PDA

View Full Version : New rules re: flying with lithium batteries

Marta
12-29-2007, 06:11
Restrictions on the carrying of lithium batteries in checked bags will be starting soon:

http://tech.yahoo.com/news//ap/20071228/ap_on_hi_te/lithium_batteries_travel

CoyoteWhips
12-29-2007, 08:51
Apparently the concern is loose batteries shorting out and setting the cargo ablaze. Isn't clear about the rule if they're still in the original packaging. They do say you can take them if they're in electronic devices.

"Why do you have all these flashlights?"

rafe
12-29-2007, 08:59
Apparently the concern is loose batteries shorting out and setting the cargo ablaze. Isn't clear about the rule if they're still in the original packaging. They do say you can take them if they're in electronic devices.

"Why do you have all these flashlights?"

The article implies that they're fine if they're still in their original packaging.

c.coyle
12-29-2007, 10:50
Same goes for customs. I recently bought an old fashioned, non-quartz, mechanical wristwatch from a german watchmaker. Customs put a hold on it until the watchmaker and I both certified there was no battery. Fed-Ex told me this is now standard procedure.

rlharris
12-29-2007, 19:44
Complete rule from the official source is at http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

CoyoteWhips
12-29-2007, 20:57
My wife: "My watch has stopped working."

Me: "Lemme see. Seems like the battery is dead."

My wife: "Battery? It's not an electric watch!"

Me: "Yes it is. Look there's the battery."

My wife: "Then why have I been winding it all year?"

wrongway_08
12-29-2007, 21:18
wonder why they made this rule? My guess 1 out of the 50 billion batteries that fly every year leaked or cought fire so now ther is another regulation............

Drug dealers/robbers kills thousands every year......gov't hardly lifts a finger to stop it...............

a battery goes bad and messes up some cargo one time every couple years.... look out.... new regulation and headaches to prevent that.

okay done my stupid rant.....back to what ever had my attention before reading this............

rickb
12-29-2007, 21:20
There was a big thing about computer batteries going up in flames a while back.