PDA

View Full Version : A.T. access pts. at rich mtn. fire tower

HikerMan36
12-27-2007, 12:35
I was wondering where the trail is in relation to the fire tower on Rich Mtn. I couldn't spot the blazes from the tower area and was wondering if the trail was farther down into the woodline than I went?.....Any info. would be appreciated.

wilconow
12-27-2007, 14:22
I was wondering where the trail is in relation to the fire tower on Rich Mtn. I couldn't spot the blazes from the tower area and was wondering if the trail was farther down into the woodline than I went?.....Any info. would be appreciated.

There's a spur trail that leads down to the AT. If I remember correctly, it's not blazed. It wasn't far at all, maybe a 1/4 mile?

We camped there the night before we got to Hot Springs (sobo)

Here's a photo from the firetower of a, well, fire.

HikerMan36
12-27-2007, 19:15
There's a spur trail that leads down to the AT. If I remember correctly, it's not blazed. It wasn't far at all, maybe a 1/4 mile?

We camped there the night before we got to Hot Springs (sobo)

Here's a photo from the firetower of a, well, fire.

Thanks alot, I thought that might be the case but wanted to ask to be sure.

Brushy Sage
12-27-2007, 20:49
There's a gravel road that comes up to the tower. Starting at the tower, cross that road, and follow the trail that goes down through a field, and it brings you shortly to the AT, at which point, to the left on AT is northbound, and to right on AT is southbound toward Hot Springs.

KG4FAM
12-27-2007, 22:05
Isnt there a sign or bench or something where the blue blaze comes out?

HikerMan36
12-28-2007, 10:51
Isnt there a sign or bench or something where the blue blaze comes out?

I saw where there used to be a sign but it was just 4 posts now, it was close to the concrete steps leading up to the tower. A trail leading down into the woods was beside the posts(sign) but no blazes of any color were visible.

Doctari
12-28-2007, 10:58
I was a bit fuzzy when I passed the sign, but I seem to remember it said the fire tower was 1/4 mile from the AT.

booney_1
12-28-2007, 23:39
On one side of the tower there is a building or shed--go to the otherside of the tower and there is a pretty short trail, I think it is more like 100 yards to the AT