PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag for March...

Walchok98
01-01-2008, 12:12
What comfort rating should I use for my first section of the AT in late March from Springer to Fontanta. I have a 40* bag that I would like to use because it is very light and takes up nearly any room. I was concidering getting a micro fleece liner if I need to or should I just get a new bag all together. I am a hot sleeper and don't mind to sleep fully clothe. I will also be in a tent. Any help.

Tipi Walter
01-01-2008, 12:17
A 40 degree bag? You're gonna get cold. What's underneath??

rafe
01-01-2008, 12:23
I think most folks would agree... that rating's a bit light. The more accurate picture is this: you'll be fine on some nights, and miserable on others. Do not underestimate the weather in the southern Appalachians in the late winter and early spring.

Roots
01-01-2008, 12:52
I use a 25 degree bag. I also have a liner for it. The past few years we have experienced some late winter weather (last year the 1st week in April was a good one). There are lots of options on bags. Try looking on the gear reviews threads. :)

Walchok98
01-01-2008, 15:09
Under the bag is a Thermarest.

Tinker
01-01-2008, 15:21
Unless the bag is conservatively rated, 40 degrees is going to be too little insulation. I've experienced 30 degrees twice in 2006 in March (early March) during an unusually warm spring. 30 might be adequate, or 40 with supplemental clothing (I do that a lot - carry puffy down or synth. "camp clothing" to supplement my sleeping bag). With a tent that can be completely sealed against drafts, extra clothing, and a decent sleeping pad, it may be doable. Just try your existing gear at home in conditions worse than you ever expect to encounter. If you're resonably comfortable, you will probably be o.k.

(Notice the "mights" and "probablys").;)

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2008, 15:28
A 20 degree bag is pretty much a minimum in the mountains until May.

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 15:33
What comfort rating should I use for my first section of the AT in late March from Springer to Fontanta. I have a 40* bag that I would like to use because it is very light and takes up nearly any room. I was concidering getting a micro fleece liner if I need to or should I just get a new bag all together. I am a hot sleeper and don't mind to sleep fully clothe. I will also be in a tent. Any help.

you can get away with it. as long as you sleep in the tent with the fly on. i was at hawk mtn. one year in my tent in a 20deg. bag. the temp that night went down to 5 degrees. i was warm. the shelter dwellers were screwed. :D last year i hiked springer to hiawassee starting 22 march. temps. never went below 40 deg. at nite. you never know

Footslogger
01-01-2008, 15:34

====================================

I started March 29 (2003) and carried a 20 degree down bag. I had several chilly nights between Springer and Fontana, even with a 20 degree bag. I wore extra clothes to sleep in to make up the difference.

If you are generally a warm sleeper I think you could get by with a 20 degree bag. If you're a cold sleeper you might want to push that to 15 degrees.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 15:35
====================================

I started March 29 (2003) and carried a 20 degree down bag. I had several chilly nights between Springer and Fontana, even with a 20 degree bag. I wore extra clothes to sleep in to make up the difference.

If you are generally a warm sleeper I think you could get by with a 20 degree bag. If you're a cold sleeper you might want to push that to 15 degrees.

'Slogger

tent, tarp or shelter?

88BlueGT
01-01-2008, 17:22
No experience but I did some research for my thru-hike next year and I was convinced to go with a 15 degree bag. I am a cold sleeper though so a 15* bag seemed necessary for me. I am strongly considering a Marmot Helium.

River Runner
01-01-2008, 23:16
Don't forget it isn't just the temperature, it can be the wind chill too. And if your bag gets damp with condensation, a normal occurance over a hike of several days, it may lose a little insulating ability.

I concur with those who say take a quality 15-20 degree rated bag for March.