PDA

View Full Version : Dog and Hiking (Trek) Poles

SunnyWalker
01-01-2008, 00:32
I think that taking a dog on a thru hike would be great. I think I can get around the "obstacles" with my committment to make it work. Here is one question that seems kind of funny maybe. I have not taken a dog on a hike yet so here is a question. I like using hiking/trek poles. Well, how can one use trek poles and have your dog on a leash at the same time? One or the other has to go or dog is on the loose??
-SunnyWalker:sun:welcome:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 00:34
I think that taking a dog on a thru hike would be great. I think I can get around the "obstacles" with my committment to make it work. Here is one question that seems kind of funny maybe. I have not taken a dog on a hike yet so here is a question. I like using hiking/trek poles. Well, how can one use trek poles and have your dog on a leash at the same time? One or the other has to go or dog is on the loose??
-SunnyWalker:sun:welcome:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?
I hooked the dog's leash to my sternum strap.

SteveJ
01-01-2008, 00:44
I always hook Phoebe to my pack waist belt. She thinks she should be the lead dog, anyway. This allows her to lead the way. I have her on a 16 ft flexi, which gives her the "flexibilty" and a few seconds to stop on the side of the trail and smell whatever it is that she needs to smell every few minutes. A slight tug on the leash from my pole as the flexi lead extends completely brings her running back to the front..... I can also easily reel her in as we meet other hikers on the trail.....

Bonus is that she gives you about a 5 lb tug giong uphill!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9362&catid=member&imageuser=6309

Gaiter
01-01-2008, 02:13
a second on the waist belt, and i kept it there even when she wasn't on it, always prepared to quickly put her on a leash

wrongway_08
01-01-2008, 11:19
Waist belt..... but make sure you train your dog to walk beside you at home first, try to teach him to walk at your side or up to 2 feet in front.

Also make sure he knows your commands for:
- Stay
- Sit
- Heel
- Lay
and that he will follow them the first time. Important for the safety of your dog and other hikers.

I am working with mine now and will have my first chance at testing him out this Jan, during or winter hike...........should be fun.

Nearly Normal
01-01-2008, 11:36
Leash??

SteveJ
01-01-2008, 11:51
Leash??

What's your point? Every post in this thread has mentioned a leash.

Nearly Normal
01-01-2008, 11:54
What's your point? Every post in this thread has mentioned a leash.

Most of the dogs I see when hiking don't have one.

Skyline
01-01-2008, 11:56
Compromise. One Leki pole, leash in other hand. Switch sides occasionally.

You made one statement that deserves some more discussion IMHO: "I think I can get around the "obstacles" with my committment to make it work."

What about looking at it from the dog's perspective, too.

I'm not anti-trail dawg by any means. In fact I hike with mine all the time. But since I've finished the AT, these are shorter trips--usually 2 to 8 days. My dawg can adapt and have a great time out there in that sort of time window. I've seen far too many who've been out for 2, 3, or 4 months who looked like they're on a death march. By the heat and humidity of July and August, that's exactly what it became for more than one.

Have a long heart-to-heart with your best friend and get back to us.

yappy
01-01-2008, 11:58
hike a trail where you don't have to put the dog on a leash.....dogs aren't supposed to go 2 miles an hr all freaking day long for months on end. HELLO...

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2008, 11:59
True. And most dogs are if anything just overly friendly. But there are many areas(almost half the AT) where leashes are technically required by law by various jurisdictions.

NorthCountryWoods
01-04-2008, 17:08
When I used to use poles, actually even now that I don't, the leash is binered to the back of my pack. Might not be a good idea with an uncontrolled or big dog.

SunnyWalker
01-04-2008, 20:36
Thanks everyone. Wow, I should have thought of these ideas. This is a no brainer and sorry about it. Also, the idea of my slave dog pulling me along sounds kind of nice, escpecially up hill. (Just kidding on the slave dog idea). -SunnyWalker

Hammer and Nails
01-25-2008, 01:49
I've got two dogs and one likes to be in front of me more, and the other likes walking behind me more. I have to say I prefer the one walking behind me - and she's the one doing the AT with me - because she stays out of the way all the time. In fact, the trekking poles actually corral her behind me perfectly. If I had the choice of training the other one over again, I'd work hard to get him to stay behind.

desdemona
01-31-2008, 00:08
Actually when I took Torie to obedience class we learned "walk" (not quite as strict as heel) with a waist leash (they actually make one-- I have two, one that is strictly a waist belt and one that is a regular leash with an extra hook so you can attach where you want. Though I am not sure where to get this.)
Anyway, the idea was that the dog would walk without any sort of pressure or pulling. If the dog learns on your waist there is no point in pulling and tugging. Your dog learns to respond to your voice and also treats (which you sort of get away from). I wouldn't say she is perfect, but much better than a lot of regular leash trained dogs are and MUCH more responsive to voice.

If your dog is a good trail dog anyway, she should learn this quick enough.
The trail and being with you are a great reward. You can experiment with it by just tying the leash around your waist-- or you could go one handed.

--des

SunnyWalker
05-15-2008, 23:25
Sounds like I need to take the dog and teach and practice before we hit the trail. ??!???

desdemona
05-15-2008, 23:54
Sounds like I need to take the dog and teach and practice before we hit the trail. ??!???

I agree. Though the situations aren't exactly equivalent. Since Torie is a herding breed, she considers hiking her job and calling and has an air of responsibility (might sound funny, unless you have a working or herding dog)
that she never has around the neighborhood.

Dogs dont' really generalize that well, so each situation is a bit different. But they should have things like a reliable recall, "leave it", "walk" (or whatever you want to use). I think you should also experiment re: how you want to attach your dog and so on, though you might revise that.

I use a single hiking stick, and switch off hands.

--des

glacier48
05-16-2008, 08:13
Sometimes it is difficult to hike with a dog and hiking poles. I do hook my dog on the hip belt but there are times when she wants to do her own thing. I am glad that you are willing to make accommodations for the dog. There are times (few and far between) that it would have been easier to have left the dog home but for the majority of the time I love the company and security of her company. I also love watching her enjoy the outdoors and thrill in the fresh air.

Glacier

twentybelow
05-16-2008, 10:34
In my opinion, training your dog to respond immediately to verbal commands is well worth the effort. Your companion will enjoy the trail far more on a mental leash than he/she will on a physical tether, and my guess is that you will too.

Big Sky
05-16-2008, 11:50

Absolutely. As a proud owner of an enormous golden retriever, I can tell you that excellent and frequent training is paramount. My golden is too old now to go hiking with me (he is 15) and I am so sad that he is nearing the end of his long, happy life. Even now in his fallen state, he behaves my every command.

Good training requires a lot of work. Make sure your dog absolutely knows at least the basics, most especially if you're going to let him/her run freely. Sit and stay are good, but I've found that by far the best thing to teach a dog is to "recall." This just means that the dog will return to you when you issue the command. I just would shout "COME!" to Sandy and if he was really excited over another dog or a person, I'd give him a crumble of a treat when he returned as a reward and quickly attach the leash.

kanga
05-19-2008, 10:55
unless we're out on some big balds where they can get in some running and play time (and sometimes even then) my dogs hike behind me off the leash without exception. we run into other dogs, and people who don't like dogs, all the time and having them behind me makes it possible to put them on a leash and step to the side of the trail before making contact with others. all 3 of mine are extremely well-trained to voice commands, but sometimes instinct takes over and i think it's better to be safe than sorry. on top of that, when you get away from town, pack nature usually takes over and having your dogs walk behind reinforces who's alpha dog - something that's necessary if they're going to be off the leash.

kanga
05-19-2008, 10:59
back to the pole thing, though, my hiking partner uses poles (i don't) and he has found them extremely useful to train our newest hiking puppy to hike behind. anytime she tries to go around him, he sticks out a pole and corrals her back onto the trail. he never has to break stride and we're both pleased with the results (it beats the heck out of constantly tugging on a leash).

Captain
05-22-2008, 08:13
I always hook Phoebe to my pack waist belt. She thinks she should be the lead dog, anyway. This allows her to lead the way. I have her on a 16 ft flexi, which gives her the "flexibilty" and a few seconds to stop on the side of the trail and smell whatever it is that she needs to smell every few minutes. A slight tug on the leash from my pole as the flexi lead extends completely brings her running back to the front..... I can also easily reel her in as we meet other hikers on the trail.....

Bonus is that she gives you about a 5 lb tug giong uphill!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9362&catid=member&imageuser=6309

until it snaps and you get a nasty whack on the thigh or groin

Captain
05-22-2008, 08:15
oh ok not an elastic cord or bungee nvm

Foyt20
05-24-2008, 17:05
hahaha that was a great mental image :D

The Weasel
05-24-2008, 18:04
I use a retractible leash, and clip the handle to my left pole with a 'biner.

TW

SunnyWalker
07-24-2008, 23:15
If I were to take a dog with me it would not be for the dog to enjoy the hike. But for me to enjoy the hike. It centers around me, not the dog-as far as enjoyment. It is not that I do not care for the welfare of the dog, I do. But most of you are treating dogs like they are human, or can think like a human. Just because you are aware and self conscious, does nto follow the dog is. I don't think the dog wakes up and thinks "Hey another glorious day on the AT, alright!!! I'm having FUN!!!" I think the dog associates waking up with a brekfast/treat from the owner. And then during the day treats will follow etc. OK, blast away.

Plodderman
07-25-2008, 00:03
This past summer hiking from Atkins to Damascus we had a dog at alost every shelter. Some are better trained than others and even passing many dogs on the trail most of them just went right by. The only problem was at Partnership Shelter as the dog chased everything that moved in the woods but even that wasn't so bad as he obeyed his owner commands just wish there were a few more commands.

No real problems with dog owners and dogs on the trail. I will say this it seemed like on the trail the dog owners were pretty good hikers and seemed to have there hike well in hand.

SunnyWalker
07-25-2008, 23:53
Plodderman: is that an area of the trail that is kind of near population or something?

Wise Old Owl
08-02-2008, 22:20
Sometimes it is difficult to hike with a dog and hiking poles. I do hook my dog on the hip belt but there are times when she wants to do her own thing. I am glad that you are willing to make accommodations for the dog. There are times (few and far between) that it would have been easier to have left the dog home but for the majority of the time I love the company and security of her company. I also love watching her enjoy the outdoors and thrill in the fresh air.

Glacier

Actually dog & hikin poles are PITA, all kidding aside you are more than welcome to run JB weld in ample quantity between the retactor handle and the pole and then run a nice piece of leather thong or gimp & wrap the two together to make it look nice.

I hate the bulk of the retractor, I hate the fact that the nylon string is black, (I have had close calls with bikes- It should be dayglo) I have found a nice hand strap retractor that has a palm grip but didn't purchase it due to price. Clearly if you are using the retractor passing it throught the waist belt as others here have described is the easiest. But I know some of you wanted to attach it to the pole.

****SIDE NOTE**** After training Rugby to walk beside me and staying on the left as described by the Dog Wisperer on TV I found I needed a new command and it was easy "OUT IN FRONT" when the trail narrows! Rugby loves it! He trots ahead by about 16 -20 feet and I won't trip over him anymore.

Rouen
08-03-2008, 01:36
I attach my dogs leashes to the pack where shoulder strap meets waiste strap, this keeps the leashes out of the way and the dogs hike behind or beside me. I can tell what they're doing by the tension in the lead. generally Dingo brings up the rear giving me about a foot of space between his head and the back of my foot so no one gets hurt, and Sam stays at a heel. This set up leaves my hands free. If the trail narrows both of the dogs get behind, no command needed.

Plodderman
11-20-2008, 18:04
Sunnywalker I am not sure there is a lot of population around Damascus but the hikers had dogs so maybe they were on weekend trip and brought along their dogs.

superman
11-20-2008, 18:15

Yeah, that's what I saw also.

superman
11-20-2008, 18:18
If I were to take a dog with me it would not be for the dog to enjoy the hike. But for me to enjoy the hike. It centers around me, not the dog-as far as enjoyment. It is not that I do not care for the welfare of the dog, I do. But most of you are treating dogs like they are human, or can think like a human. Just because you are aware and self conscious, does nto follow the dog is. I don't think the dog wakes up and thinks "Hey another glorious day on the AT, alright!!! I'm having FUN!!!" I think the dog associates waking up with a brekfast/treat from the owner. And then during the day treats will follow etc. OK, blast away.

I think you're wrong.:)

ofthearth
11-20-2008, 19:00
Hiking With a Dog Considerations
http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=dogs

WB article