PDA

View Full Version : What section?

bredler
12-30-2007, 22:58
My friend and I have been planning a two week trip in may, starting around the 10th. We wanted to do something up north, but from all accounts it will still be cold and sloppy up there. So what's a great section south of VA that covers about 200 miles?

bredler
12-30-2007, 22:58
My friend and I have been planning a two week trip in may, starting around the 10th. We wanted to do something up north, but from all accounts it will still be cold and sloppy up there. So what's a great section south of VA that covers about 200 miles?

Could also include some VA I suppose, but that's where I live so it's a little disenchanting to hike there (here?).

Smile
12-30-2007, 23:00
Start with the Shennies, go south :)

A-Train
12-30-2007, 23:04
You can't really go wrong with ANY section between Springer Mtn and Waynesboro VA from May 10-24th.

To maximize scenary, probably from Erwin TN to Atkins VA, which I believe is about 200 miles.

You'll probably get several good suggestions here from people. This is a very high traffic time on the trail in NC/TN and southern VA, so if crowds aren't your thing, you may want to consider the Shenendoahs, Northern VA or the mid-Atlantic

bigcranky
12-30-2007, 23:25
You could just go to Damascus, and start hiking south. Two weeks should get you to Hot Springs or Davenport Gap. Great time to hike.

Alternatively, you could go to Springer and start hiking north. Two weeks will get you up toward Franklin or NOC. It'll be less crowded there, as most of the thru-hikers will be north of the Smokies. Again, great weather. Warm but not too hot.

Yahtzee
12-30-2007, 23:39
Dream two week route in the south for me would be Carver's Gap to Mt. Rogers. About 150 miles. Just the prettiest hiking. And varied. You got the Humps, Overmountain, Laurel Creek, Watauga Lake, Whitetop and the Grayson Highlands.

Or just start at Springer.

bredler
12-30-2007, 23:45
You can't really go wrong with ANY section between Springer Mtn and Waynesboro VA from May 10-24th.

To maximize scenary, probably from Erwin TN to Atkins VA, which I believe is about 200 miles.

You'll probably get several good suggestions here from people. This is a very high traffic time on the trail in NC/TN and southern VA, so if crowds aren't your thing, you may want to consider the Shenendoahs, Northern VA or the mid-Atlantic

What's your favorite part of the mid-Atlantic? (I hear PA is a killer)

You could just go to Damascus, and start hiking south. Two weeks should get you to Hot Springs or Davenport Gap. Great time to hike.

Alternatively, you could go to Springer and start hiking north. Two weeks will get you up toward Franklin or NOC. It'll be less crowded there, as most of the thru-hikers will be north of the Smokies. Again, great weather. Warm but not too hot.

What do you mean by NOC?

Start with the Shennies, go south :)

How crowded is that going to be? I've been up to the shennendoahs a bunch of times and it's a beautiful area, but how far do you have to hike before you stop seeing "people stuff?" I like the NC idea because it is so far removed.

I'm also looking for some decent elevation changes. I'm going through my Thr-Hiker's Companion too, but I'd like to have opinions of people who have hiked these sections as well.

bigcranky
12-30-2007, 23:58
What do you mean by NOC?

Nantahala Outdoor Center, in Wesser, NC. About 30 miles south of Fontana Dam.

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2007, 00:01

What do you mean by NOC?

How crowded is that going to be? I've been up to the shennendoahs a bunch of times and it's a beautiful area, but how far do you have to hike before you stop seeing "people stuff?" I like the NC idea because it is so far removed...
Pa is very nice from Md state line to Duncannon.
NOC - Nantahala Outdoor Center is a rafting center (primarily), but it also has an outfitter and resturant and some lodging. It's about 134 miles north of Springer, where the AT crosses US19 (~12 miles west of Bryson City, NC)
It will be crowded, probably not as crowded as SNP. However, you will be amongst many thru-hikers, unless you start at Springer then it probably will be pretty good.

excuses
12-31-2007, 00:09
Damascus south would be a nice 200 miler. There are varied hiking there as well as anywhere in the South. NOC is Nantahala Outdoor Center (mile 133.9). in North Carolina near Franklin.
Anywhere will be great.

astrogirl
12-31-2007, 00:58
Carver's Gap to Mt. Rogers (or add 25 miles to each end if you want to hit 200) would be awesome in May. I did that mileage in May myself, but not the same May. :D

I will say -- it was 21' at Overmountain when I was there in May, 2005. It's a gorgeous place, but even in May, you can freeze your tail off at elevation. Last year, it was over 90' when I crossed Bald Mountain last May 1. I've had a hard frost at Loft Mountain Campground in the SNP on May 17, and that's not so far south of Herndon. I love the AT in May, but the weather can do almost anything.

Tennessee Viking
12-31-2007, 01:13
My friend and I have been planning a two week trip in may, starting around the 10th. We wanted to do something up north, but from all accounts it will still be cold and sloppy up there. So what's a great section south of VA that covers about 200 miles?If you want to join in all the fun and excitement, hitting Virginia and Tennessee around May will be the main thru pack going into Trail Days.

If you want something more secluded, start further south either at Wesser and head north.

The Mechanical Man
12-31-2007, 02:19
Is Pa too far North?

If you want to avoid the hiking crowds of summer,..............
It won't be cold or sloppy here then, and you could avoid the worst of the heat and thunderstorms most thru-hikers experience, by doing the AT in Pa. in May, for your vacation.

bredler
12-31-2007, 03:44
Trail days should actually be a lot of fun. Never knew when it was, so I didn't know to plan for it. We just might stop by for a day.

bredler
01-01-2008, 18:46
bump...seven char

Cookerhiker
01-01-2008, 18:55
Is Pa too far North?

If you want to avoid the hiking crowds of summer,..............
It won't be cold or sloppy here then, and you could avoid the worst of the heat and thunderstorms most thru-hikers experience, by doing the AT in Pa. in May, for your vacation.

The southern stretches all mentioned are good but this above suggestion also has merit. You could also consider hiking NJ, NY, and CT in May for the same reasons as above; hiking without bugs and excessive heat.

emerald
01-01-2008, 21:32
I hear PA is a killer

Pennsylvania isn't the killer, to use your word, some make it out to be. It's really more a matter of some hikers having little experience with negotiating a rocky treadway and not employing summer hiking strategies.

Summers are hot in Pennsylvania. You won't find me hiking much once the mountain laurel blooms in early June. If I need or want to I can pound out plenty of Pennsylvania A.T. miles in the heat, but I rarely have a need or desire.

rafe
01-01-2008, 23:09

Just a lotta jagged little rocks, mostly, and not much water late in the season. As far as verticals go, PA is one of the easiest states on the AT. PA his its own... err... charm, in a way. Duncannon, Port Clinton, Palmerton... the Water Gap.

emerald
01-02-2008, 00:01
PA his its own... err... charm, in a way. Duncannon, Port Clinton, Palmerton... the Water Gap.

Stirring with a paddle tonight _terrapin_, aren't ya?:rolleyes:

rafe
01-02-2008, 00:09
Stirring with a paddle tonight _terrapin_, aren't ya?:rolleyes:

Huh? What'd I say? I was trying to say something nice about PA. Is that allowed? Oh. OK, I'll stop...

emerald
01-02-2008, 00:15
I was trying to say something nice about PA. Is that allowed?

I have little use for abuse tonight and ought to go to bed anyway. Good night and Happy New Year.

The Mechanical Man
01-02-2008, 00:22
I played Guitar Hero (a new tv-video game) with my son tonight.
If you win a game, it says Player one, or two, whatever you are, .......ROCKS

What the $#@! does that have to do with this thread?

I am kicking myself for that one, ............but I did sleep in Pa last night.

:)

emerald
01-02-2008, 06:34
So did I and I slept well. Today is a new day. A cold and windy day is expected.

ki0eh
01-02-2008, 09:40
The good and the bad thing about PA is that if you walk or drive around the corner, it seems everything changes.

I read a nice statement of that the other day. Said that PA was not a melting pot but a stew, where the flavors of the components are influenced but not obliterated by the other elements.

The GET paths through PA (Mid State, Standing Stone, Tuscarora) offer a different experience than the A.T. Many might think it better, others perhaps not. Wish there were more long distance hikes reported on the other paths to compare.

emerald
01-03-2008, 02:20
I read a nice statement of that the other day. Said that PA was not a melting pot but a stew, where the flavors of the components are influenced but not obliterated by the other elements.

I had to think for a moment about what ki0eh wrote and the more I ponder it, the more I think I've read it somewhere before maybe even not as a description of Pennsylvania although I can't recall where I saw it.

I believe it's an apt description of Pennsylvania. It's various regions which are all distinctive in their own way, the people who populate them and hold on to what makes them different from other people while not forgetting they are also part of a greater whole is something all Pennsylvanians can point to with pride. I have little doubt William Penn would be pleased.

gold bond
01-03-2008, 11:46
I have little use for abuse tonight and ought to go to bed anyway. Good night and Happy New Year.

Thas a change of pace!!;)

Cookerhiker
01-03-2008, 18:25
......The GET paths through PA (Mid State, Standing Stone, Tuscarora) offer a different experience than the A.T. Many might think it better, others perhaps not. Wish there were more long distance hikes reported on the other paths to compare.

I'm probably hiking the Laurel Highlands Trail sometime this winter.

Jack Tarlin
01-03-2008, 18:34
I'd go from Hot Springs NC to Damascus VA; or Erwin TN to the Mt. Rogers Headquarters; or Damascus VA to Pearisburg VA.

If you want fewer people I'd go somewhere between Pearisburg and Waynesboro.

Of these, at that time of year, I'd start in Erwin and continue to around Atkins VA. You'll get to see the area south of Roan Mountain; the spectacular stretch just north of there; the pretty (and easy) stretch to Damascus; and a great bit of SW Virginia, including the Grayson Highlands/Mt. Rogers area.

The Mechanical Man
01-04-2008, 03:34
If I was you...............I would just wait at the Doyle hotel for everyone, get a room for 2 months.

ki0eh
01-04-2008, 08:25
I'm probably hiking the Laurel Highlands Trail sometime this winter.

Not part of the GET, although now I've got a bit of a hankering to do the LHHT after discussing in another thread how to shuttle it on Amtrak, hope they don't shut the trains down by next year which is probably the earliest I could start.