PDA

View Full Version : AT Sections Hiked in 2007

Kerosene
12-31-2007, 13:17
Which major sections of the AT did you hike in 2007, either partially or in their entirety? Thru-hikers can save time by checking the "Thru-hiked" box.

Roots
12-31-2007, 13:22
We did Wayah Bald to Fontana. AWESOME!!!:)

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2007, 14:03
Did Springer to Damascus (April/May).
Doing Springer to Harper's Ferry this year (2008), probably start mid-March. Decided less than a month ago, so I've been dehydrating everyday to get ready.

rafe
12-31-2007, 15:00
Lehigh Gap to Kelly Knob (VA, a couple days N of Pearisburg.) Finito. Yay!

burger
12-31-2007, 19:34
I did Franconia Notch, NH to Caratunk, ME (with, uh, a bit of yellow blazing in there). It was absolutely amazing--maybe the best 3 weeks of my life.

Sadly, I don't have any plans to get back on the AT next year, but I head north from Springer for 3 or 4 weeks as a warm up before I head out to the PCT.

Lilred
01-01-2008, 11:05
I only managed to get from Bland to Catawba. A new house and a son going off to college drove me off the trail sooner than I wanted.....

Come this June, I'll start in Catawba and get as far as I can get in 4 weeks. Lord willin and the creek don't rise...........

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-01-2008, 11:37
No place to choose 'no section' this year - this has been one hell of a year for me for so many reasons - relationship problems, kid problems, mom got really ill and then frolicked off to golden trails, Dad obviously needed a lot of my time..... I'm praying 2008 is better.

-SEEKER-
01-01-2008, 14:33
Did Springer to Unicoi. I'm with Frolicking Dinosaurs, 2007 was less than good.
Will pick back up at Unicoi this year and head north 'til I can't go anymore or I hit Katahdin!

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2008, 15:41
No place to choose 'no section' this year...

Yeah, I was all set after recovering from an L3-L4 disc herniation last year to hike some of the Whites in late summer. Blew out the L4-L5 disc just when everything seemed better.:( :mad: Hoping to be able to lift and carry 30 to 35 pounds by late spring. I may have to become a UL gram weenie just to be able to ever hike again.:-? :eek:

Tinker
01-01-2008, 16:01
Conn. was good exercise. Too many people (though I didn't have any trouble with any - just a little more crowded than farther north). It's part of the trail, though, and I'd like to be able to have hiked the whole thing before I take the big sleep.
New York and New Jersey, here I come!:rolleyes:

sasquatch2014
01-01-2008, 17:54
The joke is i am becoming a "Ru" hiker. I keep getting only Half of a state done at a time. Just really hit the AT for the first time this year in Aug. I have completed basicly half of MA, MD, CT and almost all of NY. A trip in two weeks will complete all of NY except about 8 miles.

Hitch
01-01-2008, 18:21
Did Rutland,Vt to Cornwall Bridge, Ct. Hope to go from Rutland To Katahdin in 2008.

rafe
01-01-2008, 18:30
The joke is i am becoming a "Ru" hiker. I keep getting only Half of a state done at a time. Just really hit the AT for the first time this year in Aug. I have completed basicly half of MA, MD, CT and almost all of NY. A trip in two weeks will complete all of NY except about 8 miles.

If the state in question is Virginia, doing half is a serious accomplishment. There are an infinite number of ways to hike the length of the AT and yours will be truly your own. In a sense, a thru-hike is the least imaginative approach. Springer to Katahdin, March to August... wham bam thank you ma'am. :D

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 18:35

best way to enjoy the AT and backpacking in general. thru-hiking the whole damn thing in one shot is WAY overrated

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-01-2008, 19:02
Yeah, I was all set after recovering from an L3-L4 disc herniation last year to hike some of the Whites in late summer. Blew out the L4-L5 disc just when everything seemed better.:( :mad: Hoping to be able to lift and carry 30 to 35 pounds by late spring. I may have to become a UL gram weenie just to be able to ever hike again.:-? :eek:
Dear Bespeckled Scavenger,

Make whatever changes you need to to keep hiking - it beats the alternative.

Love,
The Voice of Experience

Cookerhiker
01-01-2008, 19:05
Covered the 100 miles of Vermont from Mass to Rt. 4 as part of my Long Trail end-to-end hike.

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2008, 19:43
Dear Bespeckled Scavenger,

Make whatever changes you need to to keep hiking - it beats the alternative.

Love,
The Voice of Experience

Thanks o' prehistoric toe nibbling voice,;)

I understand you have been through quite a bit of physical trauma and rehab yourself. Kudos to you for not giving up and for getting on with life.

I have a LESI(lumbar epidural steroid injection) tomorrow a.m Hoping it cuts down some of the inflammation, radicular pain, and numbness which has subsided with the aid of time and PT since the last injury two months ago, but is still at that "always there" annoying level.

Biggest problem is now is with a history of spinal injury on multiple levels I'm probably never going to be able to lift/carry anywhere near the weight I used to - at work or play. We(me, doc, PT) are shooting for a 35 lb limit as a reasonable recovery goal over the next several months. I'm looking into lighter equipment overall and body/front packs like the ones from Aarn and Luxurylight as possibilities that might help both redistribute and get the weight on the hips most efficiently. Good news is I ultimately recovered very well in 2003 from the original L3-L4 injury and was pain free for 3+ years and hiked, skied, played golf, etc with only minor restrictions. So we are staying positive about the chances for winning this latest setback as well. Too many things at stake not to succeed: hiking, golf, skiing, etc. I'm not retiring to the full time Texas hold'em table yet.:)

astrogirl
01-01-2008, 21:54
I did Hot Springs to Erwin and Fontana south to the NOC in 2007. I did the Smokies and continued up to Hot Springs in 2006.

This year, I'm doing the NOC to Springer. I'm thinking I'll do it SOBO, but i have not decided.

The drive down to the southern parts of the trail is just getting too long!

Gaiter
01-02-2008, 00:29
Delaware Water Gap, PA to Big Meadows in SNP, 6wks this fall have a few little sections that i yellow blazed for various reasons here and there to go back an hit, a good excuse to visit those areas again.
web.mac.com/thickredhair

Gaiter
01-02-2008, 00:31
it just occurred to me that since i did my section this past fall, i have more hiking miles than post again, but not by very much:eek:

peanuts
01-03-2008, 11:32
no luck for 2007:( hoping for better this year...:)

maxNcathy
01-03-2008, 11:52
Springer Mountain to Hot Springs+
My first hike over 50 miles long.GREAT trail and great friends and a mixed bag of hot and cold weather.
Sandalwood

Small Steps
01-03-2008, 13:02
Did Springer to Newfound Gap (May/June).... Heading further north this year about the same time...

warren doyle
01-05-2008, 14:35
2007 was a good section hiking year for me.
Plan to finish my 7th AT section hike by 4/4/10 to go along with my 8 thru-hikes. Plan to finish my 9th thru-hike by early September 2010 with the Appalachian Trail Circle Expedition.
Plan to do central VA (Land of Neon to Waynesboro) over spring break (2nd week of March) and finish Maine/NH/VT and MA this summer. Then I will only have SNP and northern PA, NJ and western NY to finish (excluding the 2010 Expedition practice hikes which will cover from Front Royal, VA to Rt. 309 in PA). My last section will be the 3+ mile section from Rt. 55 to BUlls Bridge - finishing in the state of my youth where all my AT hiking started.

sourwood
01-05-2008, 18:37
Did a late spring trip between Palmerton and Dalton and a late summer trip from Kinsman's Notch south to Dalton. Now I'm finished with the AT! On to the next adventure!

Julie

slowandlow
01-05-2008, 19:46
Amicalola to Damascus for my wife and I. 2006 was Harper's Ferry to Damascus. For 08 it will be Harper's Ferry to Katadhin.

LIhikers
01-06-2008, 20:41
My wife and I hiked Lee,MA to Manchester Center,VT during August of 2007.

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2008, 20:50
Interesting poll results so far:
Most hikes seem to be in the Smokies/NC, with Georgia a close 2nd. Way down the list are the Whites (N.H.) and Maine and SNP w/ only about 13%.

Evidently, all the traffic that AMC experiences is not from Whiteblaze.

High Life
01-06-2008, 22:13
thru hiked without knowing i was gonna thru hike . was a amazing experience . especially when you have people like L wolf out there .. thanks so much !

Deerleg
01-06-2008, 22:43
I hiked Unicoi to Fontana (it took me 7 days) in mid October.

About half way through my hike I planed a short day down into the NOC to enjoy a little pizza and beverage and stay at the hostel, and left early the next day for what is one of the most challenging climes on the southern AT heading up toward Cheoah bald. Overall a very rewarding section.

rafe
01-06-2008, 22:56
Interesting poll results so far:
Most hikes seem to be in the Smokies/NC, with Georgia a close 2nd. Way down the list are the Whites (N.H.) and Maine and SNP w/ only about 13%.

Evidently, all the traffic that AMC experiences is not from Whiteblaze.

Whiteblaze isn't representative of much, really. Sad to say, a lot of members here are primarily cyberhikers (or in LW's phrase, packsniffers). I walked 28% of the trail's length this summer, and met approximately zero people (outside of hostel owners, etc.) that knew of the existence of WB. But I should add that I had a lot of solitude on that trip, and traveled well away from the NOBO hordes.

Furthermore, as far as WB itself is concerned, I get the distinct impression that the statistical center of its active population is well below the Mason-Dixon line.

Doughnut
01-07-2008, 06:45
I sectioned Springer to NOC, shakedown hikes (2 seperate). I will section GSMNP in April and Maine in July, preparing for a thru hike in 09!!!

Dough Nut