PDA

View Full Version : For Southbounders

Almost There
12-27-2007, 00:50
Well it's official, I'm not going thru, but I will be starting at the Big K on June 10th or 11th and plan on hiking to Mt. Washington. I'm posting this for anyone that may be flying into Portland on the 9th. If you're interested, I am planning on renting a car from there. Worst case scenario drive up to Bangor and catch the bus to Medway. If I can get one or two hikers to split cost of car it would be cheaper than taking a bus to Bangor. Also, right now flights are pretty cheap into Portland. I got round trip tickets for $278. I think one ways were around $165 total from Atlanta to Portland.

Lone Wolf
12-27-2007, 02:10
take the bus from portland to bangor then another from bangor to medway

Almost There
12-27-2007, 02:19
Yeah, I got the bus thing, but I might rent a car and return it in Bangor so I can run some errands before heading up. Bus doesn't leave Bangor until 6:30pm and I can return the car to the Bangor Airport.

Sly
12-27-2007, 02:49
One of the best 350 mile sections in the US. Enjoy! Oh, you're hiking in June... the black flies are going to eat you alive! :D

Nerdy headnet time.... :p

Lone Wolf
12-27-2007, 02:52
make sure to ford the kennebec

Almost There
12-27-2007, 03:08
Hah!!! The official way or the Doyle way?:D

Sly
12-27-2007, 03:11
Yeah man, give the ford a shot. Especially if you make the river early before the ferry is running. If you drown, you never heard it here. ;)

Almost There
12-27-2007, 03:23
Yeah man, give the ford a shot. Especially if you make the river early before the ferry is running. If you drown, you never heard it here. ;)

:eek: Geez, I thought you guys were my friends.:D We'll see where my cajones are at when I hit it!

Almost There
12-27-2007, 03:25
As for the June thing, they keep starting school up earlier and earlier, I gotta be back for meetings the last week of July now!

Kirby
12-27-2007, 17:26
22 bucks will get you a ticket on Concord Trailways from Portland to Bangor. Once you get to Medway, the AT Lodge in Millinockett will pick you up and bring you to Millinockett.

Once you start, your best best bet would be to do Katahdin on day one, either stay in Millinockett the first night or reserve a spot at Katahdin Stream, and then day 2 either go to Abol Bridge or Hurd Brook Lean to. The State conservation department has a nice campsite at Abol, right across the street from Abol campground. Hurd Brook is roughly 4 miles into the wilderness.

Kirby