PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Double Rainbow Question

scout005
12-28-2007, 22:09
I'm pretty much sold on the Double Rainbow tent. Only one concern: The floor can't be drawn up to completely close off the mesh around the perimeter of the tent.
i'll be using the tent in cold weather and I anticipate getting cold air streaming in through the mesh especially at my head. don't think I can live with that.
Anyone with experience in the DB correct me?
Thanks.

bigcranky
12-28-2007, 23:37
You are correct. That's one defining feature of a tarp-tent. It's basically a tarp with a floor and bug netting. Like using a tarp, site selection is key (minimize wind and water coming through the bottom of the tarp).

That said, I use a tarptent or just a tarp in winter hiking, and so far I've lived to tell the tale. But if you "can't live with it" then you need a tent-tent, not a tarp-tent.

scout005
12-29-2007, 00:04
tarps in winter?-madness.

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2007, 00:40
I use a tarp and an OR bug bivy in the summer, but from early fall on I use an old 3+ season Moss tent (5.5 lbs but the sucker is bulletproof). I've read of guys who can rig tarps to hold up in winter storms, but I don't have that kind of confidence in them, or my ability. No way any tarp can compete with a real tent in the wind and/or snow.

Pacific Tortuga
12-29-2007, 00:52
The Rainbow 2 rocks in three seasons, can't tell you about winter use. A beanie is a piece of gear that always makes its way into my ULA pack all year round. So for me, if it gets too cold in the tarp-tent I throw on my knit hat.
I love my Rainbow 2, was not sure at first, (double wall devote) but after 3 month's on the Trail, I will not use anything else, I'm not built for hammocks :cool: .
Heard one guy gave his R-2 away at the start of his hike, didn't stripe the floor with silicon paste and slid all over the mountain.

Franco
12-29-2007, 01:43
To minimize the wind flow is relatively easy with the Rainbows.
My preferred option is simply to put my pack behind my head to deflect the wind. This will work even if you are 6' tall. (IE the tent is long enough for that)
Next, you may find some rocks or branches around to use as a wind barrier.
Another way is to "drop " the Rainbow lower to the ground.
The last two suggestions are not exactly Leave No Trace, but with a bit of care you should be able to tidy up the next day.
Of course you can also use any combination of the above suggestions....
The first pic is how the Rainbow should look like
The second is after I dug a hole in the ground and shoved the pole inside,
Another 2" and it would have been fully down to earth.
The third is to show the idea utilizing a dip in my lawn

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/Rainbow-std.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/Rainbow-low.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/Low.jpg

bigcranky
12-29-2007, 14:22

Depends on where you are, I suppose. I've been tarp camping in winter for several years now, in NC, GA, TN, and VA. Down into the teens or a little lower. No big deal -- certainly no different than staying in a shelter (i.e., they are both open on one side, and it can get cold.) A tarp can provide far more covered area than a tent, with plenty of room for cooking, for gear storage, etc. And it's a lot easier to put up and take down in bad weather.

The worst blizzard I ever slept through I was under a 5x8 sil tarp. Not ideal, but hardly insane.

Frosty
12-29-2007, 15:47
tarps in winter?-madness.Why? Tents need to be ventilated when winter camping to remove moisture from breathing.

And it isn't like tents are heated. Body heat may raise the temp a couple degrees more than outside. Big deal. You need to have clothing enough to be warm at the ambient temperature.

If drafts around the head is a problem either use the drawstring feature of your mummy bag or wear a balaclava to bed.

Snow loads are the biggest problem winter camping, not a draft. That and the need to air out your sleeping bag during the day to remove moisture. Oh, and the short days and boring long nights. And trying to eat with mittens on. Frozen boots. Peeing at 3:00 a.m. Frozen Snickers bars. Stuff like that. Is it May yet?

dessertrat
12-29-2007, 15:54
Why? Tents need to be ventilated when winter camping to remove moisture from breathing.

And it isn't like tents are heated. Body heat may raise the temp a couple degrees more than outside. Big deal. You need to have clothing enough to be warm at the ambient temperature.

If drafts around the head is a problem either use the drawstring feature of your mummy bag or wear a balaclava to bed.

Snow loads are the biggest problem winter camping, not a draft. That and the need to air out your sleeping bag during the day to remove moisture. Oh, and the short days and boring long nights. And trying to eat with mittens on. Frozen boots. Peeing at 3:00 a.m. Frozen Snickers bars. Stuff like that. Is it May yet?

And you call yourself "Frosty"??? ;)

scout005
12-29-2007, 17:19
To minimize the wind flow is relatively easy with the Rainbows.
My preferred option is simply to put my pack behind my head to deflect the wind. This will work even if you are 6' tall. (IE the tent is long enough for that)
Next, you may find some rocks or branches around to use as a wind barrier.
Another way is to "drop " the Rainbow lower to the ground.
The last two suggestions are not exactly Leave No Trace, but with a bit of care you should be able to tidy up the next day.
Of course you can also use any combination of the above suggestions....
The first pic is how the Rainbow should look like
The second is after I dug a hole in the ground and shoved the pole inside,
Another 2" and it would have been fully down to earth.
The third is to show the idea utilizing a dip in my lawn

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/Rainbow-std.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/Rainbow-low.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/Low.jpg
Good points Franco, thanks for the pics. The Double Rainbow looks like the best bet for me.
I think lowering it down or blocking off the mesh will work. I looked at the Big Sky tents also but with all the delivery problems, I guess I'll pass on that one.

Appalachian Tater
12-30-2007, 21:31
If you put the bathtub floor up, it significantly reduces the amount of air coming in. it is noticeably warmer inside in cold weather. You need air coming in for oxygen and to get rid of humidity--it's a very small space and silnylon is not very breathable. However, if you are relying on your tent to keep you warm, rather than your clothing and sleeping pad and bag, in winter, look at some of the Hilleberg tents.

Ramble~On
01-02-2008, 06:41
:-? Couldn't you just modify it with cut to fit Tyvek or Silnylon strips and some velcro? might add a couple ounces but winter camping sometimes comes at an expense..I'm looking at one of these as well.

Chache
01-02-2008, 11:07
My Big Agnus SL2 has a similar problem. I was camping in utah and the wind was blowing sand up and under the fly. It doesn't go all the way to the ground. I had a boat load of sand by morning.

Tobit
01-03-2008, 08:28

Yeah baby, yeah! (http://owareusa.com/images/tarpdink.jpg) Winter in a tarp rocks.