PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag and stuff sack matchup

thelifejunkie
12-30-2007, 14:28
I am going to get a WM UltraLite Super to start off my 2008 thru and I want to pair it with a Sea to Summit dry sack. I just don't know what the right sack would be. First, should I get a compression(eVent® Compression Dry Sacks (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/1)) or not? Is the compression going to hurt the bag in any way throughout my hike? And if the compression sack is not the way to go, what size dry sack will the bag fit nicely in? Thanks for the input.

troglobil
12-30-2007, 14:31
I use the 13 liter size Sea to Summit dry sack for mine.

Appalachian Tater
12-30-2007, 20:56
Don't compress it if you don't need to. It might hurt the bag and even if not, it's more trouble when packing up in the morning.

Why don't you get the bag, see how it fits in the stuffsack it comes with, and then buy the correct size? You may need one a little larger or smaller than specified.

Pedaling Fool
12-30-2007, 21:01
Don't compress it if you don't need to. It might hurt the bag and even if not, it's more trouble when packing up in the morning.

Why don't you get the bag, see how it fits in the stuffsack it comes with, and then buy the correct size? You may need one a little larger or smaller than specified.
Copy that.
Also, I think compression sacks are overrated, generally speaking. What you lose in length, by compressing, you gain in girth.

bigboots
12-30-2007, 21:10
I swiched over to a compression sack a few years ago. I like the ability to (or not to) compress it in my pack and I never leave it compressed when not in use.
Some down sides: as mentioned it gets a little wider, it is also less conformable to packing in pack (lots of open pockets) whereas a soft not-commpressed pack can move into/create open spaces for other items.
Up-sides: it is compact, doesn't take up as much space and my personal favorite is that it doubles as my camping chair when compressed!:D

Bigboots

take-a-knee
12-30-2007, 23:25
I would get a roll top Sea to Summit or OR silnylon sack THAT FITS IN YOUR PACK CROSSWAYS. I wouldn't over stuff the bag.

Almost There
12-31-2007, 01:24
I use a 13liter Sea to Summit Dry sack. It fits just fine in my pack compartment and it allows me to not compress my bag so tight. Your bag will last longer if you aren't stuffing it tiny every time.

Dirtygaiters
01-01-2008, 15:09
Depending on the size and type of your pack and how much other bulky gear you want to put inside of it (a tent, lots of clothes, a big 2 liter pot...), then a compression sack may or may not be best. Some people would say that if your bag gets wet and you pack it up wet, the compression will cause the down to not loft as much next time you unpack it. On the other hand, you can certainly stuff a compression sack and not compress it. If you have a lot of bulky gear that you want to pack inside a backpack with a rigid frame, then I think a compression sack is well suited to that application. Down doesn't really get damaged from a moderate amount of compression like synthetic fibers do. It's remarkably resiliant. No matter how much I've worried about leaving my own down bags over compressed for too long, they've always come right back to their former loft. On the other hand, if you're using a frameless pack, a compression sack will be bulky, uncomfortable and heavy compared to just a stuffsack. A properly sized silnylon stuffsack (for the Ultralite, I'd use the Sea to Summit size small or extra-small) and a waterproof pack liner (like a compactor bag or a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil pack liner) could be all the waterproofing one needs.

Tinker
01-01-2008, 16:04
My bets are on the stuffsack in two rounds, max.

It will absolutely CRUSH the bag!:D :rolleyes:

OK, I'm bored (and not that funny, either).

troglobil
01-01-2008, 16:11
not sure how i put 5 liter in earlier post. I must have been doing two things at once. It is the 13 liter sack that I use.