PDA

View Full Version : Best 100-mile section on PCT?

rafe
12-29-2007, 19:26
My nephew and I have done some short (35-mile) AT sections together in southern Maine. He's young and fit, but relatively inexperienced as a hiker. I'm no youngster but still capable of 15 mile days on the AT. (Well, at least between VA and PA.)

Daniel wants to do another hike together (summer '08) and I'm looking to check out the PCT. So, what would you recommend for a 100-mile, or 7-10 day section? I'm looking for maximal scenery and views, if not the toughest and steepest climbs. One or two short town stops along the way would also be nice (though not absolutely required.)

Preferably within a day's drive of San Francisco, since that's probably where we'll be flying in to. Access to trailheads by bus & shuttle would be an issue as well.

MOWGLI
12-29-2007, 22:57
Yosemite Valley to Reds Meadow on the JMT. Hard to beat, although it is not all PCT. Most of it is though. High mountain passes, waterfalls. Half Dome, crystalline lakes. Simply incredible!

rafe
12-29-2007, 23:02
Yosemite Valley to Reds Meadow on the JMT. Hard to beat, although it is not all PCT. Most of it is though. High mountain passes, waterfalls. Half Dome, crystalline lakes. Simply incredible!

The JMT needs passes or permits or some such, no? I seem to recall hearing something like that.

MOWGLI
12-29-2007, 23:04
Yes, you can get a permit 24 weeks in advance, although they reserve some permits for walk ups. Don't let the permit requirement deter you! You can deal with it easily!

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~rbell/johnmuir.htm

A-Train
12-30-2007, 03:13
If you're trying to stay relatively close to San Fran, i'd suggest checking out Tuolomne Meadows to Sonora Pass (75 miles) or Tuolomne to Tahoe (around 150 miles). I thought the section south of Sonora Pass was pretty spectacular and very scenic. The terrain north of Tuolomne in Yosemite is rather difficult with lots of ups and downs, and the bugs can be a big nuisance.

I'd also highly recommend the Tahoe to Sierra City section (100 miles). This is beautiful terrain through Granite Chief and Desolation Wilderness and much easy ridge walking. You also have a bailout/resupply point at Truckee/Poohs Corner about 60 miles into the section.

After thinking it over, I highly recommend the latter suggestion. Way less people, easy beautiful hiking and cool towns. Can't beat that. Sierra City is a funky little town-very friendly

rafe
12-30-2007, 10:33
Thanks, guys. Keep it coming. I've done a bit of hiking out west, but nothing serious. Any special gear or skills I might need on these treks? A bear canister, I suppose... what else?

For those who've done both AT and PCT, what would you say are the key differences? Any issues with altitude? Water? Wildlife?

oso loco
12-30-2007, 12:57
I liked Section P best in California - the Marble Mountain Wilderness area north of Castella. Beautiful mountains, fairly easy trail, few people. The Sierras are beautiful, but you have the issues of needing a bear canister and too many people. In Oregon the Sisters Wilderness is also a good area to hike. Gorgeous mountains and easy trail with plenty of water. But crowded.

rafe
12-30-2007, 13:18
FWIW, I've hiked a bit around Oregon and southern Washington. I was thinking more of CA... that's part of the deal with my wife for doing this trip (she'll be hanging out in Berkeley with her old friends.) I've skied around Tahoe a few times, and those mountains sure look inviting.

Sly
12-30-2007, 13:33
Section P is outstanding. From Castle Crags State Park to Etna Summit.

PS I see oso loco agrees! ;)

MOWGLI
12-30-2007, 13:39
Section P

http://books.google.com/books?id=kExZ1wo81-MC&pg=PA207&dq=pct+section+p&ei=3dd3R8r9PJnEiQGL30w&sig=gg07CggRQpXIhldHYyh-qHlHlsQ

Sly
12-30-2007, 13:52
It's probably best to get the Guide to Northen California (https://www.orderz.com/pcta/productdetail.asp?action=showdetail&cat=154&item=27098&part=PCTA-10B). It's really a great section. IIRC, Porcupine Lake is in this section Try to arrange you hike to stay there.

A-Train
12-30-2007, 15:08
Main differences between the 2 trails?

PCT=much higher elevation, no shelters, less rain, better views, more gradual hiking, less people (except a few small spots), sometimes water issues.

I agree with the others, Castle Crags/Trinity Alps section is a nice one. Though I think the next section north of Etna is much better (Marble Mountain Wilderness). This section was REALLY dry last yr in late July though.

Also, this section will be a good deal north of Berkley/San Fran as it's very close to the Oregon border

rafe
12-30-2007, 15:15
Access and travel time to the trail are going to be issues. I'm on a short leash as far as vacation time goes, and it starts with getting across the USA and back. It would be a lot easier and more practical to hike the AT in Maine, of course. :cool: But the nephew and I have both been there and done that.

Sly
12-30-2007, 15:16
As far as wildlife is concerned, here's what I found... the CDT is the best by far (it's not even close), the AT and then the PCT, which I thought was dissapointing in that regard.

Sly
12-30-2007, 15:20
Access and travel time to the trail are going to be issues. I'm on a short leash as far as vacation time goes, and it starts with getting across the USA and back. It would be a lot easier and more practical to hike the AT in Maine, of course. :cool: But the nephew and I have both been there and done that.

It's not all that far. If you have 10 days you should have time to tavel and hike section P. The section north of Echo Lake (S Lake Tahoe) is also a good one as A Train mentioned. Desolation (permit needed) and Granite Chief Wildernesses are great.

MOWGLI
12-30-2007, 15:50
Terrapin, look for an open jaw ticket into San Francisco and out of Reno. That might be a better option for you travel wise. Tickets like that were selling on Expedia for about $300 R/T a few weeks ago.

rafe
12-30-2007, 17:12
Terrapin, look for an open jaw ticket into San Francisco and out of Reno. That might be a better option for you travel wise. Tickets like that were selling on Expedia for about $300 R/T a few weeks ago.

Never heard that expression, "open jaw ticket." Not sure exactly what it means. This whole idea is pretty tentative. No date set. It might not even happen. Trying to come up with a plan that will please me, my wife, and my nephew. My wife doesn't backpack, unfortunately. I know Reno is a good gateway to the Tahoe area.

MOWGLI
12-30-2007, 17:22
Open jaw means arriving in one airport and leaving from another. Sorta like Boston to San Francisco, and Reno to Boston.

Sly
12-30-2007, 18:21
Open jaw means arriving in one airport and leaving from another. Sorta like Boston to San Francisco, and Reno to Boston.

Atlanta to Campo, Manning Park to Atlanta. :D

chris
12-31-2007, 16:22
Hiking from Reds Meadow southbound will avoid most of the worst permit issues. You can get back to Reds by hiking out to the east and down to a trailhead (lots of choices). Hitch (not super hard) out to a town on US 395 (lots of them) and then catch a CREST bus back to Mammoth (where you will have left your car). For example, you could easily hike from Reds south to Dusey Basin (actually not on the PCT, but close), and then out via Bishop Pass. The trailhead is quite popular and getting a lift down to Bishop is pretty easy.

Alternatively, get on a plane out to Seattle. Arrange a lift via the PCT-L up to Snoqualmie Pass (I-90). Hike north to Stevens Pass (US2) through the Alpine Lakes wilderness. Or, hike from Stevens to Rainy Pass (WA 20) through the Glacier Peak Wilderness and North Cascades NP. Most thruhikers get hit with tons of rain when they go through WA in September, but really, this is one of the best stretches on the entire trail. It was the thing that finally convinced me to move out here!

ScottP
01-07-2008, 01:57
You really can't go wrong....it's the PCT.

jersey joe
01-07-2008, 15:14
terrapin, I went for a week trip in the Sierras a couple years ago. I found material to help plan very sparse. I hiked in the ansel adams wilderness section just south of yosemite. I flew into San Fran, rented a car and drove through yosemite and parked at the mammoth lakes ski resort where i left the car for the week. Drive time was probably about six hours. There is a bus that took me to the trail head(agnew meadows) from there. I loved this week. Awesome area to backpack. Here is a link to some of my pictures as well as a map of my hike, might help you deceide if its an area you'd like to hike. http://joealaya.com/sierra/
Also, I got my permit out there at the mono lake ranger station. I was also able to rent bear cannisters there. Glad I did this as I ran into a ranger in the field who was very thorough. Hope this helps.

rafe
01-07-2008, 20:48
Beautiful photos, Joe. It's pix like those that make me want to hike out west again. I might even have to budget weight for a better camera. Sigh. Oddly the nephew isn't returning my emails at the moment. :confused: Space cadet.

Sly
01-07-2008, 21:22
Beautiful photos, Joe. It's pix like those that make me want to hike out west again.

Yeah Joe, awesome pictures.

Shutterbug
01-07-2008, 23:53
My nephew and I have done some short (35-mile) AT sections together in southern Maine. He's young and fit, but relatively inexperienced as a hiker. I'm no youngster but still capable of 15 mile days on the AT. (Well, at least between VA and PA.)

Daniel wants to do another hike together (summer '08) and I'm looking to check out the PCT. So, what would you recommend for a 100-mile, or 7-10 day section? I'm looking for maximal scenery and views, if not the toughest and steepest climbs. One or two short town stops along the way would also be nice (though not absolutely required.)

Preferably within a day's drive of San Francisco, since that's probably where we'll be flying in to. Access to trailheads by bus & shuttle would be an issue as well.

If you want a great 7 - 10 day hike, consider the Wonderland Trail. It isn't on the PCT, but the PCT passes right by the eastern side.

The Wonderland Trail circles Mt. Rainier. It has great views, lots of wild life and a well maintained trail. It's tough enough to challenge your nephew, but you won't need to cover 15 miles on most days. I have done it once in 9 days and another time in 8.

jersey joe
01-08-2008, 09:43
Yeah Joe, awesome pictures.

Thanks sly and terrapin. I only used a 3.2 megapixel camera. You just cant help but come home with great pics from there. The landscape out there dwarfs anything on the AT.

chris
01-08-2008, 11:10
If you want a great 7 - 10 day hike, consider the Wonderland Trail. It isn't on the PCT, but the PCT passes right by the eastern side.

The Wonderland Trail circles Mt. Rainier. It has great views, lots of wild life and a well maintained trail. It's tough enough to challenge your nephew, but you won't need to cover 15 miles on most days. I have done it once in 9 days and another time in 8.

The Wonderland has some very scenic sections. But a lot more forest walking. And from the storms of 2006, parts of the trail were destroyed. In 2007, a long stretch was re-routed onto roads. You'll have to deal with permits, which can be difficult during the best times (mid July to September). Washington has many better attractions for trails, where you can hike without a permit, camp where you want, and spent lots of time up high.

Spigot
01-19-2008, 18:55
I would start in Castella after taking a swim in the Sacramento River (my favorite swimming hole on the entire PCT) and head north. There is a massive climb out of Castella but you have stellar views of Mt. Shasta and Castle Crags. I hiked my biggest days (40 miles +) on the way to Etna so the hiking is relatively easy and lots of ridgeline hiking.

Jim Adams
01-20-2008, 03:09
Do Whitney then go north from Crabtree meadows.
Whitney, Big Horn Platau, Forrester Pass, Bullfrog Lake and Kearsarge Pass are pretty impressive.

geek