PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your knife sharp

CoyoteWhips
12-30-2007, 21:22
What do you pack to keep a sharp edge on your knife?

OregonHiker
12-30-2007, 21:28

an old fashioned grindstone :p

bigboots
12-30-2007, 21:31

I wasn't planning on bringing anything, but I'm not bringing an expensive knife. But thats a good question, I haven't seen any pack lists which included anything for that purpose.

Bigboots

Montego
12-30-2007, 21:35
I use a sliding ceramic pocket sharpener called a "Gerber Sharpak". It's older than the hills, but keeps my "Buck" sharp enough to shave with :)

flow
12-30-2007, 21:46
I don't use a knife. I use a razor blade and store it in a plastic homemade sheath. Just mail others ahead for sharp resupply

CoyoteWhips
12-30-2007, 22:01
For my overnighters, I've packed a disposable utility knife for emergencies. However, for longer trips when I expect to cook food -- some days a real potato -- I'm thinking of a short santoku style knife.

At home, I use a sharpening iron, but it's heavy. My first thoughts were a ceramic rod or one of those clever draw blade sharpeners.

grquinn
12-30-2007, 22:11
For my overnighters, I've packed a disposable utility knife for emergencies. However, for longer trips when I expect to cook food -- some days a real potato -- I'm thinking of a short santoku style knife.

At home, I use a sharpening iron, but it's heavy. My first thoughts were a ceramic rod or one of those clever draw blade sharpeners.

Have you tried a Gerber Pocket sharpener?

G.R.

Appalachian Tater
12-30-2007, 22:16
Unless you whittle, I doubt you'd need a sharpener on a thru-hike. You might cut cheese or sausage with your knife. Scissors are handier.

If you needed to sharpen it, some of the hostel owners or outfitters probably have a sharpening stone you could ask to use.

CoyoteWhips
12-30-2007, 22:17
Have you tried a Gerber Pocket sharpener?

G.R.

I have not, but when I looked it up on the web, I also found the Gerber Diamond Sharpener (http://store.everestgear.com/376606.html).

Weighs 1.5 ounces, but it's a style I'm used to.

oops56
12-30-2007, 22:59
I have not, but when I looked it up on the web, I also found the Gerber Diamond Sharpener (http://store.everestgear.com/376606.html).

Me i like a stone got them 3 in. ones just somethig about it i like

SGT Rock
12-30-2007, 22:59
I've got this dogtag shapener. Not my favorite, but it works and it is light.

take-a-knee
12-30-2007, 23:08
This little gizmo from DMT is the best thing I've found:

http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/other.htm

The blue one is the most useful grit, the red is finer but takes forever to get an edge. For a steel, I've use the outside edge of my leatherman micra on a couple of knives to get rid of the wire edge.

If this thing is too heavy for you to carry, I suggest getting a set of dumbells to go with it...and maybe a testosterone patch.

SGT Rock
12-30-2007, 23:09
DMT makes those credit card shapeners

budforester
12-30-2007, 23:14
I use a plastic gizmo similar to this (http://www.boatersworld.com/product/478620966.htm). Draw the blade through the slot; two ceramic sticks are mounted in a "V". It sharpens quickly, easy to use, small size, light weight, impervious to water. I have several: backpack, daypack, tacklebox, kitchen, garage.

SGT Rock
12-30-2007, 23:17
Mine is similar to that - it is a Klawhorn: http://5stores.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12282

It weighs 0.6 ounces. I prefer my DMT blue/red folder like Take-A-Knee reccomends for most work. I just made one of those hacksaw blade knives with it today so sharp I could shave.

bigboots
12-30-2007, 23:19
Mine is similar to that - it is a Klawhorn: http://5stores.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12282

It weighs 0.6 ounces. I prefer my DMT blue/red folder like Take-A-Knee reccomends for most work. I just made one of those hacksaw blade knives with it today so sharp I could shave.

and its American Made!:)

Bigboots

mark.k.watson
12-31-2007, 09:31
When you hit town, get a cup of coffee, dirink, turn the empty mug over and use the base. Works slicker than snot.

Nearly Normal
12-31-2007, 09:40
Nothing beats a hacksaw blade for slicing a tomato. I wish I could find a stainless blade to make a lasting knife.

johnny quest
12-31-2007, 09:44
im glad someone brought up this subject. i was planning on putting my sharpener in a bounce box...didnt realize they made such small light sharpeners.
i carry daily the knife i will thru with and i disagree with folks who always say there is no use for a knife other than cutting cheese (???). i find if i have a knife i use a knife. and a dull knife is a dull and useless thing. much like a 18 year old boy.

CoyoteWhips
12-31-2007, 09:46
Nothing beats a hacksaw blade for slicing a tomato. I wish I could find a stainless blade to make a lasting knife.

It's a trade-off. High carbon steel gives you a sharper edge, but doesn't keep the edge as long as stainless.

SGT Rock
12-31-2007, 10:54
Well you really don't need it to be that long of a lasting blade. Since you can get a stack of hacksaw blades cheap you could make a whole lot of cheap knives from them.

im glad someone brought up this subject. i was planning on putting my sharpener in a bounce box...didnt realize they made such small light sharpeners.
i carry daily the knife i will thru with and i disagree with folks who always say there is no use for a knife other than cutting cheese (???). i find if i have a knife i use a knife. and a dull knife is a dull and useless thing. much like a 18 year old boy.
I find the small bladed knives tend to annoy me when I actually need a knife for something. I've been planning on taking my Becker Necker to the trail - I've found it fairly usefull on multiple hikes now.

It's a trade-off. High carbon steel gives you a sharper edge, but doesn't keep the edge as long as stainless.
True that. But sharpening a knife can also be fun. I'd personally rather have one of those DMT shapeners that are more traditional - shapening a knife across a stone is a good way to relax. But the Klawhorn is pretty foolproof in most situations and it's light so that is what I went with. I've used the dogtag chain hole to attach it to the neck cord of my Becker.

That said - yesterday I made that hacksaw blade knife. It has a 3" blade razor sharp with gut hook, sawblade back, re-cycled credit card sheath, lanyard, and handel - and weighs 12 grams. It's a great ultralight knife DIY project.

CoyoteWhips
12-31-2007, 11:24
That said - yesterday I made that hacksaw blade knife. It has a 3" blade razor sharp with gut hook, sawblade back, re-cycled credit card sheath, lanyard, and handel - and weighs 12 grams. It's a great ultralight knife DIY project.

Have we posted the url for the 10 Cent Survival Knife (http://www.m4040.com/Survival/10_Cent_Survival_Knife/10_Cent_Survival_Knife.htm)?

That gut hook will come in handy for getting started on those shelter mouse mittens and trimming Irish pennants.

I foresee AT hikers comparing hacksaw blades around the campfire. At least one enterprising entrepreneur will be selling fancy highly polished blades to hikers who aren't handy with tools.

johnny quest
12-31-2007, 11:39
irish pennants. now thats a term i havent heard lately.

johnny quest
12-31-2007, 11:43
I find the small bladed knives tend to annoy me when I actually need a knife for something. I've been planning on taking my Becker Necker to the trail - I've found it fairly usefull on multiple hikes now.

i have an sog folder that i really love. cary it every day. dont know that i will carry it on a hike though.

Hurley
12-31-2007, 13:35
I use a plastic gizmo similar to this (http://www.boatersworld.com/product/478620966.htm). Draw the blade through the slot; two ceramic sticks are mounted in a "V". It sharpens quickly, easy to use, small size, light weight, impervious to water. I have several: backpack, daypack, tacklebox, kitchen, garage.

I use something like that. had it for years and it trill does the trick.

tritonl
12-31-2007, 19:43
Bring a serrated knife, it will stay sharp for a very long time and you wont have to worry about taking a stone.

Tha Wookie
01-01-2008, 21:26
Ray Jardine taught me a technique in Arizona that uses three grits of sandpaper, and something to strop it with (a boot could work... i use my handmade leather sheath).

It's pretty simple: You grind the blade to a good angle with the coarse grits (100, 220), and hone it with the finer (400, 600). All you really need is something to flatten the paper on (like a journal, shelter floor, use you imagination).

This method is choice because you can really control the edge's sharpness with just a few sheets of paper, which weigh practically nothing. If you know how to keep a good angle (technique), then you can go scary-sharp for wood working or plant gathering.

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 21:29
Good point Wook. I was thinking of adding a few sheets of modeling sanding paper to my pack. Three grits don't even make a gram...

My youngest has been hinting around for me to make him a hacksaw blade knife. I just started hand filing the blade.

take-a-knee
01-01-2008, 22:41
Ray Jardine taught me a technique in Arizona that uses three grits of sandpaper, and something to strop it with (a boot could work... i use my handmade leather sheath).

It's pretty simple: You grind the blade to a good angle with the coarse grits (100, 220), and hone it with the finer (400, 600). All you really need is something to flatten the paper on (like a journal, shelter floor, use you imagination).

This method is choice because you can really control the edge's sharpness with just a few sheets of paper, which weigh practically nothing. If you know how to keep a good angle (technique), then you can go scary-sharp for wood working or plant gathering.

Woodworkers have used sandpaper for years, they stick it to a wooden holder that has a thick piece of glass (a very flat surface) epoxied to it. Maybe you could glue the sandpaper to a small piece of plywood, one grit on each side.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-02-2008, 14:40
Eze Lap works pretty good on most pocket knives. I use ceramic on my really nice blades.

http://www.knivesplus.com/EZ-ST-EZE-LAP.HTML

Jaybird
01-02-2008, 14:52

if youre gonna be out for a complete THRU-HIKE...bring the sharpening stone...otherwise,....sharpen the blade before leaving home & dont worry about it!:D

Good Luck with your hike!

pure_mahem
01-02-2008, 15:05

I've got a stone and I have one of these if your use to the old sharpening steel this may be the way to go it sure does put a slick edge on my knives!

pure_mahem
01-02-2008, 15:15
Take a strip of each grit place them together on top of one another and staple them to part of a paint stick should work well enough. I remember in design class we use to us something similar to this to get a really fine point on our drafting pencils.

Newb
01-02-2008, 15:30
I've got a folding Gerber that the Air Force issued me. It's been to Iraq and all over the woods and streams of the East Coast. It's opened MRE pouches and cut line and sliced food. It has yet to need sharpening.

take-a-knee
01-02-2008, 15:53
I've got a stone and I have one of these if your use to the old sharpening steel this may be the way to go it sure does put a slick edge on my knives!

I bought one of those things and had absolutely zero luck with it on every blade I tried.

leeki pole
01-02-2008, 16:28
Bring a serrated knife, it will stay sharp for a very long time and you wont have to worry about taking a stone.
Sorry, but a serrated knife belongs in the kitchen, not in the woods.
A good knife and a good stone is well worth the weight, IMHO.

johnny quest
01-02-2008, 16:31
serrated knives are for cutting bread!
that being said, my sog flash is half serrated....but its all they had left at that price!!!

Christopher Robin
01-02-2008, 17:12
I use the same type of sharpener its great, but I only take it on long trips,:sun

Captn
01-02-2008, 18:16

I too use a similar qizmo ....

Works great!

Captn
01-02-2008, 18:34

Got any pictures?

Isn't the blade a bit on the brittle side?

Instructions/links for making such a knife?

SGT Rock
01-02-2008, 18:39
http://www.m4040.com/Survival/10_Cent_Survival_Knife/10_Cent_Survival_Knife.htm

johnny quest
01-02-2008, 18:41
my interest piqued by this thread, i made one yesterday. didnt take long. it was ok, neat thing to know. in my curiousity i broke it. i wanted to see how much stress it would take. so, yeah, it can be brittle.

Skidsteer
01-02-2008, 18:47
Got any pictures?

Isn't the blade a bit on the brittle side?

Instructions/links for making such a knife?

10 Cent Survival Knife (http://www.m4040.com/Survival/10_Cent_Survival_Knife/10_Cent_Survival_Knife.htm)

Oops. Rock beat me to it!

SGT Rock
01-02-2008, 19:13
Yes, it would be something to be careful with. I've made two of them now - one for me and one for the youngest. The second one came out better since I had a chance to work the bugs out on mine.

tritonl
01-02-2008, 22:05
Sorry, but a serrated knife belongs in the kitchen, not in the woods.
A good knife and a good stone is well worth the weight, IMHO.

I don’t have to worry about sharpening my knife, even if it gets dull it will still perform its job.

CoyoteWhips
01-02-2008, 22:11
I don’t have to worry about sharpening my knife, even if it gets dull it will still perform its job.

I disagree. A dull knife is much more dangerous to use than a sharp one.

Montego
01-02-2008, 22:36
I disagree. A dull knife is much more dangerous to use than a sharp one.

I agree

NICKTHEGREEK
01-02-2008, 23:06
Probably right if all you cut is the cheese.

johnny quest
01-03-2008, 09:41
perhaps tritonl is refering to a serrated knife....in which case i would have to give an qualified agreement. if i had to choose between a dull rusty blade knife and a dull rusty serrated knife i would choose the serrated i guess.

SunnyWalker
01-04-2008, 20:52
My favorite knife still is the big ole buck sheath knife. -SunnyWalker

pure_mahem
01-05-2008, 22:14
You'ld be surprised what one of those little plastic butter knifes can cut!

CoyoteWhips
01-05-2008, 22:54
You'ld be surprised what one of those little plastic butter knifes can cut!

If it's some hard cheese, a loop of dental floss works well, too. Just wrap and pull.

SunnyWalker
01-16-2008, 21:12
Now CoyoteWhips: That is the best trick I've heard in a long time. I always have dental floss with me. That WOULD be a weigth savings, to leave the knife at home. -

JAK
01-16-2008, 21:31
What is a good handle for the hacksaw survival blade?

I wonder what a cheap hacksaw blade might be like for making cheap arrowheads?

SGT Rock
01-16-2008, 21:48
Paracord or duct tape

Panzer1
01-16-2008, 21:56
I got one of these in my tool kit.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=198280-930-324HF25N&lpage=none

Panzer

envirodiver
01-17-2008, 00:18
this works great and sharpens serrated bladeshttp://www.rei.com/product/726793

SlowLightTrek
01-18-2008, 12:52
When my knife started getting dull I just found a decent rock to use as a sharpening stone.

leeki pole
01-18-2008, 13:29
When my knife started getting dull I just found a decent rock to use as a sharpening stone.
Sandstone works good for a coarse edge. Just remember to moisten the stone for best results. Coarse is probably as good as you'll need.

scavenger
01-18-2008, 13:52
yea i carry a mora knife and sharpen it with a nice smooth river stone. works well enough.

tritonl
01-18-2008, 18:47
Just saw this on tv, very small and very light, worth taking a look

http://vablade.com/

SunnyWalker
02-15-2009, 22:55
Don't these gadgets just put a feather edge on the blade? Under a microscope one that you can see and "bend". Easily blunted, broken off and then you return to the dull edge? I'm just asking. Always thought the only to truly sharpen a blade was use a stone.

Tha Wookie
02-15-2009, 23:46
sandpaper.

2 grits. 400 then 600

sharp as all hell

Tha Wookie
02-15-2009, 23:48
http://www.m4040.com/Survival/10_Cent_Survival_Knife/10_Cent_Survival_Knife.htm

kewl

JP
02-16-2009, 13:56
I use an empty Advil botle that I glued fine grit emery cloth to the outside. I keep my strike anywhere matches in it. The emery doubles as a stryker and to toutch up the edge on your knife.

Gumbi
02-16-2009, 14:15
You can also sharpen a blade on the top egde of a car window! Just roll the window down halfway, and sharpen on the top edge of the window.

Gumbi
02-16-2009, 14:20
Just have to bring your car with you on your hike, and you have the perfect solution!

BrianLe
02-16-2009, 14:34
I think there are differences in hiking style, philosophy, whatever at work here. On the trail I use a knife blade infrequently for limited cutting, and for opening resupply boxes in trail towns. I thru-hiked the PCT last year with a 0.8 oz knife/scissors unit and it never occurred to me to sharpen it, nor did I encounter any downside to that, or feel like it was dangerous to use it without it being frequently sharpened.

I wonder what kinds of things people are cutting that requires such frequent sharpening?

One person commented "if youre gonna be out for a complete THRU-HIKE...bring the sharpening stone..." (else leave it home). I really can't see bringing a sharpening stone or even having one in a bounce box. To be clear, I don't purport to represent all hiking approaches with that comment, I just don't see how it would help me to have my maybe 1-1/2" whimpy knife blade made extra razor sharp on a regular basis.

Perhaps this thread is best left to those who *can* see the reason in the first place !

SunnyWalker
02-18-2009, 23:11
JP: hey that's a great idea. Thanks. I'll use THAT one. Great!!!

SunnyWalker
02-18-2009, 23:12
JP: sure a lot lighter than a stone.