PDA

View Full Version : colored tyvek

Belew
12-20-2003, 17:33
This is kind of an odd question I have.I just bought an ultralite backpacker a_sym and im getting the materials together to make a blanket with tyvek on the outer layer to go under the hammock. What I what to know is have any of you tryed to dye the tyvek. Im thinking about getting some green dye.

Rain Man
12-20-2003, 20:37
This is kind of an odd question I have.I just bought an ultralite backpacker a_sym and im getting the materials together to make a blanket with tyvek on the outer layer to go under the hammock. What I what to know is have any of you tryed to dye the tyvek. Im thinking about getting some green dye.

No, but contact DuPont and they will be able to tell you if you can and how.

hoz
12-21-2003, 19:16
Tyvek is spun olefin (plastic) and doesn't take "dyes" too well. I have heard you can color it using acrylic paint and hand rubbing it into the fabric. I am going to try using a regular acrylic house stain the next time I make something from tyvek.

Rain Man
12-21-2003, 22:09

For what it's worth, this is from the DuPont web site itself, which site I found pretty darn WORTHLESS on the Question of whether or not Tyvek can or cannot be dyed. I did email them and if I get a response, I'll post it.

http://www.dupont.com/packaging/products/tyv_tips.html

Tyvek Tech Tips

INKS

Using the proper ink is important for achieving high-quality results.

* Alcohol-Based Polyamide Inks -- These solvent-based inks typically provide the best adhesion and rub resistance. Adding microcrystalline wax will reduce offsetting.
* Water-Based Inks -- These inks help users remain in compliance with state environmental regulations while achieving high-quality results.

Please contact us for the names of some of the companies that supply inks which can be used with TyvekŪ in both the lithographic and flexographic processes. Undoubtedly, there are other suppliers who are capable of producing satisfactory inks for use with TyvekŪ. This list is intended only as a guide and is not a recommendation of any specific company.

Inks

Using the proper ink and following these specific recommendations are important for achieving high-quality results.

* Low-Solvent-Content Inks -- Use inks with <3% volatile solvent because hydrocarbon solvents found in many litho inks tend to swell and distort TyvekŪ. Using low-solvent-content inks also benefits the environment because these materials release fewer volatile organic compounds (VOCs) than traditional offset inks.
* Extra Strong Colors -- Use extra strong colors to keep ink film thickness to a minimum (<0.3 mil [<0.008 mm]). This will help minimize sheet distortion and dot gain.
* Tint Creation -- Use opaque white rather than an extender when creating tints to minimize the appearance of fiber swirl.
* Fountain Solution -- Maintain fountain solution at a minimum level. Either conventional water or alcohol/water dampening systems can be used. Alcohol substitutes also work well. If your images appear dull or washed out, reduce the amount of dampening solution in the fountain; do not increase the ink volume.
* Drying -- Because litho inks dry more slowly on TyvekŪ than they do on paper, be sure that pile height does not exceed 20 in. (0.5 m). Winding the sheets and maintaining the fountain solution at a pH between 4 and 5 will also accelerate drying.

Rain Man
12-30-2003, 14:36
For what it's worth, this is from the DuPont web site itself, which site I found pretty darn WORTHLESS on the Question of whether or not Tyvek can or cannot be dyed. I did email them and if I get a response, I'll post it.

After a few "worthless" back-and-forths with DuPont, here's what DuPont finally said about dying Tyvek:

"We do not recommend it. You could do your own test. Conventional textile
dyeing processes do not impart permanent color to TyvekŪ. You can use any
water based or acrylic latex paint. DO NOT use "oil based" paints because
they will cause the Tyvek to "swell" (pucker). "The physical properties of
TyvekŪ are the same wet or dry". The best way to determine which paint will
work best for your application is to "make your own tests before use."
Testing can be done on the blank side of a Federal Express envelope.

"Lastly, should you have additional questions regarding the use of TyvekŪ
and/or paints, please contact Jack Collison at 1-866-580-8440 for guidance."

"Tyvek can be purchased in about 25 different colors from a company called
FiberMark www.fibermark.com 800-784-8558."

"Louise Pope"

Belew
12-31-2003, 19:00
First of all, Thanks for the info Rain Man and hoz. I think for this first underquilt I'll just try to get it to keep me warm and dry. Next one maybe I'll add some color to it.

So far I have some idea's that I haven't put together yet. I have some tyvek that I found at a job site, an old kelty summer slee :sun ping bag for insulation and I bought a pack of 4 Sierra Designs Grip Clips. Dirty Old Man has a post under Hammock Camping called Hennessey Underquilt Project. He has sizes listed to cut the quilt. I think I will follow that loosely to cut my bag and the tyvek a bit larger.One problem I have is my bag has insulation only on one side. I don't think it will be wide enough to use. I did just find out that the REI store a couple hours away sells sleepingbags for a song now and then. I need to get one to use instead of what I have. If you're not familiar with grip clips look it up. I like them. You can mount them anywhere on nylon temporary or for good. I plan on mounting them to my hammack around the top rim of the nylon just below the netting to tie the quilt to the hammock. So far that's all I can come up with. When ever I finish it I'll post some pictures.