PDA

View Full Version : trekking poles

travis71
12-31-2007, 10:59
Hey all, I am in the market for a pair of trekking poles. I have posted on a couple of other forums, but want to get a wide range of opinions. I am a big guy, at 6'3" & 255 lbs (probably more because of the holidays :P ) and dont want to get poles that are going to snap like a twig when I catch myself with them. I also am not a fan of spending $150 for a pair of poles. I have been looking at

Leki Ultralite Ti COR-TEC Trekking Poles

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2532201

any opinions on these, or other poles? Any other clydesdales out there have an opinion to offer?

thanks!

Trav

SmokyMtn Hiker
12-31-2007, 11:19
I have the Leki Core-Tec poles, thay are the aluminium poles not the ultalite Ti poles. I received them for C.Mas so I have only used them once. I done a lot of research before I picked them out and Leki seems to be the best and they also have lifetime warranty against poles breakage if that is a worry for you. The ones I have retailed for $140 but found on ebay brand new for $112 shipping and all.

Bearpaw
12-31-2007, 12:16
I too am a big guy. I completely splintered two pairs of poles on the AT (as in broke multiple sections). I broke more later on while I was working as a NOLS instructor. The only poles which have NOT broken on me are Black Diamonds and a single pair of Leki Super-Makalus.

I definitely prefer Black Diamonds to all others I have tried because I really like rgw Flicklock mechanism which is secure, yet easy to adjust on the go. I despise twist lock poles as I've had MANY (read nearly ALL) lock up on me so that I couldn't scope them down without two pairs of pliers. It doesn't sound like such a big deal until you want to strap them to your pack when using an ice axe or your hands or you want to hitchhike and prevent leaving them in somebody's car.

Consider the Black Diamond Trail (http://www.rei.com/product/750190) or for better durability the new Black Diamond Contour Elliptical (http://www.rei.com/product/760976). They both use double flicklocks unlike earlier versions with the lower Binary Lock which some people had problems closing.

For my size I wouldn't trust any pole with the word "ultralight" in the name. For the abuse I lay on poles, it would likely mean "ultrabreakable".

Lone Wolf
12-31-2007, 12:17
Hey all, I am in the market for a pair of trekking poles. I have posted on a couple of other forums, but want to get a wide range of opinions. I am a big guy, at 6'3" & 255 lbs (probably more because of the holidays :P ) and dont want to get poles that are going to snap like a twig when I catch myself with them. I also am not a fan of spending $150 for a pair of poles. I have been looking at

Leki Ultralite Ti COR-TEC Trekking Poles

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2532201

any opinions on these, or other poles? Any other clydesdales out there have an opinion to offer?

thanks!

Trav

try hiking without them or get some used ski poles

Hooch
12-31-2007, 12:19
I use the Black Diamond Contour poles and love them! I got 'em on eBay for about $55 plus shipping. The Flik-Lok system is da bomb! Makes for super easy adjustment and very secure. Well worth the money, in my opinion.

Roots
12-31-2007, 12:26
My husband and I have used Komperdell poles for about 5 years. Ours are the antishock and we have beat them to death. Up until about 6 months ago, my hubby was a big feller (he's lost about 80 lbs:banana ). We've never had any trouble out of them until about a couple months ago when they started to slip. But these poles have A LOT of miles on them. Good luck with your search.:)

travis71
12-31-2007, 12:58
The thing that attracts me to the Leki poles are the lifetime warranty. I am not a fan of the twist locks though, which the BD poles avoid... I dont suppose the BD poles have any sort of warranty?

Bearpaw
12-31-2007, 13:06
The thing that attracts me to the Leki poles are the lifetime warranty. I am not a fan of the twist locks though, which the BD poles avoid... I dont suppose the BD poles have any sort of warranty?

Leki's warranty is sometimes dicey if you can't do an exchange with a brick and mortar retailer. I returned my Lekis after my thru-hike, had confirmation from USPS they recieved it, they said they didn't and I never got any replacement poles. This was in 1999, and I hear they've improved, but I wouldn't trust Leki.

Black Diamond has a fairly limited warranty listed here (http://www.bdel.com/warranty.php).

However, my recommendation is to order from REI. Their return policy is simple; if you're not happy with it, return it for full refund. REI.com is always open.

rafe
12-31-2007, 13:09
No need to spend a lot on poles. I've seen them for as little as $30 for the pair. My Lekis were $50, six years ago... they've covered about half the AT or so.

IMO, it's important that they be fold-able. I fold them at the trailhead and strap them to my pack when heading into town. No problems with the twist-lock mechanism. It's pretty rugged.

travis71
12-31-2007, 13:30
http://www.secondascent.com/bd_spire.php?gclid=CJursKKF05ACFQGzGgodBhvtWQ

I think I can get a pair of these on the cheap.... any reason NOT to? They looked like the ellipticals you linked on REI (Bear). Not being familiar with any models, I am afraid of overlooking a crucial detail that a more seasoned vet may notice, but I will miss. /panic!!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Nitro
12-31-2007, 13:30
It's just my opinion, but ....

Save weight / spend money elsewhere.

Check out the SwissGear poles at Wal-Mart. ~21.00 a pair. All the ones in the stores seem to have the cork handles, but the website ones have the standard handles.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5723661

Works for me.

Bearpaw
12-31-2007, 13:40
http://www.secondascent.com/bd_spire.php?gclid=CJursKKF05ACFQGzGgodBhvtWQ

I think I can get a pair of these on the cheap.... any reason NOT to? They looked like the ellipticals you linked on REI (Bear). Not being familiar with any models, I am afraid of overlooking a crucial detail that a more seasoned vet may notice, but I will miss. /panic!!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I own the Spires and I like them. The only concern is that some folks have trouble with the lower binary lock. You just push in on the two little dots and push the lower section closed, but if you get it just a little off track, it won't close. You just have to practice and push hard. If you can get them for less than the $109.99 of the Contour Ellipticals, it would be a great deal.

travis71
12-31-2007, 14:26
Thanks again for all the input guys... really helped educate me!

turtle fast
12-31-2007, 14:30
Yep, I gotta second the Swiss Gear Walmart poles....for the price can't be beat...aluminum with cork handles which grip well...better than the older model that had plastic handles with small useless compasses in them.
They take a beating, just check them out in the store....I saw 2 of them that were missing baskets.

mudhead
12-31-2007, 14:56
I use the Black Diamond Contour poles and love them! I got 'em on eBay for about $55 plus shipping. The Flik-Lok system is da bomb! Makes for super easy adjustment and very secure. Well worth the money, in my opinion.

Some day I need to figure out eBay.

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2007, 14:57
Yep, I gotta second the Swiss Gear Walmart poles....for the price can't be beat...aluminum with cork handles which grip well...better than the older model that had plastic handles with small useless compasses in them.
They take a beating, just check them out in the store....I saw 2 of them that were missing baskets.
I use them also, but beware, I've seen many that don't lock properly, i.e. when I put weight on them they slowly retracted (like they do when you unlock them to collapse). Just check them out before purchasing.

SunnyWalker
01-01-2008, 00:08
I used the Walmart Swiss gear for one section hike of 10 days. Seemed great and I am sold on using trek poles. These are still ok and I'll setout with them again. -SunnyWalker

dgrimes21
01-01-2008, 02:28
I just dropped 21 bucks on the wal-mart poles. Hiked the Approach Trail a couple days ago and loved them. :banana

NICKTHEGREEK
01-01-2008, 12:00
try hiking without them or get some used ski poles

Take it one step more- visit a ski shop and find out what size and type poles the fitter suggests for a person of your size.

rafe
01-01-2008, 12:11
Take it one step more- visit a ski shop and find out what size and type poles the fitter suggests for a person of your size.

Well, since most trekking poles are adjustable length, why bother?

Also, I'm not so sure ski poles are (in general) any cheaper than trekking poles.

As I understand it, the "rule" is the same for both kinds of poles, and it's pretty simple -- with the pole in use, you want your elbow bent at a comfortable angle, and your forearm roughly parallel to the ground.

Don't forget that the bottom end of a ski pole (from basket to tip) will normally be be under the surface of the snow. Just pointing out one obvious difference from trekking poles...

travis71
01-01-2008, 13:21
I got a pair of the BD Spires from ebay for ~ $75 shipped. Still roughly $50 more than the Swiss Gear from Wal Mart, but I think I will be happy with my decision. It maybe a ridiculous angle to take, but I was really wary of getting the cheapo SG poles. I figure its a live & learn thing with these, if I get em & they are junk, or I eat em, then I will try the cheapos next time. But I couldnt pass up the buy on the Spires. It seemed to be a good deal to me.

Wolf, I didnt mean to blow off your suggestion about NOT using poles. I have been doing day hikes only (usually 6-8 miles) for a few months now, sans the poles. TBH I dont think I will use them most of the time. But on the relatively steep ascents with the rocks & hidden under wet leaves, I really want them. The poles are light & I can clip em to my hydro pack when not needed. As I said, I am (right now) just doing day hiking. Carrying a pack thats not UL is no big deal to me. I think I would prefer the poles to carrying a heavy stick that I CANT clip off when I dont need it.

Tinker
01-01-2008, 14:56
Poles are also useful for holding the corners of a HH tarp up for better views in wet, non windy conditions.
I'm about 220 and use a pair of Leki "Healthwalk" trekker poles I bought cheaply at Sierra Trading Post. They are heavier than a lot of poles I've hefted at retailers and carried by other hikers. I've put all my weight on them on a number of occasions without a problem. I trust the name brand, though that isn't necessarily a guarantee of performance or durability.
I figure that until I get under 200 lbs. (if ever), I probably shouldn't worry about carrying a few extra ounces where strength is the most important factor.

SunnyWalker
01-02-2008, 21:45
If they work for you, thats what you need. Enjoy. -SunnyWalker