PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone hike NC-GA this past week?

The Doctor
12-31-2007, 13:10
Despite the rain and cold on friday and sunday, the hiking was great from Winding Stair Gap to Hiawassee. Many great views were had on the clear days and many ominous clouds led to mysterious hiking on the rainy days. We only managed 9 miles on thursday(started at noon) and camped by big spring shelter. Due to rain only completed 7 miles on friday and stayed at Carter Gap Shelter(the new, yet skanky one). Saturday we kicked butt and hiked a new record of 21.5 miles to Plumorchard Gap Shelter (nice triple decker). Sunday was another rainy day and we didn't leave until 1pm when the rain subsided. Thaks alot to StumpKicker for giving us a hitch from Hiawassee to Daniels Steakhouse/Buffet <------Good Luck on your through hike(he's starting today 12/31/07).

We met a lot of nice folks and many hunters and dogs were also seen. Congrats to the through hiker comong from Maine (should have finished by tonight to enjoy the party at Springer).

Chaco Taco
12-31-2007, 13:30
Little bear and I headed out of the NOC Friday morning. Got just to the Jump Off and turned back. They were calling for 50 mph winds and bellow freezing temps. The rain was so so so awful. Streams were coming down the trail and we were soaked to the bone. Neither of us had expected it. The day before they were calling for 60's and partly cloudy. Very disappointed but made the right decidion.

Phreak
12-31-2007, 13:46
I did the Coosa Backcountry Trail with Egads on Saturday. Beautiful weather and all the water sources were flowing.

Egads
12-31-2007, 18:09
Thank goodness deer season is over in GA. We heard gun shots and passed a fresh kill ON THE TRAIL about a 1/4 mile later. Dumb A__ hunter.

Egads

take-a-knee
12-31-2007, 19:42
Thank goodness deer season is over in GA. We heard gun shots and passed a fresh kill ON THE TRAIL about a 1/4 mile later. Dumb A__ hunter.

Egads

You get scared of being within 1/4 mi. of gunfire? I guess being one of four guys going into into a room with everybody shooting live ammo isn't for you then.

rafe
12-31-2007, 19:55
I've heard plenty of gunfire while hiking the AT and other trails. Not my favorite thing to hear in the woods. It's up there with road noise and chain saws on the "disagreeable" index.

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2007, 19:56
Something about the sound of gunfire, I love it, especially large caliber rifles.

Lone Wolf
12-31-2007, 20:00
I've heard plenty of gunfire while hiking the AT and other trails. Not my favorite thing to hear in the woods. It's up there with road noise and chain saws on the "disagreeable" index.

i love the sound of high caliber weapons in the woods. usually means backstraps!! :)

Kirby
12-31-2007, 20:05
I don't get scared by ths sounds of gun fire in the woods, I am just more alert of what's happening around me, and keep an eye out for the hunter(s). If I can see the hunter(only happened once), I get his attention and let him know there is a human in the vicinity, he was quite pleased I notified him of this.

Kirby

Bulldawg
12-31-2007, 22:56
This thread sort of got off track, but we hiked to Springer Thursday from FS 42. I had my kids and wife with me. We may have even seen you guys leaving as it was about noon when we headed south from the parking lot. My 7 year old really wants to try to do all of Georgia, but it is taking a while. She does real good for about 5 or 6 miles and then wants to stop. But she doesnt really want to camp, so we just do what we can. I had promised her we would do Springer over Christmas break, so we ALL did it. Her, the 7 year old, my 5 year old son, my wife and I. The kids really liked getting up in the loft at the shelter. The weather threatened, but we had decent views from the summit. I really flirted with the idea of taking the BMT down from the summit but I wasn't sure about letting the wife and son wait on us alone way up there (The daughter would have done it had I wanted to).

On a side note. I am wanting to do a three day, two night deal in the spring. The furthest I've ever hiked is about 8 miles. For you guys that are in the know, could I do Springer parking lot to Neels Gap in that time, or would that be pushing it? Remember, 8 miles with about 15 pounds is my maximum ever. I am thinking I might had better shoot for Woody Gap, but I'd hate to show up at Woody Gap and have to wait 5 hours on my ride when I could be hiking. Thanks!

Bulldawg
12-31-2007, 23:05
Here is my plan right now, since Im sort of sitting here over my holiday vacation planning this thing. Springer parking lot to a mile or so past Hightower Gap on day one. More than likely a Hammock hanger, so I can camp almost anywhere. From there to just beyond Woody Gap on day two, probably on top of Big Cedar dependant on the weather I guess. Then over to Neels Gap on day three. Day two is the one that worries me. All of them would be a first for me, so far as mileage, but I think I can do it. I guess I could stop short of Woody Gap on day two, but that makes day three a stretch. Opinions?? Thoughts?? Do you guys that do these 4 or 5 day hikes plan for a decompression day before going back to work or do you end like on a Sunday and go right back to work on Monday? Thanks a lot!

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2007, 23:16
...On a side note. I am wanting to do a three day, two night deal in the spring. The furthest I've ever hiked is about 8 miles. For you guys that are in the know, could I do Springer parking lot to Neels Gap in that time, or would that be pushing it? Remember, 8 miles with about 15 pounds is my maximum ever. I am thinking I might had better shoot for Woody Gap, but I'd hate to show up at Woody Gap and have to wait 5 hours on my ride when I could be hiking. Thanks!
That would be about 10mpd in some tough sections, especially after Hawk Mtn Shelter. You might want to just go to Woody Gap. What kind of terrain was it when you did 8 miles?

Bulldawg
12-31-2007, 23:25
The eight miles was mountainous terrain. While I havent looked at the elevations there, I might ought to before getting to far into this deal. The farthest I've been with a good deal of weight (probably 15lbs) was Neels to Hogpen. Wildcat was a bear for me then. I carried so much because I had a 6 year old with me. Basically all she carried was her hydration pack. Thanks for the input.

Bulldawg
12-31-2007, 23:25
What do ya think about four days, would I be better to plan that length for me in 4 days? I might can stay out there 4 days.

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2007, 23:34
You wouldn't have to do over 8 mpd, so that's better, just make sure you have a bail-out plan, just in case.

max patch
12-31-2007, 23:36
Well, you're going to be hiking longer than you've ever done before while at the same time carrying around twice as much weight as you've ever carried. I'd probably err on the side of caution and suggest Woody Gap for this first hike. Heres what I'd do:

Day 1: USFS42 to Hawk Mtn. This is an easy hike, don't have to worry about getting an early start.

Day 2: Hawk Mtn to Justus Creek.

Day 3: Justus Creek to Woody.

Remember, if you finish early you can always hike past Woody and turn around and return; don't need to wait 5 hours for your ride.

Three days to Neels is definitly doable; I'm just reluctant to suggest it since we don't know your backpacking pace with a full pack.

Bulldawg
12-31-2007, 23:42
Thats the kind of suggestions Im looking for. Appreciate it a ton. Now, let here to pro and cons of hammocks. I have a Brazillian hammock here at home. I can sleep for hours and hours out back in that thing. Get me a six pack of bottles, a good book, and I'll be asleep long before I finish either of them. Plus add that to the fact i HATE sleeping on the ground. So I want to hear pros and cons. Thanks again!!!

excuses
12-31-2007, 23:44
If you did hogpen to neels then you know the up and down you'll be doing. Your hike is doable if the weather cooperates. I did hightower to neels in 2 days late summer ( when water was short). The extra weight you'll be carrying for cold weather may stretch you. If you haven't already looked at this, here is elevation data http://pathways.uwe.ac.uk/thedatabook/index.php?pg=1
good luck

Phreak
12-31-2007, 23:50
You get scared of being within 1/4 mi. of gunfire? I guess being one of four guys going into into a room with everybody shooting live ammo isn't for you then.

What the hell does this have to do with this thread?

Bulldawg
12-31-2007, 23:54
What an awesome site!!! THANKS!

Bulldawg
12-31-2007, 23:58
Oh man, I checked the elevation map, Woody Gap to Neels is a booger. Might even take me two days to do that section alone!!!

max patch
01-01-2008, 00:05
One last thought before I call it a night. Yes, 3 days to Neels is very doable. On my thru I was at Neels for lunch on the 3rd day: Springer to Gooch Gap Shelter (removed) to Blood Mountain Shelter to Neels at noon.

I still think you should shoot for Woodys for your hike for the reasons already stated. You mentioned something in a later post that reinforces my opinion. You stated you like to read. So if you get to your stopping point a couple hours early its no big deal to kill time with a book and an adult beverage. Thats how I approach my section hikes these days.

EAnderson
01-01-2008, 00:19
We hiked Winding Staircase to Wayah Bald last Thursday before the rain hit. Lots of gunshots, but was told there was a shooting range close to Wayah Gap. We ran into one SOBO hiker who had started August 1st. He seemed excited about getting close to the end.

SteveJ
01-01-2008, 02:02
<clip>On a side note. I am wanting to do a three day, two night deal in the spring. The furthest I've ever hiked is about 8 miles. For you guys that are in the know, could I do Springer parking lot to Neels Gap in that time, or would that be pushing it? <clip>

Hi, John. I'm a little confused - will you be bringing your daughter with you? If so, I definitely think this is a stretch. Given the fact that you haven't been on a trip like this before, may be a stretch for you alone. Last April I hiked much of this section with my 11-yr old. Trip report here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=349933&postcount=5

You should be able to make Hawk Mtn Shelter the first night, with a relatively early start.

I hiked from Hawk Mtn Shelter to Gooch Gap with my 11 y.o. - about 9 miles. This should be do-able for you. It's a decent place to camp, with a reliable water source.

Assuming a 9 or 10 mile day on the Day 3 puts you at Woods Hole Shelter - a 3 mile hike over Blood Mtn away from Neel's Gap. Even without your daughter, and you never having backpacked like this, this might be a stretch for you..... If there's a way for you to make this a 3-night trip, do so! Camp at the Slaughter Creek campsite the 3rd night, an easy mile or so past the blue-blazed trail to Woods Hole Shelter. You then have an easy hike into Neel's Gap the next day, with time to stop and enjoy the views at Blood Mtn.

Enjoy your trip! My son and I went back in August and did Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap - trip report here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=382339&postcount=14

Have fun planning - and enjoy your hike!

Steve

Bulldawg
01-01-2008, 02:16
No, I dont really think so. Her interested in this is what has gotten me into it. Sort of weird, but that was the deal. I dont know if she'd go for nights out in the woods quite yet. She just turned 7 in September. She has camped, but no backwoods camping.

Egads
01-01-2008, 09:28

Take a knee, I consider it poor form to shoot towards a trail with hikers on it, and also to make fun of other Whiteblazers. The doe was killed on the trail. We did a 12.7 mi loop Saturday and encountered ~18 hikers including children.

Your presumption is in error. You have mistaken outrage of irresponsible hunting for fear.

Egads

flagator
01-03-2008, 13:05
John,
I wanted to share with you my routine, althouigh it was a 3 night. This past weekend, 12/27 - 12/30/07 My girlfriend and I just did the section from Neels Gap to Amicalola Visitor center in less than 3 days. Day 1 We parked at Amicalola, got a shuttle at 2, and arrived at Neels at 3. We did this strategy because ascending and descending Blood Mountain is probably the most challenging part of this section. So day one we had less than 3 hours to set up camp in Slaughters Creek from Neels Gap. We planned it this way so we were nice and fresh for a relatively difficult climb, plus it was wet from the day befores rain. We did it with plenty of light to spare. Next day it poured down rain all day, and I hate stopping in the rain so we put in ~14 miles to get to Gooch mountain shelter, we pulled in there at about 3pm and it was our final resting point for the day. Next day we did around ~12 to get to Stover Creek Shelter at about 4pm. Our final day we got up very early, were atop Springer by 8:15, and cruised into Amicalola because it is mostly downhill. We signed out of the visitors center by 2:00 the very latest. This was my gf's first ever long distance hike and she did just fine. Yeah her legs were killing her, but we hiked hard as hell, got into camp early, slept 10+ hours and were fresh every time, we had a great time. I dont think any 7 yr old could handle this routine, but i'm certain that you could. Just get into camp early, eat a lot, drink a lot, go to sleep early by nightfall, and get up early and hike on. From my experience if you work really hard during the day, you sleep like a baby at night and are some what fresh and ready to go. You an do more than 8 miles a day so long as you take care of your body. My gf went to sleep every night exhausted and complaning about being tired, and every day she woke me up ready to get started. Just shows you good nourishment, hydration, and a long warm nights sleep can go a long way.

Pedaling Fool
01-03-2008, 13:12
John,
I wanted to share with you my routine...
That's a great trip report. IMO that's the best route to take over Blood Mtn. (North to south); I'd much rather ascend steep terrain(north slope) and descend a gently slope(south slope), much easier on the KNEES.

flagator
01-04-2008, 12:55
Exactly. It is so much easier on the knees.

Lil'Joe
01-04-2008, 13:23
i love the sound of high caliber weapons in the woods. usually means backstraps!! :)

Amen LW!

take-a-knee
01-04-2008, 13:54
What the hell does this have to do with this thread?

Sorry Phreak, hoplophobes and rabbit people really trip my trigger man.

whitefoot_hp
01-14-2008, 17:27
Oh man, I checked the elevation map, Woody Gap to Neels is a booger. Might even take me two days to do that section alone!!!
Ive done it in an afternoon...

max patch
01-14-2008, 17:30

Its not really that bad. Worse part of that section is the shuttle.

whitefoot_hp
01-14-2008, 17:47
Its not really that bad. Worse part of that section is the shuttle.
yeah pretty long shuttle for ten miles of trail.

this hike is not difficult at all. elevation chart must be misleading. reason # 456 to burn it.

jmcdonou
01-14-2008, 17:50
Friday night I hiked the Panther Creek Trail. My feet got soaked so I got into my sleeping bag pretty early. I gave my dog my down vest. She appreciated it

The Doctor
01-14-2008, 18:19
yeah pretty long shuttle for ten miles of trail.

this hike is not difficult at all. elevation chart must be misleading. reason # 456 to burn it.

Yep, damn those useless maps

Yahtzee
01-14-2008, 18:38
What an awesome site!!! THANKS!

Taking your 7yr old out hiking. Now that is awesome!

Enjoy.