PDA

View Full Version : How many rest breaks in a day?

rickb
12-31-2007, 12:47
Not including a stop for lunch, how many rest breaks do you take over the course of an average hiking day? For purposes of the poll, I think a break could be defined as anytime you sit down for a bit.

Lone Wolf
12-31-2007, 12:50
about 5.. at least 1 is a BOB (boots off break)

Bearpaw
12-31-2007, 12:51
I probably average one every couple of hours. I try to time them with water sources.

ShakeyLeggs
12-31-2007, 12:56
I like to take as many breaks as I can. I am not out there to bust my butt, I am out there to enjoy myself and enjoy being in the woods.

rafe
12-31-2007, 12:56
No set number, but at least one 15-minute break for every couple hours of walking. A longer one for "lunch." If the weather's nice, or if it's really hot, maybe more. If it's raining or cold and there's no easy shelter access, I just keep moving. I usually look for a nice spot... something with a view, or a cool stream...

Roots
12-31-2007, 12:57
I guesstimated about 3 to 4 breaks. It really depends on the mileage. If I average a 9 mile day, this is probably the max for breaks.

I'm with you LW! My poor little bad feet have to air quite frequently while out there.:)

KG4FAM
12-31-2007, 12:58
I take a break if I need to fill up water or get to a nice view. I try to keep my pace at a speed that I can walk all day and not have to stop rest

rafe

Makes sense if you're wearing heavy boots... but do you still need that, walking with trail runners?

Kirby
In the wilderness I did one a 5 minute break every 2 miles of hiking, and it worked quite well.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
12-31-2007, 12:59
hell yeah. shoes and socks off feel good

Roots
12-31-2007, 13:04
DITTO!! I have worn shoes before and still needed to air the feet. Like I said before, though, I have crappy feet (flat footed with no heel) and airing and stretching the feet is aahhh mazing!!:D

Kirby
12-31-2007, 13:05

I usually used my lunch break for that. I figured that since I was going to take sometime to enjoy my lunch, I had might as well take off the boots and socks. I usually wore my crocs during the breaks.

Kirby

MOWGLI
12-31-2007, 13:11
All depends upon the time of year, the nature of the hike, and the climate. In the heat I'll take more breaks. If it's raining - fewer. If it's wintertime, you don't have a lot of time to take breaks. On the Florida Trail in about three weeks, we should be able to crank out some miles because of the terrain - even though there won't be a lot of light. The weather and the insects may dictate the frequency and length of breaks for me.

On the JMT in '06 I tried to take at least a 1 hour siesta at lunch most days. Plus a break every hour or two. With lots of sunshine, if you get an early break on the day, you can take lots of breaks, a long lunch, and still do 20 miles if you want to.

On the AT, you'd be wise to get going early when the weather gets warm, and try and crank out some miles before it gets too hot. That's what I like to do anyway. YMMV

Kerosene
I tend to take rest breaks more often when I'm hiking with someone else, typically at or near the top of a long climb or at a scenic viewpoint. When I'm hiking solo I tend to just keep movin' forward, although I may slow down a bit when I'm tired. I typically take my boots off for lunch, and during summer I tend toward an early dinner before hiking for a few more hours.

yappy
I am with the wolfster... about 5 or so and take my shoes off at least once...

rafe
12-31-2007, 13:16
On the AT, you'd be wise to get going early when the weather gets warm, and try and crank out some miles before it gets too hot. That's what I like to do anyway. YMMV

Took me a while to learn that trick. Good idea to take it easy during the hottest part of the day. Get serious miles in between dawn and 1 PM; take it slow for an hour or two, then crank the pace back up between (say) 3 PM and sundown.

Alligator
12-31-2007, 13:17

Makes sense if you're wearing heavy boots... but do you still need that, walking with trail runners?

hell yeah. shoes and socks off feel goodSame here, even with lots of mesh trail runners. Nice thing about my Salomon trail runners is the quick lace locks. It's really no hassle to pop off the shoes.

Lone Wolf
12-31-2007, 13:17
i only hike between 8-4

MOWGLI
12-31-2007, 13:23
Took me a while to learn that trick. Good idea to take it easy during the hottest part of the day. Get serious miles in between dawn and 1 PM; take it slow for an hour or two, then crank the pace back up between (say) 3 PM and sundown.

On my thru-hike, once I reached Shenandoah NP I liked to try and do 10 miles by Noon. If I could do it, that would make for a relatively easy 20 mile day.

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2007, 13:26
i only hike between 8-4

Union hike?

dessertrat
12-31-2007, 13:28
I try to take a break every couple of hours. It is said that in the first ten minutes at rest, you get rid of about 30% of built up lactic acid, and then no more than 10% per hour after that. In other words, that short break does quite a bit for you. However, taking breaks much longer than a few minutes can be counterproductive.

NorthCountryWoods
12-31-2007, 16:50
Always noticed I need more breaks in the morning rather than later in the day. Usually 2 or 3 before lunch an usually only 1 after.

Also need more breaks on the first day of an extended hike or the day after a zero.

Weird.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-31-2007, 17:43
Breaks as needed - usually a short one every couple of hours and at least one long one (usually combined with lunch) - a second longish break for dinner before moving on to whereever I plan to camp.

Yahtzee
12-31-2007, 18:01
I'd say near 10 every day. 5 or 6 short breaks and at least 3 good half-hour or more breaks. Breaks are good.

Kirby
12-31-2007, 18:10
On the other hand, I take next to no breaks when it is ****ty weather. I tend to keep on moving to where I am camping.

Kirby

rickb
12-31-2007, 18:11
And in bug season, too.

rafe
12-31-2007, 18:19
I suspect I'm not the only one to notice this... but I often make better miles on gloomy, rainy, or overcast days. Less stopping for views and breaks, lots of motivation to make those miles and get to camp.

Yahtzee
12-31-2007, 18:31
I suspect I'm not the only one to notice this... but I often make better miles on gloomy, rainy, or overcast days. Less stopping for views and breaks, lots of motivation to make those miles and get to camp.

I think my average is a lot lower on rainy days. Less motivation to get out of bag and put away tent in the rain, so starts are later. Hard to leave shelters in the rain when you reach them, so breaks are longer. Also, more apt to call it day earlier if I hit a dry warm spot mid-day. All these add up to shorts days in the rain.

Kirby
12-31-2007, 18:32

That's the case for me as well. I move faster because there is nothing interesting to look at, and I know that the faster I move, the quicker I get into camp and become dry.

Kirby

AT-HITMAN2005
12-31-2007, 19:06
taking your shoes/boots off helps keep blisters under control i think. dry feet are happy feet. i usually take mine off for lunch. i would take 3-4 depending on length of the day, weather, views, water, whatever. more views more breaks though.

Smile
12-31-2007, 19:14
In the summer, I have a tendency to do an afternoon nap at one of my rest breaks. Days are longer, not as much rain (hopefully) ahhhhhh.

bigcranky
12-31-2007, 19:51
I like a long, long lunch break in summer. The old "ten before ten and five after five" trick suits me pretty well. Up and on the trail by first light, then find a nice shady spot to hang out for a few hours in the hottest part of the day. If the weather is bad I can set up my tarp. Then head back out by mid or late afternoon and hike until it gets dark. Easy enough to knock out 15-18 miles a day this way.

Doesn't work so well in the winter, of course. Not enough daylight, and too cold for long breaks. But I still like a long-ish lunch break.

I do try to stop for a ten minutes break ever hour and get my pack off.

Montego
01-01-2008, 00:31
I'm like Wolf, only hike between 8 - 4. I like my camp time to relax and enjoy the surroundings.

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 00:35
I like to take breaks at cool spots. That ain't always going to be my camp. So there are times when I have been known to put my hammock up and take a nap even in the middle of the day.

Blissful
01-01-2008, 00:37

Yep. Also a good way to prevent foot problems and blister woes.

Blissful
01-01-2008, 00:38
I liked to take breaks at scenic overlooks and a shelters so I could sign the shelter journals and catch up with others.

Sly
01-01-2008, 00:40
It depends on how often I want a cigarette.

Javasanctum
01-01-2008, 00:49
Never be in a hurry... soak it in, the end will wait for you.

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 00:51
It depends on how often I want a cigarette.

i'm gonna start smokin' so i can take more breaks

Tinker
01-01-2008, 03:12
I said 5-10. I usually take a fair amount of pictures and enjoy talking to other hikers. Whenever there's a nice sunny spot on a cool day I like to take off my shirt, shoes, and socks and let them dry in the sun while I soak up a few rays.

WalkingStick75
01-01-2008, 12:09
I have stopped for a view walk 5 minutes and find another view, time for another break. If your on vacation (I did section hikes) you should be enjoying yourself and taking in all that you can. In most cases what does it matter if I get to camp 10-15 minutes later?

Wilson
01-01-2008, 12:13
Something close to 5 min for every hour walked. Sitting or laying with feet elevated.