PDA

View Full Version : New Aether!

bredler
12-31-2007, 20:39
I went into REI saturday to try on some packs with my heart set on an Atmos 65. I tried it on and it felt good. But it turns out that I'm in between a large and a medium size :-? . First I tried a large; all the adjustments were bottomed out, and it felt decent except that the shoulder straps it me strange. So I tried on a medium and all the adjustables worked and fit perfectly. Then after wearing it for 30 min or so walking around the store with 25 lbs, I noticed the frame digging into my hips. Unfortunately, the non-adjustability and completely sewn in parts of the Atmos meant that it just didn't fit my body geometry :( . So I tried on the Aether 70 in a medium and it's great! Probably more volume than I need, but to take up the extra room to keep me from filling it with useless crap (an epidemic I've been warned of) if it comes down to it I'll just remove the sleeping bag divider and put my bag in uncompressed. Better for the down and I won't be tempted by empty space.

Now I'm psyched for the trail! :banana <--first use of dancing banana

bredler
12-31-2007, 21:15
Also, the extra volume is going to help with winter hikes when I do them.

Auntie Mame
12-31-2007, 21:31
I just want to extend my hearty congratulations on your first dancing banana. A big night, for sure! And isn't it great to find a pack that sort of feels made for you? Happy New Year, Mame:banana

Topcat
01-01-2008, 07:21
i have had that pack for over a year...and love it. i hope you enjoy using it.

jay590
01-02-2008, 04:27
i have the aether 60 and love it. just got back from a 4 day hike any loved it. its the first time ive used it

Foyt20
01-30-2008, 12:29
I have been looking at the Aether 70 also (waiting for tax return to make a decision) but have recently been intruiged by the Atmos 65. Any suggestions?

PS: I tried on the Aether, with about 35 pounds for about 25 minutes and it felt solid. i do like the simplicity of it, but i also like the idea of the big outside pocket on the atmos, how to make a decision? IDK i am drawn.

Nightwalker
01-30-2008, 17:51
i have had that pack for over a year...and love it. i hope you enjoy using it.

Same here. Got an Aether 70 last January to replace an Aether 60 that had been worn out by 3k+ miles.

I'm gonna re-fit that 60 before Summer and use it again. The G Pack that I used last Summer just wasn't quite an Osprey, if you know what I mean.

Peaks
01-30-2008, 19:37
I've used the Atmos 65 for one multi-day trip so far. It has a lot of good things to offer, but I'm not sold yet on how it fits me. It doesn't seem to ride close to my back at all.
I need to do a couple of more trips with it first.

gldwings1
01-30-2008, 19:51
I LOVE MY AETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It made me a fan of Osprey forever. Hooch makes fun of me for paying for and Osprey, He is a HUGE REI fan, and buys good gear from them but I <3 my Osprey

Hooch
01-30-2008, 20:37
.......Hooch makes fun of me for paying for an Osprey........Nah, I just give ya grief cause I love ya. I think you make excellent gear choices, acutally. :D

Almost There
01-30-2008, 22:55
Love my Aether 70, allows me to pack what I need in the winter and still works just as nice for summer hiking.

High Places
01-31-2008, 08:19
I LOVE MY AETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It made me a fan of Osprey forever. Hooch makes fun of me for paying for and Osprey, He is a HUGE REI fan, and buys good gear from them but I <3 my Osprey

Hey Gldwings1,

I will have to vouch for what Hooch said after your posting. He recommended to me to get ahold of ya. I am in the process of ordering a Aether 85 since they don't carry XL in the store. I was asking in another thread about the OPSREY brand and Hooch pointed me to you.

So you are happy with your Aether. Glad to hear that! Make me feel better about getting it. It will be my birthday's present, so it won't cost me alot either.

bigcranky
01-31-2008, 08:26
I had an Aether 60 for several years -- great pack. Dragonfly has an Ariel 55 (women's version); also a great pack. She spent over a year trying on every light and ultralight pack on the market. Osprey makes good stuff.

Heater
01-31-2008, 09:20
The thing that caught my eye is that "hourglass" shape of the Atmos. I was thinking it might be harder to load and unload. The Aethers have more of a straight side. That might be a consideration.

naturejunkie
02-05-2008, 11:51
This is simply the best pack I have ever owned. It is unbelievably comfortable and feels like a natural extension of my body. The only thing I wish it had was a couple smaller outside pockets. But, all around, just a great pack.