PDA

View Full Version : Precip Lifetime

DebW
12-19-2003, 16:10
Anyone have experience with the lifetime of Marmot Precip rainwear? How long should it last? Or how long has it lasted for you? Mine is only 2 years old, but the outside color is starting to show through on the inside around the shoulders where the pack straps abrade it. And it might be starting to leak there also.

gravityman
12-19-2003, 16:16
I took mine on 3 months of the trail. Pretty much trashed it. A lot of the tape on the seams is coming off. Good thing I purchased it at EMS. I returned the pants because they were dieing at too young of an age, and now I will return the top. I like a store that stands behind what they sell!

Tom

ganj
12-19-2003, 19:31
Had better luck with mine. Even though I had it for the entire trail, really only wore it either while in town or if I wasn't hiking. Had the jacket since 2001 and plan to take it out on the PCT with me as well.

hungryhowie
12-20-2003, 00:23
Anyone have experience with the lifetime of Marmot Precip rainwear? How long should it last? Or how long has it lasted for you? Mine is only 2 years old, but the outside color is starting to show through on the inside around the shoulders where the pack straps abrade it. And it might be starting to leak there also.

Lightweight coatings don't last as long as membranes...that's how it's always been and that's how it'll always be. Marmot states the life-time of the Precip to be at 1-3 years depending on normal operating conditions (this is from the rep's mouth in several different in-store clinics). They argue that their coating is longer lasting than many, but if durability is your main goal, get a laminate.

Depending on how hard you use it, I would expect one set to last most or all of a thruhike. If it's an extremely wet year, it probably won't make it all the way through. Marmot stands behind their gear. If you feel that yours is wearing prematurely, give them a call. I've had my precip jacket since the Spring of 2001, but haven't ever used it backpacking - I always opt for my lighter and simpler Red Ledge Thunderlight Anorak. It doesn't have the special hydrophilic coatings that the precip has (for longevity), but it's lasted under pretty hard-core backpacking use since about the same time (Spring 2001). I've got about 700 miles under it (plus many many days of cross-country use) and it's about in need of replacement now. For $50, I can't complain...

-Howie

DebW
12-20-2003, 00:42
Lightweight coatings don't last as long as membranes...that's how it's always been and that's how it'll always be. Marmot states the life-time of the Precip to be at 1-3 years depending on normal operating conditions (this is from the rep's mouth in several different in-store clinics). They argue that their coating is longer lasting than many, but if durability is your main goal, get a laminate.

-Howie

I've usually had coated (non-breathable) rainshells last about 3-4 years. But since the Precip is breathable, I use it as a windshell too, so it gets more use than a non-breathable jacket would. I only use it around town if it's raining, but on the trail in cooler weather it can get quite a bit of use. On the Long Trail this September, it got used in camp every evening, on every above T-line mountaintop, and for all day hiking a few cool and wet days. In winter I use a different breathable shell for hiking, since I wear it continuously.

Moon Monster
12-20-2003, 12:24
I used a precip jacket on my AT thru this year. It gets saturated very quickly now, but I only ever wore it to stay warm beneath rather than completely dry, and it still can trap the heat well (I've never found the precip to breath well at all, but I take advantage of that).

My complaint is that the white interior has become discolored, particularly where the straps are, but also everywhere. Seemed a common problem with other hikers I saw this year.

yogi clyde
12-21-2003, 11:22
Are there any aftermarket waterproof applications to reapply to the precip?
The sleeve on my jacket wets out during a heavy long rain.

RagingHampster
12-21-2003, 12:22
I just recoated my Gore-Tex Pac-Lite shell with Revivex.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=100706

Works great. I sprayed two bottles worth on my jacket just to make sure... :p

stranger
12-21-2003, 15:55
The problem with Precip stuff is that it's only a 2 layer jacket, so it's life is very limited, probably less than 6 months of hard use. If you are looking for something durable you need a 3 layer garment, one that sandwiches the waterproof coating/membrane between two protective layers.

Of course 3 layer jackets are heavier, therefore more durable, so many people will stay away from them.