PDA

View Full Version : State of Delaware

THEmapMAKER
12-30-2007, 19:16
Is there anyone on WB that live in the State of Delaware?
If so where is you favoriate place to hike on the AT.
I live in Newark.

moondoggy
12-30-2007, 22:41
I live in Delaware.....just a little South of you outside Middletown.
Please keep in mind that we are relatively new to backpacking..Thusfar, our favorite hikes are Damscus Va. area, and the SNP.
Both are a little bit of a drive....but very dooable and well worth the effort..

THEmapMAKER
12-31-2007, 13:34
How was your trip to Jones Mountain? I was thinking about going there this year.

moondoggy
12-31-2007, 13:50
Jones Mountain is great...we didn't backpack, stayed in one of the PATC cabins. We've done that several times good and bad about each cabin. Jones Mountain has a really nice cabin...if it's cold the woodstove will kill you....eats wood like a locomotive.
If you want more infor PM me.....I'll send you my phone number.
If your plans are to backpack...drive a little further to the Damascus area.....really really nice. We did about 45 miles there last year and loved it...wil surely go again...this year

Jaybird62
01-06-2008, 15:24
I too live in DE- Bear. I have backpacked on the A.T. in MD, and had a great time. I have done a lot of dayhikes on the A.T. in the mid-atlantic states, and had a blast everytime. If you enjoy a challenge, and it is a relatively short drive(closer than SNP) , check out lehigh gap- rock scrambling and great views. also, if you take 896 in PA north to PA 372 and follow it west, just before you get to the susquehana river there are some awesome hikes. Google Kellys Run, and the tuscarora trail. On the other side of the river, you have the mason dixon trail. It follows the river(not much flat walking,lots of up and downs) all the way down to Havre de Grace MD. I enjoyed the mason dixon.

beaker
01-06-2008, 16:20
I also live in Delaware - North Wilmington. Some of the best AT hiking for me have been from the SMNP north to the Mount Rogers area. Very beautiful area. Not easy hiking for a beginner but well worth a trip south for the whole experience.

DEHiker
01-26-2008, 08:16
I'm in Newark, have section-hiked a little over half the trail so far. My favorite would have to be the Whites but it is all good.

If anyone's interested in joining me for a section, let me know - I'm looking for a hiking partner. I do a week each year, usually about 100 miles. Still have to complete GA-TN-NC-Southern VA and Maine.

Wonder
01-26-2008, 09:14
I too live in DE- Bear. I have backpacked on the A.T. in MD, and had a great time. I have done a lot of dayhikes on the A.T. in the mid-atlantic states, and had a blast everytime. If you enjoy a challenge, and it is a relatively short drive(closer than SNP) , check out lehigh gap- rock scrambling and great views. also, if you take 896 in PA north to PA 372 and follow it west, just before you get to the susquehana river there are some awesome hikes. Google Kellys Run, and the tuscarora trail. On the other side of the river, you have the mason dixon trail. It follows the river(not much flat walking,lots of up and downs) all the way down to Havre de Grace MD. I enjoyed the mason dixon.

You live in Bear, DE and root for NY???? Oy! I'm from West Chester, and I have family in Bear....Caravel Farms.....I also used to have an office in Peoples Plaza.

Get in touch with LBBrown.....I think that he's in the Wilmington area, and hikes often.
Also, if any of y'all make it down Damascus ways......bring pork roll and steak rolls!!!.....but you have a place to crash!

kayak karl
01-26-2008, 10:40
i live on the other side of the bridge. i hike and bike brandywine river park. nice hills and stream crossings. if you ever want to hike the Pine Barrens , let me know. im hiking the Batona Trail starting 2/8 to 2/10. will post the trip in a few days. i want to set it up so hikers can meet up on sat morn also. will be a good test of winter gear.

hike safe

Wonder
01-26-2008, 11:17
Just remember....can stoves are prolly not a good idea in the "Devils Land" I remember black out conditions with the smoke before

Tin Man
01-26-2008, 12:10
I grew up just south of Dover and went to Caesar Rodney High School where I first learned about the AT from a History teacher who spent a summer hiking the trail. I have dreamed of doing a thru-hike ever since.