PDA

View Full Version : Iron Mt.

double j
12-29-2007, 18:09
well i drove down today to do a little hiking and the terrain on the iron mt. seem to be all straight up .....also looked like it had been on fire at some point .i took a few pics ill try to post them later

bigcranky
12-29-2007, 19:16
Iron Mountain is uphill both ways.

Darwin again
12-29-2007, 19:20
Straight up. Even on the flats. All three or four times.
Anybody know how many times the Trail climbs that sucker?

Lone Wolf
12-29-2007, 19:22
well i drove down today to do a little hiking and the terrain on the iron mt. seem to be all straight up .....also looked like it had been on fire at some point .i took a few pics ill try to post them later

there's 2 iron mtns. which one and where did you access it?

Pedaling Fool
12-29-2007, 20:07
...and how many Deep Gaps are there?:D

double j
12-29-2007, 20:46
down at watauga dam when your driving up its on the left there was a couple of people camping up real foggy on the mt. where did it get the name from??

bullseye
12-29-2007, 21:10
Climbing up (north) from Watagua Dam Rd isn't anywhere near as steep as the maps show it to be. I was at the top before I knew it and didn't even get winded.

mountain squid
12-29-2007, 21:12
I was there today, hiked out to Vandeventer shelter and back. Very foggy and a little rainy or drizzly or something...it was wet anyway...not too cold though...

And, yes, it is steep there (about 3/4 mi to the top - once on top it is easy hiking). The next time you go, look for the orange ribbons on the trees - that is the beginning of a future relocation.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Pedaling Fool
12-29-2007, 21:13
If you're talking about Iron Mountain in the Watuga Dam area, then that's some easy hiking.

double j
12-29-2007, 22:13
yeah i seen the ribbons we were talking bout them .....wish i had known we could have hiked together or something which truck was yours ????

Tennessee Viking
12-29-2007, 23:40
If you want to get technical the range along Watuaga Lake is the Iron Mountains. Then there is the Iron Mountain which extends from Weedy Gap to Greasy Creek Gap. I just want to now why some one named to mountains the same name, and they are what...10-15 miles apart

Any hunters inside Big Laurel that day? Ran up to where the Big Laurel Branch spring comes close to the trail. Very foggy that day as well. Ran into about 4 hunters all complaining that the weather was too foggy to hunt.

I believe the Iron Mtn range got its name from ore mining. There was a huge mining outfit in Hampton years ago. I think it was around the same time as the Pond Mtn timber cutting. There are some small caves form its mining days above Hampton and at the bend of the Doe River on 19E/321.

Pedaling Fool
12-30-2007, 00:29
... I just want to now why some one named to mountains the same name, and they are what...10-15 miles apart
There are a lot of redundant names of mountains/gaps in the south, i.e. LOW, DEEP, SASSAFRASS...

Roots
12-30-2007, 00:41
...and how many Deep Gaps are there?:D
Good one!! :D

pitdog
12-30-2007, 01:05
How many brushy mtns are there?

mountain squid
12-30-2007, 17:39
yeah i seen the ribbons we were talking bout them .....wish i had known we could have hiked together or something which truck was yours ????
Avalanche was mine. Watauga Dam Rd is one of the closest access points for me, so I go there often. I'm usually on the trail somewhere on Saturdays (and Tuesdays are usually maintenance days).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Yahtzee
12-30-2007, 18:03
And while we are at it, just how long are we on Brushy Mt.
From the Data Book:
Brushy Mt. 87.9 from Damascus
Brushy Mt. 109.6 from Damascus
Brushy Mt. 130.1 from Damascus
Brushy Mt. 136.1 from Damascus

And of course, there is Little Brushy 80.5 from Damascus.

double j
12-30-2007, 21:11
Avalanche was mine. Watauga Dam Rd is one of the closest access points for me, so I go there often. I'm usually on the trail somewhere on Saturdays (and Tuesdays are usually maintenance days).

See you on the trail,
mt squid
yeah i noticed the at sticker on your window was there people at the shelter camping?