PDA

View Full Version : Graves near Deer Park Shelter?

HikerMan36
01-01-2008, 11:44
I am curious about the graves of George and Eva Gragg which are located near the Deer Park Shelter, South of Hot Springs. If anyone out there has any info. on this please share, I am interested in the history behind it.

Rain Man
01-01-2008, 14:15
Includes a photo of the gravestone and two blurbs. For what it's worth...

http://books.google.com/books?id=XRsC_EBRPEwC&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=%22george+and+eva+gragg%22&source=web&ots=BiBPBOcSI9&sig=2KtX9x6TUOZVTuKBDgW1ie9g_hM

I have this book, as it turns out.

Where is this gravestone? I missed it when I hiked through the area.

Rain:sunMan

Pedaling Fool
01-01-2008, 14:36
That looks like an outstanding book, when was it written? I'll now have to go to the book store today!

HikerMan36
01-01-2008, 15:38
Includes a photo of the gravestone and two blurbs. For what it's worth...

http://books.google.com/books?id=XRsC_EBRPEwC&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=%22george+and+eva+gragg%22&source=web&ots=BiBPBOcSI9&sig=2KtX9x6TUOZVTuKBDgW1ie9g_hM

I have this book, as it turns out.

Where is this gravestone? I missed it when I hiked through the area.

Thanks for the info. The gravesite was just a short distance (maybe 50 yds.) north from the spur trail leading to Deer Park Shelter. They (there are two graves) were set back into a little clearing just off of the trail.

Rain Man
01-01-2008, 16:36
That looks like an outstanding book, when was it written? I'll now have to go to the book store today!

2002. With due respect to the author, it's not a tightly-edited book. But it does compile some interesting things about some trail names and locations.

Rain Man
01-01-2008, 16:37
Thanks for the info. The gravesite was just a short distance (maybe 50 yds.) north from the spur trail leading to Deer Park Shelter. They (there are two graves) were set back into a little clearing just off of the trail.

That explains why we didn't see them. It was past dark and at the end of a long 16-mile day for my wife, when we hiked into Deer Park Shelter. Had I known, I would have gone back the next morning (before the short jaunt into Hot Springs) to take a gander and some photos.

No Directions
06-09-2014, 17:44
I came across these 2 graves today. I was surprised by a couple of things. The first was finding these 2 graves out in the middle of nowhere. The second is the inscription on Eva's headstone than said: "Absent Not Dead". Does anyone have any new info on this?

Ricky&Jack
06-09-2014, 20:33
I came across these 2 graves today. I was surprised by a couple of things. The first was finding these 2 graves out in the middle of nowhere. The second is the inscription on Eva's headstone than said: "Absent Not Dead". Does anyone have any new info on this?

The link that was posted above explains it. scroll down maybe an inch. its the caption to the headstone picture. explains what it means

SawnieRobertson
06-10-2014, 15:41
I remember them and how I briefly wondered why they had never been brought to my attention previously. You know though how the feet keep a-moving in spite of what the mind wonders. I was on my way to Hot Springs on what was a loooong day. I think my impression was that the gravestones belonged to people who had homesteaded on that land years and years ago.

Berry Belle
09-25-2015, 20:34
Could be a reference to beliefs similar to those reflected in this poem:

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

---Mary Elizabeth Frye

MuddyWaters
09-25-2015, 21:05
Could be a reference to beliefs similar to those reflected in this poem:

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

---Mary Elizabeth Frye

In victorian times from latter 1800s thru early 1900s it was very common to inscribe headstones with epitahs implying the deceased was not really dead. Sometimes referring to them as "only sleeping" or "still with us" in some way.