PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow or Lunar Solo

dgever
12-29-2007, 01:00
I am trying to decide between the rainbow and lunar solo. I like how on the lunar the tent walls are several inches away from the floor with the mesh keeping you away from any condensation that might occur. My question is weather or not the rainbow has this feature, or could brushing up against the walls be a problem when wet?

rafe
12-29-2007, 01:09
I am trying to decide between the rainbow and lunar solo. I like how on the lunar the tent walls are several inches away from the floor with the mesh keeping you away from any condensation that might occur. My question is weather or not the rainbow has this feature, or could brushing up against the walls be a problem when wet?

In general, not a big problem -- considering the phenomenal amount of floor space and headroom in the Tarptent. The walls are steep, almost vertical. But there's a "misting" effect during heavy rain that can be annoying.

Footslogger
12-29-2007, 10:51

===========================================

I own the Lunar Solo and ordered (but returned) the Rainbow so I do have some base of reference.

For starters, any of the silnylon tents are subject to condensation that can transfer to you or your sleeping bag.

That said ...the panel of mesh along the bottom of the Lunar Solo does reduce the potential contact with moisture.

In deference to the Rainbow, it's sides are less slanted, the footprint is somewhat longer and it has more headroom.

If you can, my suggestion would be to get some experience setting up and crawling inside both tents and then pick the one you like most. I doubt you can go wrong either way.

My personal preference is the Lunar Solo ...

'Slogger

Appalachian Tater
12-30-2007, 21:38
The Rainbow is spacious, with plenty of headroom and floorspace for all your gear. It is arched, so when you sit up, you don't hit the roof. It is rare that you touch the walls. If you do touch them, and they are damp, then you transfer some of the moisture onto your clothing or body. It's not a big deal.

Ramble~On
01-14-2008, 17:14
:datzI posted a similar thread before looking around and finding this one.

I'm steering towards the TT Rainbow. Maybe I'm wrong and that's why I'm posting. It looks like the LS may have more peak height but it also appears from where the pole is that that height isn't usable space as the tent walls curve downwards at an angle. The arch of the Rainbow makes it look as if there's a lot more usable space (when sitting up). I'm 5'10 and it looks like I'd have room to spare when sleeping. How bad is condensation in either of these ? Is rain splatter a problem in either around the mesh perimeter ?
Can either or both be pitched lower to the ground to close off the mesh in high winds/snow or blowing rain. ~Thanks.

Appalachian Tater
01-14-2008, 17:28
I'm steering towards the TT Rainbow. Maybe I'm wrong and that's why I'm posting. It looks like the LS may have more peak height but it also appears from where the pole is that that height isn't usable space as the tent walls curve downwards at an angle. The arch of the Rainbow makes it look as if there's a lot more usable space (when sitting up). I'm 5'10 and it looks like I'd have room to spare when sleeping. How bad is condensation in either of these ? Is rain splatter a problem in either around the mesh perimeter ?
Can either or both be pitched lower to the ground to close off the mesh in high winds/snow or blowing rain. ~Thanks.

You could hardly go wrong with the Rainbow. Imagine yourself lying down and then sitting up--you move in an arc. I'm about the same height you are and there's plenty of room in the Rainbow for you and your gear.

Rain splatter really isn't a problem at the perimeter because of the bathtub floor--just put the sides of the floor up if it is raining or windy. The sides come pretty close to the ground, anyway. Also, there are elasticized loops ("corner pullouts") at the four corners of the floor on the outside to keep it taut.

The freestanding part is handy. I like to get in and try out the spot before staking it down because I feel very uncomfortable if my head is even a little lower than my feet.

Another reason to like Henry Shire's Tarptents is that the color makes them hard to spot. I have had to camp in areas near where there are people on paths or roads and it is definitely safer if no one knows you're there.

It is also simply a very beautiful work of design and engineering:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tarptent+rainbow

rafe
01-14-2008, 18:36
Is rain splatter a problem in either around the mesh perimeter ? Can either or both be pitched lower to the ground to close off the mesh in high winds/snow or blowing rain. ~Thanks.

The splatter that annoyed me was from the roof of the Rainbow. I think what's happening is that drops of rain cause condensation to be knocked off the inside ceiling. It's not like rain is coming through the tent but it kinda feels that way.

As for the pitch of the tent, you can get the perimeter of the tent quite low on three sides, somewhat less so on the vestibule side. I've got some photos posted here (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/tarptent/). This isn't the tightest pitch -- at the point where these were taken, the tent was new and I was still learning the ropes.

gearfreak
01-14-2008, 18:52
Six Moon Designs has a new shelter called the Refuge (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=53). Although it lacks a bathtub floor, it looks like an outstanding design. :cool:

Appalachian Tater
01-14-2008, 19:09
Honestly, the Refuge looks like it would be difficult to set up with all those poles and lines and stakes. Maybe someone who has one can comment on that.

It is very easy to put the Rainbow up, and you can do it fast. The hardest part is extending your hiking poles.

Hana_Hanger
01-14-2008, 19:40
The Refuge looks to me like my Lunar Duo...only lighter in total weight and now it has two peaks or canopies that stay up when not enclosing the vestibules. Might appear complexed with all the stuff, but the Lunar Duo is simple to set up as well.

windigrrl
01-14-2008, 20:06
The big difference between the refuge and the Lunar Duo is the bug screen. I have the Duo and really like it. It's not hard to put up, but does take a little practice at first. I love the room it has. I had the Solo and stepped up to the Duo as soon as I saw it. I had it out in the rain this past weekend and had no problems. As far as condensation, on any of the tarp tents, if you leave the bottom where air can get in, you shouldn't have any problems. Don't set them up with the sides all the way to the ground.

Two Speed
01-14-2008, 20:08
While we're discussing the SMD Lunar I'd like to mention two minor modifications that make this shelter work a little better.

The first is one I learned from 'Slogger, and that is to put a splice a small piece of shock cord onto the prussic that pulls the beak down the front guy. Allows you to slide the prussic well down the guy, get good firm tension and still allow a little give should the wind kick up a little.

The second is a modification to the carbon fibre pole SMD sells to go along with the Lunar*. I like to camp on as much duff and leaves as I can find as this makes for a warmer and more comfortable bed. Unfortunately the Lunar puts a fair amount of downward pressure on the tent pole. I have woken up to find my Lunar fairly slack due to the pole sinking in the ground a good 2 or 3".

Not good.

What I've done is to epoxy a small washer to the bottom ferrule. Looks like this (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21272&c=511) before I slid the ferrule back in the pole and like this (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21273&c=511) after I got everything back in the "go" mode.

Haven't tried this extensively in the field yet, but believe it'll help with the

:datz:jumpIncredible Shrinking Tent Syndrome :jump:datz

'Slog, ol' buddy, ol' pal, you sorry you showed me how to do goofy **** with formatting yet, or do I have to cook up some more screwy ideas? Don't forget that's pretty much how Medicine Man fouled up.

* This won't apply to the folks who use a trekking pole for the tent pole.

stranger
01-14-2008, 20:37
I know alot of people worry about condensation with single wall tents but in my experience there is no real difference between single and double wall tents in terms of the amount of condensation, only where the condensation is located. In a double wall tent you can seperate the fly and generally pack up your tent body relatively dry, while with a single wall the condensation on your fly will dampen the dry tent when you pack it up.

I've found when you mop up the condensation each morning in a single wall tent (takes about 5 min) with a packtowel, then pack up the tent slightly damp, it will dry in about 10-15 min when laid out later in a breeze or sunlight. Also in my experience with multiple single wall tents, I've found the weather outside and campsite location to dictate much more in terms of condensation than tent design. To avoid getting your footbox damp with a single wall tent try fitting the bottom of your bag into a breathable jacket and this will solve that problem, or make something up similar from Tyvek, just make sure it's breathable, it doesnt' need to be waterproof per say.

Both designs you talk about will trap condensation in the upper part of the tent, even tarps with open ends and sides collect condensation. Also, condensation is a direct result of different temperatures on each side of the fabric, something that is impossible to avoid in any tent regardless of how well ventilated. The best you can hope for is to minimize it.

Ramble~On
01-15-2008, 01:51
I have a Golite Trig II. It's single wall sil with a mesh perimeter and the condensation inside either a TT or LS will probably be about the same.
I spent a night with 2 of us and a dog crammed in it on a bald in winter with -15 and high winds:rolleyes:. The condensation froze solid and in the morning any movement resulted in a shower of ice:D. I am going to get a Rainbow and fully plan and hope to use it in the worst possible weather I can find...
I like the Lunar Solo also and the two are so close in design and specs that if I really like the Rainbow I may pick up a LS as well.
I have read a lot of reviews on both the LS and Rainbow and folks owning either really seem to like them. ~Thanks a lot for all the info.

hshires
01-15-2008, 19:44
....condensation is a direct result of different temperatures on each side of the fabric, something that is impossible to avoid in any tent regardless of how well ventilated. The best you can hope for is to minimize it.

Airflow issues aside, condensation is definitely a function of fabric temperature and when the temperature of the fabric drops below the surrounding air temperature you will have instant condensation. It really helps to stay out of places where canopy heat radiates directly to the sky on cold, damp nights. If possible, seek the shelter of trees where heat is trapped. Condensation levels are typically much higher camping out in the middle of a meadow than they are under the trees at the edge of the meadow. Also, cold damp air runs downhill and thus valleys and lake basins are colder and damper than the surrounding hillsides.

-H