIK, the Clip Flashlight is listed as a two-person tent. It's much larger than the "oversized bivy" tents like my old Eureka Gossamer or the MSR Microzoid. In the past, it's been used frequently by couples hiking the AT.

earlyriser26
12-28-2007, 11:05
AFAIK, the Clip Flashlight is listed as a two-person tent. It's much larger than the "oversized bivy" tents like my old Eureka Gossamer or the MSR Microzoid. In the past, it's been used frequently by couples hiking the AT.
Those couples had better be good friends. I like room to move around, bring equipment in, etc. Some people will do anything to save a pound.

slow
12-28-2007, 12:15
SMD DUO-90x54 3lb total packed with cf poles and stakes.

Tipi Walter
12-28-2007, 12:38
Now tell me, who's gonna spend five days in a blizzard on an open bald in a hammock?? Get a tent.

rafe
12-28-2007, 12:41
Those couples had better be good friends. I like room to move around, bring equipment in, etc. Some people will do anything to save a pound.

Well, actually, the Clip Flashlight predates the "ultralight' thing by quite a few years. It was already popular on the AT in 1990. I imagine SD has cranked out tens of thousands of copies of this tent over the years.

Don't confuse it with the Sierra Designs LightYear, which is a newer, single-person tent.

floyd242
12-28-2007, 14:14
I'm 6'0 250 and I use a Seedhouse SL1...

take-a-knee
12-28-2007, 14:21
Now tell me, who's gonna spend five days in a blizzard on an open bald in a hammock?? Get a tent.

I saw trees on the horizon of your picture, walk to the trees and set your hammock up. The AT ain't the Colorado Trail.

partinj
12-28-2007, 14:21
Hey Spike79 here a picture of the tent i am taking on my thur-hike i a m 6 to .http://www.campmor.com/images/tents/23889.jpg

partinj
12-28-2007, 14:23
Yet one more thing it only 99.00 right now at campmor.com great tent total weight 3lbs 8oz.

partinj
12-28-2007, 14:26
Sorry should have got this all in one post here is the name and the item number for the tent at campmor
Eureka Spitfire Tent
Item Number: 23889

Programbo
12-28-2007, 14:35
Being 6 foot and 260 you might find this tent a little cramped.....Those couples had better be good friends.

Well, actually, the Clip Flashlight predates the "ultralight' thing by quite a few years. It was already popular on the AT in 1990. I imagine SD has cranked out tens of thousands of copies of this tent over the years.....Don't confuse it with the Sierra Designs LightYear, which is a newer, single-person tent.

I think he may be confusing the older 1 person version of the Clip Flashlight with the Clip Flashlight 2...At one time there were 2 versions of this tent (Maybe they simply renamed the 1 person version the LightYear?)and I can see how the 1 person version would be cramped for someone 6' and 260...But the later/current version has a sleeping area of 5' x 7.5' (Not counting the corners) so it is more than roomy enough

4eyedbuzzard
12-28-2007, 14:53
Not me Bro, I'll be swayin' in the breeze in a vermin-free hammock.

Vermin free, like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rxNJPR94u0 :eek: :D

Just Jeff
12-28-2007, 21:58

Wasn't five days, but...

Besides, five days in a tent is no better than five days in a hammock. At least the hammock is comfortable.