PDA

View Full Version : Buying Alcohol Fuel

Lxandr90
12-29-2007, 22:28
I'm planning to thru-hike using an alcohol soda can stove, but I'm curious about how easy it is to obtain fuel in trail towns. Has anyone ever had a problem finding it? Everclear will not be an option for me as I will be a few years shy of drinking age next March.

Footslogger
12-29-2007, 22:44
Fuel for alcohol stoves is readliy available along the trail. If there is no hardward store in town look for a NAPA auto parts or other auto parts store and get some HEET (yellow container). Some supermarkets have a small automotive section and often carry the HEET as well. Many if not all the hostels have fuel for alcohol stove available for hikers.

Worry more about water and less about stove fuel ...

'Slogger

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2007, 22:53
Just make sure if you're buying HEET or other gas line antifreeze as fuel you get the Methyl alcohol(methanol), not the Ethyl alcohol(ethanol). The yellow HEET is methanol, the red is ethanol. Ethanol tends to soot and doesn't burn as hot. Read the ingredients on the bottle if in doubt.

oops56
12-29-2007, 23:09
91% rubbing alcohol will work ok wal mart has it. or drug stores

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2007, 00:45
http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm#Fuels

Tinker
12-30-2007, 02:09
91% rubbing alcohol will work ok wal mart has it. or drug stores
I loaned my supercat stove to a friend. He tried to use the 91% alcohol. He could not get it started. Temps were just below freezing. Maybe if he had kept the alcohol warm overnight it might have been a different story. I tried the 91% stuff after he told me this - it doesn't work as well as the stuff you buy in hardware stoves (in cold weather, at least).

91% is isopropyl alcohol
Hardware store stuff is methyl alcohol, I think.

Tinker
12-30-2007, 02:15
Or you can just read the above link.............:rolleyes: :o