PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Thru Hike

scout005
12-18-2003, 20:28
okay, okay, i know. it's a long way off. but that's the earliest date i can anticipate doing my thru hike. (kids will be finished college). love to hear from any long range planners out there who are thinking of doing a thru hike in 2009 northbound. looking for a partner as my long time hiking buddy has given up on the idea.

attroll
12-19-2003, 02:23
I am a long range planner also. I am waiting for the same thing you are. I am waiting to two years after the kid is out of school and the house. This will let me save some money to support the bills that will come up while I am gone. I am planning a 2010 thru hike. But if I do it a year early I will keep you in mind.

Jewels
12-19-2003, 10:31
okay, okay, i know. it's a long way off. but that's the earliest date i can anticipate doing my thru hike. (kids will be finished college). love to hear from any long range planners out there who are thinking of doing a thru hike in 2009 northbound. looking for a partner as my long time hiking buddy has given up on the idea.

Planning ahead is a good thing! 2006 is my date....I will be 40, my daughter will be graduating college when I return! Planning on going South, from June to Dec....sure would be nice to start the new year on Springer Mountain with a bottle of the bubbly!

Grimace
12-19-2003, 13:56
Planning ahead is a good thing! 2006 is my date....I will be 40, my daughter will be graduating college when I return! Planning on going South, from June to Dec....sure would be nice to start the new year on Springer Mountain with a bottle of the bubbly!

We finished on Springer with a bottle of bubbly and some beers. It wasn't New Years, but still wanted to celebrate. We bought the stuff in Hiawassee, shipped it overnight to Walasi Yi, and lugged it for 3 days. Ugh. Tasted awesome when we got there though. Just an FYI

Triple A
12-22-2003, 14:55
We are planning our AT trip for 2007, when my husband and I are both 59. By that time the mortgage should be paid off so our early retirement can begin. Since we are long time campers, but new to hiking, we are busy gathering gear so we can do some shorter hikes in Michigan next year. In preparation, we began working with a trainer (if left to our own devices, we are pretty unmotivated to workout) and now have actual MUSCLES. Maybe we can persuade one of our kids to look after the house for us. Our daughter has already been assigned the task of taking care of whatever dogs we have that are still around at the time -- as we have done the same for her.

Its good to have something wonderful/exciting/challenging to anticipate.

Triple A

Doctari
12-23-2003, 22:04
Talk about long range planning. I'm gearing up for 2019 :cool: Ill be 65 by then, kids will be gone, bills paid & retirement plan in effect.

Wish I could start as soon as you :p but till then, its a few miles a year till I get to the big K.

Have fun!

Doctari.

rumbler
12-23-2003, 23:59
Damn. I didn't even know what the AT was until January of this year.

Well. You will certainly be prepared. Hats off to you, have a great hike!

Spirit Walker
12-24-2003, 11:28
There's nothing wrong with planning a long hike years in advance, but you must be aware that plans can and will change between now and then, so looking for a partner now is pretty futile. When we were planning our CDT hike, I collected the names and emails of a dozen hikers who said on various forums that they were going out the same year we were. That spring I contacted all of them to see whether we might end up running into them that year. For one reason or another, every single one of them had cancelled. Life happens.

The main thing for you and all the other long term planners is to get out every chance you can and go hiking and backpacking between now and your planned hike. Take a week or two on the AT this summer, try a couple of weeks elsewhere next year. One of the biggest reasons for failure on the AT is unrealistic expectations of what long distance hiking is. While there are days of sunshine and butterflies, there are also a lot of days of rain, blisters and rocks. Find out if you actually like to hike all day every day. Some people love to camp - but long distance hiking is more about the hiking than the camping. Some folks have years of experience dayhiking, but find that carrying a heavy pack and sleeping out every night isn't what they thought it would be. So, if you have the time -- and you do -- find out whether thruhiking is really what you want to do, by getting out there.

ATN2N
12-24-2003, 11:55
Yup, wanted to do it for over 25 years. Now in short term planning, I want to go in 3, wife says 4 when last kid is out of college. Enjoy.

Jaybird
12-24-2003, 12:08
Talk about long range planning. I'm gearing up for 2019 :cool: Ill be 65 by then...

Doctari.

YO Doctari!

i'll be 65 in 2019 too! by that time...i'm hoping to have (maybe...if, my plans are still working...) section-hiked the A.T. & i'd like to do a SOBO hike then!

maybe we'll meet on the trail! woooooooooooo-hoooooooooooo! :p

Jaybird

mdjeeper
12-24-2003, 17:21
Planning on making it in 2006 (Jan 1st). Actually been in the planning stages since I was about 12 and did my first camping trip near the A.T. Have been doing tune-up hikes and camps for the past year, will be knocking out more of the Whites and the 100 mile wilderness this summer (after blackfly season!) and finish shaking out the gear (learning the new stuff, making sure the old stuff still holds up!). See everybody on the trail!

Robbie
09-05-2007, 20:15

Hello: I plan to (for the 1st time) do a thru hike in the spring of 2009. Although now 60 years old, I am in good shape. I am working on my aerobic base, (now at 75% x 6 days a week) and I will be losing 20 pounds prior to the Spring 09 trip. My wife support this idea, and I am looking for a normal, common-sense partner. I WILL be doing this hike thru and I read about this every day. Next summer, I will begin my hiking and overnight conditioning phase. I hope to begin in March of 2009 from the Georgia beginning site. I would enjoy beginning the possibility dialogue....Robbie

hurryinghoosier
09-05-2007, 22:04
Mar-Apr 2009 is my anticipated date. Buying gear, getting in shape and getting up the nerve to discuss with ms. hoosier ben.

Robbie
09-07-2007, 20:40
Ben: Let's keep in touch. Perhaps we can experience this as a team. If interested, we need to meet (maybe for dinner/lunch with wives) I live in Michigan and perhaps we can meet between Indianapolis and lower MI....

hurryinghoosier
09-07-2007, 22:18
Sounds good to me.

iamduesouth
09-18-2007, 22:09
Scout005, Am planning a trip in late March to mid April 09....am 52 male...lookin for someone to start with but would not expect to stay together....once I start I will have no timelines...but my goal is to finish.....Alb

walkin' wally
09-19-2007, 07:40
Talk about long range planning. I'm gearing up for 2019 :cool: Ill be 65 by then, kids will be gone, bills paid & retirement plan in effect.

Wish I could start as soon as you :p but till then, its a few miles a year till I get to the big K.

Have fun!

Doctari.

When I hit my early fifties time started to go by fast. Now it is going by really fast and it is like a passing freight train that I can't get a hold of.

I am going to try to thru hike in March 2010. That will probably get here in about 9 months :eek:

Capt.Scott
09-19-2007, 15:18
It is not a long way off and planning now is a good idea. I am looking forward to June 2009, SOBO. I have been reading for months...errr, a lifetime. Looking for the right equipment now. Make sure your ready, but always keep your eyes up and forward. This is my first post but I am just getting warmed-up. Hoo-ahh

Early Bird
12-30-2007, 21:33
i'm planning a thru hike in 09 as well,late march,early april.i'm 31 and live in MA also looking for someone to start off with.

Early Bird
12-30-2007, 21:35
hey scout,i'm 31 and also planning on a 09 thru hiker.also looking for someone to hike with.I live in western,MA and have been long anticipating this journey my entire life.

DapperD
01-15-2008, 01:40
Hello Scout,I am new to Whiteblaze. I also am planning hopefully for a '09 thru hike and would like to start out with others who are seriously attempting one. I originally planned for this year but have family commitments and obligations.