PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite AT section?

Turtlehiker
12-28-2007, 16:52
Last fall I hiked the 100 mile wilderness from Monson to Abol Bridge, I missed out on Katahdin because of a sore knee. For the fall of 2008 I would like to find another 100 mile plus section of the AT that I could do in 8-9 days. What would be a great section to do, not just a good section. I am toying with the idea of starting in Monson and heading south, but I was wondering what your favorites are.
I travel light and averaged 15+ miles a day thru the 100 mile I would be doing this trip in 8-9days and would probably not need a resupply, although if one was easy and on the trail I would not complain.

rafe
12-28-2007, 17:01
Keep heading south from Monson. It's all good. Maine is as good as it gets.

Pedaling Fool
12-28-2007, 17:29
I agree, considering the time of year you're planning.

Just a Hiker
12-28-2007, 17:40
Monson to Rangeley might be the ticket. However, SNP is nice in the fall as well, plus you could travel really light through the park.

Kirby
12-28-2007, 17:45
Glencliff to Gorham is roughly 100 miles, the Whites are quite nice. You can pick any given 100 mile stretch in Maine and enjoy it. From what I have heard, the 100 mile wilderness is the "easiest" 100 miles in Maine, but take that with a grain of salt, Maine is tough all around.

Have fun!
Kirby

The Mechanical Man
12-28-2007, 17:52
It's from Smith Gap Road, to Delps, right here in Pa.
My personal adopted section, I maintain for the last 19 years. :sun

Any other maintainers that love their section too?

rafe
12-28-2007, 17:52
From what I have heard, the 100 mile wilderness is the "easiest" 100 miles in Maine, but take that with a grain of salt, Maine is tough all around.

You heard right. Southern Maine kicks butt. You'll have a couple of easy days leaving Monson SOBO... till you get to shore of Flagstaff Lake. And then... yeee haaaw! :D

Lone Wolf
12-28-2007, 17:56
It's from Smith Gap Road, to Delps, right here in Pa.
My personal adopted section, I maintain for the last 19 years. :sun

Any other maintainers that love their section too?

that ain't a pretty section

Summit
12-28-2007, 17:58
I haven't done Maine and do not doubt it is awesome. But speaking from a "Southern" point of view, I love the Nantahala section in late spring, before it gets too hot. I think many thru-hikers who are well beyond this section by the time the flora bursts out really miss out. The giant furns around Standing Indian, as well as the summit and mountain itself are awesome. Standing Indian, Albert Mtn, Weyah Bald, and Wesser Bald are some of the best views east of the Mississippi. ;)

Smile
Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar, early spring before it's too hot is one of my favorites, as well as along the river in CT. :)

The Mechanical Man
Who cares if it's pretty in your opinion, this is my turn.

Are you pretty? And what section do you maintain???
Hikers want to know??

Lone Wolf
12-28-2007, 18:04
Are you pretty? And what section do you maintain???
Hikers want to know??

no. i'm handsome. are you funny? you know. funny. i maintain north and south of damascus

The Mechanical Man
12-28-2007, 18:08
i maintain north and south of damascus

Thats a BIG section,................It goes all the way to Georgia if you go south, and all the way to Maine if you go North!

You really are amazing!!

Lone Wolf
12-28-2007, 18:09
correct. now put a sock in it 'ol boy.

The Mechanical Man
12-28-2007, 18:10
Is the truce over?

Kirby
12-28-2007, 19:17
Anyways, Massachusetts has some nice hiking as well, not sure how many miles are in the state, but I have enjoyed all my hikes there. Greylock is quite nice, and there will be no tourists until 2009 because the road will be closed, which means you will share the summit with the crew working on the top, and other people who hiked up the mountain.(As opposed to people who drive up in their SUV's and are tired after the climb from their car to the summit tower).

Kirby

superman
12-28-2007, 19:21
I like from the MA line to Glenclif.

rafe
12-28-2007, 19:26
Anyways, Massachusetts has some nice hiking as well, not sure how many miles are in the state, but I have enjoyed all my hikes there.

It's my "home state" but IMO, the AT in MA is b o r i n g. Except maybe for Greylock. Dead flat from Rte 20 to Cheshire. Blah. Heck, the MA Mid-State trail was more interesting, now that I think of it.

Bearpaw
12-28-2007, 19:49
Mt Roger's NRA and Grayson Highlands make for some very scenic hiking with wild pony herds. You could hike through and finish in Damascus. Park in Damascus, get shuttled to Mt. Roger's HQ, and hike south.

Central VA is quite nice as well. Pearisburg to Troutville/Daleville offers relatively mellow hiking with great views at Mcaffee Knob and other points between.

You might also want to consider Erwin, Tennessee (mile 350) to Damascus, Virginia (mile 462). Just a bit over 100 miles. Roan Highlands is one of the absolutely most beautiful sections on the entire trail. You would get a nice resupply option at Dennis Cove (mile 410). And reasonably easy shuttles from one end to the other with safe places to park and your vehicle waiting at the end.

Or you could go with central Maine, which IMO really is THE most beautiful part of the trail. The Bigelows are just incredible for views and relatively easy hiking. (Although this may be so in my memory because the Mahoosucs of southern Maine were so brutally difficult....)

But you have TONS of great options ahead, no matter which route you choose. Enjoy them!

Cabin Fever
12-28-2007, 19:56
I don't have the hiking experience of everyone else here, but is tough to top the balds and meadows between GSMNP and Damascus.

Blissful
12-28-2007, 21:17
We actually enjoyed Vermont, more than we thought we would.

The balds of NC are beautiful as well.

emerald
12-28-2007, 22:18
We actually enjoyed Vermont, more than we thought we would.

Were there specific places you enjoyed or do you refer to the experience overall? I remember reading you were treated quite well there by at least some of its residents.

warraghiyagey
12-28-2007, 22:47
Head south out of Monson. It'll give you a familiar continuity and it's a beautiful section with a couple of decent 'above the tree-line' experiences. If you choose this section Shaws is a great place to start from in Monson and if you stop at Rangeley, Bob from Gull Pond Lodge is so very good to hikers.
Enjoy:sun

Turtlehiker
12-29-2007, 01:16
I started in Monson last fall and parked my car at Shaws. Didn't stay there, decided to get some trail miles in, they gave me a lift to the trail.
Part of me wants to keep working my way south from Monson in 100+ mile sections, it will only take me 20 years to hike the trail this way...

Tinker
12-29-2007, 02:10
Anywhere in Maine. I've done from Monson south to the Conn./NY. state line. Also have done Georgia and parts of Shenandoah.

Yes, Maine is my favorite. Pierce Pond is my favorite swimming hole.

warraghiyagey
12-29-2007, 11:42
Anywhere in Maine. I've done from Monson south to the Conn./NY. state line. Also have done Georgia and parts of Shenandoah.

Yes, Maine is my favorite. Pierce Pond is my favorite swimming hole.
I think Woodsy lives at Pierce Pond. :p That's where I met him anyway.:rolleyes: :)

woodsy
12-29-2007, 13:03
I think Woodsy lives at Pierce Pond. :p That's where I met him anyway.:rolleyes: :)
Not quite, but close enough that sometimes i sleepwalk at night through the shelter area with my flyrod:-?Don't shoot me, i'm harmless.
That said, Maine's high peaks region ROCKS. Saddleback > Bigelows incorporated into your 100 miles will give you great memories and pics, if you survive it.

ki0eh
12-31-2007, 09:20
I don't maintain 100 miles but just shy of 3, Yellow Spring hollow to Cold Spring trail in "St. Anthony's Wilderness," Pennsylvania. It's just more green tunnel to the thru hiker, but amid subtle but interesting ruins for those with the time and inclination to step away from the white blazes.

Nearly Normal
12-31-2007, 09:48
Roan Mt to 19E is my favorite so far. A bit more than 10.

earlyriser26
12-31-2007, 10:01
Any place in Maine, but Moson to Rangeley or Rangeley to Gorham are both great hikes. I consider the Gorham to Rangeley both the toughest and best 100 miles on the trail. Also, Elk Park 19E to Hot Springs is my second pick for a great section.:sun

DavidNH
12-31-2007, 10:46
For scenery and "wilderness experience" (to the extent one can have a wilderness experience on the AT) Maine winds hands down. The 100 mile wilderness is truly spectacular. Too bad so many hikers try to race through it. The Mahoosics are also real nice.. ditto for Rangely to Stratton and the Bigelows.

As runners up.. the White Mountains are spectacular. as are the Tennessee Blads.

I was unimpressed by the mid atlantic states and by Mass.

Also..the Smokey Mountains are a highlight..particularly the view from Clingmans Dome.

But nothin compares to Maine except for the eastern portions of the whites.

DavidNH (Snickers)

bigmac_in
12-31-2007, 10:48
I haven't done Maine and do not doubt it is awesome. But speaking from a "Southern" point of view, I love the Nantahala section in late spring, before it gets too hot. I think many thru-hikers who are well beyond this section by the time the flora bursts out really miss out. The giant furns around Standing Indian, as well as the summit and mountain itself are awesome. Standing Indian, Albert Mtn, Weyah Bald, and Wesser Bald are some of the best views east of the Mississippi. ;)

I'm planning to hike this area next year. What is "prime time" for this area - you say late spring, are we talking mid-may?

Terry7
12-31-2007, 14:39
In the southern half of the AT, it would be the Grayson Highlands.

dessertrat
12-31-2007, 14:42
that ain't a pretty section

And that ain't nice. Besides, pretty is in the eye of the behind, or something like that.

Lone Wolf
12-31-2007, 17:45
And that ain't nice. Besides, pretty is in the eye of the behind, or something like that.

it ain't a nice section is right

burger
12-31-2007, 19:30
Glencliff to Gorham is 101 miles. And it's about the 101 most spectacular miles you could imagine east of the Rockies--the long stretch above treeline in the Presidentials is better than anything in Maine, and there are a million other amazing spots through the Whites. 10 days to do that section would be no problem if you're in shape, and you can get food at all the huts, which will lighten your load.

Maine is nice, but New Hampshire is better.

rafe
12-31-2007, 19:44
Maine is nice, but New Hampshire is better.

Them's fightin' words! I suppose I might agree if one could make the AMC and the day hikers disappear. I presume you've hiked the AT in Maine?

Hikerhead
12-31-2007, 19:54
Them's fightin' words! I suppose I might agree if one could make the AMC and the day hikers disappear. I presume you've hiked the AT in Maine?

If we got rid of the day hikers, I guess that means we all have to go play somewhere else. All thru-hikers and multi-day hikers started off as day hikers. Well, I guess it will be somebody that woke up at 18 who never walked out of the yard and decided to go buy their hiking gear and do a thru hike and then return to the yard. :) :) :)

Kirby
12-31-2007, 19:57

Up to the Kennebec river crossing according to the line under his screen name.

Kirby

rafe
12-31-2007, 19:59
If we got rid of the day hikers, I guess that means we all have to go play somewhere else. All thru-hikers and multi-day hikers started off as day hikers. Well, I guess it will be somebody that woke up at 18 who never walked out of the yard and decided to go buy their hiking gear and do a thru hike and then return to the yard. :) :) :)

I wasn't seriously suggesting that. Just saying... the thing that makes Maine different (and IMO, better) than NH are... the lack of crowds and the AMC. That's all. (And yes, I'm aware that AMC manages Speck Pond campsite.)

Kirby
12-31-2007, 20:03
I wasn't seriously suggesting that. Just saying... the thing that makes Maine different (and IMO, better) than NH are... the lack of crowds and the AMC. That's all. (And yes, I'm aware that AMC manages Speck Pond campsite.)

What's upsetting is that the most interesting mile of the Maine AT, Mahousec(sp) notch, is not even maintained by the MATC! I think the MATC should annex that one mile stretch. We can station A couple members of the Maine National Guard at each end to ensure the AMC does not try to reclaim it.

For what its worth, the AMC maintains the Maine AT up to Grafton Notch(route 26), from route 36 northward the trail is maintained by the MATC.

Kirby

Turtlehiker
01-01-2008, 14:32
Thanks for all of the input. I only get one 9-10 day trip a year so I have to choose carefully. I have decided to do half of the Long Trail. This way I can actually finish a trail in 2 years. I am gonna start north bound in around the 19th of September and try to get halfway or a little farther.

rafe
01-01-2008, 14:47
Thanks for all of the input. I only get one 9-10 day trip a year so I have to choose carefully. I have decided to do half of the Long Trail. This way I can actually finish a trail in 2 years. I am gonna start north bound in around the 19th of September and try to get halfway or a little farther.

In which case you just gotta get yourself a copy of Jan Liteshoe's book, The Ordinary Adventurer. Not to be missed.

NorthCountryWoods
01-02-2008, 08:25

I would have suggested it, but I'm biased. Either that or anywhere between MA/VT state line and Baxter.

The LT section north of Smugglers notch is super quiet. Every time I've been on an extended trip up here, run into few people and had campsites to myself. Very nice, if you like that. Ran into one guy going southbound that didn't. He was in Johnson that hadn't seen one hiker since he started.

Wife and I are planning to start in Williamstown and do an end to end on 9/29/2008.

Good luck!

horicon
01-02-2008, 12:35
Before my knee injure; the presidetials in New hamshire.

Pedaling Fool
01-02-2008, 12:52
Such a hard question...still working on....

Blissful
01-02-2008, 13:21
Were there specific places you enjoyed or do you refer to the experience overall? I remember reading you were treated quite well there by at least some of its residents.

Hi SOG. I liked the Vermont woods, the mtn views were superb from the summits and firetowers (also my hubby likes to ski Vermont so it was neat crossing mtns where he used to ski like Pico) and yes, the Vermont residents were friendly to hikers. And the terrain is not that difficult, albeit a tad muddy.

Blissful
01-02-2008, 13:25
Before my knee injure; the presidetials in New hamshire.

You know, I loved the WHites too. (my knees suffered coming off Madison. And the Carter Moriah range was tough) But after doing the whole trail, I found there are so many other great places. But I did enjoy the Crawford Path. Excellent views.

(:welcome Wave to a New Yorker - my folks live in Shokan. I went to Onteora HS)

Leslie S
01-21-2008, 15:46
Hi - I am a new member, planning a group trip (6? 8?) in Maine from East B Hill Rd. north t o Rt. 27 over 8 days - shelter to shelter. In 2006, the same group did Monson to Katahdin, last year we did Rt. 27 to Monson. Since we're section hikers, we don't have the benefit of 2000 miles of trail behind us and our second day, from Hall Mountain Lean to to Bemis Mountain Lean to looks brutal by our standards. 12.8 miles - normally no problem, but in this area I'm sure it will be a challenge. The maps show no aparent areas where we could camp if we come up short. Does anyone know this area well enough to offer advice? I've just ordered the latest data book and through hikers guide, so maybe they will help!

Leslie S.

warraghiyagey
01-21-2008, 16:32
Hi - I am a new member, planning a group trip (6? 8?) in Maine from East B Hill Rd. north t o Rt. 27 over 8 days - shelter to shelter. In 2006, the same group did Monson to Katahdin, last year we did Rt. 27 to Monson. Since we're section hikers, we don't have the benefit of 2000 miles of trail behind us and our second day, from Hall Mountain Lean to to Bemis Mountain Lean to looks brutal by our standards. 12.8 miles - normally no problem, but in this area I'm sure it will be a challenge. The maps show no aparent areas where we could camp if we come up short. Does anyone know this area well enough to offer advice? I've just ordered the latest data book and through hikers guide, so maybe they will help!

Leslie S.
That's one of the areas of the trail that is very easy to find spots to camp all along the way not dependent on finding a shelter.

Kirby
01-21-2008, 17:18
As long as you are below tree line in Maine, there is always somewhere to camp.

Kirby

Painted Turtle
01-22-2008, 18:05
Any part of Maine is as good as it gets, but if one must chose start at the Bigelows (RT 27) and go North.

HIKER7s
01-23-2008, 08:12

Ditto Ditto Ditto
I wish I lived closer
Id be there all the time