PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Products Pinnacle Internal Frame Pack???

Bulldawg
12-30-2007, 22:50
I am in NO WAY a thru hiker. I have kids to raise, feed, hous to pay for etc. But I do like to hike and live through you guys out there who get out there and do it. But I do want to start doing some 3 to 4 day hikes. My little ole 1800 ci day pack wont cut it. So does anybody have any info on this Outdoor Products Pinnacle Internal Frame Pack (https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39144084&memberId=12500226) . They have it at a buy at Campmor and I seriously thinking about ordering it tonight. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!

Bulldawg
12-30-2007, 23:27
OK, anybody out there with any experience with their products??

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2007, 23:32
Just a comment, but don't feel bound by it. The best situation of course is to try a pack on in the store prior to buying it, but your budget may make that impractible. It's tough to manufacture a pack at the price you're looking at, especially an internal frame. Hopefuly the quality will be sufficient for a few years of use, and who knows, it may be a great pack just without brand name hype. Also 3160 cu in isn't real big for an internal. And if you're on a budget, you're not going to have the most compressible sleeping bag or most compact clothing or gear. 3600 cu in is usually considered kind of a minimum for a non-ultralight internal setup for multiday hikes. That said, campmor has a pretty good return policy - you'll only have to eat the return shipping if you don't like the pack.

bigboots
12-30-2007, 23:35
I am someone who really feels that you need to try on the pack before a purchase. In your case only hiking a few days you may be ok, but in the long run will probably want something that you know is good. Although you may get lucky. If you don't get it today, don't worry theres always sales for stupid reasons year round.

Bigboots

Bulldawg
12-30-2007, 23:38
Right, I fully understand all that. While not "on a budget" so far as looking for the cheapest thing out there, I don't have a forutne to spend on gear either. I really need to able to outfit this entire trip for between $400-$500. I live no more than an hour from the entire portion of the AT in Georgia. But I was really right now leaning towards the first few sections of the BMT. I was actually up on Springer this past Thursday. Some things I have, most I dont. I am going to have to get either a tent or hammock (right now the hammock thing REALLY interests me), a pack, and a sleeping bag. Those are the major purchases I have to make. I apprecaite the comment. I am pretty close to the outfitters at Neels Gap. But everything up there seems SO HIGH!! I will keep watching this thread for suggestions. Oh yeah, BTW, three days two nights seems to be my target right now. It may turn into four days three nghts before I go though. Thanks!

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2007, 23:58
I agree, the prices on new gear are very high.
You might also consider used gear here (usully posted as WTS - want to sell - private message the person posting) or on ebay. There's a lot of good used gear for sale here and it's a bit more personable than ebay.

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2007, 00:02
I agree, the prices on new gear are very high.
You might also consider used gear here (usully posted as WTS - want to sell - private message the person posting) or on ebay. There's a lot of good used gear for sale here and it's a bit more personable than ebay.

Strike that WTS, they are posted as FS(for sale)

Bulldawg
12-31-2007, 00:21
Yeah I have been browsing the FS posts on the gear forum. Maybe something will pop up. Thanks!

Toolshed
12-31-2007, 08:15
John, I have seen there products at Dicks and walmart (IIRC).
Their gear is not made by what I feel are quality standards. That is, I don't feel their PU coatings are anything more than a very light coat, the stitching seems uneven, the zippers feel cheap and didn't slide well and the nylon straps aren't smooth and freely sliding through the buckles, they seem to grab when trying to tighten or loosen them up. Frustrating.

Outrider
12-31-2007, 12:09
John, I am like you. Between full time job and family I get to get out on the trail a weekend here and there. I got a Outdoor Products Pack from Wal-Mart. Its 3520ci and paid $30 for it. Its no where close to being top of the line but for what I do it has worked very well. The pack is 2lbs with the stays in and 1 1/2lbs without the stays. Does not have a bunch of extra features but will hold a hydration bladder. It has worked great for me with pack weights under 30lbs. No more than I get to ho hike, I can't see going and paying out a lot of money for a pack.

LIhikers
12-31-2007, 13:50
My wife and I both started with Outdoor Products internal packs. While they worked OK they were not very durable. On one section hike I dropped the pack and a rock it fell on tore a strap. Also, the fabric on the inside of my hipbelt wore through after not too many uses. I retired it from backpacking and now use it as a suitcase for when we travel. I think they make a reasonable, cheap pack.

Bulldawg
12-31-2007, 14:30
John, I am like you. Between full time job and family I get to get out on the trail a weekend here and there. I got a Outdoor Products Pack from Wal-Mart. Its 3520ci and paid $30 for it. Its no where close to being top of the line but for what I do it has worked very well. The pack is 2lbs with the stays in and 1 1/2lbs without the stays. Does not have a bunch of extra features but will hold a hydration bladder. It has worked great for me with pack weights under 30lbs. No more than I get to ho hike, I can't see going and paying out a lot of money for a pack.

That is where I am leaning. I mean, I get out for a two or three night hike twice, three times if I am lucky, per year. I have a daypack I love. A Kelty Mica. 1750ci and works perfect for 8 to 12 mile day hikes. I just need something a bit larger for the overnighters. I just can't jusitfy spending big money on something that will get used so little. I have to buy a bag and hammock too and if I get much over $300 for the entire setup, the wife will start going off the deep end saying I could have just taken her somewhere for a weekend. So, I am thinking about looking around a bit more, maybe up in the 3600ci range, but I am starting to think I am limiting my money on a pack to $60.

That being said, hammock or tent? What sort of opinion can I get on that. There is a hammock over on the gear for sale page, but I need a tarp and all. Sgt Rock seems to be the hammock authority, but I can spend $200 on one of those either, for the very reason as the pack. Opinions??

CoyoteWhips
12-31-2007, 15:02
I have a couple of Outdoor Products packs I bought at WalMart; the Mist (http://www.outdoorproducts.com/proddetail.aspx?sku=598OP) which was my daypack all last summer and the Desert Ridge, 3,520cu.in., 2lb 4oz. From my experience, I'd say get one and try it out for a season -- what ya got to lose?

If you get a hammock, you will find yourself planning hikes just so you can sleep in your hammock.

Bulldawg
12-31-2007, 18:33
What do you mean by that comment about the hammock? I am leaning towards a hammock beause of the possible weight and I hate sleeping on te ground. Are they that much better? Which do you recommend?