PDA

View Full Version : Too late to start planning for a March 2008 start?

T.S.
12-30-2007, 01:33
Hi...newbie here. I'm glad I stumbled across this forum. I've been reading through threads for a couple hours and have already found loads of information.

Even though doing an AT thru-hike has long been in the back of my mind, it's never been something that I've seriously pursued, researched, or even considered. I'll be starting grad school next fall and it's just recently hit me that these next 8 months or so are potentially my last shot to do something like this, at least for a very long time.

From the reading on here that I've done so far, it does seem like a lot of people start planning their thru-hikes far in advance. But is it possible to pull it off within about two months?

Also, this might be kind of a broad question, but how do I figure out with some sort of certainty whether this will, in fact, be something that I'm even cut out for? Any specific reading recommendations? As excited as I am by the prospect of doing something like this, I'm also trying to be realistic and don't want to find myself standing in the woods a few months and a few thousand dollars from now wondering how the hell I managed to get myself in so far over my head.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Montego
12-30-2007, 01:39
Welcome to WhiteBlaze T.S. :welcome

rafe
12-30-2007, 01:46
From the reading on here that I've done so far, it does seem like a lot of people start planning their thru-hikes far in advance. But is it possible to pull it off within about two months?

A lot of people are anal. Some plan for months, some for years.

What's your backpacking and hiking experience? Do you have the gear? Do you have the funds to pull it off?

Short answer: Yes. Or at least it's not out of the question, if you've truly got your act together. Part of that act involves securing things on the home for the months that you'll be gone.

Almost There
12-30-2007, 01:51
Planning is overrated, if you want it to come together it will!

Smile
12-30-2007, 01:52
The articles on the opening page at WhiteBlaze.net are a great place to start and to learn about what is needed gear wise, basic planning, etc. A great resource to start with! :)

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2007, 01:54
Is it too late to go? No. You could go on one days notice. You/I could buy everything needed at REI, Campmor, EMS, etc, tommorrow and be on the trail tomorrow.
Do you really want to do it? Best to take a few trial hikes first. Thru-hiking is a romantic notion. But along with the joy comes seemingly endless cold, hot, wet, dry, bugs, sore, tired, hunger, starchy noodles, PUD's(pointless up and downs), MUD's(mindless up and downs), etc. Most find out pretty early in the hike that they really aren't cut out for it. ATC says 20% of attempting thru-hikers finish. I think it's less.

Ron Haven
12-30-2007, 01:57
There are many here who will answer your questions to help you along.

ATbound
12-30-2007, 05:59
You can do it! In fact, I'll be putting together my 'plan' just two days before I hit the trail. Although I've done a ton of research on the trail and on gear, I won't be back in the country until March 1, and I'll be starting the hike on the 3rd or 4th. Yes, it can be done. You can order a lot of gear online and read about the trail from this forum. I'm in a very similar situation as you, starting grad school in the fall and this is the perfect opportunity to do this. So just go for it.

Marta
12-30-2007, 07:06
For a lot of people, the extended planning phase has more to do with disentangling from the non-hiking life--saving money, arranging to be away from family responsibilities, quitting/retiring. While all that's going on, there's way more time to think about gear and whatnot than is really required.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

wrongway_08
12-30-2007, 10:01
You can pull it off. Get started now.

Do some small 3 day trips - look on the Hook-Up post, there are always some trips going on.

Check out the gear list on this forum - print out two or 3 and read over them. Also read the Gear review section, get an idea of what might work for you.

As long as you dont have this great idea in your head that every day will be fun, the weather will be always shinning on you and that when you wake up in the AM - all of yesterdays ouches will be gone - You'll do fine :)

Oh yea, the most important thing.......:welcome ... glad your here!!!!

SGT Rock
12-30-2007, 10:03
It really only takes about 24 hours to get ready for a hike - you have plenty of time. I've only taken about 10.25 years because I had to.

KG4FAM
12-30-2007, 10:03
Last year I did my first long distance hike from Springer to Damascus and decided a week before that I was doing it. I had been backpacking all the time in Boy Scouts so I had the prior experiance. Experiance and a guide book are all you need to get started.

Ryalch
12-30-2007, 10:33
I am in kind of the same position you are in right now. I am looking to start on the 1st of April once I have graduated from the college I am in right now. It will be the only time where I dont have anything tying me down and probably my best chance at going with a clear head and now worries. I would enjoy hearing how your process goes and when you plan to start.

Kirby
12-30-2007, 10:41
I am really doing all my major planning things over the next two months. I have only done research, purchased some gear, and went on a shakedown hike this summer. There are somethings one can not really plan until two months out such as your food plan.

Check out the articles section, great information.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
12-30-2007, 10:49

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2 months "planning" is plenty of time. getting gear together is biggest part. i've known people who planned for years then quit after a week on the trail and people who planned a week go on to finish and do it again.

i advise doing no mail drops except for maps, gear and the like. food is very easy to buy as you go. you don't need to do any "shakedown" hikes. DO NOT have an itinerary. it's just walking. go to springer mtn. and have at it.

rafe
12-30-2007, 10:58
The fallacy of education is assuming that what needs to be taught can necessarily be learned.

Nothing can really prepare you for the experience of a thru hike. I've seen strong, well-prepared folks quit early, and total dweebs make it to Katahdin.

"Success" at this game has as much to do with what's in your head as it does with external matters (gear, weather, trail conditions, etc.)

Obviously, success requires long-term good health (ie., avoiding serious illness or injury) and a minimum of gear and cash. Support from family and friends helps as well.

It doesn't hurt to have a bit of an idea of what you're getting into before you start. Google around for some AT journals and read a few.

Pedaling Fool
12-30-2007, 10:59
Is it too late to go? No. You could go on one days notice. You/I could buy everything needed at REI, Campmor, EMS, etc, tommorrow and be on the trail tomorrow.
Do you really want to do it? Best to take a few trial hikes first. Thru-hiking is a romantic notion. But along with the joy comes seemingly endless cold, hot, wet, dry, bugs, sore, tired, hunger, starchy noodles, PUD's(pointless up and downs), MUD's(mindless up and downs), etc. Most find out pretty early in the hike that they really aren't cut out for it. ATC says 20% of attempting thru-hikers finish. I think it's less.
Second that.
Reading something won't answer your question: "Am I cut-out for this". Just need to do some practice hikes and if you feel you're cut-out, then go for it. If not, there's always the opportunity to do a shorter hike, such as from Springer to Damascus, or whatever...

Lone Wolf
12-30-2007, 11:01
no need to do "practice hikes".

rafe
12-30-2007, 11:09
no need to do "practice hikes".

But what would be the point of discouraging them?

You keep refering to a thru-hike as a "marathon." In that case, doesn't it make sense to do some short runs first?

Lone Wolf
12-30-2007, 11:10
not really. no.

SGT Rock
12-30-2007, 11:11
Sure it does - so you can go out and cahce some moonshine along the trail north of Springer.

rickb
12-30-2007, 11:16
no need to do practice hikes.

True. What you need to do are test hikes. Not so much for your gear, but simply to see if carrying a pack for the better part of a day is something you believe you can tough out. No need to be physically strong from the start, but you got to buy into the reality of a hike from early on, IMO. Rick

weary
12-30-2007, 11:24
2 months "planning" is plenty of time. getting gear together is biggest part. i've known people who planned for years then quit after a week on the trail and people who planned a week go on to finish and do it again.

i advise doing no mail drops except for maps, gear and the like. food is very easy to buy as you go. you don't need to do any "shakedown" hikes. DO NOT have an itinerary. it's just walking. go to springer mtn. and have at it.
I agree mostly with Lone Wolf, though a bit of backpacking experience is useful for deciding whether this kind of just walking is something you really want to do.

More important than gear is a desire to enjoy the trail -- it's plants, flowers, trees, wildlife, bugs. Just walking can be pretty boring. It helps if you have a bit of knowledge and curiosity about the trail and the trail environment.

Some complain about the boring "long green tunnel." But that tunnel has many fascinating things if you have the ability to see and learn what it has to offer.

I would spend my two months mostly in reading about the great things that can be seen on the trail besides the occasional great views.

Think also about a late March, early April start -- especially if you are new to backpacking. The trail offers enough hardships without adding full winter conditions unnecessarily. Plus a later start offers you the best of the southern Appalachians. It will be cold on the ridges through most of April, but spring returns with each dip in the trail to lower elevations.

Weary

Smile
12-30-2007, 11:35
For me, shakedowns are imperative - whether in the backyard or on a overnight in your local State Park, especially if you are starting in spring when it's a little colder or have a lot of new gear ( which is sounds like you would have), have to be sure you have the right gear for warmth and safety.

Better to be sure you can use your stove, water purifying system, etc if you do it once or twice, better a wet bag in a crappy tent in the backyard than in the 'backcountry'

Otherwise, just get out there and walk as suggested!

:)

Bearpaw
12-30-2007, 12:17
I was one of those guys who planned for about 5 months before I began. I made it. My friend Hyper Heidi planned for a total of 9 days and hiked with borrowed gear. She also made it.

Study up on this site, get a couple of guidebooks and maps to figure out your best resupply points, test out your gear, and get out there. If you'ved got the time off, go have a great time with it!

Kirby
12-30-2007, 12:54
Check out Jack's resupply article in the articles section. I originally planned a mail drop based hike, but I have decided to plan as I go, and Jack's article, from what people tell me, makes that pretty easy to do.

Kirby

max patch
12-30-2007, 13:00

Yes.

I quit my job and did all my "planning" at night over 2 weeks at night as I worked off my notice. And this was pre internet.

rafe
12-30-2007, 13:08
And this was pre internet.

Isn't it amazing... folks actually managed to get from GA to ME before the internet. It boggles the mind. ;) :D :eek: :)

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2007, 13:18
Isn't it amazing... folks actually managed to get from GA to ME before the internet. It boggles the mind. ;) :D :eek: :)

Yeah, but that was back when the trail was analog in the days of Ed Garvey. Poor Earl Shaeffer really missed out, as his hike was in black and white.

dessertrat
12-30-2007, 13:28
You could do it on a week's notice, or less. Ask someone for a gear list from their thru-hike, and then go buy every item on it or a functional equivalent.

It might not be gear you would have chosen if you had had more time, but it will work, and if you really hate any of it, you can ditch it and buy something else at one of the outfitters you will pass.

As far as getting in shape-- if you are going to try getting in shape before you go-- then two months is plenty of time, if you buckle down and work at it. Look at what the Marines and Army accomplish with new recruits in a few weeks time. Failing that, you can always just start off slow and get in shape as you go.

max patch
12-30-2007, 13:40

I remember this exchange somewhere in NC with a couple other thrus I happened to come upon:

Other hikers: We're going to hitch ahead to Damascus for Trail Days. Wanna come?

Me: Whats Trail Days?

It was kinda nice not knowing "everything" about the trail and towns before I actually got there.

rafe
12-30-2007, 13:53
I remember this exchange somewhere in NC with a couple other thrus I happened to come upon:

Other hikers: We're going to hitch ahead to Damascus for Trail Days. Wanna come?

Me: Whats Trail Days?

It was kinda nice not knowing "everything" about the trail and towns before I actually got there.

I first met Ward Leonard coming down off Little Hump Mtn. near Rte. 19 E. I stepped aside so he could pass me, and then a few minutes later we met again at some watering hole where Ward was filling a water bottle. I asked him (innocently and naively) "What's your name?" I wasn't kidding or being rude. I assumed he was just another hiker.

He turned toward me and gave me the strangest stare... and after some silence, he said, "You should know." It was at that moment that I realized I was dealing with a very peculiar person... and one that I was not going to like.

Blissful
12-30-2007, 13:54
If you want to do it, do it. Most people have to get off because they get injured, run out of money or lose interest. Hard to know about injury - suffice it to say, something somewhere along the way is gonna bug you (foot, joint, etc). Money is something some need to plan for but others have it already. And interest is mental.

I had to plan because I was older, had obligations on the homefront, and had a teenage son in tow.

Pedaling Fool
12-30-2007, 14:06
I first met Ward Leonard coming down off Little Hump Mtn. near Rte. 19 E. I stepped aside so he could pass me, and then a few minutes later we met again at some watering hole where Ward was filling a water bottle. I asked him (innocently and naively) "What's your name?" I wasn't kidding or being rude. I assumed he was just another hiker.

He turned toward me and gave me the strangest stare... and after some silence, he said, "You should know." It was at that moment that I realized I was dealing with a very peculiar person... and one that I was not going to like.
I keep hearing this guy's name, but I don't know who he is?

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2007, 14:11

I've never met him so the following is hearsay. AKA, Spooky Boy. Superhiker/trailrunner. Basically lived on the trail. Thrued some 10 times? Aggresive toward many people. Occupation IRL? Unknown.

One of those...

dessertrat
12-30-2007, 14:11

Wow. That's what one calls a shockingly inflated ego, or a very weird sense of humor.

rafe
12-30-2007, 14:14

For some time, Ward held (or perhaps still holds) the record time for an unsupported AT through-hike. He was well-known to most through-hikers in '89 and '90, since he blew through the herd multiple times each year... leaving a trail of woe and discontent in his wake.

hopefulhiker
12-30-2007, 14:18
I think that you have plenty of time too..

If you are out of shape the trail will get you in shape.. I would look at some gear lists and watch the gear forum, ebay and other sites for some good light used gear..

You can switch out gear later at Neels Gap or somewhere...

The hardest part is getting the logistics of your regular life in order to go, your affairs in order so to speak..... like family stuff.. try to get someone to keep track of you and send you stuff if you need it..

Get a set of used AT maps and the Companinon from the ATC... You will be ready to go in no time!

Lone Wolf
12-30-2007, 14:22
It was at that moment that I realized I was dealing with a very peculiar person... and one that I was not going to like.

i first met Ward in 89 at Plumorchard gap shelter. I liked him immediately

weary
12-30-2007, 17:55
Wow. That's what one calls a shockingly inflated ego, or a very weird sense of humor.
Neither is true.
Ward has a different mind than most people. His sense of reality differs at times from that of the common run of people. That makes him neither right, nor wrong. Just different.

I've been thinking about Ward for the past week, as the grandson who had hiked Maine with me 16 years ago, came for a visit. We had met Ward in the 100-mile-wilderness. My grandson, then nine, had had difficulty learning to read. For that reason folks sometimes perceived him as different also.

But Ward perceived a different reality. "Is that your grandson," he demanded.

"Yup," I replied."

"Good," Ward said. "He's the first person I've met on this trail who is bright enough for me to talk to."

Weary

rafe
12-30-2007, 18:05

"Yup," I replied."

"Good," Ward said. "He's the first person I've met on this trail who is bright enough for me to talk to."

What was it that your grandson said that so impressed Ward? :-?

bigboots
12-30-2007, 18:08
You could do it on a week's notice, or less. Ask someone for a gear list from their thru-hike, and then go buy every item on it or a functional equivalent.

WHAT!!!! I agree that you can use exactly (or close) to what someone else used as a gear list. You need to have some knowledge of the outdoors and dealing with what is out there. Granted its not the most remote trail in the world but you still need to have an idea of the miles you're covering and the basic hell you will be forcing yourself into without a certain ammount of knowledge.

Ok that's all from me...for now.

Bigboots

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2007, 18:09
Neither is true.
Ward has a different mind than most people. His sense of reality differs at times from that of the common run of people. That makes him neither right, nor wrong. Just different.

My understanding is that he doesn't take his meds as prescribed for his mental illness and he gets in trouble as a result because he gets aggressive and abusive with people. You may find that just different, the court apparently found it wrong on at least one occurance. Just FWIW.

Tin Man
12-30-2007, 18:11
WHAT!!!! I agree that you can use exactly (or close) to what someone else used as a gear list. You need to have some knowledge of the outdoors and dealing with what is out there. Granted its not the most remote trail in the world but you still need to have an idea of the miles you're covering and the basic hell you will be forcing yourself into without a certain ammount of knowledge.

Ok that's all from me...for now.

Bigboots

What? You never crammed for a final?

rafe
12-30-2007, 18:22
Folks "add value" to their hikes by planning. I suspect (or maybe I'm projecting...) that one reason for this is to make their hikes too valuable to abandon. I don't mean to say that all planning is bad. But one can go too far.

SGT Rock
12-30-2007, 18:27
I'm guilty of that. But when you have to wait 10 years between decision and start date you may as well do something.

bigboots
12-30-2007, 18:30
What? You never crammed for a final?

That I have done, and I was fine for the day I had to remember the limmited ammount of info, but there is a lot of stuff to know...and remember for 6 months. Granted a lot will be learned on the trail as one goes, but one would be wise to have some additional knowledge before heading out.

Bigboots

Tin Man
12-30-2007, 18:37
That I have done, and I was fine for the day I had to remember the limmited ammount of info, but there is a lot of stuff to know...and remember for 6 months. Granted a lot will be learned on the trail as one goes, but one would be wise to have some additional knowledge before heading out.

Bigboots

Indeed. The results of studying in advance can be proportional to long term knowledge retention, useful for an exam as well as a hike.

Pedaling Fool
12-30-2007, 18:42
Folks "add value" to their hikes by planning. I suspect (or maybe I'm projecting...) that one reason for this is to make their hikes too valuable to abandon. I don't mean to say that all planning is bad. But one can go too far.
For me, it wasn't to add value, rather I couldn't wait to start, so this was a way to work-off that impatient energy, or to experience the trail in a visceral way.

Maple
12-30-2007, 18:45
I raised my children without reading a book. One of the best learning tools is experience itself. My children survived and are now all adults. Could I have improved anything by reading? Probably. Did it really matter? Not in the long run of things.

Kirby
12-30-2007, 19:57
Planning has kept me motivated. I purposefully made it so that if I was ever feeling like my hike was going to collapse, there was a small task I could do related to my trip to get me back in the spirit. It is kind of nice. The mentality of everyone around me has changed as well, it went from "is school letting you go?", to "how many days until you leave". Also, I got passed along to me Rock's very detailed spreadsheet, I have emptied it on my computer, and I fill it in on bad days. Planning for my thru gives me a good feeling.

I am now in the home stretch, 58 days and a wake up. Rock has something like 26 or 27 and a wake up I believe.

For the class of 2008, this is a restless time of year.

Springer fever is upon us,
Kirby

Lone Wolf
12-30-2007, 20:09
Planning has kept me motivated. I purposefully made it so that if I was ever feeling like my hike was going to collapse, there was a small task I could do related to my trip to get me back in the spirit. It is kind of nice. The mentality of everyone around me has changed as well, it went from "is school letting you go?", to "how many days until you leave". Also, I got passed along to me Rock's very detailed spreadsheet, I have emptied it on my computer, and I fill it in on bad days. Planning for my thru gives me a good feeling.

I am now in the home stretch, 58 days and a wake up. Rock has something like 26 or 27 and a wake up I believe.

For the class of 2008, this is a restless time of year.

Springer fever is upon us,
Kirby

you've got it made. you're not leaving a wife, children, job. you have no bills and obviously access to unlimited cash. you've got nothing to be restless about :)

dessertrat
12-30-2007, 20:14
Neither is true.

I've been thinking about Ward for the past week, as the grandson who had hiked Maine with me 16 years ago, came for a visit. We had met Ward in the 100-mile-wilderness. My grandson, then nine, had had difficulty learning to read. For that reason folks sometimes perceived him as different also.

"Yup," I replied."

Weary

Oh, so he's one of those "I'm smarter than everyone else" people. Well, having gone to a couple of colleges where I met those guys frequently, and having outscored a lot of those gasbags when the rubber met the road, I am not impressed. I think what we are talking about, still, is an enormously inflated ego. And that makes him wrong.

I am hearing talk of mental illness here, and from what you are saying, along with what others are saying, that would not suprise me. It is not a crime to be mentally ill, but neither is it admirable.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2007, 20:18
he's a paranoid schizophrenic and the toughest hiker i've ever met. he had no ego.

dessertrat
12-30-2007, 20:21
he's a paranoid schizophrenic and the toughest hiker i've ever met. he had no ego.

Why then would he say to someone "you should know", when asked his name?

bigboots
12-30-2007, 20:22
you've got nothing to be restless about :)

Except excitement for hitting the trail!

Bigboots

Kirby
12-30-2007, 20:34
you've got it made. you're not leaving a wife, children, job. you have no bills and obviously access to unlimited cash. you've got nothing to be restless about :)

Not true. I am going to need to be careful with how I spend my money. Do I have access to enough money so that I am at the point where I feel I can comfortably get from Springer to Katahdin? Yes. Do I have access to unlimited money? No.:)

Kirby

Kirby
12-30-2007, 20:35
Except excitement for hitting the trail!

Bigboots

Exactly.:banana

Kirby

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2007, 21:22
Why then would he say to someone "you should know", when asked his name?

The guy has schizophrenia. He's mentally ill. As in distorsion of reality, delusion, fantasy, paranoia, etc. I would probably be accurate in guessing that his obsessive hiking is partly due to not being able to function in society or handle social interaction. It's an escape to perhaps the only world he can manage successfully.

rafe
12-30-2007, 21:27
I am hearing talk of mental illness here, and from what you are saying, along with what others are saying, that would not suprise me. It is not a crime to be mentally ill, but neither is it admirable.

Intellectual snob -- no, that's not Ward's problem. But you heard right about the mental illness. What I do know firsthand is that he left a negative impression with many of the hikers with whom he interacted. Enough to inspire a song at the Trail Days talent show in 1990.

In a way, it says good things about the AT. Ward stands out so starkly because the vast majority of folks on the trail (and especially those out for really long walks, IMO) are truly good people.

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2007, 21:45
I feel sorry for the guy. We all have our little mental issues. But obviously his severely limit his life. I empathsize, but that doesn't mean I want to spend a lot of time around such people though. My brother in law has similar problems. Took him in once for several months when he was living in his car. What I found out is that there's a reason these people are living in their cars - they're as George Carlin puts it, wackaloons. I tried to help him straighten himself out. Once. NEVER, EVER, again.