PDA

View Full Version : Need help to Resize my Photos

STEVEM
12-27-2007, 09:27
I'm sure this is very simple, but I'm just not that computer savy.

I want to put my photos in the Whiteblaze Gallery and have followed the uploading procedure only to get the message that file size is too large. The photos I've saved from my camera to my computer are about 3MB in size and I know there must be a simple way to resize them so they will be accepted by the WB server.

Can someone explain this procedure in simple terms?

Cuffs
12-27-2007, 09:31
Try the info here
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28877&highlight=resize+photo

Furlough
12-27-2007, 09:34

I want to put my photos in the Whiteblaze Gallery and have followed the uploading procedure only to get the message that file size is too large. The photos I've saved from my camera to my computer are about 3MB in size and I know there must be a simple way to resize them so they will be accepted by the WB server.

Find the the current dimensions of your photos by right clicking to see the properties of length and width. Change length and width to no more than 2560 x 1920 using whatever photo editor you have.

Then upload as per the instructions.

Furlough

Ghosthiker
12-27-2007, 10:01
A great (and free) program for pictures is irfanview. You can also resize them and it will maintain proportions.

rafe
12-27-2007, 10:06
Change length and width to no more than 2560 x 1920 using whatever photo editor you have.

That's still pretty large. Most monitors are set for much smaller dimensions than that... and displayable image area in most browsers is smaller still. I'd recommend something around 800 x 600. But hey, if ATTroll isn't complaining about disk space or bandwidth, knock yourself out!

Heater
12-27-2007, 10:08
You can use Micro$oft Paint for a simple resize too. It is included in the MS operating systems.

soulrebel
12-27-2007, 10:17
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Image resizer works as a right click function 3 size options available

Footslogger
12-27-2007, 10:22

=============================================

Download "Picasa" from Google (free) and use it to resize your shots.

http://picasa.google.com/

Fast and simple. Once you pull a photo into Picassa you just click the "Export" button at the bottom of the screen and choose the final size you want. For website uploads I typically downsize my orginal shots to the 800 pixel range.

'Slogger

Fiddler
12-27-2007, 11:23
Besides the good programs already mentioned go to www.download.com (http://www.download.com) for a ton of shareware and freeware programs for photography and just about anything else.

sasquatch2014
12-27-2007, 12:17
I was having the issue too and then one of the fellows i was hiking with told me that if I upload them to my TJ account first they will get sized there. I then open then in TJ save that as a sized version of the pic and upload that to WB. works fine and saves me the hassle of doing it in the photo editing program that I have. I know someone will say this is an ass backwards way to do it but then again so am I.

BigStu
12-27-2007, 17:42
If you are using a Mac the Shackle widget is a very quick and easy way of resizing photos too

rafe
12-27-2007, 17:48
I was having the issue too and then one of the fellows i was hiking with told me that if I upload them to my TJ account first they will get sized there. I then open then in TJ save that as a sized version of the pic and upload that to WB. works fine and saves me the hassle of doing it in the photo editing program that I have. I know someone will say this is an ass backwards way to do it but then again so am I.

Whoever told you that was jerking your chain. This method is nasty, lazy and slow, given that digicam images can be several megabytes each (even in JPG format.) It sucks bandwidth and server storage space needlessly. Properly sized for the screen, your images will upload many times fast. It's not that hard to do it right, folks. :rolleyes:

sasquatch2014
12-27-2007, 18:35
Hey turtle boy it works fine and have been doing it for some time and if a 600 by 800 image sucks bandwidth then the issue is not from my end. Not sure what "nasty" is in this aspect but it is faster than the way that I have been resizing in the past and I post to my TJ account anyway so it is multi-taksing if that is also seen as lazy so be it. Sorry if I am not a Technophial. I prefer to spend my time doing other things.

Speaking of Photos have others experienced an issue trying to upload images in the last few days?

rafe
12-27-2007, 19:12
Sasquatch... your explanation isn't making sense. Most cameras these days produce images much larger than 600 x 800. That's the size you want to end up with after resizing. I thought you had described a process where you upload the original camera images to TJ and use TJ for the resizing. So which is it???? My apologies if I misunderstood you...

rlharris
12-27-2007, 19:38
Another freeware program (that a lot of professionals use) is bdsizer.exe. It is available from photo-freeware.net. It is currently rated #22 in number of downloads. Very easy to use. Even has a batch mode.

sasquatch2014
12-27-2007, 21:14
On the camera that I tend to use the most the original image is 2592 x 1944. I take this full size image and upload it to my TJ account. TJ sizes the images down to 600 x 800. I then take these smaller images and can upload them to sites that need the smaller image like WB. Sorry if you thought it was the other way around. The other camera that I use at times takes even larger images and can save them in a raw data format that really is a large file.

rafe
12-27-2007, 22:13
On the camera that I tend to use the most the original image is 2592 x 1944. I take this full size image and upload it to my TJ account. TJ sizes the images down to 600 x 800. I then take these smaller images and can upload them to sites that need the smaller image like WB. Sorry if you thought it was the other way around. The other camera that I use at times takes even larger images and can save them in a raw data format that really is a large file.

Yeah, so what I'm questioning is the initial uploading of the 2592 x 1944 image to TJ. That's gotta be at least a megabyte or two per image, if you're using a decent JPG setting. The 600x800 image starts out 1/10 the size. Its equivalent JPG will be 150 KBytes or so, tops.

sasquatch2014
12-28-2007, 00:35
But the image when it is uploaded to TJ is converted to the 600 x 800. It does not upload as the full sized image.

rafe
12-28-2007, 00:42
But the image when it is uploaded to TJ is converted to the 600 x 800. It does not upload as the full sized image.

Well, what the heck did you mean by this, then:

On the camera that I tend to use the most the original image is 2592 x 1944. I take this full size image and upload it to my TJ account.

????? :-? We seem to have a failure to communicate.

sasquatch2014
12-28-2007, 00:47
I don't resize before I upload it to the TJ account TJ does it in the process of uploading.

Do you have a TJ account? If so take a big file and upload it. You will see that it resizes the image in the process.

rafe
12-28-2007, 01:23
Do you have a TJ account?

No, but I've got my own website (http://www.terrapinphoto.com). I know how to resize images, thank you. Only on the very rarest of occasions will I upload and post a full-resolution digital image. There are informal galleries at that site for family and friends, but I only give out the links to family and friends...

Programbo
12-28-2007, 10:10
I use a program called MicroSoft Picture It!...It allows you to resize (Either physical size or dpi) and also adjust tint, contrast, brightness, crop, rotate, eliminate red-eye..Etc

Heater
12-28-2007, 12:55
I don't resize before I upload it to the TJ account TJ does it in the process of uploading.

Do you have a TJ account? If so take a big file and upload it. You will see that it resizes the image in the process.

You are still sending the larger file to their server and using their resources to resize your photo. They recieved the large file. You should resize your photos before sending. It will speed your upload time and cause less stres on their server.

Tennessee Viking
12-28-2007, 17:42

Google "Windows powertoys." http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

There is a small tool "Image Resizer" that you can download which will resize pictures on your computer. You basically pick out your photos, right click, and choose resize pictures to a more internet afficient resolution.

summitnh
12-28-2007, 19:06
http://picasa.google.com/ is what I use. Easy and Free