PDA

View Full Version : Time of the month :(

bolickj
12-27-2007, 10:28
I get really week while walking the trail during that time of the month. I do make sure i eat enough and drink enough water but i just still have no energy. Any suggestions????

JAK
12-27-2007, 11:37
Lots of stuff going on there. Lots of things that it could be. I suggest studying the biology in even more detail than you already have, and then maybe consulting a doctor that specializes in 'sports medicine' to help pinpoint what specifically might be going on in your case, and how you might adjust your diet and activities. Also consider the various impacts of different methods of contraception. Also talk to other athletes, but you are already doing that. Bear in mind that there are many complexities here, and if you even figure it out something will change, but try to enjoy figuring it all out. Learn to know when to slow down and also when you don't need to. Embrace your own human biology along with all the other natural rythms of the trail.

Finally, avoid the the teepee of shame. ;)
Consider instead the temple of contemplation. :)

The words temple and contemplation have the same root, from Greek temnein: to cut or divide. This implies many things. It means gaining wisdom and understanding by dividing and studying the heavenly bodies and natural cycles in their various parts, including your own. It also means living those natural cycles. Walk on. Dream on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62TYe65r37A

warraghiyagey
12-27-2007, 11:48
Lots of stuff going on there. Lots of things that it could be. I suggest studying the biology in even more detail than you already have, and then maybe consulting a doctor that specializes in 'sports medicine' to help pinpoint what specifically might be going on in your case, and how you might adjust your diet and activities. Also consider the various impacts of different methods of contraception. Also talk to other athletes, but you are already doing that. Bear in mind that there are many complexities here, and if you even figure it out something will change, but try to enjoy figuring it all out. Learn to know when to slow down and also when you don't need to. Embrace your own human biology along with all the other natural rythms of the trail.

Finally, avoid the the teepee of shame. ;)
Consider instead the temple of contemplation. :)

The words temple and contemplation have the same root, from Greek temnein: to cut or divide. This implies many things. It means gaining wisdom and understanding by dividing and studying the heavenly bodies and natural cycles in their various parts, including your own. It also means living those natural cycles. Walk on. Dream on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62TYe65r37A
Hey JAK, did you have mushrooms in your cereal this morning??

warraghiyagey
12-27-2007, 11:51
I get really week while walking the trail during that time of the month. I do make sure i eat enough and drink enough water but i just still have no energy. Any suggestions????
Kick up your protein intake (considerably)before, during and after. Also add some type of electrolyte powder mix to your water. And check on the necessity for iron supplements for active women.

JAK
12-27-2007, 13:19
Yeah well a 22 year old woman shouldn't be feeling weak while walking.
What if she is anemic or something and her cycle is bringing out the symptoms?

I would take it more seriously. I would see a doctor.

JAK
12-27-2007, 13:29
Hey JAK, did you have mushrooms in your cereal this morning??It's more of a chronic condition. :D

warraghiyagey
12-27-2007, 13:35
It's more of a chronic condition. :D
Sweet, can you throw a little in that Pepsi??

Lone Wolf
12-27-2007, 13:36
unless you boys are MDs you need to take your fun elsewhere.

warraghiyagey
12-27-2007, 13:37
unless you boys are MDs you need to take your fun elsewhere.
Sorry, but we did actually contribut serious answers.:)

take-a-knee
12-27-2007, 14:24

Get you hemoglobin checked by your OB/GYN.

bolickj
12-27-2007, 15:04
Thanks for the ideas!

Blissful
12-27-2007, 22:49
I took a multivite with iron during my hike. But going to see a Dr to check blood work is a good idea.

wakapak
12-27-2007, 23:33
i agree with everyone...get your bloodwork checked and see if it's possible iron deficiency thing going on. Even if you aren't deficient all the time, you possibly could be during your cycle...i've found that happens to me even while not hiking, and when i kick up iron and protein intake, I don't feel as weak or tired....just an idea...
but i would get it checked out....

and JAK, i liked what you wrote about the natural cycles of the heavenly bodies, moon and the humans...cool stuff!

Mad Hatter 08
01-02-2008, 00:08
Definitely check with your doc. But especially if you have a kind of heavy flow, you may become slightly anemic during your period. increasing iron intake can help battle anemia as well as increasing protien. but again check with your doc s/he can make sure you're not "too" anemic which may be an indication of something more serious and give you suggestions to help feel more peppy.

hikerjess
01-19-2008, 10:35
I have had a very similar problem with long distance running for years. I went to my doctor and had blood work completed and we've discovered that although I am not anemic, I do not have the adequate amount of iron to support my activity level. My solution was taking iron supplements. However, my advice would be to go to your doctor, because not all iron supplements are the same. In addition, taking iron supplements can be dangerous if not under the guidance of a physician. While too little iron is bad...too much is often worse! Going on the pill might also help, since it decreases the amount of flow and the length of your period.

Butterflymoon
01-19-2008, 12:06
You might also ask you doc to check you vit D levels. But do follow up with your OB/GYN.