PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman?

RagingHampster
12-19-2003, 14:16
Whats your choice?

Personally I use a Swiss Army Classic.

12-19-2003, 14:43
I'm not a thru-hiker but spend a good amount of time on the trail, my Swiss Army Classic has been fine so far.

highway
12-19-2003, 19:33
My little Leatherman Micro has some small, miniature tools to fix glasses and a pair of little, sharp, scissors for cutting moleskin. What else could you ask for? I keep it in my little "possibles" bag.

Patco
12-19-2003, 20:36
I have a Buck multi tool that has many functions but is too heavy. your micro sounds great. I usually just end up carrying a lightweight knife and hope I don't need pliers or scissors or a phillips head screwdriver.

Footslogger
12-19-2003, 21:02
I started this year with a micro tool. Hardly every pulled it out. Ended up bying a tiny little swiss army knife and sent the micro tool home. That little swiss army knife was sufficient and much easier to work with.

Kerosene
12-20-2003, 15:29
I switched to a 1.5 oz. Buck micro multi-tool. I rely on the blade and scissors for most purposes, but I wanted to have other capabilities just in case.

Uncle Wayne
12-22-2003, 03:58
I use the 1 ounce Swiss Army classic with one of the Photon LED lights attached to the ring. Makes it easier to keep up with. I've been able to use the small screwdriver to tighten eye glass screws.

MadAussieInLondon
12-22-2003, 04:18
i dont see the point of multitools like leathermen. all i need is a good knife and a pair of scissors. nothing more. the knives on the swiss classic and leatherman micro are mostly uselesss imo.

i carry a small lockliner CRKT m16-00k (2oz) and small pair of scissors in my medical supplies.

none of my gear has any phillips heads, flathead screws, hexnuts or torx screws. i dont need wire cutters or that corckscrew with assist.

MedicineMan
12-22-2003, 07:12
leatherman micra in my wallet and with me always,
leatherman micra in my cookit along with a photon micro light,
gave my aged mother one for Christmas and the oldest daughter one last
year....

tribes
12-22-2003, 08:14
I use a leatherman micra....

Peaks
12-22-2003, 09:20
i dont see the point of multitools like leathermen. all i need is a good knife and a pair of scissors. nothing more. the knives on the swiss classic and leatherman micro are mostly uselesss imo.

What is helpful is a knife blade, scissors, tweezers, and a can opener. I'll agree that you usually don't need other tools along the trail.

I found the tools on the Leatherman Micra to be for light duty only. And I can live with that for backpacking. I just need to remember that they are light duty and not try to do too much with them.

Frankly, the choice between Micra, Swiss Army, or another brand is personal preference. My only recommendation is to keep the weight to 2 ounces or less.

RagingHampster
12-22-2003, 09:46
To be honest, I would like to see my Swiss Classic ditch it's screwdriver/nailfile for a can opener. A guy can wish...

MadAussieInLondon
12-22-2003, 10:06
To be honest, I would like to see my Swiss Classic ditch it's screwdriver/nailfile for a can opener. A guy can wish...

i admit to the can opener. i like tuna. tuna in a pouch in uk supermarkets is NON-EXISTANT. tuna in a pouch in australia is EXPENSIVE, and last time i was back, it was very hard to get also.

you guys take for granted tuna in a pouch :) the rest of us make do with canned tuna...

ChicagoRob
12-22-2003, 10:37
[QUOTE=MadAussieInLondon]you guys take for granted tuna in a pouch :) the rest of us make do with canned tuna...

The tuna pouches are expensive in the US as well. I stiil use the cans.

icemanat95
12-22-2003, 12:24
A can opener and bottle opener, a good knife blade that re-sharpens readily and a good pair of scissors are critical. I carry high quality tweezers seperately, because none of the tweezers that come with swiss army knives are worth a damn, neither is anything you buy in the drug stores. I can make the best of the drug store brands worth with a little lapping to get good, fine, even tips, but generally I pick up what I need at home shows and the like.

Seperate surgical or EMT shears would be nice, but that jumps the weight up again. Swiss Army scissors are usually pretty decent so long as the knife isn't a cheap knock off. You won't be cutting away clothing or anything like that, but they are ample for cutting moleskin, gauze and adhesive tape.

Other tools that have come in handy for me on the trail: sawblade (for making the necessary tool for bear baggin in the Shenandoah) and screwdrivers (for fixing other people's gear). A corkscrew can come in handy as well if you like wine for celebrations, but I can get buy without one.

RagingHampster
12-22-2003, 12:55
I also like the woodsaw on my larger "Huntsman" swiss knife. That knife weighs about 1/4lb though, too heavy for AT backpacking...

Peaks
12-22-2003, 19:12
A corkscrew can come in handy as well if you like wine for celebrations, but I can get buy without one.

Gee, most of wine I buy has a twist off cap.

Doctari
12-24-2003, 08:37
My knife was a gift from my son, it weighs 1 Oz (that is one ounce :jump ) and is sharp enough for all the things I use a knife for, can't remember the name. I don't need: a corkscrew, pliers, file, fish hook remover, etc. I carry a small pair of folding scissors & a pair of very good tweazers, bringing the total weight of my "multi tool" to 2 Oz :sun

I used to carry a small eyeglass screwdriver (reading glasses), but I needed to have my glasses on to use the darn thing to fix my glasses, so now I just carry a spare pair of glasses no screwdriver. Screwdriver = 1/2 Oz, spare glasses = 2 Oz. I can buy reading glasses for about $5 to $10 at most drug stores & carrying an extra 1 1/2 Oz I can live with if it means I can see to read.

Doctari.

Former Easy
12-25-2003, 03:44
I carry a 4" Gerber I don't need all the nonsense involved with the muti-purpose tools. A good knife can do most the chores of a multi-purpose anyways. I would hate to be caught in a survival situation and not have a good knife. If you might have to dress an animal, strip wet firewood, make rope or a shelter, protect yourself from an aggressive wild Boar, even cut cheese or sausage, the multi purpose tools with there small blades won't cut it.

armyrugby
12-30-2003, 16:25
I like to carry 2 tools, one knife with a blade made of really high quality steel (MOST multi-tools and swiss army knives use less than great quality steel) for cutting things and one of the new very light leatherman juice multi-tools that have a good variety of tools on them.

brian
12-30-2003, 18:21
Just got a micra for xmas, and kinda wish it had a can opener...but those are one NICE pair of scissors!

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

otstroller
12-30-2003, 21:47
The Leatherman Squirt is a very handy and light multi-tool to have along.

Blue Jay
12-31-2003, 09:21
Bring them both. I have a huge collection and want to add to it.

Trailjockey
01-02-2004, 14:06
BlueJay?
I thought crows, or is it ravens, liked to line their nest with things that shine! :D

I use to take along my S.O.G. micro, but now have opted for a box cutter(plastic body & snapoff blades,very light,very sharp) High quality tweezers. One of them P- something military type can openers(surplus). Nailclippers, with file .
Tried to use the boxcutter to trim my nails, but ended up with to much of that red stuff leaking out of my finger tips.
For my vision handicap, other than my normal presciption glasses, I carry a plastic magnifying sheet for backup, made by Hoffritz. 2-1/2"W x 8"L x0.030thk. Weight 0.4oz. You can find it at most stationary and bookstores.
A jewlers screwdriver with two spare screws for glasses.(make sure the screws fit) This combination adds up to about 2.1oz.
Another idea would be to put a dab of nail polish on each screw. Then you could probably eliminate the screwdriver and spare screws. YES!!! Even lighter! :banana

Did I hear mention of a corkscrew in this thread!
Who here can afford corked wine? Especially while on the trail!
Fricking elitist! :p

Valmet
01-02-2004, 18:01
One item that I have found to be invaluable is a pair of hemostats.

Colter
01-02-2004, 23:39
For the AT, where you only have to hike a short distance to a town for repairs or better tools, I only carried a tiny swiss army knife and one of those ultralite p-38 can openers. For it's weight, there is no better can opener than the p-38.

Shoe Leather Express
01-11-2004, 16:39
I used to carry a Gerber Multi tool. It weighed 7.75 ounces. I never used anything except the knife blade, so I swapped it out for an Old Timer 2 bladed pocket knife that weighs 1.5 ounces.

Jaybird
01-27-2004, 10:22
other...........

i own a SWISS ARMY multi-tool knife but it weighs a TON...so it stays home......

for the trail i hike with a 1oz. Schrade single blade knife.

its met all my trail needs! ;)

see ya'll UP the trail!

barefoothiker
02-05-2004, 00:30
Depending on the situation I use one of three tools. My Swiss Army knife, my Old Timer blade or my Leatherman. By far the Leatherman goes with me everywhere. It is much more useful and durable in heavy situations than my Swiss Army.
:bse

Thomas Hughes
02-05-2004, 14:38
I grew up in Arizona. I've used the Swiss knive alot. I like the saw, can/beer opener, knive, and Mr. Scissors. But, when I got out of high school, I was abel to go out for a couple of weeks at a time. It was at that time when I got my Leatherman Wave.
It might weigh some, but, I'd take everywhere. It has two impressive LOCKABLE blads, one strate, one serrated. One file, wich is cool for makeing wood stuff when it rains. It has a saw like the Swiss. The can/beer opener is not as good as the Swiss. It has many different screwdrivers. I never thought that I'd use them, however, they can and will fix eyeglasses, help kill the governer on the Dodge Power Wagen, ect. Oh, the Pliers, used them all the time. The pliers also have wire cutters. If you can't go over/around the game fence. Make a way, just make it so that you can close it.
Leatherman gives a 50 year warranty on it. Send it in and they will send you a new one. I've worn out a blad and broke one. The blads hold there edges well. I've skinned a lot of rabbits and one Javelina. I recomend the Leatherman Wave.

Kozmic Zian
02-07-2004, 23:42
Best knife is a razor blade. Best can opener...P-38. Ya don need ta be choppin' anythin in the woods, or fixin alot o' thins out dar ya know. Goes to town I does, for any o' dat stuff.

squirrel bait
02-08-2004, 07:11
Leatherman Wave. And the pliers really crush them there tickies, pull burrs and work holding rope/line when ya fingers are cold and or old.

grrickar
05-28-2004, 13:04
Leatherman Micra with a P38 can opener for cans. All I seem to need. Both light, both get the job done well without the weight of my Gerber Multi-tool.

stieg
05-28-2004, 15:52
I carry a Leatherman juice pro in my bag in my daily life, but for hiking they are just too heavy.

When hiking I just carry a knife. A nice, light, sharp one! It has a 3" blade and weighs less than 3oz.

I bought the Delica at REI back when they sold less yuppy stuff (not that I'm knocking REI or their stuff, but, let's face it, they are much *different* now!).

smokymtnsteve
05-29-2004, 10:17
I only carry a pair of scissors.

Texas Dreamer
06-01-2004, 10:16
Father-in-law gave me a Swiss card a few years ago to carry in my knitting bag. Now that I'm doing more hiking, guess where it lives? I haven't yet found a situation where I needed more than this and a p-38. Planning on getting the new model with the LED.

Ramble~On
06-02-2004, 06:01
Used to carry Swiss thing...(from that country over there where they make that cheese with the holes in it) After years of carrying a knife with gizmos and gadgets that weighed something? I opted for a $.99 no ounce, itty, bitty, tiny, little, small plastic handle folding knife that I haven't used yet in the past three hikes I've had it on.
I don't carry cans into the woods....don't need can opener.
Scissors....I have my trusty itty, bitty blade to cut stuff.
Pliers ?.....for what ? I have tweezers in first aid kit.
I always have some duct tape so that covers everything else.

Kozmic Zian
06-02-2004, 09:57
Yea......Trail Tools. 1oz. Swizz Clazzic & a P-38. Everything else fixes in Town. KZ@

The Hog
07-05-2004, 21:24
In the interest of losing weight, I carry a single edge razorblade in a 35mm film canister.

BigToe
07-05-2004, 21:38
I carry a Leatherman Squirt P4, weighs 2.3 oz.

MedicineMan
07-05-2004, 22:29
Wallyworld has a cool multitool for $1.34
It has everything the Leatherman Micra has, is almost the same weight.
The steel is not as good and will show rust much quicker (nothing a spary of WD-40 wont cure/prevent).
We found them in the hardware section hanging on an end-cap...bought 5 as gifts and geocache items, went back for more and found them all gone. Asked the Bluevest in hardware and he knew nothing about any item on the end-caps, said they could show up at any time.
For the price you cant beat them anywhere and one feature it has the micra doesnt is a good beer bottle opener and in the opener are cutouts for 3 sizes of hex heads.

lilmountaingirl
07-05-2004, 23:43
Swiss Army Knife that I've had for eons. I've never carried anything else and I've never found myself needing anything.

Icicle
07-07-2004, 07:17
i admit to the can opener. i like tuna. tuna in a pouch in uk supermarkets is NON-EXISTANT. tuna in a pouch in australia is EXPENSIVE, and last time i was back, it was very hard to get also.

you guys take for granted tuna in a pouch :) the rest of us make do with canned tuna...
Not true...try Tesco...we have them over here near Bristol...

hikerjohnd
01-04-2005, 17:44
I carried a swiss army knife for years, but for Christmas this year I received a Leatherman Squirt S4 that has all the same functions for 1/2 the weight (under 2 oz) and no corkscrew that I never use! The blade is a little smaller, but everything else is about the same. I think I'm a convert to leatherman!