PDA

View Full Version : 50 mile trip for Boy Scouts in April

SteveJ
12-30-2007, 13:19
Hi, all. I'm helping plan a 50 mile trip for the 2nd week of April. We're taking a group of Boy Scouts that are going to Philmont this summer on a shakedown hike. We could just do a 50 mile section in GA (we're in Gwinnett County), but I'm wondering if we could do a hike further north where we won't be hiking on the AT at the same time as the big group of thru-hikers that start in early April.

There was another thread about a 50-mile hike, and several recommended going through the Grayson Highlands area. I've never been there - it looks like a really neat hike the boys would enjoy. Would it be too early to take the boys in this area? It looks like the average elevation is around 4,000 feet - what are the odds of having snow / ice in early April? If you think it's doable, where would you recommend we put on / take off?

Other ideas that would be scenic / doable in early April?

Thanks!

Steve

OregonHiker
12-30-2007, 13:57
have fun at Philmont. What area?

KG4FAM
12-30-2007, 14:05
You could do part of the BMT if you wanted to avoid the crowd and stay closer to home.

Ghosthiker
12-30-2007, 14:20
SteveJ,

I agree, do the BMT. Look at the area around No. Georgia into Tennessee. Such as starting in the Cohutta area and going through Big Frog. A troop here in Cherokee County used teh Cohutta area for their training runs.

FatMan
12-30-2007, 14:40
You might want to consider the Foothills Trail. It is about 60 miles from Table Rock to Burrells Ford. You will have the trail to yourselves, the temps will be a bit mildler, and you will see signs of spring the first week of April. The scenery is fantastic.

jesse
12-30-2007, 15:40
I hope to do a couple of sections on the BMT this year. Where the BMT crosses Hwy 76 (about 5 miles south of Blue Ridge) to Amacola State Park is 56 miles.

SteveJ
12-30-2007, 16:10
Thanks for the suggestions, all. I had thought about the BMAT and the Foothills trail - when I brought them up to the Scoutmaster, was told that the boys really want to hike on the AT - will try again...

Oregonhike - not sure where they're going. I'm not making this trip - my middle son is moving on (WARNING - THREAD DRIFT - he reports to either West Point or Annapolis on July 1st. Have I mentioned lately that I'm proud of him? :D He has appointments to both, and is trying to decide which route he wants to go....currently leaning USMA [they're recruiting him as an athlete, and he really likes the idea of the 6-week Beast, which he hears is a lot tougher than Navy...go figure!]. He has a candidate visit weekend at USNA in February...). Youngest is only 12, so not yet old enough to go to Philmont. He really wants to go on the 50 mile shakedown trip, so he and I are tagging along; I'm also assisting the SM in planning.....

So, back to original question - is Grayson Highlands doable for a group of Boy Scouts in early April? ;)

OregonHiker
12-30-2007, 19:55
Oregonhike - not sure where they're going.

Too bad. Iwent in '06 and am returning in '09. Ran into a crew from Atlanta.

Had a great time and the lighting struck only 150' from us. Had a kid later take a picture with a flash out of the corner of my eye. The kids thought it was pretty funny when I hit the deck.:cool:

bigboots
12-30-2007, 20:08
I just heard from my former scoutmaster that Philmont is going to start to requier at least one adult have the "Philmot" wilderness first aid training. He said the training session nearest Cleveland, OH was $160!:eek: I haven't been able to verify this info yet but I have no reason to doubt him. Anyone hear such rumers?

Bigboots

littlelaurel59
12-30-2007, 22:29
So, back to original question - is Grayson Highlands doable for a group of Boy Scouts in early April? ;)

Dickey Gap south to Damascus, through the Highlands is right at 50 miles. I led a group of scouts on that route last summer, and we had a great time. People tend to argue intensely whether it or the Roan Highlands is the most beautiful section of the southern AT.

The elevation there tops out at over 5000 ft. The weather is unpredictable any time of year, especially in the swing seasons. Last year, the highlands were covered in snow at that time. Some years, it will be cool but free of snow and ice. You should certainly be prepared for winter if you go. There are lots of places to bail out if you need to.

If you have older scouts in good physical condition, with plenty of winter experience, and appropriate winter gear you should be OK. Personally, I would not want to do it with just any group of scouts. If you are not sure, I would have a back up plan and watch the weather report for White Top, VA closely. There are several White Blazers who live in the Damascus area who might be good resources. Good luck.

SteveJ
12-30-2007, 23:06
Too bad. Iwent in '06 and am returning in '09. Ran into a crew from Atlanta.

Had a great time and the lighting struck only 150' from us. Had a kid later take a picture with a flash out of the corner of my eye. The kids thought it was pretty funny when I hit the deck.:cool:

I'm hoping for a Philmont trip in 2010, if my 12-yr old is still interested. My older 2 weren't - I did take the oldest to BWCWA, through the northern tier program. 12-yr old finished his backpacking merit badge requirements before he was 12, and loves it, so I'm hopeful!

I just heard from my former scoutmaster that Philmont is going to start to requier at least one adult have the "Philmot" wilderness first aid training. He said the training session nearest Cleveland, OH was $160!:eek: I haven't been able to verify this info yet but I have no reason to doubt him. Anyone hear such rumers?

Bigboots

I just checked the Philmont Planning Guide - there is a new first aid requirement:

http://www.scouting.org/philmont/camping/guide.pdf

FIRST AID AND CPR CERTIFICATION REQUIRED (Note – NEW REQUIREMENT – 2008)

Philmont requires that at least one person, preferably two, (either an advisor or a youth participant) in each crew be currently certified in American Red Cross Wilderness First Aid or the equivalent* and CPR from the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross or the equivalent. The American Red Cross Wilderness First Aid is a sixteen hour course designed to help in situations when help is not readily available. Several hours may be required for Philmont staff to reach a remote backcountry location after a message is delivered to the nearest staffed camp. First aid and CPR training will result in proper and prompt attention being given to injuries and/or illn esses.

Our Scoutmaster is a Fire Chief, and has been an EMT for over 20 yrs, so don't think this has affected him - I think he or his wife (who's also going on the trip) and one of our Ass't SM's did just attend a weekend Wilderness First Aid training that our council put on. I guess if your council isn't providing this training, and you have to pick it up elsewhere, that it could be pretty expensive.....

Dickey Gap south to Damascus, through the Highlands is right at 50 miles. I led a group of scouts on that route last summer, and we had a great time.
<clip>If you have older scouts in good physical condition, with plenty of winter experience, and appropriate winter gear you should be OK. Personally, I would not want to do it with just any group of scouts. If you are not sure, I would have a back up plan and watch the weather report for White Top, VA closely. There are several White Blazers who live in the Damascus area who might be good resources. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ramble~On
12-31-2007, 00:36
Hey SteveJ..

I spent many rewarding summers guiding backpacking/whitewater trips with Camp Daniel Boone, NC. The 50 Miler Afoot/Afloat is one of their most popular treks. Western North Carolina has dozens of trail options for 50 mile jaunts.
The Art Loeb Trail combined with sections of the Mountains to Sea Trail and other wilderness trails provides scenery and a Boy Scout camp to use as a basecamp. Contact the Daniel Boone Council @ www.danielboonecouncil.org (http://www.danielboonecouncil.org)

The Lakeshore Trail in GSMNP can be combined with the AT/BMT or wilderness trails in the Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock Creek area. The 35+ miles of the Lakeshore Trail offer scenery & history while at the same time aren't as strenuous as some other area trails.

And......Fatman beat me to it but I second him on the Foothills Trail.
Table Rock to Oconee SP is 76 miles...This would be a great week.

Nearly Normal
12-31-2007, 10:46
Foothills Trail.
Start at Bad Creek (secure parking), at Sloan Bridge take the Fork Mountain Spur trail to the Chattooga River. The river section will be a big hit with the scouts.
Ellicott's Rock is in the river and where SC, NC, and Ga tri-corner. Finish at Oconee State Park (secure parking with shower facilities).

This section of the trail is just hard or easy enough to really enjoy.
I assure you the scouts will love it.
No shelters. Trail well defined and/or marked. Waterfalls.
Get the guide and map.

Contact me and I can give you contacts in the area.

SteveJ
12-31-2007, 11:29
Thanks for the advice, guys.....will talk to the SM about it. Bonus is that a 2 hr drive to the FT or 3 hrs to SMNP is a lot better than a 6 hr drive to VA!

booney_1
12-31-2007, 23:36
I am a scout leader in NC. I would avoid Grayson Highlands. I assume you are going on spring break (around easter). Easter is "early" this year, so your break is probably the first week in April. There would be a good chance of really bad weather (cold/snowy).

A 50 miler we did two years ago is from Sam's Gap south to Hot Springs.
This is fairly strenuous, but camping sites are good and there is lots of water.
A shuttle can be easily arranged out of Hot Springs if you need one. There is a parking lot at Sam's Gap also. There are a couple of Road crossings
(allen gap may be best positioned) where you could park a car with your mid-trip food supply. Although our group did it easily enough carrying food for the whole trip.

If your guys can do this hike...then Philmont will be a snap. There are several hard climbs. Notably, south from Devils Fork Gap, and south of Allen Gap.

have a good time!

Ghosthiker
01-01-2008, 07:10
when I brought them up to the Scoutmaster, was told that the boys really want to hike on the AT - will try again...

Since it was brought up about the time of your trip being the same time period as a lot of the NOBO's, use this as a way to discuss trail impact issues of bigger groups on the trail.