PDA

View Full Version : Trail maintaining down south

Kirby
12-28-2007, 21:14
I have determined that I would like to take a half day to a full day off down south to do some trail maintenance, an area that is extremely impacted by thru hikers. If anyone has any information on who to contact about maintaining trips as I get closer to my departure date(March 1st) to find out about a work trip I could attend.

Thanks,
Kirby

Cuffs
12-28-2007, 21:16
Not sure you'll find too many that time of year...still a tad too cool.

hopefulhiker
12-28-2007, 21:18
Hard Core Trail Maintenance right after trail days is a good option...

Lone Wolf
12-28-2007, 21:29
Hard Core Trail Maintenance right after trail days is a good option...

not really. way too many people

mountain squid
12-28-2007, 21:41
Get to Kincora Hostel in Hampton, TN on a Monday. We usually have maintenance outings on Tuesdays and Bob will bring any hikers who want to help.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

SGT Rock
12-29-2007, 11:13
Yes, when you get to Hampton TN just stay at Bob's place and tell him you want to do trail maintenance. You will get your chance and work with one of the best.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-29-2007, 12:06
While not the most impacted area, Hampton TN is certainly a good choice. Have to agree with Wolf about Hardcore - more of Billville event than a maintenance outing. There are better opportunities for service.

Lugnut
12-29-2007, 12:15
While not the most impacted area, Hampton TN is certainly a good choice. Have to agree with Wolf about Hardcore - more of Billville event than a maintenance outing. There are better opportunities for service.

Why do you say that Hardcore is a Billville event? I've participated for five years and I sure don't see where you get that. It is mostly thru's and former hikers coming back to help out. There are a few Billvillians present but they have to stay under the porch. :p

SGT Rock
12-29-2007, 12:20
Hardcore is like Billville?

I don't know about that. I've worked a couple of hardcores and I don't think it is like Bilville at all. Bob doesn't allow alchohol for one thing. There is also no bonfires or tent city. People get up early in the morning and work at Hardcore - not sleep off hangovers.

Hardcore basically starts at a post office with a ride link up then drive straight to a work site and work until dinner - then a group meal which is laid back. After dinner everyone takes care of their own lodging - some stay at Bremmer, some at Kincora, some at Laurel Falls, and others where ever else they go. Then the next morning an early A.M. and drive back out to finish the job. About 100 folks building many yards of trail at the same time or working on side projects like bridges and such. At the end of the second day there is a big meal put on by a couple of regulars like Chef Paul and Jack Tarlin - but again no drinking or drum circles. At the end of the dinner people go their own ways - some wait around until the following morning and head back to the trail.

While I find Trail Days to be a bit of a party and not that much fun, Hardcore is a good work experience and much more laid back when it comes to visiting with people.

Kirby
12-29-2007, 12:23
I do not have any intentions of attending Trail Days, it does not really appeal to me, and if everything goes to plan I will be near Harper's Ferry by that point. I imagine once I hit the summer months here in the north I will be easily able to do trail work as well.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
12-29-2007, 12:27
I do not have any intentions of attending Trail Days, it does not really appeal to me, and if everything goes to plan I will be near Harper's Ferry by that point. I imagine once I hit the summer months here in the north I will be easily able to do trail work as well.

Kirby

The Gathering is 10 times better than Trails Days

Kirby
12-29-2007, 12:31

I am going to try and go to that next year I think. I might try to get down to the PA-Ruck at the end of January, if I can make the finances work. Trail Days, from what I have read other people say on the site, has shifted from a hiker gathering, focused on hiking, to a complete 3 day party, but maybe I am being mislead.

Kirby

max patch
12-29-2007, 12:33
Kirby, I thought you were going as part of a paid group with a set schedule. Did that change?

The GATC has their schedule of maintenance trips posted, but they don't mesh with your start date. Perhaps the other clubs have schedules posted as well.

Keep in mind that at some point you will run into someone doing maintenance work on their section. Never known one to turn down unexpected help.

The suggestion to hit Kincora on a Monday is a good one.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2007, 12:33
I am going to try and go to that next year I think. I might try to get down to the PA-Ruck at the end of January, if I can make the finances work. Trail Days, from what I have read other people say on the site, has shifted from a hiker gathering, focused on hiking, to a complete 3 day party, but maybe I am being mislead.

Kirby

Trail Days has very little to do with trails and hiking. big ass party is all

Just a Hiker
12-29-2007, 12:40
As the weather gets warmer, you'll see trail maintainers on the trail nearly every weekend. All you have to do is drop your pack and go to work.

Just Jim

Kirby
12-29-2007, 12:40
Kirby, I thought you were going as part of a paid group with a set schedule. Did that change?

The GATC has their schedule of maintenance trips posted, but they don't mesh with your start date. Perhaps the other clubs have schedules posted as well.

Keep in mind that at some point you will run into someone doing maintenance work on their section. Never known one to turn down unexpected help.

The suggestion to hit Kincora on a Monday is a good one.

Yes I am going with a group. but I am going to operate independently for planning purposes. Set schedule on day 1? I guess, but Rock has suggested that itineraries would make good fuel for a fire on night one. I need to operate independently because I am not stopping my hike because the group falls after a few weeks.

I will try to hit Kincora on a Monday if possible. I will contact the southern trail clubs over the next couple of weeks. FD recommended I contact Dances With Mice, which I will do sometime soon.

The party scene does not appeal to me, I don't drink or do drugs, so there goes that. (Not suggesting that everyone at Trail Days drinks).

Kirby

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-29-2007, 12:45
Dino stands corrected regarding association between Billville and Hardcore. I know a lot of hard work gets completed there but I was told you had to be a Billvillian to get to go? Under the porch, eh?

Agree that Trail Days is just a big party these days. Likely won't bother with it this year - I wish we could put together a Ruck within easy driving distance of Damacus for the hikers that weekend. I'd like to go in to see the vendors, but I could certainly live without the tent city, drum circle and Billville.

Kirby
12-29-2007, 12:54
Thr drum circle is another reason I do not want to attend, I am not fond of any type of drum circles. I can not begin to imagine what a hiker drum circle is like.

Kirby

Jester2000
12-29-2007, 13:00
Have to agree with Wolf about Hardcore - more of Billville event than a maintenance outing. There are better opportunities for service.

Billville has nothing to do with Hardcore. Perhaps your confusion comes from the fact that so many Billvillians volunteer to do trail work?

Except for the fire, which totally sucks ass, what with the storytelling and all.

Agree that Trail Days is just a big party these days. Likely won't bother with it this year - I wish we could put together a Ruck within easy driving distance of Damacus for the hikers that weekend. I'd like to go in to see the vendors, but I could certainly live without the tent city, drum circle and Billville.

Yeah, remember the good old days? When no one drank in Damascus, and Trail Days was a three day long work trip?

What's with all of the hate for Billville? It's usually one of the quietest places in the campground.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2007, 13:21
Except for the fire, which totally sucks ass, what with the storytelling and all.

The Gathering 08 will have a separate fire for those wanting to socialize. The singing weenies can go to billville's fire

Lone Wolf
12-29-2007, 13:22
Thr drum circle is another reason I do not want to attend, I am not fond of any type of drum circles. I can not begin to imagine what a hiker drum circle is like.

Kirby

just a bunch of trustafarians from northwest connecticut acting like africans

Tennessee Viking
12-29-2007, 14:00
Usually maintenance outings are not big events, but very easy to find. Each maintaining club has their own routine and outing schedule. Being part of the Eastman Club maintenance group in Tennessee, we usually go out on Tuesday mornings, then have large group outings for relocations on random weekends.

You can come down to Kincora Hardcore during Damascus Trail Days.

But if you really want to do some big time maintaining in the south, look into joining Konnarock Trail Crew. You can volunteer a week to whole summer doing high level maintaining from Virginina to Georgia. Each week, Konnarock crews will meet up in Sugar Grove, VA for some orientation classes, then travel to a new section of trail each week to help the clubs.

ATC Trail Crew maintenance is not your everyday maintaining. Trail Crews tend to camp on trail in more remote sections. And will teach more high level maintaining skills.

Tennessee Viking
12-29-2007, 14:05
Kirby
Just check with Kincora for coming out on one of maintenance outings. We usually do small projects and relocaitons during the winter and early spring. We are saving our big projects for Hardcore and Konnarock.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-29-2007, 14:11
The Gathering 08 will have a separate fire for those wanting to socialize. The singing weenies can go to billville's fire:dance..........:clap..........:clap.......... :dance
Dinos should be there next year. Our absence this year was unavoidable.

rafe
12-29-2007, 14:21

This is a bit like avoiding Italy because some folks eat anchovy paste. Trail Days was already a zoo eighteen years ago, at least. IMO, seems odd to start a thru-hike with a preset list of people you're "not fond of."

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-29-2007, 14:35
TD was about the hikers at one time, but it has increasingly become a town - regional event and has begun to attract a large number of people who simply want to party like wild animals - and some of those have no interest in hiking.

SGT Rock
12-29-2007, 15:19
The thing about Trail Days Kirby is it is like a food bar. If you don't like steak you can eat fish. If you don't like drum circles you can stay away from that - I've missed it every year I go there.

That said, there are some things that are good about trail days that most of the party people miss. You can go to some of the presentations which are informative - just pick the ones that you are actually interested in seeing. Things like Model T and his story telling or Chef Paul talking about going ultralight without being survival light. You can go see the makers of gear (not just some rep) in some cases and get a chance to hold onto something or try it out with the expert there showing you the best way to go about it. You can make the usless gear show, see live bands, hang out with friends at the Itallian resturaunt, walk down to Dots for a social drink (not a drunk), eat a big pancake breakfast at the fire station, do some day hikes in the area, walk in the hiker parade, etc.

If you hang out with people that do drum circles and get drunk, chances are that will be your impression of trail days. If you get out and do other things, then that will be your impression. If you do go, just stay outside of town (not in the big campground) spend the days walking around town seeing the things that interest you and spend the nights out on the AT somewhere away from the things that don't.

Kirby
12-29-2007, 16:20
This is a bit like avoiding Italy because some folks eat anchovy paste. Trail Days was already a zoo eighteen years ago, at least. IMO, seems odd to start a thru-hike with a preset list of people you're "not fond of."

It's not that I am not fond of the people, I am not fond of drum circles. I imagine there are some really nice and interesting people who participate in those circles.

Best comparison I could think of:
My local EMS. There are some really nice people who work there, and who I get along with quite well. I am just not fond of the store itself, or they gear they provide, nothing against the people.

Again, I will be 400-500 miles north of Damascus at that point. If I really want to go, I could see if anyone from the ATC headquarters is heading down for 1-2 days, but it is not at the top of my priority list at this point.

All good points Rock,
Kirby

A-Train
12-29-2007, 16:28
It's not that I am not fond of the people, I am not fond of drum circles. I imagine there are some really nice and interesting people who participate in those circles.

Best comparison I could think of:
My local EMS. There are some really nice people who work there, and who I get along with quite well. I am just not fond of the store itself, or they gear they provide, nothing against the people.

Again, I will be 400-500 miles north of Damascus at that point. If I really want to go, I could see if anyone from the ATC headquarters is heading down for 1-2 days, but it is not at the top of my priority list at this point.

All good points Rock,
Kirby

You've got the right mindframe. I started march 1 and was at the half way point (Pine Grove) by traildays. Way too far to go back. Personally I never regretted not going the year I hiked. I was really engrossed in the personal journey and didn't think the distraction/sidetrip would really enhance my trip much. Then again, I returned the next yr as a non-hiker and had a blast seeing most of my thru-hiker buddies.

If you're not a big drinker/partier, TD's is probably not the place for you. Some may argue differently, but if you're not a social person, focused on your thru, I'd keep trucking to Maine.

Many thru's use traildays as an excuse to not hike for many days. People are burned out and looking for a distraction.

Jack Tarlin
12-29-2007, 16:38
Well, this has been pretty well covered by other people, but a few quick comments:

*Kirby, you should definitely talk to Bob when you get to Kincora and see
what he's got planned for maintenance work; there's always something
going on in that neck of the woods.

*Have to disagree with Wolf's criticism of the Hardcore projects. Yeah, there
are a lot of people involved......and that's why so much gets acccomplished
every year. Eighty folks can fix more Trail than eight.

*No, Hardcore is not a Billville event, tho many people in our group take part
each year. I think I'm one of the few people who've been involved with all
of the Hardcore projects; in recent years, many other Billville people have
gotten involved as well, as Bob is a great friend of ours and a joy to to work
with.

*I'm sorry to see comments about my group of friends made by people
speaking in ignorance about us. I see criticism of Hardcore by people who
have never been associated with any of the work done over the years by
Bob and the Hardcore crew; I see criticism of Billville at Trail Days by people
who I don't recall ever visiting or spending time with us at Trail Days.
Well folks, if you can "live without" us, that's just fine, as this happily
works both ways, but the ignorant and hurtful comments made by people
who really don't know us are really a sad thing to see. It's a funny thing,
but there's a reason not too many people know about the Trail work and
volunteer work we like to do.......and that's mainly because we don't publi-
cize it, or make a big deal out of it. When we do this sort of thing, we do
it because we enjoy doing it, and not to score any points with anyone.
But off the top of my head, I can think of close to two dozen trail work
projects in recent years where Billville people were involved. When the
people who criticize us have compiled a similar record of service, then they
can complain about us. Till then..........silence is golden.

StarLyte
12-29-2007, 17:12
Very well stated Jack.

When I think of Billville, I think of trail volunteering, Jack's cooking, Jester's attire, Tricks' trail magic stories and when he hiked with Earl.

and Jester....don't hold back....tell us how you really feel.

StarLyte
12-29-2007, 17:15
Click here (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.715469/) for a great time. :sun

Love to all.

SGT Rock
12-29-2007, 17:20
Billville is more like one of those secret societies involved with Mardi Gras - you don't know much about them other than they seem to like to have a good time.

I agree about going backwards to get to Trail Days with you Kirby. I haven't ruled out going next year but I also haven't ruled it out. I am going to see where I am and what I am doing. Being 450-500 miles away really is not that big a deal in the scheme of the trail. Folks from all distances and directions head that way and it is not hard to get a lift to it or get back to where you were if you look around and talk to folks. I've shuttled some people to both Trail Days and Hardcore in the past and I know I am not the only one. You may find you are at Harpers Ferry with a bunch of your trail friends and someone has a few free seats...

Jack Tarlin
12-29-2007, 17:35
If Kirby or Rock (or anyone else, for that matter) find themselves hundreds of miles North of Damascus in mid-May and are interested in getting a ride to Trail Days and back again, they should write me, as I know of quite a few folks in PA, MD, and Northern Virginia who plan to attend.

SGT Rock
12-29-2007, 17:42
If Kirby or Rock (or anyone else, for that matter) find themselves hundreds of miles North of Damascus in mid-May and are interested in getting a ride to Trail Days and back again, they should write me, as I know of quite a few folks in PA, MD, and Northern Virginia who plan to attend.
I hope to be up around CT by that point. I am probably going to try and get back - I'll make sure to keep up with the board on a regular basis and post the need for a ride if the mood strikes me. I think it would be a good time to get back to the south and see some friends and maybe even the family if they can come up.

Kirby
12-29-2007, 17:44
Jack, I will keep in touch with you as my hike progresses forward. I have not decided if I would like to go, I will most likely decide on trail. If I decide to go, I will try to give a couple weeks heads up.

Thanks for the offer,
Kirby

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-29-2007, 17:49
I think it would be a good time to get back to the south and see some friends and maybe even the family if they can come up.If Dixi needs help getting there, I would come and bring her.

SGT Rock
12-29-2007, 17:53
I'm sure she will stay in touch with you FD.

Tennessee Viking
12-29-2007, 23:52
Check with Bob Peoples when you reach Kincora to see where Eastman Club will be shuttling. We will be shuttling mostly local area. But there will be a few hikers picking up vehicles and head back to Damascus. So there is chance picking up a ride along the way. And you can always stop by a hostel to see who is going.

Last year, we had a one or two shuttles go up to Harrisburg, if you are really north.

Kirby
12-30-2007, 00:11
Check with Bob Peoples when you reach Kincora to see where Eastman Club will be shuttling. We will be shuttling mostly local area. But there will be a few hikers picking up vehicles and head back to Damascus. So there is chance picking up a ride along the way. And you can always stop by a hostel to see who is going.

Last year, we had a one or two shuttles go up to Harrisburg, if you are really north.

I expect to be within stone's throw of Harpers.

Kirby

Tennessee Viking
12-30-2007, 00:37
There will probably be a crowd at the ATC then.

Digger'02
01-02-2008, 11:24
About trail maintenance, there are a number of oppurtunities, Bob at Kincora (and the MT. Squid) are some organized dudes and will get you working. There is also a great need in the Smokies for maintainers who can also backpack, and there are three all-volunteer trail crews that opperate in the southern region; Konnarock, Rocky Top and the SWEAT Crew. These are 5-6 and 7 day long volunteer sessions however. If you are interested in the Smokies, there is a constant need for people to haul mulch, and cut overgrowth, however it might take an overnight in some spots.

Also it looks like there will be a trail maintenance workshop at Waren Wilson soon if you are interested in the necessary techniques in designing, building and maintaining trails. Surprisingly there is alot more to the task than wacking the dirt with a pulaski (but that does help relieve tension).

whitefoot_hp
01-02-2008, 19:59
The GA ATC does maitainence every month, and is working on a relocation (fairly serious work, basically blazing a new trail). they would love to have you. i think the third saturday of every month.

Kirby
01-02-2008, 20:12
The GA ATC does maitainence every month, and is working on a relocation (fairly serious work, basically blazing a new trail). they would love to have you. i think the third saturday of every month.

Hmm..The third saturday of March I will be pushing through the smokies, if I am not already done.

I will contact the GATC tomorrow after school,
Kirby