PDA

View Full Version : I just want to sleep..............

Mrs Baggins
12-31-2007, 17:14
When we started our hike in March we each carried a Big Agnes 2" air core pad. Very nice but just too heavy, and when I was so exhausted in the evening, having to face blowing that thing up was daunting. I'm setting out again in April and I don't want to carry that mattress. I have a Thermorest Z pad but when I try to sleep on that (or a 1" thick self inflating pad) I spend the entire night doing the rotisserie - turn from side to back to side to front to side :(.........and I don't sleep. I want a comfy pad that doesn't weigh as much as the Big Agnes. Does one exist??? I am 4' 10" tall and weigh 120 lbs if that's any help.

rafe
12-31-2007, 17:20
I use a Thermarest Prolite 3 short, about 13 oz. I'm about 5'6" and 170 lbs.

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2007, 17:20
Nope. Nothing lighter than the Big A with that much padding that I know of, and I've been looking really hard for one. You could go with a z-rest or ridge rest closed cell under a thermarest but it'll be a heavier combo than the Big A. Doesn't Big A make a very light(2 oz or so) inflater bag/pump?

wrongway_08
12-31-2007, 17:27
Try cutting it down, I cut mine up and it turned out great. Doesnt take that much time to inflate now and it takes up a lot less room - 8" long x 5" wide x 3" thick. I use my Hiker Pro storage bag to hold it.

here is the link, the photos dont show up anymore but it explains how I did it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27073&highlight=big+anges

trippclark
12-31-2007, 17:29
When we started our hike in March we each carried a Big Agnes 2" air core pad. Very nice but just too heavy, and when I was so exhausted in the evening, having to face blowing that thing up was daunting. I'm setting out again in April and I don't want to carry that mattress. I have a Thermorest Z pad but when I try to sleep on that (or a 1" thick self inflating pad) I spend the entire night doing the rotisserie - turn from side to back to side to front to side :(.........and I don't sleep. I want a comfy pad that doesn't weigh as much as the Big Agnes. Does one exist??? I am 4' 10" tall and weigh 120 lbs if that's any help.

This dilema is the main reason that I have not slept on the ground since 2003, but I expect that you must have already considered and rejected the hammock option for some other reason. Best of luck at finding an acceptable ground solution.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-31-2007, 17:32
Mrs. Baggins, since you are quite short, you might be able to use the z-pad plus a second piece of closed cell foam under your head and torso only (cut down a WalMart blue pad) Your legs will not need as much padding.

Kirby
12-31-2007, 17:42
I have been quite pleased with the peformace of my Thermarest Ridgerest.

Kirby

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-31-2007, 17:45
I have been quite pleased with the peformace of my Thermarest Ridgerest.In my younger days, so was I. however, as hikers get older, more paddiing is needed to be able to rest. I carry a BA insulated air core - heavy, but the only way I can get any sleep (but I am trying out hammock so no need to tell me about them :D)

jlb2012
12-31-2007, 17:55
for a while I used a Exped DAM (9 cm) - eventually I adapted a Coghlans air pump for blowing it up and it was not too bad for pumping the air mattress up - I made a little adapter to fit the pump nozzle to the air mattress valve from a couple shot pieces of two different sized plastic hose and a small piece of CCF to fill the gaps

these days I use one or more WW blue ccf pads in a hammock

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2007, 17:55
I have been quite pleased with the peformace of my Thermarest Ridgerest.

Kirby

A Ridgerest isn't a pad, it's just a thick heavy groundcloth. Wait 30 years and tell me again how comfortable it is.;)

Smile
12-31-2007, 18:43
I have an extra Prolite short pad, it's been used a couple of times, I prefer the long one, PM me if you're interested :)

mudhead
12-31-2007, 19:35
I like a Ridgerest. If you can borrow one, try folding it in two, double thick might or might not work for you. You can figure the length stuff.

Some of those concrete flattened smashed chunks of ground don't work for me, I like pine needles. Good luck.

Auntie Mame
12-31-2007, 21:44
I saw a kids' size inflated mat at our local outdoor store, which might work for the sub 5' crowd. Narrower and shorter than the 66" Big Agnes, but lighter and still somewhat cushy. Pacific Outdoor Equip.? Not positive of the brand. Good luck, keep us posted. Mame

Tipi Walter
12-31-2007, 22:13
I've been thru many different pads, started with the old floppy ensolite, went to a short standard thermy, then a ridgerest(crappy on ice/snow), then some thicker thermys like the full length standard/expedition, etc. Thermarest changed out all their names a couple of years ago so I had to relearn R values, weights and thicknesses, ho hum.

I lived on a Camp Rest at the tipi, went thru several as it became my main mattress on the ground of the lodge. I suppose tossing and turning has something to do with a sleeping pad, the thermys are fairly stiff but warm and comfortable overall.

On a couple of recent winter trips I took a Prolite 4 large(25x77x1.5)and it is very light for its size and comfy but a little thin on ice and snow. My standard load now for the winter is an Expedition thermy(discontinued)which at 25x77x1.75 is just about perfect for what I need. It is heavy, maybe 2 lbs 12 ozs . . . maybe even more. Heck, it might be 3 lbs 6 ozs . . .

My next pad will either be a thermarest Trail Comfort large(heavy)or an Exped downmat 9. I do like the wider pads, I'm spoiled with the 25 inch width and even though I'm sleeping on a 20 inch Standard down at my Chickasaw Creek tent every night, when I go backpacking I must/want/need the 25 inch. Keeps the knees and elbows from flopping off.

Montego
12-31-2007, 22:27
Check out www.pacoutdoor.com (http://www.pacoutdoor.com) . They have an inflatable pad that measured 17x37x1.5 and weighs only 10.5 oz. It's called the "Uber Mtn" and is a little thicker than the regular "Uber Light" because it's classed as a four season pad. I know, you still have to inflate it, but it should be easier since it's a small pad, and weighs less than the BA.

SunnyWalker
12-31-2007, 23:57
Mrs. Baggins: Check out Hennesee Hammocks. It will not necessitate a pad and it will all be lighter then: tent, groundcloth, rainfly, thermarest pad. I am 54 and will never go back to the ground unless I just have to. -SunnyWalker

Tinker
01-01-2008, 03:27

I have an air core mummy and don't consider it heavy (1#5oz.).
Is yours the insulated rectangular one. I imagine that is heavier.
I experimented with my non-insulated pad and found that it is just as comfortable and much warmer if you put closed cell foam on top. You could just use a torso length piece of 3/8 inch ccf and only add about 6 oz.

V8
01-01-2008, 03:55
There's a foot pump by Exped, for their down mats, that's light, very effective, and forms a great pillow - saves all that huffing and puffing. I can go mighty light in order to justify the air core or downmat - a few nights on a z-rest is one thing, but week after week? i think not!

Anyway, it's all a trade off.

Mrs Baggins
01-01-2008, 09:20
Mrs. Baggins: Check out Hennesee Hammocks. It will not necessitate a pad and it will all be lighter then: tent, groundcloth, rainfly, thermarest pad. I am 54 and will never go back to the ground unless I just have to. -SunnyWalker

But how do you always find trees to hang it in??? And doesn't the "sway" in the shape get to your back or make it hard to rollover? And weather issues? And the actual size of it? I have a Hubba freestanding tent that I love to death - not that heavy and very easy to set up and take down.

The idea of cutting up my Big Agnes......at $85 I'd hate to risk ruining it. We also do regular camping, tent and tent trailer, and it comes in very handy at those times. It's just too much to carry every day.

Thanks to everyone for all of the recommendations! :D I'll check out as many as I can.

peter_pan
01-01-2008, 10:04
Hammock for comfort.... done right you will most likely save weight.... there are many options for warmth and comfort....check out Hammockforums.net and JJ's site.

Pan

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-01-2008, 10:31
But how do you always find trees to hang it in??? And doesn't the "sway" in the shape get to your back or make it hard to rollover? And weather issues? And the actual size of it? I have a Hubba freestanding tent that I love to death - not that heavy and very easy to set up and take down. Baggins, I'm currently testing the JacksRBetter Bear Mountain Bridge hammock. It is the only hammock I've found that actually allows you to lay flat. I've had no problem with the usual sag of a hammock or with turning over. This hammock sleeps more like a cot than a hammock IMO. With a CCF pad in the pad sleeve on the bottom of this hammock, I could sleep on my stomach if I wanted.

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 10:35
cots have a sag. you can't sleep comfortable on your stomach in a cot or hammock. can't sleep 2 either

NorthCountryWoods
01-01-2008, 10:39
In my younger days, so was I. however, as hikers get older, more paddiing is needed to be able to rest. I carry a BA insulated air core - heavy, but the only way I can get any sleep (but I am trying out hammock so no need to tell me about them :D)

HA! So true!

When first started out, used to get by with the 1/2" foam roll cut down to save space and slept like a log.

Now I can't sleep in a hotel bed if it's too hard. Bought more pads over the years than anything else. It became evident that if there's one place to NOT save weight, it's in the sleeping pad.

I've been considering the Exped downmat, but the price, not the weight is what stopped me so far.

Tipi Walter
01-01-2008, 12:15
When Mrs Baggins posted there was no mention of hammocks, and yet the 'Mocker fanatics came out to convert. I could do the same by totally changing the subject and recommending car camping as a good solution to Mrs Baggins' dilemma. What's the difference??

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2008, 12:33
When Mrs Baggins posted there was no mention of hammocks, and yet the 'Mocker fanatics came out to convert.

Yes, truly, this hammock jihad has become a major assault on sleeping pads, Mom, and apple pie.:rolleyes:

I could do the same by totally changing the subject and recommending car camping as a good solution to Mrs Baggins' dilemma. What's the difference??

Cars are heavier than most sleeping pads and hammocks, and are not allowed on the AT.

saimyoji
01-01-2008, 13:57
When we started our hike in March we each carried a Big Agnes 2" air core pad. Very nice but just too heavy, and when I was so exhausted in the evening, having to face blowing that thing up was daunting.

There are other options than using your breath to inflate it. There are foot pumps, self inflating pillow pumps, hand pumps, etc.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=40000000226&storeId=226&categoryId=73080&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=244

Nightwalker
01-01-2008, 22:32
A Ridgerest isn't a pad, it's just a thick heavy groundcloth. Wait 30 years and tell me again how comfortable it is.;)

When I sleep on the ground, I use NightLight (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_3_quarter.html) pad. It's a better version of the old Mt. Washington pad. It's made of Evazote foam and is lighter and more comfortable than any other CCF pad that I've used.

Unfortunately, my Winter hammocking setup is just too heavy to want to carry for long trips, but the NightLight pad makes it lots easier to deal with sleeping on the ground.

IOW, I'm about your age, and there is a light, comfy CCF option. :)

rafe
01-01-2008, 23:11
When I sleep on the ground, I use NightLight (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_3_quarter.html) pad. It's a better version of the old Mt. Washington pad. It's made of Evazote foam and is lighter and more comfortable than any other CCF pad that I've used.

Got one of those too. Collecting dust. Useless.

FanaticFringer
01-02-2008, 18:10

No pad needed? Do you use an underquilt?

FanaticFringer
01-02-2008, 18:14
Baggins, I'm currently testing the JacksRBetter Bear Mountain Bridge hammock. It is the only hammock I've found that actually allows you to lay flat. I've had no problem with the usual sag of a hammock or with turning over. This hammock sleeps more like a cot than a hammock IMO. With a CCF pad in the pad sleeve on the bottom of this hammock, I could sleep on my stomach if I wanted.

More folks will truely like the JRB bridge when they start selling the bigger version later this year. The current version is a little on the small size for bigger folks. I'm 5'7 160lbs and it just fits me. Cant sleep on my stomach in it.
Super comfortable on my back and side.

88BlueGT
01-03-2008, 00:14
There are other options than using your breath to inflate it. There are foot pumps, self inflating pillow pumps, hand pumps, etc.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=40000000226&storeId=226&categoryId=73080&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=244

I got out my Big Angnes IAC after work today to check the weight with my digi. Anyway, I have only used it once and it didnt seem that bad but I blew it up today and it did take some time. I dont see it being a problem but just maybe frustrating when your in those "i want to sleep NOW" moods.

But the good part about them is comfort. After I blew it up I layed on it for a minute and the next thing I knew I woke up and it was 2 hours later :)

Nightwalker
01-03-2008, 01:29
Got one of those too. Collecting dust. Useless.

To each his own. Mine feels better to me than a Pro Lite 3.

88BlueGT
01-03-2008, 01:36
Thats the beauty in life... everyone is different :)

Nightwalker
01-03-2008, 02:16
Thats the beauty in life... everyone is different :)

Yup. That's why I (usually) try to remember not to denigrate someone with a different opinion. :)

Sometimes I forget... :o

SunnyWalker
01-16-2008, 21:18
Baggins: I have not had a problem finding spots to hang a hammock. Warm, comfortable, light, dry. There are some positives and negatives. For me the positivies much outweight the negs. The tarp is nice, I put my stuff on the ground underneath it. It is easy to get in and out of (that is the HH). You can lay flat, on stomach or side, etc. I have not had a problem with "swaying". Go the Hammock forums and read. You will find a lot of info there to help you think about it. Adios.

ScottP
01-17-2008, 00:01
After 1 or 2 sleepless nights you'll be able to fall asleep on most any surface.

Tin Man
01-17-2008, 00:50
After 1 or 2 sleepless nights you'll be able to fall asleep on most any surface.

Even a keyboard. :)

Summit
01-28-2008, 08:24
After 1 or 2 sleepless nights you'll be able to fall asleep on most any surface.Revisit that statement 20 years from now! :-?

I just purchased the Big Agnes Dual Air Core - haven't been hiking with it yet, but am also looking for a "blow up" solution. I hear that not only is it a PITA to do when tired and sleepy, but that the moisture in your breath is not good for the insulation in the mattress over time, not to mention that you will have to top off blowing it up again after your breathed in air cools and contracts.

Right now I'm looking at the Big Agnes Pumphouse and the Exped Pillow Pump. Any experiences?

Toolshed
01-28-2008, 08:39
Baggins,
Here's my thoughts:
1. Sleeping and eating are as important to get you down the trail as the walking. If you need to carry that pad, look into a small pump or consider something you have of value to trade off some young "lungy" person when you get to a shelter (if that is where you are staying.) Alright - Keep it quiet Peanut gallery.....:rolleyes:

2. You can cut up a ridge rest (or plain blue ensolite pad) into 18 inch long pieces and using velcro bits with a thermarest, you can add extra padding under the thermarest for your hips and shoulders (Velcro keeps it in place)

3. You will sleep better if you pre-med at night right before sleep with either Ibuprofen or acetaminophen (Tylenol) pain relievers. You will end up feeling less pain from your body's pressure points of contact on the pad and you'll toss and turn much less, leading to better sleep.

BR360
01-28-2008, 11:14
Try blowing it up in bits as you do your camp chores, not all at once.

Mrs Baggins
01-28-2008, 11:29
Baggins,
Here's my thoughts:
1. Sleeping and eating are as important to get you down the trail as the walking. If you need to carry that pad, look into a small pump or consider something you have of value to trade off some young "lungy" person when you get to a shelter (if that is where you are staying.) Alright - Keep it quiet Peanut gallery.....:rolleyes:

2. You can cut up a ridge rest (or plain blue ensolite pad) into 18 inch long pieces and using velcro bits with a thermarest, you can add extra padding under the thermarest for your hips and shoulders (Velcro keeps it in place)

3. You will sleep better if you pre-med at night right before sleep with either Ibuprofen or acetaminophen (Tylenol) pain relievers. You will end up feeling less pain from your body's pressure points of contact on the pad and you'll toss and turn much less, leading to better sleep.

I've always used Ibuprofen and took at least 2 before trying to sleep - - - helped a little. Now there is Advil PM and that is definitely going with me on my next hike!! I won't use Tylenol for many reasons.

At any rate.........hammocks are out. I love my Hubba tent and I'm keeping it. I now have a Sub Kilo Plus Zero degree bag and it's much comfier (plumper) than my Sub Kilo 25 degree bag so I'm hoping that helps.

Summit
03-11-2008, 17:46
I am pleased with the Big Agnes Pumphouse for blowing up my Big Agnes Dual Core pad. It takes a bunch of times opening and closing (filling with air), but you get pretty good and fast at it real quick. It definitely beats huffing and puffing.

My deterrent to a perfect night's sleep still revolves around a good pillow. I've tried everything short of taking the one I use at home every night. I'm currently experimenting with using the BA Pumphouse (after using it as a pump) as a stuffed pillow. I'm testing with a Columbia jacket liner (silky, soft, and fluffy) and/or fleece jackets. It seems that no matter what I use, after a while it gets flat and/or hard. :(