PDA

View Full Version : Overmountain Shelter

Trail Yeti
10-02-2002, 23:14
This was my favorite shelter on the entire trail:D
For those of you who don't know its a converted barn that has a fabulous view and lots of tent space. When I went through this year the sign had been removed, but that was in April and it could have been replaced by now. Anyway, its a great spot, I just went to it to check it out and was so entranced that I stayed (after only 6 miles),did some other crazy stuff there too but you will have to ask some of the people I was there with about that.
Life is Good, WEAR A KILT!
Trail Yeti:cool:

chris
10-03-2002, 08:29
Overmountain was one of my favorite shelters south of Damascus. The sign was missing in late May this year when I came through. But, as it was at the end of a 22 or so mile day, including going over Roan (but with lots of laying around the Bald), there was no way I was going to miss it.

MedicineMan
10-06-2002, 01:02
Just in case you are curious, I live on Ripshin Lake which
is 2.5miles from Little Rock Knob...on the lake when at the
dam, Little Rock Knoob is due south...next time you are on the
section between Iron Mountain Gap and either Hughes Gap or Carvers
Gap stop on Little Rock Knob and look for a little side trail (.05miles) or less that leeds north, and you will get a birds eye
view of Ripshin Lake....so Overmountain Shelter is just a little climb
and a little walk from my house...I have done the Roan in all directions too too many times.....funny/true story...once when starting at Carvers headed toward Iron Mountain Gap and after the
foundations of the former hotel which stood on Roan Mountain, we passed a man and an old old truck...he was cooking bisquits and offered same to us...we partook of them and thanked him and then hiked
away..it was several miles down the AT when one of us suddenly realized that there was no way for the truck to have been there....
later that day another group of hikers passed the 'Homestead' where we had set up camp. We asked them if they saw the old man and the truck. They replied NO! True story. Circa 1974.

walkerat99
10-06-2002, 07:11
One of my favorite shelters also with plenty of room for everyone. I have been there 3 different years and it was always great. Also a lot of 'ramps' in the area, and two of those years I was there, many local folks were up there getting them by the sack full. I love it down in that area,as you may guess, since I have chosen do that area 3 different times.. Ed

The Weasel
10-06-2002, 10:20
Walker----

For the benefit of everyone else, tell what a "Ramp" is (in the food section) and why it is so wonderful. You might also mention the Ramp Festival near Damascus.

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2002, 19:17
Not merely my favorite shelter, but also my favorite PLACE on the Trail. Note to Class of 2003-----don't miss this place; if it's too early to stop for the night when you get there, at the very least, take the blue blaze down and take a break there, you won't regret it.

chief
10-14-2002, 22:41
i agree with jack, it's my favorite section and my favorite shelter (although i didn't actually sleep in it). outstanding valley views!

The Weasel
10-15-2002, 00:02
And as you take the blue blaze down the the shelter, listen for the distant sounds of the Overmountain Men who walked down that trail before you, and gave us a free nation. It's not just a good place, it's a holy place.

The Weasel

Peaks
10-15-2002, 08:13
Well, I don't know if Overmountain Shelter is my favorite place or favorite shelter on the trail.

But, the one thing that I do know is that when I got there, I realized what a nice and unique place this is. So much so that it is one of the few places where I stopped early in the day rather than hike on to the next shelter. So, that says a lot about this place.

chris
10-15-2002, 08:44
I would say that even if a hiker stayed at Roan the night before, stopping for the night at Overmountain would be a fine idea. Definitely one of my favorite shelters, although Fontana came close, but for other reasons.

stranger
12-13-2002, 00:43
Overmountain is a pretty sweet place, and very unique so say the least. Had a very special moment there in 1995 and can still feel that sun basking on my face sometimes.

Colter
01-20-2003, 13:26
I too thought the Overmountain shelter had some magic to it.

I was hiking with Noodles most of that day, and we swung in to check out the shelter, and if it hadn't been so early in the morning we would have (and probably should have) stayed. The "Barefoot Sisters" and their mom came in while we were there. The old barn has a huge amount of character, it's in a very nice setting, and it's a great section of trail.

When I hit the main trail again I found what I thought was a broken arrowhead not far from the sign talking about the "Overmountain Men." After studying it a while I decided it was a flint from a muzzleloader. (I put it back.)

For some reason, that was one of my favorite sections of trail on the whole AT, too.

I've got a picture of the Overmountain Shelter setting (the shelter in the distance) on my AT page if you want to check it out: Overmountain Area (http://www.bucktrack.com/Appalachian_Trail.html)

Blue Jay
01-20-2003, 17:04
There is another thread discussing the tearing down of all shelters. Obviously those who are in favor have never even seen the Over Mountain Shelter (or Goddard or Tom Leanard, or the last three shelters in Maine, on and on). It is also possible that they are just individuals without hearts.

Alison
01-20-2003, 18:06
You all got me so interested, I just had to do a quick search. Found this link with some great pictures:

http://www.tehcc.org/overmountain.htm

Thanks from a 2003 thru-hiker!

Alison

Ramble~On
10-08-2005, 03:02
I love this shelter. Brings back some great memories

titeloops
10-08-2005, 22:28
I think its one of the places on the trail that's special. To know it was used in gaining the freedom we enjoy today is what makes it so special. The view from the shelter and from the trail above it will always be a memory I won't forget. I didn't spend the night there kinda wish I had though. Hiked from Clyde Smith to Apple house that day only to find that Apple House was not my favorite by any means.

Titeloops

Whistler
10-09-2005, 07:35
Yeah, Revolutionary War connections... Roan Highlands... great views... nice flowers... plenty of space... and usually a kind crowd that's as happy to be there as you are. Great spot.
-Mark

the goat
10-09-2005, 12:44
undoubtedly my favorite shelter, almost took a zero there.

Gray Blazer
10-10-2005, 13:47
The apple house shelter is a dog, especially after the Overmountain Shelter.

Gray Blazer
10-11-2005, 12:44
I did not intend to offend the people who maintain Apple House. The one time I passed, it was not in very good shape.

Tractor
10-11-2005, 13:30
Anyone know how old the current barn structure is? I'll guess it was built between 1935 and 1945 ?? What was that movie that was (at least partially) filmed there a few years back?

My only visit was last year, in the rain. Nice & dry with an awesome morning view but windy out on the "platforms" during supper (and not a problem).