PDA

View Full Version : Novice Florida hiker seeking partners

ieraseu
12-30-2007, 01:47
Hello my name is Jose,

I am interested finding other hikers to possibly get together with in S. Florida for 2 or 3 day weekend hikes ( I typically have every Friday, Sat and Sunday off of work). I am a very novice hiker to Florida, in fact I am not famliar with the trails here at all. It would therefore be very beneficial for me to find someone a bit more seasoned in this regard. I am particularly interested in taking part in some small 2 or 3 day 'thru-hikes' and working my way up to some bigger hikes as my physical condition improves.

I would currently rate myself as being able to do roughly 10 miles per day, or just slightly above that. If you are a 20+ miles per day hiker, I do not think I could keep up with you, at least not at this point in time. I do have some experience 'hiking' and in the outdoors, however it is not of a conventional nature (military, ex-marine). I plan to be 'get out there' very soon, so it would be great to have some company. I would like to encourage anyone interested in joining me to feel free to contact me via e-mail. Thank you for reading.

Stump46
12-30-2007, 15:49
Jose -
Check out the Florida Trail Association. There's a chapter in your area. There's lots of great hiking on the Florida trail!

ieraseu
12-30-2007, 16:10
It sounds like a great trail, I have been reading their website.

Mercy
12-30-2007, 17:25
Jose,

What about as far up as Ocala National Forest? You could drive up after work on Thurday (there are camping areas you can reach by car) and then hike Friday, Saturday, and part of Sunday before driving home.

If we name a date and place, others would probably meet up.

Linda

ieraseu
12-30-2007, 18:13
Hi Linda,

I'd definitely be willing to do that. I want to see if I can 'field test' my gear next weekend somewhere close to home (since it's new in box at this point), but anytime after that I would be willing to head out wherever.

ofthearth
01-01-2008, 11:07
Hello,
Have been doing some hikes checking out new gear as well - from Gold Head down into the Ocala area. Would be interested in going either north form Gold Head or south from
Faries Prairie. South would probably be a nicer hike with less road walking (maps 20-21).

Jose what did you do when you were in?

Good hiking in 08!

ofthearth

Stump46
01-05-2008, 23:05
There's a 70 mile/7 day hike planned by the Florida Trail Association for 2/16 - 2/23. I'm not sure where it will be - I think around the Suwannee River. I'm sure you can join for just the first weekend of it. About 15 of us did this last year in the Ocala - it was a good way for folks to shake down equipment, talk to those of us with AT experience, etc. Details are at: http://www.floridatrail.org/documents/activities.pdf

Hammock Hanger
01-05-2008, 23:59
There's a 70 mile/7 day hike planned by the Florida Trail Association for 2/16 - 2/23. I'm not sure where it will be - I think around the Suwannee River. I'm sure you can join for just the first weekend of it. About 15 of us did this last year in the Ocala - it was a good way for folks to shake down equipment, talk to those of us with AT experience, etc. Details are at: http://www.floridatrail.org/documents/activities.pdf

It is actually going to be frther south then the Suwannee. Closer to the southern end of the Ocala towards the Greenway. Deb Blick from the FTA Office is heading up this hike.

Cowgirl
02-03-2008, 21:36
You need trails closer to you in South Florida without a huge drive.

I'd love to Hike Big Cypress but that swamp is a bit intimidating. I would want to go with someone with experience as well. I bet right now is a perfect time to be there.

Hammock Hanger
02-03-2008, 23:37
You need trails closer to you in South Florida without a huge drive.

I'd love to Hike Big Cypress but that swamp is a bit intimidating. I would want to go with someone with experience as well. I bet right now is a perfect time to be there.

There are many trails in South FL. Get in touch with the FL Trail Association. Check their website www.floridatrail.org (http://www.floridatrail.org) there is a spot that shows all the activities. See what is happening in your area and go join them, you do not always have to be a member. I think they may do swamp tromps in Feb or March, that is when the bromilads are in bloom.

Also check out the Ocean to Lake hike. It is a week of hiking @12 m/p/d with a group and leader. This is a great hike.

Sue

Hammock Hanger
02-03-2008, 23:38
Also you can check with the Oasis Ranger Station they do group hikes through the swamp.

BIO
03-10-2008, 23:01
I am a member of Florida Trail Association and Appalachian Trail Association. I have a small hiking group that does local hikes in the Everglades. We are doing an overnighter in Big Cypress this weekend. Also, I am doing a 4-day section hike on the Appalachian Trail in late May and am seeking a hiking partner. Are you interested? Please read my thread in this forum dated 3/7/2008 for details, then let me know.

MagicSFK
04-06-2008, 20:24
I'm looking to hike/camp in the South FL area too...starting with some short weekend trips.

Hey...does anybody know?....there used to be a store in West Palm Beach called "Backpackers"...but I think it may have closed or gone out of business. Can anybody enlighten me?

geyerpd
05-25-2008, 11:03
In early June I am driving from Tallahassee to the AT in Georga. I can take riders or hike with someone. Let me know.

[email protected]

Paul