PDA

View Full Version : Suunto???

Thirsty_River
12-31-2007, 14:50
anyone own a suunto alti watch? i may be interested in buying one, but wanted to see how good they work first. i'm looking at the core...

http://www.rei.com/product/760940

thanks

Sly
12-31-2007, 15:12
anyone own a suunto alti watch? i may be interested in buying one, but wanted to see how good they work first. i'm looking at the core...

http://www.rei.com/product/760940

thanks

I have the X-lander that's 6 years old now and it's still ticking. If you can afford them they're a great watch.

D'Artagnan
12-31-2007, 15:43
I've got a Vector and just recently, it's started resetting itself to 6:00 a.m. Anyone ever had this problem. It's about two years old and I replaced the lithium battery about 3 months ago so I don't think that's the issue.

Other than that, it's a great watch and I recommend it.

(I hope this doesn't come across as a hijack -- that wasn't my intention.) :o

rhjanes
12-31-2007, 22:50
I've got a Vector and just recently, it's started resetting itself to 6:00 a.m. Anyone ever had this problem. It's about two years old and I replaced the lithium battery about 3 months ago so I don't think that's the issue.

(I hope this doesn't come across as a hijack -- that wasn't my intention.) :o

actually, it very well might be the battery! Or, water issue. Lot's of batterys off the shelf, are half run down. If you had it done at a place that doesn't do all that many of those type batteries, then that battery might have been discharged. OR, lot's of watches, won't be "good" without a new seal put in. That means, brakeing the seal to replace the battery, and not replacing the seal and now there is water in it.
YMMV

Sly
12-31-2007, 22:59
REI sells a kit, battery, seal and cover for $6

NorthCountryWoods
01-02-2008, 12:43
I've had a couple of Vectors when they first came out and an Advisor w/heartrate monitor for the past 4 years or so. Good multifunction if not a bit expensive.

Noticed it's not a fan of the cold. The display is pretty weak below 15*F and will kill batteries quick. Can't get a battery to last more than a year or so anyway.

Alligator
01-02-2008, 14:34

(I hope this doesn't come across as a hijack -- that wasn't my intention.) :oMine started acting funky too so I replaced the battery. That didn't seem to help. I figured it was shot but then gave it another go with another new battery. That worked, like rhjanes mentioned. It is an oddball size battery, I have had trouble finding it before.

I have a Vector. I don't like this issue with the amount of batteries the watch eats. Could be different with a different or newer model. Mine is several years old. I think I would replace it with a different company's altimeter when it conks out.

Jaybird
01-02-2008, 14:58
http://www.rei.com/product/760940thanks

i got a Suunto Vector for Christmas last year...
i LOVE it...
catch them when theyre on sale...REI carries them & other Outfitters stores

climbabout
01-02-2008, 19:13
I have owned a suunto observer for 4 or five years - replaced the battery a couple of times and I am very pleased with it.
Tim

buckowens
01-06-2008, 21:03
I have had the Vector for about 5 years now. Only one problem since new and that was the bezel falling off while I was in Kosovo. It may have been all the extra gear and such that we always carried, but Suunto replaced it with no problem. I love the watch and have used the altimeter and thermometer while on the AT.

John B
01-07-2008, 09:46
I'd suggest that you check out the new Suunto Core model. It has all the features of the Vector, but they've added a mineral crystal face instead of plastic. From reviews, the Vector's face was easily scratched, such that even wiping it with a cotton cloth wasn't recommended. With the crystal face, you won't have that problem. It's a bit more expensive and about 10 grams heavier, though.

greentick
01-07-2008, 11:57
I've had a couple of Vectors when they first came out and an Advisor w/heartrate monitor for the past 4 years or so. Good multifunction if not a bit expensive.

Noticed it's not a fan of the cold. The display is pretty weak below 15*F and will kill batteries quick. Can't get a battery to last more than a year or so anyway.

Same watch and cold weather problem if off my wrist. I haven't had a prob with the temp issue if I wear it. AFA the battery life. The low batt warning is generous. I have continued to wear mine for 6mos after the warning shows up. When the display gets dim I replace it. I have had mine for 5 plus years and it still works fine.

Uncle Sugar gave me mine so cost wasn't and issue.

scout005
01-13-2008, 19:20
i would stay away from suunto. i've had the vector. major problem and poor customer service.