PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike departure time

Tony
12-31-2007, 23:52
I will be retiring from the Marine Corps in late 2009 (Aug-Oct time frame). My plan currently is to wait until March 2010 to start my thru-hike however, I am wondering what the conditions are like doing a NoBo right after I retire. I understand that I would be in the mountains for most of the winter months. Looking for the experience and recommendations of those here who have hiked NoBo and what they would say. I am probably going to stick to the original step off date to give me more time with the wife to set up all the final prep stuff (i.e., mail drops, gear checks, last minute planning). Just figured I would ask and see what you all would recommend.

Thanks for the help in advance....
Tony

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 00:31
Crusty if you started in August and headed south you would most likely be in the Smokies about right now. This means you would have nights in the 10-20 degree range with possible lows in the single digits on the really bad nights. There would be snow, not too deep normally but the chance it could be bad. You would probably be getting down to Springer around the middle to end of next month. It would not be too terribly bad for an old Marine to hack. If you waited until later than that you may as well wait until next Spring to start or do like me and start in January in the south if you are tired of waiting until spring.

Just a Hiker
01-01-2008, 00:40
Semper Fi Marine! If you retire (or go on terminal leave) in August, you could SOBO and be finished by January sometime or early February.

Just Jim

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 00:47
Absolutly. I'm starting my terminal leave the 26th of this month and planned to start the next day. I've got so much leave accrued I'm getting paid for near 3.25 months of hiking.

But since I am so short I need a step stool to see myself in the mirror my unit has me doing NOTHING and I live a couple of miles from the AT - I'm planning to take some 4 day passes and start before my terminal leave even begins. Just consider the days off the trail this month as Zeros.

If this old Army guy can hike in ****ty weather, I know a Marine can get out there.

Good luck man.

Tony
01-01-2008, 02:18
I just talked to my wife tonight about my plan to hike the AT. She knew that I wanted to do the trail before I turned 50, however, she just found out tonight that I want to do a thru-hike in 2010. Surprisingly, she said ok. To be honest, wasn't sure what response I would have gotten however, I am going after this like Rocky after his wife came out of the coma and said "Win". LOL I appreciate the input and look to be more active on the boards now that the shadowy veil has been dropped and my lurking revealed.

Sgt Rock, look forward to meeting you someday at one of the events or on the trail itself. I have enjoyed/will continue to enjoy your postings.

Talk at you all in a while. (surfing whiteblaze)

Tony

Tony
01-01-2008, 02:28
Already planning to step off down south as my Brother in Law lives near Atlanta. However, I will see what happens as the date get's closer. LOL

Thanks

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 09:07
Good luck with that. Lets us know how we can help in the future.

Pedaling Fool
01-01-2008, 12:44
Absolutly. I'm starting my terminal leave the 26th of this month and planned to start the next day...
Hey Rock, why you leaving so early? Damn Cold!

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 12:47
It's either sit around the house driving my wife nuts or just suck it up and go hiking.

Red Hat
01-01-2008, 17:18
Yep, I'll be sitting around the house driving my husband nuts till I start my SOBO, but I'll be warm...

Pedaling Fool
01-01-2008, 17:22
Were suppose to have a high ~45 degrees here in Florida tomorrow, DAMN COLD.

Hooch
01-01-2008, 17:30
Tony, Marine to Marine, Semper Fi and best wished for your thru in 2010. :welcome to White Blaze, I'm sure that you'll find plenty of intl on here tohelp ypu in your thru planning. I saw that you're on Parris Island, I took an 11 week vacation there after I graduated from high school in 1987, graduating from Delta Co, 2d RTBN. Anyway, best of luck and glad to have you aboard.

Hooch
CPL, USMC
1987-1991

SGT, USMCR
1991-1995

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 18:16
Tony, Marine to Marine, Semper Fi and best wished for your thru in 2010. :welcome to White Blaze, I'm sure that you'll find plenty of intl on here tohelp ypu in your thru planning. I saw that you're on Parris Island, I took an 11 week vacation there after I graduated from high school in 1987, graduating from Delta Co, 2d RTBN. Anyway, best of luck and glad to have you aboard.

Hooch
CPL, USMC
1987-1991

SGT, USMCR
1991-1995

11 weeks? mine was 13. H Co., 3rd Bn. 1977

Spirit Walker
01-01-2008, 18:21
The problem with going north starting in August is that you wouldn't be able to finish the trail, even if the weather cooperates and you have a mild autumn/early winter all the way. Katahdin doesn't let hikers in during the winter unless they are in a group and equipped for winter mountaineering. Generally the mountain closes in mid-October and opens again at the end of May (sometimes later). The southern mountains are higher, but the trail is better (less rock climbing) so it is better to hike the northern mountains when they aren't covered with snow and ice. SOBO works better for a late start unless you plan to stretch it out to the following June.

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 18:25
I assume he was going to hike SOBO if he started in August. That is why I said he would be in the Smokies around this time if he does.

Hooch
01-01-2008, 18:25
11 weeks? mine was 13. H Co., 3rd Bn. 1977Yeah, but that's when body armor was made out of chain mail. :eek:

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 18:26
The problem with going north starting in August is that you wouldn't be able to finish the trail, even if the weather cooperates and you have a mild autumn/early winter all the way. Katahdin doesn't let hikers in during the winter unless they are in a group and equipped for winter mountaineering.

a great reason to move the northern terminus out of the constrictive, elitist baxter park

Kirby
01-01-2008, 18:27
a great reason to move the northern terminus out of the constrictive, elitist baxter park

Where should it end?:-?

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 18:29
Whitecap Mountain

Kirby
01-01-2008, 18:32
Whitecap Mountain

100 mile wilderness whitecap?

If so, that would be a good ending spot, impressive summit and view, of...Mount Katahdin.

Kirby

rafe
01-01-2008, 18:34
Isn't the internet great? Any fool can re-engineer the Appalachian Trail... without lifting a finger or breaking a sweat.

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 18:37
And the ones tht don't lift a finger or break a sweat that don't want to change things can pat themselves on the back for wanting nothing done too.

What a country.

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 18:40
Isn't the internet great? Any fool can re-engineer the Appalachian Trail... without lifting a finger or breaking a sweat.

nobody is re-engineering anything sweetie. just commenting. i bet i done more trail maintaining than you. :)

rickb
01-01-2008, 18:43
Still a lame idea, LW.

rafe
01-01-2008, 18:44
And the ones tht don't lift a finger or break a sweat that don't want to change things can pat themselves on the back for wanting nothing done too.

Oh, there's plenty of stuff I'd like to change... but you know, for all its faults, the AT is pretty low on my list of things that need fixin'. Benton and Myron got it mostly right the first time. :D

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 18:45
Still a lame idea, LW.

nope. great idea. you enter baxter and feel choked, confined and regulated. F that park

rafe
01-01-2008, 18:46
you enter baxter and feel choked, confined and regulated.

Speak for yourself. I felt fine. :D

rickb
01-01-2008, 18:47
Glad you have feelings, LW.

Some people are drawn to Baxter Peak. Others are content to stop earlier.

Peace.

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 18:47
Oh, there's plenty of stuff I'd like to change... but you know, for all its faults, the AT is pretty low on my list of things that need fixin'. Benton and Myron got it mostly right the first time. :D
Good point, but things do get changed. Relocations for various reasons happen. Seems a few decades ago the southern terminus was on a whole different mountain and they shortened the trail because of the way that land was managed. Thankfully Baxter manages their land diferently and I haven't been up there to say one way or the other - so for now I have no dog in this hunt.

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 18:48

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 18:49
Speak for yourself. I felt fine. :D

cuz you're a sheeple and content with that

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 18:49
Glad you have feelings, LW.

Some people are drawn to Baxter Peak. Others are content to stop earlier.

Peace.

sheeple

mudhead
01-01-2008, 18:51
nope. great idea. you enter baxter and feel choked, confined and regulated. F that park

You are not the only one.

Good hiking, you have to admit.

Just alot of people that need a time out pill.

Kirby
01-01-2008, 19:09
BSP is a great park, well maintained and managed.

However, they do push the envelope on the regulations. If someone wants to venture up the mountain in winter, let them, just for warn them tax payer money is not being spent to rescue them when they screw up.

There is a mountain north or Katahdin in the park I have been meaning to hike, can't remember the name of it though. Used to be a volcano.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 19:22
BSP is a great park, well maintained and managed.

However, they do push the envelope on the regulations. If someone wants to venture up the mountain in winter, let them, just for warn them tax payer money is not being spent to rescue them when they screw up.

There is a mountain north or Katahdin in the park I have been meaning to hike, can't remember the name of it though. Used to be a volcano.

Kirby

but 'ol Buzz would help help you out with helicopters and such if you were a high profile thru-hiker. no charge. buncha BS

The Mechanical Man
01-01-2008, 19:54
but 'ol Buzz would help help you out with helicopters and such if you were a high profile thru-hiker. no charge. buncha BS

Hey L Wolf, ........Are you related to Ward Lenoard?

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 19:55

what kinda retarded ? is that, scooter :-?

Pedaling Fool
01-01-2008, 19:56
...There is a mountain north or Katahdin in the park I have been meaning to hike, can't remember the name of it though. Used to be a volcano.

Kirby
How far is it and what's it altitude? I thought it kind of strange that the mountains seem to disappear around the 100 mile wilderness and Katahdin, I wonder how far north they start popping up again?

The Mechanical Man
01-01-2008, 20:00
what kinda retarded ? is that, scooter :-?

You sound exactly like him, .................when I asked him if he'd been kicked out of Baxter park.

No kidding

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 20:01
you make no sense. you've never been to baxter or met ward

The Mechanical Man
01-01-2008, 20:05
you make no sense. you've never been to baxter or met ward

Now, who is playing mr. know it all?

I was being truthful and thought we could get along on this site.
Is the truce over?

Yahtzee
01-01-2008, 20:06
Not sure this is on the radar Tony, but if you left Springer in Aug and gave it a good push for 6 weeks, you could probably flip up to K in mid Sept. You'd beat the worst of the cold up north and the mid-Atlantic on your way down to where you flipped from. A southbound makes more sense, tho, if you are going to start in Aug. Will be fun anyway you spin it.

Tony
01-01-2008, 20:10
Wonderful! I go watch a movie to get out of the barracks and everyone starts posting. LOL If I leave in March I will be NoBo; if in August - SoBo. Wife and I are still in discussions and planning on how I am going to do this. I have "get ready" support if I need it in Atlanta however in Maine I have squat. Pretty resigned to doing the NoBo at this point all the way.

Tony
01-01-2008, 20:16
Thanks for the helpful info everyone. I am original San Diego Boot since I lived in Mich when I signed up. Started Boot Camp back in Jan 83. No complaints. Living on Parris Island though has it's moments, especially the kids going through DI School. They are constantly calling cadence as they walk on the catwalks around the barracks after hours. Would make a good Duck Hunt kind of video game though LOL. J/k

Nice to know I am not the only Marine around here. Guess most that get out have packed gear enough where hitting the trails might not be as appetizing for them. LOL Anyway, I just saw "I am Legend"....wait for it to come out in DVD or watch it during Matinee, not worth spending $10+ on.

~Lurking~

Kirby
01-01-2008, 20:24
John Gault:
I will try to find the article that was in my local paper a few weeks back.

Kirby

ofthearth
01-02-2008, 08:30
I will be retiring from the Marine Corps in late 2009 (Aug-Oct time frame). My plan currently is to wait until March 2010 to start my thru-hike however, I am wondering what the conditions are like doing a NoBo right after I retire. I understand that I would be in the mountains for most of the winter months. Looking for the experience and recommendations of those here who have hiked NoBo and what they would say. I am probably going to stick to the original step off date to give me more time with the wife to set up all the final prep stuff (i.e., mail drops, gear checks, last minute planning). Just figured I would ask and see what you all would recommend.

Thanks for the help in advance....
Tony

Absolutly. I'm starting my terminal leave the 26th of this month and planned to start the next day. I've got so much leave accrued I'm getting paid for near 3.25 months of hiking.

But since I am so short I need a step stool to see myself in the mirror my unit has me doing NOTHING and I live a couple of miles from the AT - I'm planning to take some 4 day passes and start before my terminal leave even begins. Just consider the days off the trail this month as Zeros.

If this old Army guy can hike in ****ty weather, I know a Marine can get out there.

Good luck man.

There's a great trail in Florida that would get you out of the house in Jan or so (and warm weather - well warmer anyway), get you in shape (sorta flat), and if you did the Pinhoti really get you out of the house for awhile.

ofthearht

dessertrat
01-02-2008, 10:00

I don't think they are elitist as much as not wanting to constantly rescue people in three feet of snow and zero degree weather. They will let you in; you just have to show that you are prepared!:eek:

Kirby
01-02-2008, 12:47
I don't think they are elitist as much as not wanting to constantly rescue people in three feet of snow and zero degree weather. They will let you in; you just have to show that you are prepared!:eek:

They could simply create a waiver letting people know that when things go wrong, and they need rescue, rescue will only be sent in perfect weather. Rescue operations in winter, from what I hear, can be very difficult on SAR.

If you want to winter hike in Maine, simply go anywhere but Baxter State Park. There are great places to winter hike(Bigelows, Saddleback, Whitecap) that do not have restrictions on them. The State of Maine basically tells you to have common sense.

Kirby

rafe
01-02-2008, 20:22

Snerk. Only in temperament. LW's as ornery online as WL is on-trail.

rafe
01-02-2008, 20:26

so just what is it that those birkenstock-wearin', kumbaya-singin', librul leftist yankee elitists wouldn't let you do? this oughta be good. :D :cool: :-? :eek: :banana:p ;)

Lone Wolf
01-02-2008, 20:37
so just what is it that those birkenstock-wearin', kumbaya-singin', librul leftist yankee elitists wouldn't let you do?

nothin'. i've always done what i wanted to do in the park

slow
01-02-2008, 20:51
nothin'. i've always done what i wanted to do in the park

Can you tent ..so you can sleep on your belly?:D

River Runner
01-03-2008, 02:45
I haven't thru-hiked, and I haven't hiked in Baxter State Park, but as a section hiker who hopes to eventually complete the whole trail, the rules & regulations in that area, the Whites, and the Smoky Mountains all seem a little intimidating to me. It makes me wonder how difficult it will be for me to make arrangements for hiking those sections when the time comes.

rafe
01-03-2008, 10:34
I haven't thru-hiked, and I haven't hiked in Baxter State Park, but as a section hiker who hopes to eventually complete the whole trail, the rules & regulations in that area, the Whites, and the Smoky Mountains all seem a little intimidating to me. It makes me wonder how difficult it will be for me to make arrangements for hiking those sections when the time comes.

You'll manage, and figure something out when you get there. A few thousand thru hikers have made it through over the years, and even more day-hikers and weekenders. Very few were rocket scientists. No need to dwell on this "problem."

Kirby
01-03-2008, 17:30
You'll manage, and figure something out when you get there. A few thousand thru hikers have made it through over the years, and even more day-hikers and weekenders. Very few were rocket scientists. No need to dwell on this "problem."

Well, thru hikers, and those coming walking at least 100 miles to get to BSP have their own special campsite that does not require advanced knowledge of when you will arrive.

If you plan to do BSP on a weekend, especially in the summer time or September and early October, you are best to know in advance when you want to be there, and reserve a campsite a couple months out when possible.

Unless you L. Wolf, in which case don't worry about it.:D

Kirby

rafe
01-03-2008, 17:36
Kirby, I was thinking more about the Whites, which lots of hikers worry and complain about. I've never had any issues with Baxter, but my last visit there was a long time ago.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 17:37
Unless you L. Wolf, in which case don't worry about it.:D

yeah it's great sense of freedom never having to worry about treating water, hanging food or where i'll sleep at night

Kirby
01-03-2008, 17:56
Kirby, I was thinking more about the Whites, which lots of hikers worry and complain about. I've never had any issues with Baxter, but my last visit there was a long time ago.

After this last season, they might become tighter on their rules.

Kirby

rafe
01-03-2008, 18:01
After this last season, they might become tighter on their rules.

Why? Did something untoward happen?

All I know is that they moved (or removed) the shelter at Daicey Pond, many years ago. Too bad, it was a nice site. On my other visits to Baxter, I wasn't thru-hiking.

Kirby
01-03-2008, 18:07
Why? Did something untoward happen?

All I know is that they moved (or removed) the shelter at Daicey Pond, many years ago. Too bad, it was a nice site. On my other visits to Baxter, I wasn't thru-hiking.

From what I have been told, they moved the Daicey Bond site to Katahdin stream, and what is now the Birches, because thru hikers were making a lot of noise and causing trouble, and the park wanted them closer to the ranger's station, that way they can be kept under control.

This season in the park, on the same day, someone was killed be electrocution, and there was a hiker missing above tree line after dark, during this thunder and lightening storm.

This is what leads me to believe they will become tougher, IMO.

Kirby

Pedaling Fool
01-03-2008, 18:55
...This season in the park, on the same day, someone was killed be electrocution, and there was a hiker missing above tree line after dark, during this thunder and lightening storm...Kirby
By electrocution, you mean lightening strike? Do you have a news report on this/these incident(s), I would be interested in the details of both.

Kirby
01-03-2008, 20:54
By electrocution, you mean lightening strike? Do you have a news report on this/these incident(s), I would be interested in the details of both.

Here is the story for the lightning strike:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2007/08/26/lightning_strike_kills_baxter_camper/

I can not find the story about the missing climber, I will email Bluebearee(she was the one who told me about the incident), the Abol Bridge trail runner, and see if she can either find more information, or pass along some information.

Kirby

Pedaling Fool
01-03-2008, 21:37
Thanks Kirby

rafe
01-03-2008, 21:48
Interesting article, Kirby, but I wonder what rule Baxter might alter to reduce the risk of a lightning strike to a hiker? :rolleyes:

Montego
01-03-2008, 22:16
NO camping without reservations.
NO open fires.
NO fishing.
NO swimming.
NO bathing in streams.
NO disposal of grey water,
NO unauthorized lightning allowed :D

Kirby
01-03-2008, 22:32
Information I just received:
Baxter State Park will not be changing any policies, they did revise their lightening literature due to the incident, but no policy change is forth coming.

I have also be notified the missing hiker story did not generate that much publicity, but I have confirmed that there was a missing hiker on the mountain that night. I was told it did not generate that much publicity because that happens a few times a season.

I personally think the Ranger's at Baxter State Park will just keep a closer eye on visitors during storms like that, although they are pretty good about it as of right now.

Hope this helps,
Kirby

kroe
02-05-2008, 23:37
Of course you theoretically could start hiking northward in August-October (one thing to look out for though is that I believe some of the northern parts are closed for part of the winter - I'm not sure though, so you'll want to check on this). I just don't see why you'd want to do such a thing. You'd end up spending most of your time cold and wet. You're a Marine; I'm sure you can take it. I'm just not sure it would be so enjoyable, and I'm assuming you're hiking the AT for the enjoyment of it. Unless you have a really compelling reason to go in 2009, I'd recommend waiting until March 2010.