PDA

View Full Version : Steak and eggs.

Ravendog
12-28-2007, 00:05
I just finished a 4-day trip at the Point Reyes National Seashore, and felt that I needed a treat for the first night. So I bought a big steak and a box of frozen spinach and put the two in a lightweight lunchbox cooler along with 6 eggs in a plastic container. I was too tired the first night to mess with the steak, and was scared that it wouldn't keep for the second. The spinach was still semi frozen, and the steak was perfect. Eggs for breakfast are just the way to go, and don't forget the Spam. I know I carried a little more weight, but that steak was worth it. The rest of the dinners I just dreamed about that steak. On short trips, I just don't see the point in going lightweight on food.

4eyedbuzzard
12-28-2007, 00:22
I carry frozen meat for up to 2 full days in the summer sandwiched between two pieces of styrofoam(about 3/4" thick). I've got one "cooler" I modified by carving out some old electronics packaging that fits two strip steaks or a couple of chops. I put that in a zip lock and then bury it inside my sleeping bag sack. Nice to have a grilled or pan fried steak or pork chop on the trail. The styrofoam only weighs a couple of ounces. The only downside is the yogi-ing looks from hikers who have been living on noodles for weeks when they smell them sirloins cooking.

CoyoteWhips
12-28-2007, 08:04
On short trips, I just don't see the point in going lightweight on food.

Would you on long trips? Why can't the first day or two out of town be fat?

rafe
12-28-2007, 10:19

Speaking for myself -- having had my fill of rich food in town, it seems extravagant to be hauling that heavy food up the mountain. But that's just me. I don't really do any serious cooking in the woods. But I'll do my best to catch a "town" meal every four or five days or whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Marta
12-28-2007, 10:29

Personally, I'd rather use the packweight for beer.:D

4eyedbuzzard
12-28-2007, 11:06
Personally, I'd rather use the packweight for beer.:D

Steak or beer. Sophie's choice. Sigh.

moondoggy
12-28-2007, 18:21
This past Thanksgiving we carried an entire dinner.....Cooked a Turkey Breast, made gravy and froze them together in a small cooler, yams, collard greens and dehydrated cheesecake....Left on Tuesday...Turkey was still slightly frozen on Thursday. Plunked it in a pot of boiling water, cooked the collards in the same water and baked the yams in the fire...A very proper Thanksgiving dinner...(We ate like two ravinous dogs)

Kerosene
12-29-2007, 16:45
Hey, if you're going to lug some weight for an afternoon, make it both steak and beer!

In the middle of my first section hike, we bought a nice steak and a can of corn in Culver's Gap, NJ, preparing a feast at the Gren Andersen Lean-to about 10 miles north. We were only 15 years old at the time, so we didn't have a taste for beer yet and made do with milk (which we had to drink on the way because it would have spoiled by dinnertime). Memorable dinner.

Jack Tarlin
12-29-2007, 16:53
I hauled twelve pounds of lasgna out of Miss Janet's once.......made for a pretty memorable dinner. Oh, we also had salad and garlic bread.

But more sensibly, when one is staying in town (i.e at a hostel or in a motel room with a fridge) I frequently buy a nice steak and freeze it. Then I wrap it well to prevent leaking/bleeding and stick it in my pack. By dinnertime, it's nicely thawed out and makes for a very pleasant dinner. You can also do this with pork, chicken breasts, pretty much anything. Add stuffing, potatoes, vegetables, you've got a helluva dinner. And don't forget the pie.

Man does not live on Liptons alone......

Ravendog
12-29-2007, 22:54
Beer! I hadn't thought about that, but that does sound good. I can see it now - I'm going to go ultralight so I can carry an extra 20 lbs of steak and beer. Although my preference would be red wine with the steak. I get more out of the overall experience of backpacking (cooking, coffee in the morning, stars at night, etc.) than how many miles I cover. To each his own.

CoyoteWhips
12-29-2007, 22:58
Heh! It'd be funny to see an external frame pack with ten pounds of essentials and fifty pounds of food.

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2007, 23:02
I get more out of the overall experience of backpacking (cooking, coffee in the morning, stars at night, etc.) than how many miles I cover. To each his own.

I agree. "Less miles, more smiles." Can't say I understand those who have no time for making camp a little early, making a campfire, taking the time to cook a pancake breakfast, etc. The way I see it the trail doesn't really go anywhere I need to be on any schedule. Enjoying the journey is the only requirement for me. But, HYOH.

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2007, 23:03
Heh! It'd be funny to see an external frame pack with ten pounds of essentials and fifty pounds of food.

Nothin' wrong with that in my book, 'specially if I'm invited for dinner.:)

rafe
12-30-2007, 00:54
I agree. "Less miles, more smiles." Can't say I understand those who have no time for making camp a little early, making a campfire, taking the time to cook a pancake breakfast, etc. The way I see it the trail doesn't really go anywhere I need to be on any schedule. Enjoying the journey is the only requirement for me. But, HYOH.

Well, if one is a slow walker, and has limited time to hike [eg., attempting to complete the trail with a series of short section hikes taken on vacation days over a number of years...] one learns to make adjustments. Many moons ago I observed a pair of thru-hikers making incredible miles... and one thing I noticed is that they never cooked breakfast at camp. They simply got up, broke camp, and started walking. I thought about the time and energy spent on the whole breakfast routine. And eventually I adopted their approach. I don't feel I've "lost" much. I love my morning coffee as much as most folks, but somehow, I can do without it on the trail.

I still take time for lots of breaks during the day, for food, or a smoke, to write in my journal, chat with hikers I meet, or whatever. But the stove and "kitchen" come out once per day, for the evening meal. Morning coffee may be optional, but evening tea is not.

Campfires? If the weather calls for it, and if there are other campers around, and there's a fire ring and wood to be found... well, sure! But usually if I'm alone (and particularly if I'm tenting away from an established campsite) I don't bother.

Ravendog
12-30-2007, 01:35
10 to 12 miles a day is good for me. If I wanted to do more, I'd take up jogging. Also, I go a lot with my son, and kids really are in it for the overall experience, not how many miles you can make. Through hikes are a whole different animal, and I don't think anyone on here was implying that through hikers are in it for the coffee. I'm sure that I wouldn't miss breakfast, but then again, that is part of the fun for me.