PDA

View Full Version : Foot Pain Recovery

MtnBikerGuy
12-31-2007, 23:24
I have had pain in my foot (heel & arch) for over 10 months. Its worse some days than others. I thought it was age and years of sports catching up with me. After talking to my family doctor, he quickly determined it was classic Plantar Fasciitis. He told me to take it very easy on my feet for a month or so and it could go away. Well, it hasn't and I am going to schedule an appointment with a podiatrist this week if possible. Has anyone had this and can you offer any advise on how to get this to heal as fast as possible. I know the doctor was the expert, but any tips in advance are appriciated. I KNOW more than one hiker has had this problem. This heel needs to heal by April for Springer.

EAnderson
01-01-2008, 00:30
I had Plantar Fasciitis a few years back, and I still have to be careful, but it has gotten alot better. I initially took about a month off from walking & hiking, but it would sometimes flare back up after a long hike or BP. My doctor suggested $300 custom insoles, but before I could have them made, someone else suggested Costum Green Superfeet. These aren't for everyone, as they seem hard to some, but my feet have felt alot better ever since I started using them.

Another major issue was stretching. If I stretch my calf and achilles out well, then it doesn't seem to tighten up as much under my arch. I stretch 2-3 times a day, and before and during all walks & hikes.

I'm leaving end of March, and this is the one issue (next to lightining, hypothermia, drought/dehydration, bears, ticks, homicidal maniacs, and getting my down bag wet) that scares me the most.

Hope this helps.

Sly
01-01-2008, 02:10
Here's some exercises you can do. There's others if you Google.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0180.htm

Gaiter
01-01-2008, 02:18
also i do believe there are some other threads on this, just search it, u might find more info there as well

SteveJ
01-01-2008, 03:27
I had a bout with plantar fasciitis a few years ago, and thought it would never go away.... Best advice - stretch! Stretch the plantar tendon underneath the foot as many ways as you can. I also gave myself a foot massage as many times a day as I could, focusing on really working the tendon to stretch it out... Take anti-inflammatories - don't know if they help, but at least it felt better... I also have custom made orthotics (another condition - morton's neuroma). I have high arches, and found that I really needed to wear the orthotics while I was dealing with the plantar fasciitis.

Good news is that once it went away, I haven't had an issue with it since....

Tinker
01-01-2008, 03:36
I had this condition about 30 years ago to the point where it hurt just to stand. I got custom orthotics and after a few weeks the pain went away. I've been able to get by with Superfeet green orthotics and even got lucky when I bought a pair of Chaco boots on sale which came with 2 pair of orthotics which I consider to be superior to the Superfeet in durability. Some boots come with very nice orthotics, but, in your case, I suggest going with customs until your condition stabilizes. My feet are very flat. In fact, I've been to podiatrists who said my feet are the flattest that they've seen.

mudhead
01-01-2008, 06:55
I got relief by rolling a can of beans under the arch of my foot, while sitting in a chair. On rug, straight out, and back. 1-2 minutes to start, then more pressure, longer and more frequent. Match the can size to your arch size.

Different footwear, arch support, for long term relief.

I used Hannaford Dark Red Kidney Beans, but I figure pintos would work as well.

Good luck.

Fannypack
01-01-2008, 07:55
achilles heel stretch

take-a-knee
01-01-2008, 08:25
Get a hold of the book "Fixing your Feet". REI sells it. If by chance you are overweight that is an aggravating circumstance for plantar fasciitis.

VAGator
01-01-2008, 08:36
This time two years ago I was having my second bout with Plantar. This one was more difficult to get under control and included a new podiatrist, new orthotics and a new recommendation that I will carry with me in May for my first section hike to Troutdale, VA. I sleep with a rather clunky cushioned restraint on my right foot that keeps my foot slightly stretched. I get out of bed without pain and am hopeful the hike will go well. My training and 10 mile hikes in Grayson Highlands went well in October and recently. This time only my right foot was affected for some reason or I would have to make room for 2 of these bad boys. I would suggest a doctor's visit and follow his or her recommendations. Good luck!

Mrs Baggins
01-01-2008, 08:51
I'd been hiking and backpacking for 6 years when we set out on what we hoped would be a thru-hike in Mar 07. I'd NEVER had any kind of foot pain until about 2 days into the hike when it felt as though my arches and ankles were going to explode. The pain was hobbling and even as many as 12 Ibuprofens in a day did very little. Finally my insteps became inflamed and swollen and we had to quit. The podiatrist told me I have an extra bone in the instep of each foot and a tendon attached to those bones. That tendon was collapsing. I have very low arches, nearly flat feet. I had Super Feet in my boots but they did nothing to help. I opted for the $300 custom orthotics and am back on my feet hiking again with no pain. I will wear those for the rest of my life if necessary. They were worth every dime.

rickb
01-01-2008, 08:59
I sucked it up and paid a few hundred buck for custom (rock hard) insoles from a podiatrist.

Best money I ever spent.

I forget how long it took to get back to normal (perhaps a month?) but once my feet felt better I stopped using the orthotics and have not had any returning issues some 5 years later. While the insoles did provide some immediate comfort, their real value to me was enabling my foot to heal.

The pain from plantar fasciitis is hard to appreciate (especially when you first get up) if you have not experienced it.

mudhead
01-01-2008, 10:45
The pain from plantar fasciitis is hard to appreciate (especially when you first get up) if you have not experienced it.

The first step is really vile.

superman
01-01-2008, 11:10
Originally Posted by superman http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=403194#post403194)
I've had on going problems with heel pain since I hiked the AT in 2000. I've been to the foot doctor a bunch of times and tried all kinds of stuff that only made it worse. The pain is on the back of my heel and goes up the Achilles. I've done the heel cups, stretching, 800 mg Ibuprofen twice a day, etc, etc.
Almost sounds like this could be a bad case of Achilles tendonitis. If so, then you might want to consider physical therapy combined with ultrasound, infrared heading, and massage. I had a severe case due to a combination of soccer and backpacking (trying to walk up hills with a 40-pound pack with my toes pointed uphill instead of pigeon-toed). Took about 3 months but as long as I keep up with my exercises I no longer have problems.

Kerosene posted the above concerning my foot condition. I had started using DMSO for the pain but then I realized I wanted to stop the cause of the problem. I had been going to a VA foot doctor for years who was pretty close to useless in dealing with my feet. I went to a real doctor (non-VA) who knew what the problem was immediately and knew what to do about it. In addition to what Kerosene said to do I was sent to a physical therapist who used iontophoresis and cryotherpy. I just completed 12 sessions of treatment. The pain in my left foot is about 95% gone and the pain in my right foot is about 70% gone. I'm told that if I continue to do the exercises that they will continue to get better. What a pleasure it was to talk to a doctor who wanted to deal with the source of the pain and not just take more stuff to cover up the pain.

Smile
01-01-2008, 11:23
I had PF in one foot, and I saw a program about an ultrasound treatment you can get that was pretty expensive that 'fixed' it, basically broke up all of the lactic acid concentrated there and allowed you to stretch and heal (the back of the leg and the plantar area)

I looked into it, and it was around $1200 ( last year's prices). Ouch!

I asked my local chiropractor about the ultrasound machine in the corner of his office, and he said that he could use it on my foot for 5 minutes at a time, and it was $15 for the US. I had seven treatments over 3 weeks - I never had it return! I stretched before and after I went in, and walked every day ( sometimes I would walk to the office, it's less than 3 miles) and that was a huge help. :)

Nearly Normal
01-01-2008, 11:30
Superfeet,
Blue for everyday, green for hiking.
They need a short break in period.
cheaper than the insert your doc will make you.

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 11:33
I don't think Superfeet is the answer for everyone. I have had PF before and SF didn't help one bit. What helped was lots of stretching and some exercises like heal raises and toe raises. The other thing that helps for me is the other end of the spectrum for super feet and that is cushion sole insoles. For guys like me with the high arches and very ridge feet, a little extra shock absorber under the sole is what you need more than an arch support.

Smile
01-01-2008, 11:35
Superfeet wrecked my feet on my hike. They work for some, but not for all. Isn't there a thread on Superfeet somewhere?

I did see these online, unusual :)
Titanium Spring Insoles (http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74973.asp)

drumbeat
01-01-2008, 12:49
Have tried superfeet, orthotics, all kinds of foot pads and nothing has worked. Going for the ultrasound treatment for the next and hopefully last phase of treatment. Friend of mine swears by the ultrasound treatment. No matter the cost, it has to be fixed, keeping me off of multi day trips.

Mother's Finest
01-01-2008, 14:24
ten months is a long time to suffer from pf

your feet do not support your body properly. in almost all cases, pf is caused by the foot over-rotating (or pronating). proper calf stretching is an important component of healing this problem, but supporting the foot properly is the most important issue you will face for long term prevention of recurrence.

however, in most cases stretching is not going to do anything about what caused the problem in the first place. back to the foot and its ability to support the body properly.

most of the time when people come into my store, they have tried stretching, they have tried over the counter arch supports (super feet, etc) and they are still having problems.

other than taking it easy, you do not mention any other remedies you may have tried. you need to have your feet supported properly in your shoes. this goes for shoes you walk around in, shoes you work in, shoes you hike in. some type of insole will need to be added. for some, a super feet type of over the counter orthotic will help. it may support your foot enough to take away your pain.

but to restore proper function, you will need to have an orthotic made for your feet, your body weight and your activity level. meaning that a person that hikes fifteen miles a day needs more support than a person that walks around a mall. also, you need just enough support for your foot to flex naturally, so weight needs to be taken into account. a 200lb man that carries a 50lb pack needs more support than a 200lb man that carries a 25lb pack.

the only other consideration you have with pf is going barefoot. do not do it on any hard flat surfaces. birkenstocks, haflingers, stegmans are all good brands of clogs that will have a cork footbed and support your arch. when you take off your shoes at home, put these clogs on. keep them by your bedside so that when you go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, you can slip them on. do this till you leave for you hike and you will be fine.

personally, you should not mess around with pre made archh supports. get yourself a set of the best orthotics on the market. i make them at my store everyday, i wear them everyday and would never use any other type of orthotic. www.solesupports.com (http://www.solesupports.com) to find a practicioner in your area that can provide you with this orthotic. make sure you are comfortable with the practicioner, as they will be responsible for taking a cast of your foot and assessing them for flexibility.

do not have your podiatrist make you an orthotic unless he is using the Sole supports lab. all orthotics are not created equally. I gain nothing by advocating them, I am a certified pedorthist that uses the product in my practice.

good luck

peace
mf

Mother's Finest
01-01-2008, 14:28
regarding ultrasound treatment.

while this may help you and has helped others in the past, it is doing nothing about the cause of the problem.

I always tell people that they may do nothing and the problem may go away. A person may also put a pebble under their tongue and pray.

I hope the ultra sound helps.

peace
mf

mudhead
01-01-2008, 16:20
Those look goog. I have tried to find a locater search function on that site, but have been unable. Am I just being dense?

As all inserts are not created equal, so are CPEDs. A store was listed in Bangor, ME. Turns out that individual had not worked there, or any other of their branches in some time. Frustrating in the twillies sometimes.

drumbeat
01-01-2008, 16:32
According to the podiatrist that I am going to, the ultrasound treatment is the next step if the orthodics are not working. The orthodics have helped some but still only about 40% after 10 months of use. Hey, if the pebble under the tongue would work, I'd be up for it, these suckers hurt, but for now, leaving it in the hands of the doc. Thanks for humor though :-?

regarding ultrasound treatment.

while this may help you and has helped others in the past, it is doing nothing about the cause of the problem.

I always tell people that they may do nothing and the problem may go away. A person may also put a pebble under their tongue and pray.

I hope the ultra sound helps.

peace
mf

Deadeye
01-01-2008, 18:48
This helped me with achilles tendonitis, but it's primarily designed for PF. It gives a real gentle stretch for hours. Not even so much a stretch as an extended relaxed posture (hard to explain).

Good luck - this stuff takes a long time to heal.

http://www.thesock.com/

oldfivetango
01-01-2008, 18:49
footsmart.com it's really all you need to know.I have the cheap inserts
and a pair you "custom made" by standing in molds and sending them off.

Also,exercises help;like waving "bye bye" with your toes for a minute or
two before you get out of bed followed by rolling a can of tomatoes
(16 oz size is about right) back and forth with the sole of the affected
foot.rubbing the heel with ice also is good initially.

With the exercise and the inserts you will outlive it-I did.
Oldfivetango

Toolshed
01-01-2008, 19:19
Nice advice MF. I am also going through a bout now (since this October) and then had PF last in 1996 - It took at least 4 months to go away back then.

SuzyQhoo
01-01-2008, 20:50
I was sidelined from running by PF. I tried many different treatments (Physical Therapy, Ultrasound, stretching, custom orthotics, wearing a night brace--this did help some, and cortisone shots). It gradually healed in its own good time.

In addition to all the great information you have already received here, I'd like to add:

-the book Pain Free by Pete Egoscue to complement Fix Your Feet. Pete's book has helped my knees and back as well. It's a great book to have on hand.
-a nightbrace might help and if you do get up at night, slip on your shoes with your arch supports. I was told not to walk around without my arch supports, except while in the shower ;)
-can of beans is great, and I also use a tennis ball for massaging the arch
-I think someone suggested some ankle exercises, here's another: sit in a chair, cross your legs and spell out the alphabet using your toes as the pointer...by the time I get to L, I'm tired! Another exercise is to take your shoe off and place a towel out flat on the floor. Place your foot at the bottom of the towel and using your toes only, scrunch your toes up and pull the entire towel toward you. This stretches the tendons in the arch. I, personally, hate this one, but you do what ya' gotta do.
-Ice, Ice, Ice. Fill up Dixie cups with water, freeze them, then you can peel the paper and ice the arch. Check with your Dr. and see how often they recommend, usually several times a day, along with some sort of oral anti-inflammatory.

I, too, have had custom orthotics. Twice. No more. You have to replace them every year. My doctor suggested trying several different off the shelf ones (costing the same amount or less than custom ones would have cost). SCORE! My favorites are: Montrail, SOLE, (http://www2.yoursole.com/) and Shock Doctor Ultra 2 (http://www.shockdoctor.com/shop/product.php?productid=16225&cat=266&page=1). The Montrail and SOLE brands are heated to form a custom fit. The Shock Doctors are ready to wear out of the box and have this builtup triangular shape in the forefoot just like my custom orthotics had.

Good luck and I wish you speedy healing!

Mother's Finest
01-02-2008, 12:09
Those look goog. I have tried to find a locater search function on that site, but have been unable. Am I just being dense?

As all inserts are not created equal, so are CPEDs. A store was listed in Bangor, ME. Turns out that individual had not worked there, or any other of their branches in some time. Frustrating in the twillies sometimes.

not sure if you are dense.....but you could call them and ask them to refer you to a practicioner in your area. try 888-650-7653 they will be happy to help.

peace
mf

Lilred
01-02-2008, 12:40
I know this sounds too good to be true, but if you want the pain to go away, go out and buy a pair of those awful looking crocs and wear them 100% of the time. I had pf in my left foot. I was sectioning from miss janet's house, and while I was hiking my foot felt fine. If I stopped for just 5 minutes, the pain would come back. I could be in pain and limping, but the second I put those crocs on, the pain went away along with the limp. My doctor said it was because of the hard, thick rubber sole. Something Rock eluded to in an earlier post. He also gave me a pair of custom orthotic insoles. The key word there is custom. They only cost $90 and are heated and conformed to your foot. They last forever, never have to buy another pair. IF I were you, I'd go out right now to a place that sold crocs, not a copycat brand. Try a pair on, walk around on them for a little while and see if they don't take care of that pain. I've told a few of my coworkers about the relief I got, and now they swear by them too. I wore nothing but crocs for about three months and my pf is gone now. Good luck.

Lilred
01-02-2008, 12:48
oh, and btw, I never did any stretching exercises, never went to a foot doctor, (the orthotics were sold to me by a chiropractor), never wore anything on my foot at night. The only thing I did to relieve the pain was wore the crocs. I never went barefoot even around my house. Got out of bed and put on the crocs and didn't take them off till I went to bed, for three months. The pain has been gone for over a year now. At one point, my pain was so bad I couldn't stand the weight of my bed sheet on my foot. Save yourself a lot of money and time and try those crocs first.

Blissful
01-02-2008, 13:38
Ditto on wearing Crocs. I NEVER go barefoot. Crocs all the time while in the house. And I switched to trail runners to hike in with Spenco hiker green insoles (I pronate so I went with Brooks Adrenaline ASR which has a rigid footbed. Brooks is excellent for pronators). I found rigid custom orthotics and superfeet too hard on my tender arches, but the Spenco fit the bill for me. And the softer hiking boots - if you pronote, don't support your foot correctly.

If you do go, be sure to go to a podiatrist who is sports minded.

Newb
01-02-2008, 14:25
I got PF last year (April) hiking the AT in Georgia. It took me 7 months to get over it. I suggest getting a night-splint to keep the foot flexed. Also, stretch religiously and use ice while you're sitting in one place.

Also, I went and got rid of my hiking boots and got trail runners. I've also got (expensive) orthotic inserts. I don't ever want to go through PF again. stretch stretch stretch and don't keep hiking if your tendons start to flare up.

Jaybird
01-02-2008, 14:36
I have had pain in my foot (heel & arch) for over 10 months. Its worse some days than others. I thought it was age and years of sports catching up with me. After talking to my family doctor, he quickly determined it was classic Plantar Fasciitis. .......ETC.......Has anyone had this and can you offer any advise on how to get this to heal as fast as possible..

IF you start the trail on an injured foot...it WONT heal.
take it for what its worth.
take your Doctors advice...
didnt wanna hear that did u?:D

Smile
01-02-2008, 18:17
Get ultrasound treatments, they are very fast for most people to heal. Can't hurt to give it a try, they feel pretty good too. :)

drumbeat
01-02-2008, 21:28
Get ultrasound treatments, they are very fast for most people to heal. Can't hurt to give it a try, they feel pretty good too. :)

Thats the docs advise and will probably go with it, plus I know someone that had that done and now has had no pain for over 2 years, but I like LilRed's crocs idea to, think I'll give that a try as well along with a little stretching.

shoe
01-02-2008, 22:49
I am going through this currently.
I have the custom orthotics which I can't stand.
I have the night splint thingie.
I did the shots.
I am doing the physical therapy with ultrasound and laser therapy
Next up is my surgery on Jan 11.

This has screwed up my thru hike plans for this year since my money will be gone.

I would recommend seeing a specialist. Different things work for different people or maybe not work at all.

MtnBikerGuy
01-04-2008, 22:27
Thanks to all for the advise and suggestions. I have been doing stretching and I do notice it helps. I have a podiatrist appointment on Monday, so that should be the first step to painless steps. Thanks again to everyone. I can always count on WB'ers.

Purple
02-10-2008, 02:48
LiLRed is correct .. wear the Crocs, even shoping, they are very STYLISH these days. But don't use the Wally World or Dollar Store knockoffs.

This is a "night splint" that works FIRST night you use it. I was amazed. Its great if you sleep straight thru the night, but if you get up often it is aggravating to have to either hop to the bathroom, cause you are not suppose to put your weight on it, or take it off and put it back on each time you get up. I finally figured a way to walk on my heel which helps with the stretching part. Similar products sale for upward of $89. I like this one because it does not TOUCH the bottom of my heel - OUCH! I can't stand for my heel to lay on the bed much less have something strap to it so no matter how I turn the pressure is still there. You do not have that problem with this splint.

http://www.futurous.com/products/supports_product.asp?ProdID=402&UPC=048507

I got mine at CVS Pharmacy then discovered it is $10 cheaper at Walgreens. I could not find it at Walmart here in Augusta. Shop around for the best price because it is the same exact product at all the stores.

Mr. Clean
02-10-2008, 05:44
What helped for me were stiff insoles, shoes with good support, and stretches. The biggest thing I have found is that as I get older, my hamstring gets tighter, so I stretch them by simply bending over and touching the floor with my hands. I do this every half hour while hiking, too. Good luck with the foot doc and for your hike.

BigStu
02-10-2008, 05:57
.......so I stretch them by simply bending over and touching the floor with my hands

Simply ? I can touch the floor with my hands only if I bends my knees or fall over :rolleyes:

Don't doubt that it works but I will stick to stretching I think

mudhead
02-10-2008, 11:04
Sit on floor. Point toes up. Grab ankles where you can. Bend elbows out and up. Gentle. You might like it!

Gentle, now.

Lilred
02-10-2008, 11:20
What helped for me were stiff insoles, shoes with good support, and stretches. The biggest thing I have found is that as I get older, my hamstring gets tighter, so I stretch them by simply bending over and touching the floor with my hands. I do this every half hour while hiking, too. Good luck with the foot doc and for your hike.

show off.......

superman
02-10-2008, 12:34
When I was young...up to my late 40s I could easily touch the palms of my hands to my heels. I was running marathons and was very active. I hiked the AT in my 50s. Now that I'm in my 60s and have had an ongoing problem with my feet. It has reduced my running to zero miles a week and at times I've been hobbled. Thanks to some good advice in White Blaze and a doctor that knew what to do I'm symptom free. My instructions are to continue the stretching and start increasing my exercise 30 days after I am symptom free. The aging process does not treat us all equally but there is no substitute for getting good information.

Sherpa '03
02-10-2008, 13:09
PF really sucks! I've struggled with it in my right heel for 4 years on and off after my '03 hike.....Get to the specialist, stretch, everyone's a little different. For me I NEED my orthotics or in a matter of a day or so I'm back in pain -- also the dreaded "night splint" helped me the best to recover. My doc told me that surgery would be a last resort -- they actually would sever the PF and when it grows back his experience has been that the pain stays away -- When I hike again, I'll talk a cloth "night splint" with me -- irregardless of the weight -- it, for me, is that necessary.....Best of Luck!