PDA

View Full Version : Losing focus.....

Tabasco
12-29-2007, 00:00
I went out for a planned solo 4 day winter hike yesterday. Drove to Erwin, shuttled back to Devil's Fork Gap, started walking at 1.30. Plan was 6 miles to Hogback Ridge, then two 10 mile days, and then 6 miles back to Erwin.

Why am I posting today you ask? Simple, I lost my focus out there. I missed trail turns, at least 3 times, I was walking on auto-pilot, not paying attention to where I was and missed the trail. I was walking and not watching where my footfalls were going to land. Repeatedly, I was either tripping, partially rolling my ankles, or something equally stupid.

Long story short, in the summertime, or when you are with a partner, sometimes you can afford to zone out. Not when you are hiking solo in the wintertime. I realized that I wasn't focused on my hike, so I quick stepped to Sam's Gap and caught a ride back to Erwin then on home.

Hated to cut it short, but given my lack of focus out there, I thought it better to head home than to get myself hurt.

rafe
12-29-2007, 00:03
Winter hiking is a different trip for sure. And doing it solo... well, you're taking some chances. IMO, you made a smart decision.

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2007, 00:08
Sounds like you may have other things on your mind besides hiking. Often a good reason to take a hike, but not necessarily to be thinking about them while out there. Sometimes I think it's good to just hike in to a relaxing place and camp for a few days. Just hang out, relax, and think about whatever needs to be thought about.

excuses
12-29-2007, 00:14
Glad things turned out well. At least you were alert enough to recognize what was going on. You can always recoup and head out another time.

emerald
12-29-2007, 00:21
Hated to cut it short, but given my lack of focus out there, I thought it better to head home than to get myself hurt.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. You're not alone.

My Christmas dinner was out-of-focus. I briefly entertained sending it back to the kitchen, but, since no one else seemed to have the same complaint, I ate it anyway.

They didn't provide glasses either. It was BYOG. Next time I'm eating elsewhere.;)

Just a Hiker
12-29-2007, 00:31
Sometimes the AT can be a mean old B itch. Some times she gets you and somtimes you get her. You'll get her next time!:)

Just Jim

Smile
12-29-2007, 00:51
Good choice, she'll be there waiting for you next time ;)

Bob S
12-29-2007, 01:00
Even a bad day outdoors is one less day at work.

GPS…

Lone Wolf
12-29-2007, 01:16
obviously "winter" isn't the problem. there's no snow on the ground and temps are in the fifties

Tennessee Viking
12-29-2007, 01:50
You might be glad to have cut it short. Friday Dec 28 was nothing but a drincher and high winds. It has been non stop rain in the lower elevations. And the news channels warned of very strong gusts in Mitchell, Yancey, and Avery counties.

If you hiked up Big Bald you would have been wet and then blown off the mountain.

J5man
12-29-2007, 02:45
In the words of Cher in "Moonstruck"........."Snap out of it!"
Hopefully, you'll be back in the saddle soon.

88BlueGT
12-29-2007, 04:35
That really sucks about your trip. Sometimes I wish I could zone out but unfortunatly hiking the AT in NJ/PA doesnt allow you to to zone out. If you do, you will be sure that you will be leaving with ankle injuries from the millions upon millions of softball size rocks.

mudhead
12-29-2007, 08:06
obviously "winter" isn't the problem. there's no snow on the ground and temps are in the fifties

Summer in Maine!

I am starting to get winter-squirrely. Where are the black flies when you want them.

Kirby
12-29-2007, 09:11
Summer in Maine!

I am starting to get winter-squirrely. Where are the black flies when you want them.

Is it raining in your neck of the woods? It is in Portland, that tells me it at least 33 degrees out, most likely warmer. Nice and toasty for a winter day in Maine.

Kirby

CoyoteWhips
12-29-2007, 09:13
"Master, my photographs are all fuzzy."

"Grasshopper, you must learn focus!"

rafe
12-29-2007, 09:27

Even so... it's well past prime season and Tabasco was hiking alone. So an injury could end up being much more serious than in summer, when the trail is more heavily traveled.

What spooked me about solo winter hiking was consideration of an injury that left me immobile. On the summit of Mt. Hayes in the dead of winter, it was unnerving.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2007, 09:30
yeah it would have been weeks before anybody would've come along. such a remote area

mudhead
12-29-2007, 16:42
Is it raining in your neck of the woods? It is in Portland, that tells me it at least 33 degrees out, most likely warmer. Nice and toasty for a winter day in Maine.

Kirby

We had 30* and rain. My accurate thermometer. Driveway is nasty.

emerald
12-29-2007, 17:01
That really sucks about your trip. Sometimes I wish I could zone out but unfortunatly hiking the AT in NJ/PA doesnt allow you to to zone out. If you do, you will be sure that you will be leaving with ankle injuries from the millions upon millions of softball size rocks.

You can thank the AT in NJ/PA and its maintainers and wildlife for helping you to keep focused on what matters most while you hike.:rolleyes:

BTW, there aren't millions upon millions of softball-sized rocks in The Green Diamond any more than there are I-forget-how-many "footballs." If you saw that here, you were hallucinating and needed medical attention more than you needed recreation.:p

Tabasco
12-29-2007, 17:37
You are correct LW, it was not the weather that was my issue, it was being distracted by home issues and not paying attention to where I was and what I was doing.

And as to people, I saw exactly zero people all day in the 8 miles from DF Gap to Sam's Gap. Not to say that there weren't people out, just none that passed by me on the trail.

88BlueGT
12-30-2007, 04:41
I didnt mean all of NJ and PA. I was referring to the NJ/PA border at the DWG.

Tabasco
12-30-2007, 12:07
I was dayhiking there a few years ago (DWG area- 2003 I think it was) that was a beautiful area.

JAK
12-30-2007, 18:29

KirbyIt can snow when its 35F, and it can rain when its 25F.

If I didn't hike unless I had my full wits about be I would probably never hike.
Safer than driving.

rafe
12-30-2007, 18:36
I was dayhiking there a few years ago (DWG area- 2003 I think it was) that was a beautiful area.

I remember leaving DWG heading south. I was dreading it... and then it turned out to be a nicely graded climb with beautiful views, to boot. One of the most pleasant days I've spent on the AT.

emerald
12-30-2007, 18:47
I ceased being amazed a long time ago when two people hike the same portion of trail and report entirely different experiences. Ordinarily, one thinks the other's wrong.

rafe
12-30-2007, 19:34
I ceased being amazed a long time ago when two people hike the same portion of trail and report entirely different experiences. Ordinarily, one thinks the other's wrong.

I'm sure it happens all the time, and I can understand why. Lots of variables. Mood and attitude among them. ;)