PDA

View Full Version : I miss the AT

Lion King
12-28-2007, 13:44
From time to time, no matter where I am, I miss the AT.

It, out of all trails I have been on and traveled across has hurt me more then any other. Physically speaking.

Its sorta like the first serious relationship. Beautiful, yet extemely painful and no matter how many more you have, something about it sticks with you the rest of your life.

Sure, you go back and have a fling every now and then with it, and you remember the good and the bad, the pain and the torture and the reasons they all combine to make something that tests you and pushes you, yet pleases you all at the same time.

While on the PCT, which I think is one hell of a fantastic trail and an entirely differtent world then the AT by a long shot, I still thought of some of the things about the AT I miss.

Trees for one. Water for another in the Southern stretches.

Its funny though. I log onto here and each time a group of photos reminds me of the things that make the AT special.

Those cold mornings in early Spring when your body aches and the sleeping bag feels so good as your oatmeal is cooking and the steam is rising off that cup of coffee you are nursing along with your procrastination.

The taste of Mountain water in the hottest part of summer.

The laughs, the people and the unbelievable amount of goodness you come across, even if you also run into the occasional jackass, they are minimal and outnumbered by the good ones.

Fall and the kinships and familiar faces you see every few days in towns or on shelters in the high cold mountains of the North East.

Good times.

I sit here now in Kearney NE for two days awaiting a pair of new winter boots to arrive, and I may be stuck another day as the Fed ex guy aint showed up yet, so I just looked over a few photos here and it got me to buring to hike on the AT, no matter how much my ankles roll and hurt and how much I curse the heat and bugs or how much I dispese the stupid lack of swithcbacks in a lot of areas.

I still miss it.

RITBlake
12-28-2007, 13:58
Lion King, I was going to start a thread about your hike the other day to tell you hang tough out there.

I watched your new videos and the frustration you were feeling w/ the poorly maintained trail and poor directions really jumps from the screen.

Now that it's cold and the days are shorter I can imagine the hike is even tougher.

I think everyone takes for granted how insanely well marked and maintained the AT is until you step foot on another trail. Once you hike out west or off the AT you have a new appreciation for it and nothing is more frustrating then getting lost not once but several times in a day.

So hang in there, you have a lot of supporters out there and we wish you the best.

rafe
12-28-2007, 14:04
Nice sentiments there, Lion King. I'm with you. I can never stay away for long. It's my oxygen.

Lion King
12-28-2007, 14:06
Lion King, I was going to start a thread about your hike the other day to tell you hang tough out there.

I watched your new videos and the frustration you were feeling w/ the poorly maintained trail and poor directions really jumps from the screen.

Now that it's cold and the days are shorter I can imagine the hike is even tougher.

I think everyone takes for granted how insanely well marked and maintained the AT is until you step foot on another trail. Once you hike out west or off the AT you have a new appreciation for it and nothing is more frustrating then getting lost not once but several times in a day.

So hang in there, you have a lot of supporters out there and we wish you the best.

Thanks!

I may post an addy as I am going to hang out with Foz 2003 when I hit Denver for a day or two (AProx 2-3 weeks, snowstorms depending) , so mail drops can be sent as I am really bad about letting people know where I am getting mail and I have had a few people want to send me cookies and stuff.

Im glad people are digging the clips, a new one---from Ohio--I think it will be The Gathering clip--should be up today...I think...have to ask my editor buddy who posts them.

Heater
12-28-2007, 14:11
Good times.

I sit here now in Kearney NE for two days awaiting a pair of new winter boots to arrive, and I may be stuck another day as the Fed ex guy aint showed up yet...

I think you may just be holding out for the New Years Eve party! ;)

Hmmmm....? :D

Lion King
12-28-2007, 14:15
I think you may just be holding out for the New Years Eve party! ;)

Hmmmm....? :D

No frikkin way!

Ive spent about $240 in the last three days (Food, hotels--there is no camping around this town) waiting on Boots that were supposed to be at the Post Office the day after Christmas.

This sucks, as I cant afford to spend this kind of money.

I need a benefactor with a heart of gold and a bank card of Platinum.:D

Blissful
12-28-2007, 21:21
I miss it too. I was just telling my hubby today that I was much healthier when I was on the AT. I had muscle issues with long distance hiking sure, but health wise I have been more sick since I got home. Colds, bronchitis, stomach flu, you name it. Makes me long for the health of the trail.

That's why I hope we can look forward to 2011, if all works out okay.

Kirby
12-28-2007, 21:29
I miss it too. I ws just telling my hubby today that I was much healthier when I was on the AT. I had muscle issues with long distance hiking sure, but health wise I have been more sick since I got home. Colds, bronchitis, stomach flu, you name it. Makes me long for the health of the trail.

That's why I hope we can look forward to 2011, if all works out okay.

*Thread take over in progress*

What's 2011?

*Thread take over complete*

Kirby

Blissful
12-28-2007, 21:36
What's 2011?

*Thread take over complete*

Kirby

My hubby wants to thru hike, so we are looking at going maybe in 2011. Takes a few years to get the business in shape to leave for 6 months. :)

Lone Wolf
12-28-2007, 21:41
From time to time, no matter where I am, I miss the AT.

It, out of all trails I have been on and traveled across has hurt me more then any other. Physically speaking.

Its sorta like the first serious relationship. Beautiful, yet extemely painful and no matter how many more you have, something about it sticks with you the rest of your life.

Sure, you go back and have a fling every now and then with it, and you remember the good and the bad, the pain and the torture and the reasons they all combine to make something that tests you and pushes you, yet pleases you all at the same time.

While on the PCT, which I think is one hell of a fantastic trail and an entirely differtent world then the AT by a long shot, I still thought of some of the things about the AT I miss.

Trees for one. Water for another in the Southern stretches.

Its funny though. I log onto here and each time a group of photos reminds me of the things that make the AT special.

Those cold mornings in early Spring when your body aches and the sleeping bag feels so good as your oatmeal is cooking and the steam is rising off that cup of coffee you are nursing along with your procrastination.

The taste of Mountain water in the hottest part of summer.

The laughs, the people and the unbelievable amount of goodness you come across, even if you also run into the occasional jackass, they are minimal and outnumbered by the good ones.

Fall and the kinships and familiar faces you see every few days in towns or on shelters in the high cold mountains of the North East.

Good times.

I sit here now in Kearney NE for two days awaiting a pair of new winter boots to arrive, and I may be stuck another day as the Fed ex guy aint showed up yet, so I just looked over a few photos here and it got me to buring to hike on the AT, no matter how much my ankles roll and hurt and how much I curse the heat and bugs or how much I dispese the stupid lack of swithcbacks in a lot of areas.

I still miss it.

then why are you doing a roadwalk in the winter?

Sly
12-28-2007, 22:40
After hiking out West, I still like the AT, but I rarely miss it. I much prefer the Rockies, Sierras and Cascades. Toss a little desert in there.... nice!

Footslogger
12-28-2007, 22:53
[quote=Lion King;484193]From time to time, no matter where I am, I miss the AT.

======================================

Not too long ago someone asked me why I would ever want to travel back to the AT when I live in Wyoming where there are so many great places to backpack.

I couldn't have said it any better brother !! Maybe it's because it was my first distance hike ...but I don't think so.

I plan to hike the PCT in 2009 but even before I undertake that trek I feel comfortable saying that I still hold the AT near and dear.

'Slogger

Lion King
12-28-2007, 23:19
then why are you doing a roadwalk in the winter?

Cuz, as you very well know, Im out my damn mind.:D

Lion King
12-28-2007, 23:21
[quote=Lion King;484193]From time to time, no matter where I am, I miss the AT.

======================================

Not too long ago someone asked me why I would ever want to travel back to the AT when I live in Wyoming where there are so many great places to backpack.

I couldn't have said it any better brother !! Maybe it's because it was my first distance hike ...but I don't think so.

I plan to hike the PCT in 2009 but even before I undertake that trek I feel comfortable saying that I still hold the AT near and dear.

'Slogger

ya know?

There are trails with way more beauty, way more views, way easier trails on the body, but the AT has an odd magic that is soul stirring in a different way.

Maybe its the age of the mountains...I dont know...

Smile
12-28-2007, 23:23
Eloquent, makes me think that the AT may miss you too! :)

Mags
12-28-2007, 23:29
As you get closer to Denver, give me a shout if you need anything...place to hole up for a bit, hot shower and any other of the usual hiker trash necessities. PM me and I can give you my work number and cell phone #.

OTher than Jan 22nd (full moon ski!), my calendar is wide open. Well, other than the damn work thing of course... :D)

Lion King
12-29-2007, 00:27
As you get closer to Denver, give me a shout if you need anything...place to hole up for a bit, hot shower and any other of the usual hiker trash necessities. PM me and I can give you my work number and cell phone #.

OTher than Jan 22nd (full moon ski!), my calendar is wide open. Well, other than the damn work thing of course... :D)

cool, thanks.

I will be heading over to Foz as well, so maybe we can have a AT hootananny...My Birthday is Jan 17th....that would be a good day to shoot for Denver.

link to Episode 10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3OmdULQqLY

got to go post this link in meida...

Red Hat
12-29-2007, 12:15
I miss it too! That's why I'm going back this year.... Possibly with the henhike in April, or maybe from Maine in July, but I'm going hiking!!!