PDA

View Full Version : Couple Thru-hikers needing advice

Stewis
12-30-2007, 13:20
So here´s the run down: a friend and I are both nineteen and in good shape, with a decent amount of backpacking experience, but no experience on the the AT (as we are from Portland Oregon). All the publications I´ve read say to plan between 5 and 7 months to complete the trail, however, looking over the mileage and elevation our calculations come to a little over three months. I am wondering if the 5 to 7 months estimate is mostly Bill Bryson and the older (and thus much tougher, props to all yall with the guts to go it later in life) croud, or if there is something we are missing? Have any of you out there done it in under four months? what was that like? We are planning on starting around April 23rd and finishing around the end of August (in time for school).

Also, we are wondering about the amount of pre-planning food takes. We´ve read through the thru-hiker´s companion and data book 2007, and it looks like there are enough grocery stores along the way to mostly wing it, but we´ve also considered mailing our food. Any advice about food prep, general prep, or life in general would be greatly appreciated?

rafe
12-30-2007, 13:24
Four months is doable if you're young, fit, smart, and highly motivated. But it will involve something around 20 miles per day, long-term average. Which is no easy feat on the AT. What makes the AT a bitch isn't necessarily its length -- but the sheer amount of vertical involved.

I loved his book, but please... don't use Bryson as a "lesson" on doing the AT. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Pedaling Fool
12-30-2007, 13:27
I do maildrops because I like my dehydrated foods, I always have fresh fruits, vegetable and jerky, but you can do a thru-hike, and many have, without a single maildrop.
4 months is not a extremely tough schedule, very doable for 20-somethings.

Pedaling Fool
12-30-2007, 13:32
... What makes the AT a bitch isn't necessarily its length -- but the sheer amount of vertical involved...
Good point. A thru-hike involves something like 91 miles of ascents/descents. That's a lot of Mt Everest hikes.

Blissful
12-30-2007, 13:48
You can do it in four if all you want to do is hike. But it will get old fast. Some do that to make deadlines for school, or other obligations or to make some personal record. I guess it depends on you and your motivation. But it will also take a lot of enjoyment out of it, IMO.

I have talked to a number of westerners who agree that the AT is much more difficult than the PCT. Don't underestimate it.

Kirby
12-30-2007, 13:53
I plan on taking around 5-6 months for my trip, I just need to make sure I am done by the firsy week of September. The note my dad is writing for me(in case I have a run in with local authorities) will state that his authorization for my hike expires the day before my first day of my senior year in high school.

Kirby

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2007, 13:53
There is something you may be missing. One is overestimating your ability based soley upon your age, and assuming that older hikers are by nature slow. The old farts who do successfully thru-hike tend to be experienced hikers and are as "hiking fit" by week 6 as the youngsters. You'll lose time to resupply, weather, and fatigue - but mostly just due to trail conditions. The footing on the AT can be very difficult. There are some area where the trail is somewhat "groomed" or worn to easy walking condition, and you are just walking, but a lot(most) of it requires really watching how and where you put your feet. Get reckless through PA for example and you'll sprain an ankle in no time. Also both the beginning and end sections of the AT have a lot of up and down elevation change, and your mileage will be less in these sections.

If you start April 23 and end August 23 you have roughly 120 days. Given that you'll have to resupply on average every 5 days, and do laundry, catch a shower, a town meal, etc, you'll lose on average a half a day minimum each time or roughly 10%. So now you've got 108 days IF you take absolutely no zeros, which is very unlikely. Best estimate is you'll have to cover the 2175 miles in 100 hiking days(your "a little over 3 month" estimate), or roughly 22 miles per day.

Can you do it in that time? Yes. But just be humble and realize it's a tall order even for a young hiker in good shape. You'll be pressured to make lots of miles every day and have little time for anything else.

clured
12-30-2007, 13:54
Last summer I did exactly what you are planning to do; I turned 20 on the trail. I finished in 84 days, which I think is around 26 mpd. 4 months is easy for young people, especially if you are athletic and have experience. 3 months is probably right on target. Pack light, walk long and smooth, and wear DEET in New England (I lost four days to Lyme Disease).

If you need to move fast, food drops are a bad idea. I showed up at Springer with my pack and the data book, and never had any problem whatsoever getting food. Wherever there is a post office, there is also a store that sells food.

dessertrat
12-30-2007, 13:57
So here´s the run down: a friend and I are both nineteen and in good shape, with a decent amount of backpacking experience, but no experience on the the AT (as we are from Portland Oregon). All the publications I´ve read say to plan between 5 and 7 months to complete the trail, however, looking over the mileage and elevation our calculations come to a little over three months.

I think the five to seven months estimate is for people who plan to do it like many thrus seem to do it-- going from shelter to shelter, and camping in a social environment, and also spending some time in towns, rather than simply hiking from near dawn til near dark every day, and pitching camp when it gets dark. It seems like people who hike with determination to make miles, and who ignore stopping just because "this is the last shelter and/or water source we can make it to today" usually do it in around four months. (Earl Shaffer's first hike was four months, and his second, 99 days).

Keep in mind that the AT isn't just long, and it isn't just hilly. There are a lot of sections that are slow going because of roots and rocks, and being in good physical shape is not necessarily going to speed you up on those sections, which require agility and strong ankles more than cardio fitness.

Bearpaw
12-30-2007, 14:02
If you are in fantastic shape and are pretty anti-social, you could possibly manage it it 3 months, but it would likely be a fairly miserable experience.

I took 171 days in 1999, right out of the Marine Corps. I started in great shape and was surprised at how difficult Georgia was. I also took two weeks off to attend a friend's wedding in the middle of the hike. So I could have managed five months without that break.

If I had chosen to push I might have even managed 4 - 4 1/2 months, but I really enjoyed the time I spent with friends out on the trail, many of whom I still stay in contact with today. If you're doing a typical NOBO hike, social factors definitely play a role in your experience. They will likely slow you down, but this is generally a GOOD part of the experience, not a detractor.

Consider at least five months. Three would be miserable, maybe impossible depending on mental/emotional issues (like getting fed up with such long days back to back), and four, while doable, still creates a pressure that can wear on you after a while.

Have fun.

And consider the PCT instead ;) .

rafe
12-30-2007, 14:11
Last summer I did exactly what you are planning to do; I turned 20 on the trail. I finished in 84 days, which I think is around 26 mpd. 4 months is easy for young people, especially if you are athletic and have experience. 3 months is probably right on target. Pack light, walk long and smooth, and wear DEET in New England (I lost four days to Lyme Disease).

Clured, if you're being truthful, then I am truthfully impressed. OTOH, your speed on the trail puts you in the top 0.5 or 0.25 percentile for speed. The median/average rate for most thrus is about half of your 26 miles/day figure.

If I heard right, Ken Berry was the first thru-hiker to finish in 2006, and it took him about four months, averaging about 20 miles per day.

As for 4 months being "easy" for young people... well, I wouldn't know, but I still kinda doubt it. Most young people I know like to party about as much as they like to hike.

Marta
12-30-2007, 14:34
So here´s the run down: a friend and I are both nineteen and in good shape, with a decent amount of backpacking experience, but no experience on the the AT (as we are from Portland Oregon). All the publications I´ve read say to plan between 5 and 7 months to complete the trail, however, looking over the mileage and elevation our calculations come to a little over three months. I am wondering if the 5 to 7 months estimate is mostly Bill Bryson and the older (and thus much tougher, props to all yall with the guts to go it later in life) croud, or if there is something we are missing? Have any of you out there done it in under four months? what was that like? We are planning on starting around April 23rd and finishing around the end of August (in time for school).

A couple of guys your age started SOBO the same day I did. One of them finished a fairly fast hike (around four months); the other was off the Trail at White House Landing (four days into his hike) with a knee injury.

4.5 to 5 months is a pretty normal length of time for people your age to take. There's a lot of jack-rabbitting--long days followed by a number of zeroes in order to rest/heal.

3 months is fast even for the young. Not at all impossible, but definitely hard.

To me the question is: Do you want to wake up every day knowing you have to make XXX miles, or fail the whole endeavor? That's a lot of psychological pressure and can wear you down. But for some people (adventure racers, for instance), it's a kick. Do you know if you're Type A or Type B?

dessertrat
12-30-2007, 14:35
Clured, if you're being truthful, then I am truthfully impressed. OTOH, your speed on the trail puts you in the top 0.5 or 0.25 percentile for speed. The median/average rate for most thrus is about half of your 26 miles/day figure.

If I heard right, Ken Berry was the first thru-hiker to finish in 2006, and it took him about four months, averaging about 20 miles per day.

As for 4 months being "easy" for young people... well, I wouldn't know, but I still kinda doubt it. Most young people I know like to party about as much as they like to hike.

Well, the funny thing about the top .5 percentile is that someone is actually in it.

clured
12-30-2007, 14:36
Clured, if you're being truthful, then I am truthfully impressed.

Are you calling me a liar?

OTOH, your speed on the trail puts you in the top 0.5 or 0.25 percentile for speed. The median/average rate for most thrus is about half of your 26 miles/day figure.

Stewis:

Most people on these forums do not understand the psychology of young people that like to hike fast. Because they do not understand it, they tend to be defensive and judgmental about fast paces on the AT. One of the things that makes the AT unique is that there is a very developed culture that exists around the trail; and while this culture is made up of absolutely fantastic people (arguably, I think, the overall best subculture that America has to offer), this infrastructure and popularity means that there are certain norms and expectations (like slow hiking) that you will be expected to conform to, and if you don't, you will be criticized.

Some people refuse to understand that some people--usually young college students--do not necessarily hike the AT as a vacation, or in pursuit of pleasure or leisure. My life at college is plush and boring; 3 all-you-can eat buffets every day, a warm heated room, constant stillness. I decided to hike the AT in 3 months because I love challenge, because I love the amplification of sensation that can only be purchased with hard work and task-oriented effort. The slow, pleasure-seeking hikers will never know the true pleasure of wolfing down a hamburger after a man 35-mile scramble to get into town before sunset. It really does taste that much better.

For me, it was a competition: how fast can I hike? I told people on the trail that I was hiking fast because I needed to finish before school, but that was only partly true; I had a 110-day window before the fall term started, and I had like 3+ weeks after I finished to just loaf around at home. For me, there is nothing more joyful or empowering in life than the sensation of a job well done; for 2.5ish months, my job was hiking. What else are you going to do in the woods? Why not walk? There is something incredibly meditative and wonderful about doing only one thing and doing that single thing incredibly well; for me, that meant walking 30+ miles during full days in the woods to offset the hit that your mileage average will take when making resupply trips into towns.

The great thing about the AT is that it can be hiked however you want to hike it. It can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. Think of it as like paddling a canoe; you can sit down and lazily move the paddle through the water and paddle all day without getting tired, and not go that far. Or, you can pull as hard as you possibly can--the water will push back as hard as you pull--and go really fast and end up panting and exhausted and sore (which, for me, means happy). It just depends on what kind of person you are. I am going to get eaten alive for the post, I'm sure, but it only seems fair that you should know that not everyone hikes the AT as some kind of pleasure-boat vacation tryst in the woods. There are other (good) reasons to hike, and if those reasons drive you to hike fast, then Cheers!

-DQ 2007

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-30-2007, 14:38
I think the five to seven months estimate is for people who plan to do it like many thrus seem to do it-- going from shelter to shelter, and camping in a social environment, and also spending some time in towns, rather than simply hiking from near dawn til near dark every day, and pitching camp when it gets dark. It seems like people who hike with determination to make miles, and who ignore stopping just because "this is the last shelter and/or water source we can make it to today" usually do it in around four months. (Earl Shaffer's first hike was four months, and his second, 99 days).

Keep in mind that the AT isn't just long, and it isn't just hilly. There are a lot of sections that are slow going because of roots and rocks, and being in good physical shape is not necessarily going to speed you up on those sections, which require agility and strong ankles more than cardio fitness.Dino echoes this poster's thoughts.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2007, 14:44

Also, we are wondering about the amount of pre-planning food takes. We´ve read through the thru-hiker´s companion and data book 2007, and it looks like there are enough grocery stores along the way to mostly wing it, but we´ve also considered mailing our food. Any advice about food prep, general prep, or life in general would be greatly appreciated?

yeah, go for it. you should have no problem. buy food as you go

dessertrat
12-30-2007, 14:45
Oh, and by the way, I am one of those guys who, while not caring much for lean-tos, hate camping with no water! So if you are going to push hard for miles, and feel like I do about being thirsty or dirty, take some extra carrying capacity, and fill up with water at the last source for the day before you hike on to a dry camp.

rafe
12-30-2007, 14:45
Are you calling me a liar?

Absolutely not. But we're worlds apart in our approach to hiking, that much is clear. I suspect we come from extreme opposite ends of this game, and that neither of us is well-suited for representing the norm. (Whatever that may be.)

Marta
12-30-2007, 14:47
Most people on these forums do not understand the psychology of young people that like to hike fast. Because they do not understand it, they tend to be defensive and judgmental about fast paces on the AT. One of the things that makes the AT unique is that there is a very developed culture that exists around the trail; and while this culture is made up of absolutely fantastic people (arguably, I think, the overall best subculture that America has to offer), this infrastructure and popularity means that there are certain norms and expectations (like slow hiking) that you will be expected to conform to, and if you don't, you will be criticized.

I agree that many people criticize people who are unlike themselves for being "wrong" about their approach to hiking. I hope I have not done that. In defense of some of the skeptics, though, I'll say that every year the internet Trail community is full of people who have elaborate plans that they totally fail to carry out because the plans were quite unrealistic in the first place.

Some of the most common airy-fairy plans are for either very fast hikes or very cheap hikes. Yes, every year a few hardy souls manage to do very fast and/or very cheap hikes, but most would-be thru-hikers are fooling themselves, and dooming their thru-hikes to failure, by planning fast and/or cheap.

I'm not saying don't try, I'm saying it's a lot harder than it sounds.

If you've been a competitive distance runner and Ultimate Frisbee player, choose your gear wisely, avoid injury, and are mentally very tough, you have a shot at it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to try!

A-Train
12-30-2007, 14:57
Your from Portland. Why not hike the PCT? You could hike the whole trail in the window you have, though you'll have to be real dedicated to get it done.

There are a tremendous amount of thru-hiker alums in Portland. Many have done the PCT and several also the AT. I'd be happy to pass along a few names and emails if you PM me.

Kirby
12-30-2007, 15:11
If you've been a competitive distance runner and Ultimate Frisbee player, choose your gear wisely, avoid injury, and are mentally very tough, you have a shot at it.

:bananaGo Ultimate flying disk!:banana

Kirby

Marta
12-30-2007, 15:43
:bananaGo Ultimate flying disk!:banana

Kirby

You will find lots of other UF players on your trek. Lots.

Kirby
12-30-2007, 20:37

We can play a celebratory game on the table lands after we summit
Katahdin.:D

Kirby

Blissful
12-30-2007, 21:14

We only met one that I know of on the hike - he was doing the Long Trail. Unless they hid their talent. :)

Programbo
12-30-2007, 22:33
All the publications I´ve read say to plan between 5 and 7 months to complete the trail, however, looking over the mileage and elevation our calculations come to a little over three months.

First let me say that many times I post replies to questions without reading all the replies so forgive me if anything I say has already been addressed:
Is that the only way you are looking at this hike?..As the physical challange of getting from point A to point Z?...Why not do it in 70 days then?...The reason most of the guides say 5-7 is that for most people thru-hiking the AT is more than just about challenging yourself physically..It`s about becoming a part of the trail community and making friends and spending time with them along the way at shelters, towns..etc...Taking in the history and tradition along the way...The AT is a whole different way of life than the western trails where it can be day after day of deep forest and little contact with others so you can just roll along...Along the AT you learn to stop and chat with the characters you meet..Tell some stories..Learn some history..Visit some quaint little towns..Etc
Who`s Bill Bryson? :-?

River Runner
12-30-2007, 23:23
Hey Stewis,

HYOH - go for it. One thing I've learned about the AT is that plans frequently change. You may find you do it in your anticipated time, or you may find you want to slow down & experience more along the way, turning it into a long section hike. Either way, you're going to experience something you wouldn't have other wise.

'Course, you can always hook up with the Wild Cowboy and try for 40 days! :D

Marta
12-31-2007, 06:29
We only met one that I know of on the hike - he was doing the Long Trail. Unless they hid their talent. :)

I can't explain it. In 2006 I ran into more than one kid with a Frisbee riding on top of his pack. Trail Days?

mudhead
12-31-2007, 06:33
Probably just needed something to clean their gorp on...

Pirate
12-31-2007, 10:38

What are you askinjg these cyber hikers with 0 miles of real hiking questions about hiking anyway. Just get out there and hike.

slow
12-31-2007, 17:37
Hey Stewis,

HYOH - go for it. One thing I've learned about the AT is that plans frequently change. You may find you do it in your anticipated time, or you may find you want to slow down & experience more along the way, turning it into a long section hike. Either way, you're going to experience something you wouldn't have other wise.

'Course, you can always hook up with the Wild Cowboy and try for 40 days! :D

Cowboy's plans are going much better than you think.
Pack is down 2 lb and picked up 9 mi per day since last post.

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2007, 17:49
Cowboy's plans are going much better than you think.
Pack is down 2 lb and picked up 9 mi per day since last post.

So he was doing 43 miles per day, or 63 prior to dropping pack weight and speeding up? I forget which it was, was it a 30 day thru or 40? I'll look for the blur and listen for the beep-beep as he passes thru NH.

cocoa
12-31-2007, 17:57
Ok, so I am not as young as I once was, but late 20s, relatively athletic. I hiked with my husband and we finished in 6 months and 6 days with 45 zeroes and plenty of neroes. Although I loved my first AT thru-hike and wouldn't change anything about it, we spent a @#$^@%^ lot of money with all those zeroes. But here's the thing, when we finished I was in tip-top shape, but not suffering from any serious injuries or nagging aches and pains, because we had ample rest. Our next thru-hike will be more balanced though (aiming for PCT '09, y'all).

My friend's sister was out this year too, and she sounded a bit more like you - they had a pretty short time line and started in with big miles straight away.

And only made it about 500 miles. They were very fit, but pushed themselves and didn't suffer form catastrophic injuries, just uncomfortable ones.

I sort of like the idea of hiking without a deadline, and then every day you can wake up and if you feel like walking 25 miles you can, without the pressure of having to do it. Because you are right, sometimes it feels really good to walk a long way.

slow
12-31-2007, 18:16
So he was doing 43 miles per day, or 63 prior to dropping pack weight and speeding up? I forget which it was, was it a 30 day thru or 40? I'll look for the blur and listen for the beep-beep as he passes thru NH.

He just says ...get ready to put his name in the books?

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2007, 18:21
Where is wild cowboy geographically as of this moment? 'Cause the weather in the southern appalachians ain't gonna be good the next few days.

slow
12-31-2007, 18:40
No clue?maybe putting in some time.

Kirby
12-31-2007, 18:45
Has he already started?

Kirby

slow
12-31-2007, 19:07
No... to cold and needs more time to get ready he has said.

slow
12-31-2007, 19:38
When you really think ....he can start aug and still be fine,if he carries pace.

River Runner
12-31-2007, 22:16
Where is wild cowboy geographically as of this moment? 'Cause the weather in the southern appalachians ain't gonna be good the next few days.

Maybe doing one of his 100+ mile a day shake down hikes? :rolleyes:

Montego
12-31-2007, 22:34
Maybe doing one of his 100+ mile a day shake down hikes? :rolleyes:

Before breakfast :D

Kirby
12-31-2007, 23:05
If he is still planning 30, he could start in August. He could start in June down south, that way if it does not work out, he still has an additional 3.5 months to hike the trail.

Kirby

slow
12-31-2007, 23:49
But if he does it in 30-40 day's...a guy from out west first time,not like WARD that lived here and walked the trail?then what would be said.

River Runner
01-01-2008, 22:54
That he should get started on his new website :-? - yellowblaze.com ;)

Grampie
01-02-2008, 18:19

Advise...Go for it. You can make it in four months with good luck. i.e. injuries, sickness alot of bad weather.
Start with 3-4 days food and buy along the way. I would not just do food drops.
Hope you have enough money..That's important. Don't cut your funds too close. Running out of money is a reason a lot of folks pack it in.
Take into consideration that a lot of folks who reply never thru-hiked so you have to take a lot of given advise with a grain of salt.
Happy trails on your adventure...It sure is one.

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2008, 18:30
Advise...Go for it. You can make it in four months with good luck. i.e. injuries, sickness alot of bad weather.
Start with 3-4 days food and buy along the way. I would not just do food drops.
Hope you have enough money..That's important. Don't cut your funds too close. Running out of money is a reason a lot of folks pack it in.
Good advice

Take into consideration that a lot of folks who reply never thru-hiked so you have to take a lot of given advise with a grain of salt.

Also consider though that many who never "thru-hiked" may be members of the 80%+ club who started out with thru-hike plans and intentions every bit as grand and enthusiastic as yours. There are lots of reasons people can't/don't finish or have to leave the trail. Mostly though, thru-hiking simply loses its importance in the scope of things. Once you've hiked long enough, it's time to stop. For most people, even hiking enthusiasts, there's a lot more to life than the AT.

Grampie
01-02-2008, 18:57
Good advice

Also consider though that many who never "thru-hiked" may be members of the 80%+ club who started out with thru-hike plans and intentions every bit as grand and enthusiastic as yours. There are lots of reasons people can't/don't finish or have to leave the trail. Mostly though, thru-hiking simply loses its importance in the scope of things. Once you've hiked long enough, it's time to stop. For most people, even hiking enthusiasts, there's a lot more to life than the AT.

Every thru-hiker that I have met who got off the trail and never returned to finish, always had the best reason in the world to give up.

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2008, 19:01
Every thru-hiker that I have met who got off the trail and never returned to finish, always had the best reason in the world to give up.

Yep. They didn't want to do it anymore.

Jack Tarlin
01-02-2008, 19:05
A 4 month hike is perfectly doable, assuming you stay healthy; are extremely disciplined with your town time and your time off; and are willing to forego a lot of the social aspects of a thru-hike.

You'll find plenty of advice here on gear, which should obviously be as light as possible consdering your intended daily mileage. There's lots of good information in the "Articles" section of this website on food, mail, and Re-Supply while en route. You should be able to obtain most of your food while en route and not have to depend on the mail.

I think you'll be fine as long as you're realistic about what you're doing. If there's any way you could get out a week or two before 23 April, so much the better, that's two weeks that may well come in handy at the end of the summer.

Mags
01-02-2008, 19:43
Ok, so I am not as young as I once was, but late 20s, relatively athletic.

Endurance actually peaks in the early 30s. Look at marathoners, long distance bicyclists, etc. Of course, at 33 I am a bit biased.. :D

3 mos is doable but difficult for an AT hike.

4 mos is probably a great compromise between a faster than normal AT pace , but not against the clock if you will. That's 18 MPD on average. Nothing extraordinary by any means. Just takes discipline.

Take limited zero days and be consistent in the mileage. Better to hike several 20s in a row than to do the Maryland Challenge and then take 2 days to recover. :sun

If I were to do the AT again, I'd probably do it at that pace (4 mos). YMMV.

River Runner
01-03-2008, 02:34
Advise...Take into consideration that a lot of folks who reply never thru-hiked so you have to take a lot of given advise with a grain of salt.

:-?

Also take into consideration that even if they have thru-hiked you may want to take some of the advise with a grain of salt. Their style may not be your style. :sun